Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio - Track Cycling events - no spoiler tags required

Options
  • 10-08-2016 10:44am
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Rather than run different threads with track events we usuallly keep a single thread, but do not require any spoiler tags despite it running over several days

The track events start tomorrow Thursday, with the Men's Team Sprint and qualification for both the Team Pursuits

Full schedule here

Profile of the course:

(0m)__________________________________________(250m):pac:

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ireland has a single representative, Shannon McCurley in the Kierin, which takes place on Saturday

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ooh err missus! - Cav's not entirely happy

No idea why he's taken this view - it's been pretty clear all along he was only reserve for the TP, and was picked (and indeed quite fortunate to get the nod) for the Omnium.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think it's that sort of moaning that makes it hard to like Cavendish at times for some people. That said, maybe some of that quote is taken entirely out of context, he also says "Brad is stressed" before the making the "he wants to be the hero remark"

My reading of it is they wanted all 5 in the traning camp as you have to plan for the potential of losing any one of them

Hence it was absolutely right that Cav was dragged over to Newport if he wanted to ride in Rio (for all teams one of the 5 "nominated" endurance riders has to do the Omnium). The TP guys have a much better chance of gold than anyone has (even Laura Trott) in an Omnium as there is much more potential for something to go wrong in 6 events over 2 days than in 3 x 4 minute races with no opposition to wory about.

Of course Wiggins is going to be "team leader" and I'm sure they took into account his views on how everyone was performing when deciding who the "preferred" 4 would be. He undoubtedly has more pursuit experience that the rest of the team together.

Of course the reporter wants to make a story out of it so focuses on things he can dress up to suggest some disharmony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Beasty wrote: »
    Of course the reporter wants to make a story out of it so focuses on things he can dress up to suggest some disharmony.

You'd think though that Cav would have so much experience of interacting with the media that he'd fully know the kind of result of such quotes he'd give to the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

pelevin wrote: »

You'd think though that Cav would have so much experience of interacting with the media that he'd fully know the kind of result of such quotes he'd give to the press.
    Maybe that's not what he said. Sounds like the journalist was just looking for a story trying to stir things again. Plenty of cycling journalists would be more suited to the tabloids these days, would be nice if they focused on the actual sport itself and not gossip.

I'd forgotten about those left hand drive Felts the US are using (thanks for reminding me neris;)).

It will be interesting to see how they fare in the Team Pursuit tomorrow against the British girls with their new Cervelos

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

@Beasty, are those times you gave Rio or Irish?

They are local times - add 4 hours for our time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten about those left hand drive Felts the US are using (thanks for reminding me neris;)).

It will be interesting to see how they fare in the Team Pursuit tomorrow against the British girls with their new Cervelos

British are meant to be getting new carbonfibre chainrings

neris wrote: »
    British are meant to be getting new carbonfibre chainrings
    Not sure about the prospect of the sprinters putting 2,500w through them!

Having said that it may well be that the sprinters stick with the Cervelo T4 and leave the T5GB to the pursuiters

Chris Hoy was suggesting yesterday that Jason Kenny was on for 3 golds. Today will be the biggest test as the slightest thing going wrong in the Team Sprint will cost. They do have the fastest first lapper in the World with Philip Hindes and if the others can get on his wheel they will give themeslves a fair chance as the Germans have had to bring a reserve in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

^^^^ Except if they changed like that they'd get no where!

This is a much better example to look at IMO:

Interesting that the Australians start on their right legs. I feel better about my own right leg startage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Rather than run different threads with track events we usuallly keep a single thread, but do not require any spoiler tags despite it running over several days

The track events start tomorrow Thursday, with the Men's Team Sprint and qualification for both the Team Pursuits

Full schedule here

Profile of the course:

(0m)__________________________________________(250m):pac:

You're forgetting about the banking for the course profile!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You're forgetting about the banking for the course profile!
    I chose the best line, which is the shortest route, which is flatter then a pan. You only need to go up the hill if overtaking or moving up to allow someone else through;)

I chose the best line, which is the shortest route, which is flatter then a pan. You only need to go up the hill if overtaking or moving up to allow someone else through;)

Ah you and your technicalities!

Last night in the greater Russian metropolitan area so hopefully TVP1 or 2 are on point with the track cycling!

anyone know if the bbc will be showing it tonight on the normal tv channels? or maybe even rte?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Given the high odds of a medal I'd say they'd be on the regular channels:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/olympics/rio-2016-olympics-cycling-live-tv-guide-231244

Last night in the greater Russian metropolitan area
    "State Sponsored" trip I take it....

"State Sponsored" trip I take it....

I can neither confirm not deny the reason for my trip and my activities (save for those on strava) while I am in the Eastern Bloc. The walls eyes have eyes.

Last night in the greater Russian metropolitan area so hopefully TVP1 or 2 are on point with the track cycling!

Success! A few hours of it to look forward to!

One Irishman there with his red flag. Hope Paul Watson has an easy life of it out there.

Those french bikes look very sexy

GBR fastest with a new Olympic record, ahead of NZ, AUS, FRA, POL, NED, GER & VEN, with KOR failing to progress

Fastest (GBR) vs slowest (VEN) and so on in the next round with the 2 fastest winners going into the Gold medal race and the other 2 winners fighting for Bronze

Next up the Women's pursuit first round with again 1 team of 9 to be eliminated

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

neris wrote: »
    anyone know if the bbc will be showing it tonight on the normal tv channels? or maybe even rte?
    nee wrote: »
    Given the high odds of a medal I'd say they'd be on the regular channels:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/olympics/rio-2016-olympics-cycling-live-tv-guide-231244

Uninterrupted on one of the RBs. BBC1 has already left the track for a break to talk about another sport.

Germans messed up there. One woman did a long stint looking like she was going to pull out only to realise they had already lost a rider. That made it very tough for her to get back on.

• Advertisement

Why were the men on bbc on road style bars earliers but theres women on rtenow on tt style bars?

Advertisement