Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio - Track Cycling events - no spoiler tags required

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought Cav might have pushed harder for gold, might he be disappointed? He doesn't look overjoyed.

I suppose hadn't he messed up in the elimination he would have been in a much better place coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I ain't on it either but I disagree with what you are saying.

It's a fine line between an accident and deliberate action, you see it one way I see it another, I just think he has crossed that fine line a couple of times now, but that's part of what makes him the sprinter he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pantanifan84

What a race. Eh how can I tell the wife I "need" a track bike?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    What happened?
    He forced a rider off the track by coming down in a similar fashion (although not as sharp as it was coming onto the straight rather then on the steep bend) to Cav

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how do i tell the lotto we need 20 mill to build a velodrome in the town

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Track bikes are (OK can be!) very cheap with little to go wrong (until you crash in spectacular fashion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

the leader

I wonder does he sing "nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah leader" as he points.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If he doesn't, he should.

If he doesn't, he should.

"Leader, leader.....leader"

how do i tell the lotto we need 20 mill to build a velodrome in the town
    Original plans for a 200m track would have cost maybe a couple of million (morana was close to that). Current proposal, including all those badminton facilities, is around 6 million I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Beasty wrote: »
    Original plans for a 200m track would have cost maybe a couple of million (morana was close to that). Current proposal, including all those badminton facilities, is around 6 million I think

when i win the euromillions .................

For those of you infidels less versed in the fine art of the Simpsons wondering what the hell.we are on about...

https://youtu.be/1aYN5XpWzpM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just looking at the womens race. What head units are they using? I keep see flashing lights on their stems

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

What happened to all the talk of the USA track team using bikes with left hand cranks?

Trott 118
    D'Hoore 110
    Hammer 108

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fantastic performance from Trott.

godtabh wrote: »
    Just looking at the womens race. What head units are they using? I keep see flashing lights on their stems

That's to tell them they are out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What happened to all the talk of the USA track team using bikes with left hand cranks?

Hamer finished 3rd

Beasty wrote: »
    That's to tell them they are out

that's all?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

godtabh wrote: »

the yokes that tell em they're eliminated

• Advertisement

They were designed for the pursuit and were used in the TP and by Hammer in the Omnium IP

Just thinking - maybe I should move some poste to the aggressive behaviour among cyclists thread

:pac:

Those bottle holders they get are nice but hardly aero!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Viviani takes Gold in the blubbering competition!

CameraBag wrote: »
    For the riders who lap the field, presumably the number of laps is still considered to be that of the main bunch when they rejoin? They're not a lap ahead for the rest of the race, right?
    See this one never got a response

When a lap is taken everyone else ends up doing one lap less. That's part of the reason the Commissaire points to the "head of the race" - effectively the leader on the track, and when they pass the start line the lap counter drops.

Hence it's possible to "save" say 5 laps if there are 5 laps taken at different times

That was part of the confusion in the scratch race yesterday. Riders were within around 50m of taking a lap as they were about to enter their own last lap. The bell went and we all thought that bell was for the main bunch. However it appears they still had 2 laps to do. Some went for the line on the first of those 2 because they had heard the bell, but it had not been for them and they still had another lap to go.

EDIT - what I'm saying above is definitely the case for the Scratch race but I'm not so sure now about the Points race. If I remember I'll ask at Sundrive on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why wasn't Cavindish disqualified ??

he blatantly took the korean rider out of it, and why didn't the bbc cover it their post race summary ??

I've already posted my take in this thread - have a look back through the comments made at the time of and for a while after the incident

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, i've seen it but i don't agree with you...imo it was blatant

he didn't even have the decency to apologise in his post-race interview, bad form in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He apologised personally when they were cycling under the yellow flag to those still riding. I'm sure the Korean will get one, I doubt he was watching the BBC coverage at the time.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, i've seen it but i don't agree with you...imo it was blatant

he didn't even have the decency to apologise in his post-race interview, bad form in my book

He did actually. He said he hoped he was ok.

Advertisement