Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio - Track Cycling events - no spoiler tags required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Class last lap by Pervais there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Jeez, that was close

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just hope Philip Hindes' English has improved as I suspect the Beeb will be asking him a few questions after that!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Jeez, that was close

Another final lap swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Whats the race where they race 1 on 1 and crawl around the track covering each other till 1 rider tries to go full gas to the finish

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The sprint - 3 laps head to head with riders vying not to lead out too early

So tomorrow sees:

Women's Team Sprint
    The early rounds of the Men's Sprint (Jason Kenny looking to add to today's success)
    As well as the men's team pursuit 1st rounds and finals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Nisio wrote: »
    No one has a speedo on their bike are they talking turns based on perceived effort?

No PM's or speedo's pr HRM displays allowed on track in any event.

That was so exciting it was stressful!

nee wrote: »
    No PM's or speedo's pr HRM displays allowed on track in any event.
    Actually last year they allowed computers in the pursuit in the Europeans. Not seen them allow it at other events, but when I did see it I was wondering if they were changing policy for solo events like that

Beasty wrote: »
    Actually last year they allowed computers in the pursuit in the Europeans. Not seen them allow it at other events, but when I did see it I was wondering if they were changing policy for solo events like that

Nooooooooo! Ruins the purity of the effort and takes quite a bit of skill away to just be able to ride to a PM.
    I suppose it's the way of things.
    This makes me sad :(

• Advertisement

Nooooooooo! Ruins the purity of the effort and takes quite a bit of skill away to just be able to ride to a PM.
    I suppose it's the way of things.
    This makes me sad :(
    I've always got away with it in the IVCA champs anyway.....

I've always got away with it in the IVCA champs anyway.....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I'm telling on you :P

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I'm telling on you :P
    IVCA do not follow UCI rules (and indeed come up with rules on the hoof)

Also having access to a computer is really not very different to having someone on the side of the track calling out your lap times

IVCA do not follow UCI rules (and indeed come up with rules on the hoof)

Also having access to a computer is really not very different to having someone on the side of the track calling out your lap times

That's mad.

Na disagree! You can peek down anytime at a computer, you can miss someone calling out your times all the time!

That's mad.

Na disagree! You can peek down anytime at a computer, you can miss someone calling out your times all the time!
    I had someone calling out my times in the World Masters last October. Can still remember a few of the lap times he called! It's a bit different at Sundrive because the track is so long, but indoors it makes a massive difference. Without the influence of the wind I can estimate what power I'm putting out quite accurately and indeed that allows you to target lap times. I've only had the power data over the past 12 months or so, but now know exactly what times I need to do each lap indoors based on the data gleaned over the 3 indoor pursuits I now have data for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

GB were fcuking awesome tonight

RobFowl wrote: »
    Callum Skinner was another of the guys we saw at Sundrive in the International GP. He's really come on over the last few months and Jason Kenny's ability to target the major events does stand out.

It will be interesting to see if the USA can push the women pursuiters tomorrow. The men's sprint will only really come to a head on Saturday, but Chris Hoy seems very confident about Kenny's chances there and in the Kierin. It looks like they've timed their build up to the Olympics pretty much to perfection, as they managed to do in Beijing and London

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Isn't it funny though - I was rooting for the Brits on the track and taking massive delight at their ar$es being handed to them on a plate in the Rugby Sevens final!

Great viewing last night. Looking forward to more of the same tonight.

The French are well peeved at the Brits "from nowhere" form.

Edit: Forgot link.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-games-french-confounded-by-british-success-in-team-sprint/

Well Hindes has been proving himself as the best first lapper in the World for some time now. Kenny builds his whole career around the Olympic cycle - those who try and sustain it throughout struggle to raise their game when it matters. He knows he simply cannot reach those levels year after year. Skinner has been the revelation here, but he did get some decent practice at the International GP at Sundrive last year:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Qualifying for men's sprint on at the minute. Callum Skinner leads with a new Olympic record. Women's team sprint was on earlier, but only saw first two heats before RTE news now inexplicably switched to the exact same footage that was already being shown on RTE 2...

.... and not a bad start tonight! Fastest 2 through in the sprint with first Skinner and then Kenny setting new Olympic records

That catch by the Italians disrupted them badly and must have cost them some time

See the Germans have a new helmet - Casco Speedtime Pursuit - a mere €850!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is the individual pursuit on tonight

neris wrote: »
    Is the individual pursuit on tonight
    There is no IP in the Olympics (other than as part of the Omnium)

Denmark really f***ed up there.
    What was the lead man doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye he killed his colleagues there.

World Record!
    The French will not be pleased!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

World record for the Brits in the TP. Looked awesome

Advertisement