Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio - Track Cycling events - no spoiler tags required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Callum skinner's warm up bike trackside has a saddle bag. Just shows you never know when you could get a puncture

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    A very integral part of that team for many years now.

Class rider and i love how she is confident enough to compete without her wig (she would usually wear one).
    Says a lot for her and is how anyone with a similar condition can look up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Inquitus wrote: »
    According to RTE

Assume that means the track and the Suir Valley 3 day doesn't count......

No when Darragh Maloney asked him, he said he was going out on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

He road the suir valley three day for swords recently which is a road event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've never really watched track cycling before, but my nerves are in tatters. Lovin it

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pro Continental with Aquablue has been rumoured

I've never really watched track cycling before, but my nerves are in tatters. Lovin it

You've missed loads...

Chris Hoy. Pure awesome and here's why...

https://youtu.be/_keqBnfKY7I

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think GBR could do with a new indoor track. So far they've had medallists from England, Scotland, Wales and Germany. None from NI or the IOM yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is that it for tonight?

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Is that it for tonight?

according to the schedule yes
    https://www.rio2016.com/en/cycling-track

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

Anyone have thoughts on Anna Mears' contact with Wai Sze Lee, causing the crash in the second round of the kierin? It looked to my untrained eye like Mears did nothing to avoid causing the collision, but I couldn't see a replay... BBC said "that's just a part of it" and didn't focus on it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

CameraBag wrote: »
    Anyone have thoughts on Anna Mears' contact with Wai Sze Lee, causing the crash in the second round of the kierin? It looked to my untrained eye like Mears did nothing to avoid causing the collision, but I couldn't see a replay... BBC said "that's just a part of it" and didn't focus on it...?

Doesn't like like Mears even saw her.

https://streamable.com/d4v9

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

Doesn't like like Mears even saw her.

https://streamable.com/d4v9

Well Mears had come from behind her so I'm sure she knew where she was. Oh well, the judges seemed satisfied that there was no foul play anyway...

Edit: actually looking at that clip Mears pretty much held her line and the Hong Kong cyclist moved towards her! You're right, Mears did nothing wrong from the looks of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Beasty wrote: »
    Think GBR could do with a new indoor track. So far they've had medallists from England, Scotland, Wales and Germany. None from NI or the IOM yet....

maybe they'll build a track in Belfast, and if we ask nicely we can use it too ;)

fryup wrote: »
    maybe they'll build a track in Belfast, and if we ask nicely we can use it too ;)
    There was a plan for one a few years ago but it failed to progress

One of the complications is that cycling is governed by a single body across the island of Ireland. The NI Sports Council does liaise with CI, but cycling possibly does not get the same attention in NI as it gets a across the rest of the UK as CI rather than British Cycling governs the sport there.

Having said that there's now 3 indoor Olympic/International standard tracks in England, 1 in Wales and 1 in Scotland. Maybe the success in Rio will result in additional funding being made available. However CI's priority is to get an indoor track in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

but is there enough interest in the republic to warrant it??

^^^^^^^^^^^

Build it and they will come.....

Seriously, yes there is plenty of interest but many really will not properly appreciate the value/benefits of an indoor track until they get a chance to see and use one. That was exactly the position in the UK before they built Manchester in the mid 90s. Look at what's happened with British Cycling since then. With the notable exception of Froome pretty much all their success on the road has come from people who started out on the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought the one in the National Sports Campus was going ahead? It's a joint arena with the National Badminton Centre and planning permission was granted?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I thought the one in the National Sports Campus was going ahead? It's a joint arena with the National Badminton Centre and planning permission was granted?
    Yes - planning permission is there, Funding is still to be sorted and hopefully we'll hear something in the upcoming Budget. Would be nice if the President of CI would show a little enthusiasm for it....

• Advertisement

Build it and they will come.....

Seriously, yes there is plenty of interest but many really will not properly appreciate the value/benefits of an indoor track until they get a chance to see and use one. That was exactly the position in the UK before they built Manchester in the mid 90s. Look at what's happened with British Cycling since then. With the notable exception of Froome pretty much all their success on the road has come from people who started out on the track.

Cav didn't start on the track, did he?

Cav didn't start on the track, did he?
    Too right he did!!! He started out with the GB Track Team in Manchester (and had success in the Worlds in 2005 and then the Commonwealth Games a year later)

Only one session today, but plenty of action with Cav due to make his appearance in the Omnium, the women's sprint kicking off and Team GB taking on Team GB in the men's sprint final

Action starts at 8pm

Too right he did!!! He started out with the GB Track Team in Manchester (and had success in the Worlds in 2005 and then the Commonwealth Games a year later)

There was me thinking that he started on the road as a youth winning sprints all over the place, not so?

There was me thinking that he started on the road as a youth winning sprints all over the place, not so?
    Correct - not so!

I'm sure he was winning as a kid in the IOM, but was identified for the GB academy in Manchester early on and made his name on the track before turning to the road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

^^^^^^^^^^^

In Ireland, interest is the last thing that's needed for something to go ahead. The very fact that it would be hugely beneficial and give a year round facility in our otherwise rain sodden rock in the sea might be reason alone to do it.

Sundrive gets plenty of people too, so you'd think an indoor track would be a draw.

Skinner v Kenny, anyone give Skinner a chance here? He was 2nd fastest in the first round to Kenny, but has been super impressive since, should be a cracking final. Anyone remember Hoy giving Kenny the shoulder in Beijing, you gotta put these youngsters in their place.

Can't embed.

https://youtu.be/Z49XiXJNO-s?t=90

It feels like Skinner has come from no-where, although clearly he's been in the GB setup for some time. Chris Hoy was forecasting 3 golds for Kenny if they won the TS. I reckon Skinner will push him close today and would not be surprised to see him get it.

Skinner v Kenny, anyone give Skinner a chance here? He was 2nd fastest in the first round to Kenny, but has been super impressive since, should be a cracking final. Anyone remember Hoy giving Kenny the shoulder in Beijing, you gotta put these youngsters in their place.

Can't embed.

https://youtu.be/Z49XiXJNO-s?t=90

bbc showed picture of hoy training skinner as a youngster ........

• Advertisement

Bookies Odds for tonight's action:

Omnium: Fernando Gaviria Rendon 9/4 Mark Cavendish 4/1 Elia Viviani 9/2 Glenn OShea 6/1 Lasse Norman Hansen 14/1 Thomas Boudat Roger Kluge 16/1

Mens Sprint: Jason Kenny 2/5 Callum Skinner 5/2

Womens Sprint: Zhong Tianshi 5/2 Kristina Vogel 4/1 Lin Junhong 11/2 Becky James 6/1 Anna Mears 9/1 Elis Ligtlee 9/1 Gon Jinjie 9/1

I don't think Cav is good value at 4/1, he has too many weak events in the Omnium. I fancy Callum Skinner to really put it up to Jason Kenny, could be some value there. Also value in Becky James, she seemed the girl with the fastest sprint in the Kieren even if her positioning gave her almost no chance. Lasse Hansen seems to be in great form, I like him at 14/1 after he rode all his teammates off his wheel in the Men's Pursuit S/F.

Advertisement