Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth Whitening

Options
  • 10-08-2016 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

Lads and Ladies,

I see these groupon type offers for teeth whitening popping up and I'm really tempted to get mine done.

What are people's experiences of teeth whitening? I've never gotten it done professionally before.

My teeth aren't exactly canary yellow like, but I would love a nice set of pearly whites!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'd recommend you go to your dentist and talk to them about it before undergoing any treatment. From what I understand nearly all of these Groupon laser deals are completely unregulated and not administered by trained dentists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I have to say I'd agree with the above, best to leave whitening to a dentist rather than a cheap groupon deal. A good scale and polish will make a difference too, you might find you don't need whitening after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Thanks lads, I'll see what my dentist offers. I've had a scale and polish in the past few months and will have one again at the six month mark. I probably don't even need to get them whitened but love the idea of them being bright white. I floss and use a whitening toothpaste with a whitening head electric toothbrush which is probably enough for now.

Thanks for the info. I never thought about them being regulated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Its worth noting that not everyones teeth will go bright white, I know mine dont. They're just not that way inclined. I still do them (my bestie is a dentist so I get it done on the cheep!) as its an improvement but I'd never be able to achieve bright bright white without vineers, which isnt necessary.

Also, certain make up etc can make your teeth look whiter. I'm pale with a pinkish tone to my skin (aka proper irish looking) but if I wear a foundation with a yellow base, my teeth pop much more. Even better if I combine this with a hot pink/red lipstick with a blue undertone. MAC are great for said lipsticks.

Also, there are little home tricks you can do with baking soda etc that I'd certainly try before groupon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd use the crest strips first to be honest. That's what I use and my teeth are really white. I'd be nervous enough using a groupon for my teeth whitening.

Edit: no professional whitening

http://tinypic.com/r/29xc0uw/9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I'd use the crest strips first to be honest. That's what I use and my teeth are really white. I'd be nervous enough using a groupon for my teeth whitening.

Edit: no professional whitening

http://tinypic.com/r/29xc0uw/9

I agree with you regarding the whitening strips. They work very well for a home product. I usually stock up on them if going to the States. Can I ask where do you get the Crest Strips from here in Ireland as I've almost run out? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't get them here, I stock up when in the states too. Or if family are coming home, I'll get them to bring me some. I don't use them very often anymore it's more maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I don't get them here, I stock up when in the states too. Or if family are coming home, I'll get them to bring me some. I don't use them very often anymore it's more maintenance

Thanks Lexie .I'm the same, dont use them often and a pack lasts for ages for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Kev1001

I'm going to Smiles Dental at the weekend.

Thinking of using their home whitening kit.

Has anyone used this before? What were the results like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Kev1001 wrote: »

I've only heard bad things about smiles, please let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I havent used it with them, but pretty sure all dentists send you home with the stuff these days.

As I said before, my best friend is a dentist so I've no idea how much this really costs, but what she did for me was make a mold of my teeth, and sent it to a lab she works with. they then sent back custom "whitening trays" which were like little thin gum shields for top and bottom. She then gave me a few syringes of the whitening gel, which i then put little dollops of in the impression of each tooth, before putting the trays in my mouth last thing before bed. You then sleep with them in until morning.

There are different strengths of whitening gel so your dentist will tell you how many nights you need based on the strength they've given you. Mine was one of the least strong as I'm prone to sensitivity, and I used it over a 3 week period.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

I've heard terrible things about the laser treatment. Anyway I got mine done, the same way as the above poster who explained it really well, it's the only way the dentists will do it.

I actually found a supplier of the whitening gel, they supply cheaply to anyone who's already got the teeth moulds made. But they also work in conjunction with some dental clinics. They organised everything for me. Appointment with dentist, moulds made, and all my gel whitening, for half the price I was getting quoted by most dentists.

Worked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

trobbin wrote: »
    I've heard terrible things about the laser treatment. Anyway I got mine done, the same way as the above poster who explained it really well, it's the only way the dentists will do it.

I actually found a supplier of the whitening gel, they supply cheaply to anyone who's already got the teeth moulds made. But they also work in conjunction with some dental clinics. They organised everything for me. Appointment with dentist, moulds made, and all my gel whitening, for half the price I was getting quoted by most dentists.

Worked great.

Could you pm me info on this please? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

You can get the Crest whitestrips on Amazon :) I haven't got them myself, but was asking on another post as thinking of getting them for my wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I havent used it with them, but pretty sure all dentists send you home with the stuff these days.

As I said before, my best friend is a dentist so I've no idea how much this really costs, but what she did for me was make a mold of my teeth, and sent it to a lab she works with. they then sent back custom "whitening trays" which were like little thin gum shields for top and bottom. She then gave me a few syringes of the whitening gel, which i then put little dollops of in the impression of each tooth, before putting the trays in my mouth last thing before bed. You then sleep with them in until morning.

There are different strengths of whitening gel so your dentist will tell you how many nights you need based on the strength they've given you. Mine was one of the least strong as I'm prone to sensitivity, and I used it over a 3 week period.

I went to my dentist and got the molds and gel too. It's fairly expensive but it seems to be the recommended way over the laser treatments. Worth noting that I'm finding it very painful and have to do a night on/night off or more when it gets too sore. Hopefully it'll work after all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I also got the custom made trays and syringes of gel from my dentist a few years ago. It's more expensive but worth it IMO.
    If I run out of the gel and can't get to the dentist I have found that Eucryl tooth powder is a great option for making teeth a bit brighter in the meantime - it's only about 2 or 3 euro and in most chemists.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Kev1001

scdublin wrote: »
    I went to my dentist and got the molds and gel too. It's fairly expensive but it seems to be the recommended way over the laser treatments. Worth noting that I'm finding it very painful and have to do a night on/night off or more when it gets too sore. Hopefully it'll work after all that.

I have sensitive teeth and also found it painful. The first night I used too much gel, and I started doing it every few nights.

I stopped this week, cause I needed coffee (late hours and working weekend). I only used half the gel, but I noticed an improvement.

Got a scale and Polish as well. The dentist done a great job there.

Advertisement