Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a wannabe vegetarian

Options
  • 10-08-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

So I would really, really like to become vegetarian.

I have always had a problem with eating animals and a few years back I attempted to change my diet; I lasted 6 months and during that time didn't feel great.
    I was uneducated, had no idea about needing to get an adequate amount of protein from other sources and I ended up eating a lot of crap. So it's no wonder I caved.

However I would now like to take a more serious and educated approach to it.

Does anyone here, who was a full blown meat eater for their whole lives, who then changed their diet to become vegetarian have any tips or advice for me?
    Should I take any supplements to begin with?

I do understand that a drastic diet change should be discussed with a GP and maybe I will but boards.ie is my starting point and I will go from there.

I'm also thinking that instead of just going cold turkey (excuse the pun) I will probably try to gradually introduce vegetarian meals into my diet, therefore reducing my meat consumption week by week. I will maybe try pescatarian for a while first.

Please note that I will still be eating (free range only) eggs as they are a staple in my diet.
    I will definitely try to eliminate milk though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't bother with supplements. It's not necessary.

You don't have to eliminate milk to become vegetarian. That's only for vegans.

Vegetarian is where you do not consume products made from the meat of animals. And often any by-products from animal slaughter like leather or gelatin.

Vegan is vegetarian plus not consuming any products made by animals, like milk or eggs.

Vegetarian is easy and not at all drastic. Eat the same meals you do now, just remove the meat. Substitue the meat with something else like eggs, cheese or tofu, or things like quorn.

Over time you'll find meals that work, and many that work better as vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Thanks Seamus.

I'm aware of the difference between Vegetarians and Vegans, I just wanted to clarify exactly what I'm looking for in a diet to save any questions. Some people may comment and suggest I try a Vegan diet so I wanted to specifically mention that I'm not willing to cut out eggs.

I would like to cut out milk as I just don't want to drink it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I think the approach of changing your diet slowly to incorporate more and more vegetarian meals is very sensible.
    What I found when I first moved towards being vegetarian is that initially, you simply don't have a repertoire of vegetarian dishes you can easily cook - most of the dishes you know how to do will contain meat in some form. So the temptation is to simply replace the meat with alternatives, and as good as some Quorn products are, it may leave you disappointed.

I'd suggest to maybe check the supermarkets for what vegetables they have on special offer once a week, and then find a recipe that focuses on your vegetable of choice. Aldi have butternut squash at the moment, and if you like I can send you a really tasty recipe for stuffed squash with rice, lentils and feta.
    Also try and find vegetarian alternatives for big weekend breakfasts - they often get overlooked ;)

Do that for a few weeks and eventually you'll know so many balanced vegetarian dishes that you can move away from the meat dishes more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

Hey BetsyEllen

Welcome back to the veggie club :)

I would say the best way to go with something like this, is just to do what you feel comfortable with and if that leads to solid vegetarianism, great! No matter what just keeping eating food you enjoy and that have you feeling good, and all will be good! :)

For the record, I was full blown meat eater for nearly 20 years, meat-free now for around 10 but still fully understand the appeal of meat. However it's something I try to explain to people, I didn't stop eating meat because I stopped enjoying it or was becoming disappointed by chicken or was somehow 'banned' from it so that I now can't have it anymore, it is a personal choice to not have it anymore.

Your idea of maybe going pescatarian first could be a good idea. A great veggie idea is the 'Meat Free Monday' which fits the idea that, at least in the beginning, the idea of 'all or nothing' with this is a lot to handle! Cut down what you can, even if that means still having the odd piece of fish you're still making a massive improvement. It'll give you time to figure out you're new food habits. Most people only have a handful of meals that they rotate so once you're in the habit with new ones it'll be so effortless that you won't even give it a second thought.

Personally, I do take my vitamins though even as a meat eating child I was told that it was a good idea to take vitamins so I don't think being a veggie should make that much different. Plus I don't know why I wouldn't take vitamins, though as said they are not necessary to supplement, so it is a personal choice. Again, just do what you are comfortable with :)

As for other tips, I always have a nutrition book and a couple of recipe books on the shelf so that I can always remind myself of the endless possibilities of being veggie. Also, I do always have a backup supply of junk food on reserve as I've never found it necessary to really keep too much of an eye on nutrients, so being overly strict would be difficult. Therefore the occasional pizza or kebab keeps me veggie and keeps me enjoying my food too :) (Something like kale salad 7 days a week mightn't, though it does work for some!)

Also, it can be expensive but if you can, try to maybe eat out for lunch/dinner in a place with good vegetarian options so that again, if you are enjoying your food and feeling good, you'll enjoy being vegetarian and see less and less of a reason to go back. Just approach this by doing what feels good for you and you'll feel good about it!

Hope this goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Thank shenshen and actua11

I'm lucky that there is a fabulous café in my town which serves beautiful vegetarian and vegan food so I can eat there for a treat, I go regularly anyway.

Meat free Mondays are a great way to start, I could then start adding in an extra day over the weeks.

Thanks again for your advice, I'm really looking forward to making these positive changes, I will feel so much happier with myself :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement