Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change of career INTO accountancy

• 10-08-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

My daughter has worked with Special Needs kids for quite a few years. Last year decided she wanted a career change - into Accountancy and signed up to study part time. She's gone though the first 3 foundation level modules but is now hoping to get some full time work in this area.

Any advice as to likely employers she should be approaching in Dublin area?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Roy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Hi Roy

If she has a college degree she should keep a close eye on linkedin, and other job boards/professional networks.
    If she has no relevant degree, she would ideally be looking at getting into general accounts payable/book keeping type roles....or even general office admin work. It may not be too exciting, but it will give her a taste for office life.

From there, once she gets a few more exams under her, she is more likely to be accepted into a role that will provide the exposure she needs in order to develop herself, as there is A LOT more to accounting than just prepping financial statements. It's more like a complete business world, and she is merely studying the lifeblood element, the most important part (finances).

I would estimate there are some people out there now happy to take inexperienced people on at low wages...however with just three foundation level exams done.....it may be a little challenging, purely from the point of view that an employer 'may' assume that it is still early days and the three exams in isolation prove nothing. I say this with the greatest respect, as she will be up against people with business degrees etc, who will be further along the study path.

However it most definitely can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

Thank you Gonko, I appreciate the feedback.... it's frank but very helpful, and I understand exactly where you are coming from. :eek:

She's has a degree but not business related so your last point is well noted.

She's already back on the study path so fingers crossed but I will make sure to nudge her in the Linked In direction.

Once again, many thanks

Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

As someone who's currently training in an accounting practice, I'd tell your daughter to just try getting a trainee role. I'm not training in one of the Big 4, and most training where I am didn't start until they were 24-28. Starting money won't be great, expect 18-22K if Dublin, lower if elsewhere.

I assume she has decided to go with ACCA as her choice of qualification? She should be fine finding a junior position in practice, and she can expect them to pay for lectures, exams and study leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

There are loads of training roles still available, employers can't fill them fast enough. I'd advise applying to any small, mid and large size firms advertising vacancies and she should get some interviews if she has a decent academic record, and hopefully an offer if she's a competent interviewee.

Advertisement