Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Sat: 12.3k Buggy: 1:01:24 @4:59/km

Sun: 30k Easy: 2:27:41 @4:55/km
    Out early around 6am for this one. Routine enough, couple of decent hills during the run. Back home, showered, took Erin Healy off for a nosey at the 10k in Clondalkin, she had a great time :) wouldn't have minded racing it tbh but just came a week early. Will race the other 2 in the race series.

Dublin Marathon 2018: Week 3 of 16

Mon: 14k Easy: 1:09:51 @4:59/km

Tue: AM: 11.5k Buggy: 58:56 @5:07/km
    PM: 10.5k Easy: 53:23 @5:01/km

Wed: Session 5x1 Mile /2mins recoveries

5:56, 5:55, 5:53, 6:06, 5:59

Well I was pretty happy to have my first session of the training block. Loads of easy miles have been grand and my mate wants me to feel a bit sluggish in Mullingar on Saturday :o So this was just a bit of a range finder, seeing where the legs are.

Nothing really went to plan beforehand, little lady was sick so had to bring her to doctors, ended up missing lunch and was left with a small enough window to fit it in......in addition to this, I'm leaving our estate and all that's rattling around in my head is the 'slap, slap, slap...' of the Takumi Rens on the pavement. The sound is doing my head in, and tbh the couple of times I've worn them I don't like them. I'll stick to the Adios for the time being.

Set off along the dual carriageway for these and the plan was for 6:05-5:55's. Felt pretty ok for the most part. Hamstring reared its head a little the last 300m of the 4th rep and then again after the 5th. Pretty certain it was due my lack of fluids intake over the day (coupled with me wearing a black t shirt in the midday sun didnt exactly make things any easier), so decided against the last rep and ambled home.

Pretty decent session all things considered. Just gonna run Mullingar on feel Saturday. It's sole purpose is just to wake the legs up and get a race effort in, so whatever time comes out I'm not too bothered as long as I've got that good effort in. Frank Duffy and Half Marathon will be my main two warm up races and I'm hoping to PB in both of those.

Thu: 16k Easy: 1:24:52@5:18/km

My training buddy is back from a break (a break that included a new baby boy and a 50k race :) ) so met him for a very easy run on the plains and then did 5k myself afterwards. Good vibes aplenty and major plans being made ;)

Fri: 5k w/pooch + some strides

Just a shake out before 10 Miler the following day.

Sat: Mullingar 10 Mile: 63:21 @3:56/km

Pre Race: Finally met the man, the myth, the legend, the artist formally known as Tang for a warm up. Great to put a face to the Boardsie. Made it to the start line where the aforementioned introduced to me to Duanington, had a nice little chat and then on a very cosy country lane we we set off.

Race: We'd decided that somewhere around 63:30 was the aim, but more importantly effort levels were to be as consistent as possible. I'd had one session, not counting the 4 beer related ones, in the previous 5 weeks, so as planned, I was feeling a bit sluggish at the start. Feeling fit mind you, but sluggish. We set off and I could see a group forming just ahead of me with Duanington in it and I figured it was probably gonna be a 62min and under sort of group. I could have tagged on and tried to stay with them but today was not that day. Sort of found my self isolated as a result. With no really to work with I just kept the effort honest and the group slowly pulled away but they were in sight for the entire race really. Went through 5miles in 31:50.
    At this stage my mind was beginning to wander, not in a bad way I might add. I was just sort of thinking how it was a good idea to choose a 10miler instead of a 10k to wake the system up etc etc and the i realised the splits had inched up a little. Just as this realisation dawned on me, two guys came up and passed me just past the 5mile mark. I tagged onto them for maybe a kilometre and then felt a little guilty and moved up past them and took it on up a decent little climb and I didn't see them after that. Passed a good few on the way in, was feeling really strong towards the end and came in at 63:21 for a 20sec negative split.

Post Race: Warmed down with Barry, and satisfied with my days work headed down the M4 to Croker to roar on the Banner with the Dad.

So I think this sets me up nicely for the next few weeks. I'm really targeting Frank Duffy and the race series Half. I think I can take a decent chunk out of this time, which is only 50 secs off my PB. I'll definitely be aiming for something in the 61's come September and I think it is there for me.

Sun: 24k Long Run: 1:56:09 @4:50/km
    Legs felt great out there this morning which probably shows that I got effort levels spot on yesterday. Feeling great, really enjoyed this run.....

Dublin 2018 Week 5 of 16
    Mon: AM 11.5k Recovery Buggy Run: 1:00:31 @5:15/km
    PM 14k Recovery: 1:12:58 @5:13/km

Tue: 16k ish Easy: 1:23ish
    Last minute birthday cake panic meant a trip to Naas in the evening which was more than likely going to scupper any chances of a run, but as I was pulling into Tesco I realised I had trail runners and some gear in the boot from a while back. Both runners and gear were clean I might add :) big loop of Naas and out past kilashee and back......

Wed: AM 12.2k Easy Buggy: 1:03:20 @5:11/km
    Meant to have a session but a little lady who was awake most of the night and then stayed up from 5am meant a buggy run was called for to give Erin a good nap and her mammy a break......Session pushed to Thursday

PM: 8k Relaxed: 38:18 @4:47/km
    Downpour for this one, and I felt all the better for it too :)

Thu: Session: Yasso 800's x10

Had seen this session mentioned once or twice and decided to do it as I was meant to do an 800s session with my training partner the previous day and i wasn't sure what he had planned. Thought about doing 20x400m but I have that in the plan next week so i decided on this one. It didnt look like much on paper compared to 20x400 @75secs or lower off 60secs that I'd completed during the last block but plenty of faster loggers on here had done it so I went ahead.....

Splits:
    1. 2:44
    2. 2:41
    3. 2:40
    4. 2:38
    5. 2:39
    6. 2:37
    7. 2:37
    8. 2:36
    9. 2:37
    10. 2:33

First one was too gentle a pace, 2:40 seemed a decent enough target after that, so I just tried to dip in under that each time. Felt pretty controlled out there although the recoveries were VERY generous. Nice to establish a baseline for when I repeat it again. Not sure if many current posters done this workout before.....if so would they suggest smaller recoveries? Faster pace? Anyway, I'm just off to check out the training paces for a 2:40 marathon.......2:55?pfffft....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I done 8x800m in prep for the CPC in March J off 400m recoveries as was advised, found the recoveries very generous to but averaged 3.00mins per 800m compared to your 2.40. Like you if I was to repeat it again I would cut recovery even more.

Fri: AM 13k Easy: 1:04:09 @4:56/km
    PM 8k Easy: 39:15 @4:54/km

Sat: Session 5x2k off 2mins
    Plan was to 'get a good sweat going' but not go balls to the wall, keeping it relaxed and controlled....then he says aim for 7:20's. I wasn't sure if i could hit them relaxed and controlled if I'm perfectly honest....but again it turns out that I am being well looked after :) GAA training was cancelled for the boys this morning so I dropped them to their Grandparents for an hour and got this in earlier than planned which was great.

Splits:
    1st: 7:10
    2nd: 7:09
    3rd: 7:07
    4th: 7:03
    5th: 6:59

So yeah I hit these marks without a whole lot of fuss. Picked it up a bit for the last couple and was working for the last 500m of the last rep but nothing too crazy. Was in great form afterwards, nothing like a good session to put you in good form :)

• Advertisement

Sun: Long Run: 32k: 2:33:04 @4:47/I'm

Combination of a late night babysitting (don't ask :( ) and then a very early riser of my own meant I set out about 7am with maybe 3 hours sleep in the system, and with Thursday's and yesterdays sessions in the legs i wasnt sure how the run would go. Said id take it out easy enough and try and push it a bit last 12k or so. Last 12k came in around 55:40 (@4:38/km) and I was happy enough with that.

142k for the week :o

Oh yeah, and a trip up to Croker with the eldest fella to see the Lilywhites win an All Ireland (U20 granted, but it's my first one in 30+years following them around the country!). A great day.

Dublin 2018: Wk 5 of 16 (tried to skip a week last week :o)

Mon: 15k Recovery: 1:17:00 @5:08/km
    Lap of the town with a good buddy of mine who's gearing up for a 3:30 attempt in Dublin.

Tue: 11k Easy: 54:06 @4:55/km
    8k w/pooch: 45mins @5:38/km

Wed: 15.3k Easy: 1:14:51 @4:53/km

Only one session this week, pushed it from Wed to Thu due to some sleep deprivation :)

Thu: 8 Mile tempo: 49:53 @3:52/km

Knew this was a big one. Only scheduled session this week and I wanted to nail it. Did a great 8 Mile tempo in the lead up to Rotterdam and felt it was an important one so wanted to do likewise here. Went up to the Camp to do it, 1.3k loop around the top and middle roads, not flat but quiet and a nice surface. Plan was for 6:10 - 6:20 territory. I had a notion to go around my 10mile pb pace from trim which was 6:14 pace, so 3:52kms....and that is what entailed. It was a hard effort, esp last mile or so, but felt great for the most part.

It's amazing how the last couple weeks have sharpened me up. This was faster than my pace in Mullingar and shows the speed is coming along nicely. Reckon I'll have a rattle at this pace or slightly faster for the Half in September.

Fri: 17.3k Recovery: 1:34:29 @5:28km

Sat: Long Run 34k Relaxed/Steady: 2:36:08 @4:35/km

Set out about 3hrs later than planned with not a lot of fuel on board but such was the way the weekend was shaping up it was the only window I had unless I wanted to push the LR to Monday which I certainly did not.

The plan has been to gradually push the pace of the long run each week,trying to make each one as progressive as possible. Left a gel and a small water bottle at 20k as the day was quite humid and my sleep is still not quite where it needs to be :)

Went on big loop from Newbridge to Kilcullen to the Curragh to Kildare Town and back into Newbridge. Felt pretty strong out there. Gel and water were nicked but had the emergency €2 in the shorts so had a Lucozade sport in a garage in Kildare while cursing whatever type of person nicks water and an energy gel of a weekend morning. Definitely the quickest LR I've put in, on top of the 8mile tempo on Thursday I definitely feel like I've put in a decent weeks work.

Wedding next Friday so gonna fit in a couple of sessions during week and push 36k LR to Wednesday week, which will be 10 days out from the Frank Duffy. So that's 5 weeks down, definitely feeling the benefits of the easy first 3 weeks. Raring to go in the sessions during the last couple of weeks and have 2x30k, 32k and 34k runs in the bank already.

Sun: 10.1k Recovery AM: 52:31 @5:11/km.

130k for the week. Debating heading out again this evening...... :)

Dublin Marathon Week 6 of 16

Mon: 15k Easy: 1:13:31 @4:54/km

Tue: 16.6k Easy: 1:22:36 @5:01/I'm

Wed: Hills: 500m x 8, continous w/downhill recoveries
    Uphill splits ranged between 4:30 - 4:23/km.

Went to Braveheart for this one, as always the wind direction and strength makes or breaks the session and to be sure it was directly in my mush for the uphills, with a good dose of torrential rain thrown in :) left it all out there. Hands and knees job afterwards :(

Thu: 21.1k Easy: 1:41:00 @4:48/km

Fri: 10k Steady: 44:19 @4:26km

Groomsman for one of my best mates that afternoon. This proved to be my last running of the week. Off the beer now until after Dublin.....

Dublin Marathon Wk7 of 16

Mon: 17k Easy: 1:25:40 @5:02/km
    Cobwebs blown off after a heavy couple of days.....

Tue: 10 Miles Easy: 1:16:31 @4:45/km

Wed: Long Run: 36k Steady: 2:41:50 @4:30/km

Two rare occurrences here; a midweek LR and an afternoon one to boot. My usual route which takes in a lot of back roads is fine at 7am on a Sunday morning but a bit too busy/hairy at this time. So I said I'd wing the route, packed a gel and €2 and set off with 4:30kms in my head,starting off a little slower and then gradually picking things up.

Ended up heading over to Naas via a couple of Industrial estates. It's quite a flat route but a bit soul destroying when you turn around in the outskirts of Naas near the Ball and realise you now have to run 18k back in the other direction :( run went well though, felt strong, took a gel at 18k and bought a water at about 24k...tired for the last couple of miles but this pace for any LR never mind a 36k would be new territory for me.

Thu: 13.5k Recovery: 1:10:01 @5:11/km

Fri: AM 11.4k Buggy: 59:25 @5:10/km

PM 6.5k Easy @5:00/km
    A hotch potch of a few runs on the plains, helping out a buddy organise a route and plot some distances for a fundraiser run next month.

Sat: Session 6x1 Mile off 2mins rec

Splits:
    5:43, 5:40, 5:37, 5:33, 5:27, 5:22

What a difference 4 weeks makes to a session. My eyebrows were raised when the session was laid out to me and whilst my instructions were not to go too crazy with Wednesdays 36k still in the legs, the suggested pace was 5:40/mile!

Of course my mate seems to cotton on to my capabilities quicker than I do and after easing myself in to the first couple of reps, I really felt like I wasn't working hard enough. Decided I'd try to a do a royal flush and just keep beating the previous split (without going nuts I might add :) ). The last split was typically the only split that the GPS played up on and I reckon that was pretty close to a 5:15 mile cause I finished a good bit further on than the previous 5. A pretty satisfying session I must say. The numbers aside, which would be new territory for me, my effort felt really bang on and consistent, felt really controlled running at that pace. Hopefully I can bring it into the 10Mile and Half in the next month. 16k including warm up and cool down.

• Advertisement

Dublin Wk 8 of 16

Mon: AM 12.3k Buggy: 1:02:15 @5:04/km
    PM 5Miles Easy: 39:44 @4:56/km

Tue: AM 12.2k Buggy: 1:02:07 @5:03/km
    PM 8.2k Easy: 39:53 @4:50/km

Wed: Session 20x400m off 60secs

Aim was around 75secs territory for this one, but the session ended up looking a lot different!! Nipped out of the school and into the Defence Forces track for it, never the best track to do it on as it's not oval and has a couple of very sharp turns but it does the job. Bit of a warm up and then into the first rep, about 150m in glance at the watch and I'm at 3:55/km pace :o, finish first one in 81 secs but was a good bit over the 400m mark on the track. Reverse direction for 2nd rep and chip in with an 83 sec lap, again a good bit past the lap mark. So I turn off the interval session I had on the watch and decide to do the laps manually. Unfortunately the Army were running some drill in the infield that came out onto the track so I had to up sticks.....trotted up the top road. Set intervals to 16x400 but again GPS was out. All the reps were between 85 and 87 secs, panicked for a little while but I knew I was feeling good and that the GPS was off kilter. Left it at 14 though as the session had basically turned into almost a 20x90secs off 60 secs which was maybe a bit much.

Drove up after to check the distance in the car and yeah, it was about 30/40m out. Good session in the end, it was nice to do the reps on feel and not against the clock. Getting the miles in early this week, with FD at the weekend. Looking forward to the race, I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. I'll be going hard on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

All the very best on Sunday. Hopefully you'll hang around and cheer the rest of us and we'll get to meet.

aquinn wrote: »
    All the very best on Sunday. Hopefully you'll hang around and cheer the rest of us and we'll get to meet.

Yeah 100%.....seems to be a good few from these parts running. Be nice to meet a few in person :)

Thu: 13k Easy: 1:02:24 @4:48/km

Fri: 9k Easy: 44:39 @4:57/km

Sat: 6k w/pooch and some strides. 30ish

Sun: Frank Duffy 10 Mile Race Report

Training had been going well, so picking a target was going to be interesting. PB was 62:27 from Trim in February which was a 3min PB itself. This was definitely on, but after talking to my mate, he reckoned breaking 60mins was definitely a possibility, and to aim to get to halfway in 30mins and see how things were feeling. Even with a fade he reckoned sub 61mins was a certainty. The caveat was 530+km had been ran in August....so the legs did have some mileage in them. Got mileage in early in the week so I could have a couple of easy days leading into the race. This was a scheduled down week in terms of mileage.
    Regular readers of the log will know I'm usually the last to come on board when my mate is setting my targets. The memory of scraping under 30mins in the Irish Runner 5Miler in the Park and the awful attempt at a 5k the previous week were rattling around in my head, but id taken a break after that and the first 3 weeks of this training block were mostly easy runs, leading up to a 63:20 10 Mile in Mullingar where I felt strong but pretty rusty. Off setting these doubts were the 8Mile Tempo and interval sessions and LR's that I've churned out the last month which have all explored new territory for me. So I set off for Swords with the aim of giving sub 60 a rattle but more wanting to put in a strong PB effort.

Got to Pavillion SC in decent time, read Sports section of Sunday Times and headed out for a couple of miles warm up. Starting pen was pretty congested so I came back out and went up towards the front and hopped over the railing. Race started and off we went.....

Apologies in advance for switching between mile and km splits during this :) I'd Singer's course report rattling around my head, so I knew the first mile would be quick. However, I made a pretty stupid mistake by going out too hot. I though I could see AMK ahead of me, and I just caught up behind him as we went through the first mile marker in about 5:47. Figured that my pace would ease up now and introduced myself to AMK had a little chat and as we went through 2 miles in 11:38 we both agreed this was way too hot. I was in a little group of about 5 runners here, but I seemed to be doing all the work at the front. Went through 5k in 18:17 (PB :) ), but I knew from Brian's recce that 6-10k was pretty much uphill.

Slowed down a touch and let the group pass me out a bit and then I settled in at the rear of it. Went through 5miles in 29:50 (PB :) ) and I realised that I had to back off a bit, I'd a bit of stitch, not a bad one but enough to get my attention. I was isolated now but my km splits were still fairly consistent. Not sub 60 consistent, but not dropping off a cliff either, consistent 3:46's, 47's, 48's..... I knew that from 10k on was pretty much down hill so I just made that my next target.

Got to 10k in 37:15 (PB :) ) and a long down hill stretch came up in the distance. I'm working hard here but it's not a pace that I don't think I can maintain to the finish. I know there will be some pain up ahead but I'm ready for that. Slowly but surely I start gaining back on a few guys that i let go on the uphill section and I pick a good few of them off coming in. I know 61 mins is going to be broken but by how much is the only thing. 15th km is a 3:41 and then I'm hanging on a bit for the last km as a little uphill couple of meters slows me down :o Down the finishing straight, working hard seeing the clock turn from 59 to 1:00 and I'm only a 150m or so away, i make a mental note that next time I'm in a 10 miler im going to those 150m further up the road at this stage. Cross the finish line at 60:33, almost a 2 min PB and 46th position.

Met AMK and Outforarun from this parish afterwards and after a good chat I decided to get out of dodge as I didn't want to get caught in match traffic down the M1. Was hopong to meet a couple more from here but there will be other days :) Stopped off in Citywest and did a couple of miles cool down. A good day.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

healy1835 wrote: »
    Thu: 13k Easy: 1:02:24 @4:48/km

Fri: 9k Easy: 44:39 @4:57/km

Sat: 6k w/pooch and some strides. 30ish

Sun: Frank Duffy 10 Mile Race Report

Training had been going well, so picking a target was going to be interesting. PB was 62:27 from Trim in February which was a 3min PB itself. This was definitely on, but after talking to my mate, he reckoned breaking 60mins was definitely a possibility, and to aim to get to halfway in 30mins and see how things were feeling. Even with a fade he reckoned sub 61mins was a certainty. The caveat was 530+km had been ran in August....so the legs did have some mileage in them. Got mileage in early in the week so I could have a couple of easy days leading into the race. This was a scheduled down week in terms of mileage.
    Regular readers of the log will know I'm usually the last to come on board when my mate is setting my targets. The memory of scraping under 30mins in the Irish Runner 5Miler in the Park and the awful attempt at a 5k the previous week were rattling around in my head, but id taken a break after that and the first 3 weeks of this training block were mostly easy runs, leading up to a 63:20 10 Mile in Mullingar where I felt strong but pretty rusty. Off setting these doubts were the 8Mile Tempo and interval sessions and LR's that I've churned out the last month which have all explored new territory for me. So I set off for Swords with the aim of giving sub 60 a rattle but more wanting to put in a strong PB effort.

Got to Pavillion SC in decent time, read Sports section of Sunday Times and headed out for a couple of miles warm up. Starting pen was pretty congested so I came back out and went up towards the front and hopped over the railing. Race started and off we went.....

Apologies in advance for switching between mile and km splits during this :) I'd Singer's course report rattling around my head, so I knew the first mile would be quick. However, I made a pretty stupid mistake by going out too hot. I though I could see AMK ahead of me, and I just caught up behind him as we went through the first mile marker in about 5:47. Figured that my pace would ease up now and introduced myself to AMK had a little chat and as we went through 2 miles in 11:38 we both agreed this was way too hot. I was in a little group of about 5 runners here, but I seemed to be doing all the work at the front. Went through 5k in 18:17 (PB :) ), but I knew from Brian's recce that 6-10k was pretty much uphill.

Slowed down a touch and let the group pass me out a bit and then I settled in at the rear of it. Went through 5miles in 29:50 (PB :) ) and I realised that I had to back off a bit, I'd a bit of stitch, not a bad one but enough to get my attention. I was isolated now but my km splits were still fairly consistent. Not sub 60 consistent, but not dropping off a cliff either, consistent 3:46's, 47's, 48's..... I knew that from 10k on was pretty much down hill so I just made that my next target.

Got to 10k in 37:15 (PB :) ) and a long down hill stretch came up in the distance. I'm working hard here but it's not a pace that I don't think I can maintain to the finish. I know there will be some pain up ahead but I'm ready for that. Slowly but surely I start gaining back on a few guys that i let go on the uphill section and I pick a good few of them off coming in. I know 61 mins is going to be broken but by how much is the only thing. 15th km is a 3:41 and then I'm hanging on a bit for the last km as a little uphill couple of meters slows me down :o Down the finishing straight, working hard seeing the clock turn from 59 to 1:00 and I'm only a 150m or so away, i make a mental note that next time I'm in a 10 miler im going to those 150m further up the road at this stage. Cross the finish line at 60:33, almost a 2 min PB and 46th position. A good day.........

Great racing, with all those mini pb's within the race I was waiting for the crash and burn.

Great PB well done

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

As I said to you already, savage racing J, really really great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Terrific. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Savage running! Well done on the PB(s)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Brilliant stuff, serious running there. Enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Smashing run there, congrats on the array of PBs. Strong stuff, well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Up there with one of the best Boards runs of the year so far. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great run and well done on the quadrupled pbs! Not suprised from following your log. Great speed in the legs on those interval runs and limited recoveries indicative of the aerobic capacity too. Tracking well for DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done J, great running. Congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

An amazing performance - congrats on a super time & nice to meet you!

Thanks to everyone for the nods of approval :) it's always nice when a race goes well and you appreciate it more when you've had a couple go the other way. It was good to have the experience of going out too hard, dialling it back a little and then finishing strong. That's not my usual race approach, so that new experience will stand to me. It's also affirming enough that numbers wise I can nail a race but at the same time make some mistakes that can be worked on.

Feeling in savage shape at the moment, just have to keep things ticking over and the momentum going. I'm being well looked after so I'm confident they will :) (touch wood).

Dublin Marathon 2018 Wk9 of 16

Mon: 13k Recovery: 1:09:31 @5:20/km

Tue: 14k Recovery: 1:15:40 @5:24/km

Instructions to take pace way back for the first couple of runs this week. Ran on Tuesday with a mate who's running Berlin, I'd love another crack at it after last year's disaster.....

Wed: 20.2k Easy: 1:39:55 @4:56/km

In town for a work thing, so got up to PP early and did a recce of most of the Half course. Farmleigh was closed so added on a bit there coming back down Tower Rd so decided to cut the last couple of km out ;) I actually thought it was a trickier track. Granted the S bends and then Upper Glen to finish aren't easy, there's a good few spots to make up a bit of time too......anyway, that talk is for another couple of weeks yet :)

Thu: Session 10x400 Hills. 3mile wu and 2mile c.f.
    Did this on the hill in Athgarvan, didn't bother with the flats. Gave it a good rattle and by the end I felt back to full health for the first time this week. The human body is a wondrous thing!

Fri: AM 7.5k Commute: 36:28 @4:52/km

34k tomorrow, dialling back the pace for this one. 49 days to DCM :o

Friday: PM: 9k Easy: 43:33 @4:50/km

Saturday: Long Run 34.5k: 2:55:02 @5:04/km

Ran this with a mate of mine who is aiming for 3:30 in DCM and had a big run planned. Set off at 6am in the dark, with no real route in mind except for the fact that it had to end in Kildare town(where i had to collect my car as my wife had left it there overnight). Ended up making a balls of the route and after taking a left through Sheshoon stud between the Curragh and Kildare town we took a wrong turn and ended up at 31k in Suncroft at a signpost saying 'Kildare 8km' :(
    Stopped at 34ish k, walked (and failed to thumb a lift) for about 3k and jogged the last couple of km to the car. I'd no breakfast and half a lucozade sport in me, so it was pretty grim by the end :o still, another LR ticked off...

Sunday: AM: 6k w/pooch no watch
    PM: 9k Easy: 44:35 @4:57/km

1 session a week for the next couple of weeks; 4x2miles on Wednesday and a steady 30k LR on Sat lined up for the week ahead....

Dublin Marathon 2018: Week 10 of 16

Mon: 16k Easy: 1:19:53 @4:59/km

Tue: 14.7k Easy: 1:15:48 @5:07/km

First run with both my mates who I did Rotterdam and Limerick with for a few weeks. Great craic making plans and challenges the whole way around...

Wed: Session 4x2 Miles off 4mins.

Plan was to keep the reps in or around 12mins. Used the same loop in the Camp that I used for my 8mile tempo a few weeks back, again it's not the flattest but it's a nice surface and relatively quiet.

11:44, 11:48, 11:48, 11:42

First rep came through a little hot, but effort felt spot on. Got into a nice rhythm and by the 3rd rep I felt very controlled out there. Blowing a little towards the end of final rep but nothing too outrageous.

With 2k wu&cd the run came to about 18.5k. Moving nicely.....

Thu: 16.5k Easy: 1:21:48 @4:57/km

Back up in Marino on Thursdays doing a bit of work so I'll be hitting the Clontarf sea front for some easy miles :) met Singer for the first time on Griffith Avenue, great to chat face to face with someone who I've been talking to for my entire running journey so far :) Out to the statue thing? that's past wooden bridge beside Bull Island, went up into St Anne's Park then, first time apart from the Raheny 5 Mile that I'd been in the Park....very nice :)

Fri: 17k made up of a few different runs checking a couple of distances for the route of a charity race on the plains for my mate who was helping organise that Saturday.

Sat: 30k Relaxed/Steady: 2:14:07 @4:28/km

Up at 6am for this off the back of a ropey couple of nights with Erin. Was VERY close to pulling the plug, but got out the door. Start relaxed and finish steady were the instructions, no specific distances or times though.
    First km 5:11 and I'm already deciding that this is just going to be a run where i get in the miles. However, slowly but surely I start to come around and pick up the pace. I can honestly say that by the end I was feeling invincible, best I've ever felt on a run, cruising around at sub3 MP. Now I may have been semi delirious due to lack of sleep and no fuelling on the run.....but I'll take it :)

Sun: 12k Buggy AM: 1:03:00 @5:15/km

Got this is in before i commenced watching and tracking the Berlin Marathon. Planned to get out again in the evening but that didn't materialise. My mileage is levelling out at about 130k, if I have a good week and fit in a couple of doubles then 140k is there, but 130kish seems to be the general total which just fine.

A mate of mine going for 2:55 had a bad time of it in Berlin, similar enough to my travails last year. Swelling on his knee due to an insect bite the week before put paid to his chances and after staying on course for 25k it just caught up with him. Always hard to watch someone do the death shuffle for the last 10k on a tracker, as someone who's done it twice in the last year I felt the pain. Was buzzing after the race though, I do have unfinished business with Berlin.....

126k for the week. HM next Saturday.....

Mon: 16k Easy: 1:19:47@4:59/km
    Grim enough evening for a run.

Tue: Session: Fartlek 20x60secs on/off. 2Mile w/u and c/d
    Had to scrap the planned 20x400m (my regular race week session) as I couldn't make it down to the track. Tipped away to the Industrial Estate in Newbridge to do the session for the first time. Found a 500ish meter loop which was perfect for this. Really enjoyed this one as I hadn't done a Fartlek in a while. No time to dwell on things between the efforts :) ended up covering about 10k in the 40mins, which I just laughed at when I was reading through the splits afterwards.

Wed:
    AM: 8.6k Easy: 45:31 @5:15/km
    Commute into the Curragh into a gale. Tough going.......
    PM: 7.5k Easy: 36:13 @4:50/km
    The wind giveth back.....

Thu: 10k Easy: 49:52/km @4:59/km
    A good soaking on the Clontarf sea front.

So the HM on Saturday now. I'm going to give 80mins a good rattle. Had a good chat with my mate and he reckons 80mins is there for the taking. I'm in good form, I've 5 weeks to DCM, Saturday is just another chance to race well. Unlike previous years I don't feel like I need a fast half time to convince me that I can reach my marathon goal, but I'm going to race it and do the shape I'm in justice hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best of luck - I'd go along with your mate, its deffo there for you...great if it happens, no big deal if not....you're still in great shape

Advertisement