Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Nice review J. Great block and super impressive race times. What plan did you follow for this? Apologies if you've said. My memory isn't recollecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nice review J. Great block and super impressive race times. What plan did you follow for this? Apologies if you've said. My memory isn't recollecting.

No worries Paul :) Have a buddy who takes care of my training so a custom plan so to speak. Very appreciative of it too I might add ;)

healy1835 wrote:
    No worries Paul Have a buddy who takes care of my training so a custom plan so to speak. Very appreciative of it too I might add

Of course if I had bothered remembering your opening post in the log i would've known!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Hope it all goes as planned on Sunday. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best Sunday J, have a great race. Run well!!

• Advertisement

Whatever happens on Sunday there's big things ahead for you. You've shown your ability in this block. Hope it goes well for you. Run well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow J, you're in great shape, PB all the way!!

Just back from a long walk with Erin Healy. Legs not in too bad a shape. 2:58:01 PB for me yesterday. Sub 2:55 was shaping up very nicely until about 34k. Left calf was becoming too big an issue and had to pare things back a little over the last 5 miles. I'm disappointed and a little frustrated if I'm honest, but if you'd told me on that sunny April afternoon in Rotterdam after that disastrous run, that I'd run 2:59 in Limerick and 2:58 in Dublin I would have bitten both your hands off. Will have a few pints today and post something more substantial tomorrow. Thanks for all the good wishes here and on other places. J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done, J - you've put in a huge amount of work over the course of the year and are in a great position to kick on from here. I watched the race yesterday and saw some people have outstanding days, some have ok days and others have disasterous days...there really is sooo much that can go wrong over the course of 26.2 miles that I'm of the firm opinion, a PB in a marathon should be taken with both hands every single time it comes along.

When it falls on the right day for you, there's a serious chunk to come off that time...but I think you already know that. Until then, keep up the great work, its great to see\follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Thing about the marathon as well - not just the marathon, mind - is that improvement is so rarely a continuous upward curve. There'll be little jumps, a plateau or two, a dip even, and if we're lucky, a big jump once or twice on the journey.

If you keep the training going as you have this year, then you will almost certainly take a fair chunk off the 2.58. Your log could be one of those threads that we look back on in 5 years' time and think, Jeez, this lad was going for sub 3 not that long ago.

For now, recover well. Enjoy the pb even if it was a bit less than you hoped for and come back stronger next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »
    Just back from a long walk with Erin Healy. Legs not in too bad a shape. 2:58:01 PB for me yesterday. Sub 2:55 was shaping up very nicely until about 34k. Left calf was becoming too big an issue and had to pare things back a little over the last 5 miles. I'm disappointed and a little frustrated if I'm honest, but if you'd told me on that sunny April afternoon in Rotterdam after that disastrous run, that I'd run 2:59 in Limerick and 2:58 in Dublin I would have bitten both your hands off. Will have a few pints today and post something more substantial tomorrow. Thanks for all the good wishes here and on other places. J

Great run though and I think we all know that there is more there - (btw my PB is 2.58.00:P )

Dublin Marathon 2018 Report

Pre Race: Eating and Drinking was pretty straightforward on the Fri & Sat, had one last trot Sat morning before the expo and got in and out of the RDS without incident :) Sun morning had my usual pre race breakfast of Porridge, Banana, Brown Bread and got a lift off my training partner who was pacing another buddy's 3:30 attempt. I'll see AMK's Mount St office and raise him with an Office on Merrion Square beside the bag drop :) stayed in there until about 8:30 and set off for the start area. Positioned myself ahead of the 3hour balloons, had a nosey around it couldn't see any familiar faces. Wasn't feeling as nervous as usual and was surprisingly calm :o

Km 1-5: (4:07, 4:01, 4:05, 4:07, 4:10) 20:29

I'll log the splits from the Garmin but the GPS wasn't great early on, 1.2k on the watch as I passed the 1km marker. There's no way I ran a 4:01 second km. I was really reigning things in and making sure i didn't get carried away. Climbing up to Stoneybatter, made sure i didn't miss the first water station, ditched the gloves I was wearing. All good.

Km 6-10: (4:02, 4:07, 4:12, 4:10, 4:10) 20:41

Into the Park, really conscious of not pushing hard here. Dialled back to 4:10's and was feeling great. Got chatting to a chap from Newbridge AC, possibly Loughie from these parts, meant to ask him but never got around to it. Anyway, we would need up running together up until about Orwell Road, he ran 2:54 for a great result. Took first gel @5miles. Garmin has my 10k split @41:10, official 10k split was 41:43, which accounts for a couple of those fast looking kms on the watch, no way did I run a 4:01 or 4:02 split in that first 10k. That was around about 2:56 pace which was exactly the plan. All still good.

Km 11-15: (4:10, 4;06, 4:00, 4:21, 4:02) 20:39

Maintained that 4:10 pace through Castleknock and then set about making back some of those seconds on the decline back into the PP. Checking in with Newbridge AC, we both figured we were feeling pretty good but may need a pitstop. He pitted first, i pulled in soon after just at the top of the Glen Road, lost about 20 secs but felt all the better for it. Rejoined proceedings and made a conscious effort not go chasing those lost seconds.

Km 16-20: (3:59, 4:11, 4:05, 3:59, 4:09) 20:23

A couple of downhill kms went quickly, took 2nd gel @10miles, pace feeling really comfortable. However I was feeling a bit of pressure in my felt calf. Nothing major, but it was there. Said a few prayers to whoever wanted to hear them, and hoped it wouldn't rear it's head again. Through Kilmainham, and onto Sth Circular Road, taking in the crowds and atmosphere and feeling pretty positive about kicking on in the second half.

Km 21-25: (4:06, 4:11, 4:11, 4:06, 4:05) 20:39

Official halfway split was 1:27:50, pretty much exactly where I wanted to be. Took it cheesy coming through the Crumlin drag and safe in the knowledge from my recce of the 2nd half of the course a couple of weeks back, I knew this was the time to start winding it up a little and see how that felt. Feeling really dialled in at this point, enjoying the experience and also the feeling that it was all going exactly to plan.

Km 26-30: (4:04, 4:06, 4:09, 4:07, 4:02) 20:28

Newbridge AC pushed on around Orwell Rd, I was happy with my pace though and figured I'd keep chipping away on my own rather than go with him. If I could get through Milltown and Clonskeagh then i could think about how hard I could push the last few miles. Business end of things was coming up and I knew the time for digging in would be coming. Felt great though, pace felt very comfortable and I was getting a great kick out of feeling like this at THIS stage of the Dublin Marathon no less. All my training was paying off.......2:04:27 official 30k split

Km 31-35: (4:09, 4:08, 4:11, 4:16, 4:23) 21:07

.....of course there was a pay off of a different variety waiting for me. The pressure in my calf had been there for a while now, but it hasn't got any worse and wasn't affecting me greatly, at this stage of a marathon everyone is feeling something I'm guessing. I think it was the climb up the Milltown Road that things started to get a little worrying. I was maintaining a decent pace, but now the calf was under a lot of pressure, hamstring starting to twinge a little too. Related maybe? Anyway, one particularly bad twinge almost stopped me, but coming up Roebuck I was starting to panic a little. Had to slow up, that 2:54 or better was off the cards, and honestly, a DNF was crossing my mind. I felt like just pulling in going down Fosters Ave. I was suddenly tired, felt like I was crawling, passed by a few runners who I didn't think would be in front of me today. Feeling demoralised and sorry for myself now. FML.......

Km 36-40: (4:34, 4:26, 4:26, 4:22, 4:26) 22:16

.....This didn't last for too long though. Had some cross words for myself, told myself to dig in and bring this thing home. 4:26/kms felt manageable, and as Ray said in his report, it was just about not stopping now. I knew that some where around 2:58 was still on if I could hold this pace. Just. Keep. Moving.

Km 41, 42, .5 (4:28, 4:32, 4:25)

Got to the RDS and I knew that I was at least going to finish the thing now. Kept running, calf is really screaming now. Tried to muster a 200m sprint at the end but had to reign that in after about 50m :o. 2:58:01 on the watch, a PB, a sub 3 in Dublin........feeling relatively happy with myself as I get my medal and t shirt. A little underwhelmed, but happy. As I write this I think I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm happy with result. I am happy.....I'm rambling now. Anyway, was going to go back to the finish line, but traffic management ruled that out. Found myself at the top of the lane where McGrattans is, nipped in there, had 2 pints of Guinness, met and had a good chat with Killerz at the bar. Headed off for my lift home then and have been a strange mixture of proud, frustrated and disappointed since :o all of the above observations are on the money and appreciated.

I think the overriding feeling I have at the moment is one of eagerness to get another chance to do it all again. I felt so good for so long, i really feel like a big Marathon jump is there.....but that will have to wait until next Autumn. I need a break from jumping from Marathon block to marathon block. So there you go folks.

healy1835 wrote:
    I think the overriding feeling I have at the moment is one of eagerness to get another chance to do it all again. I felt so good for so long, i really feel like a big Marathon jump is there.....but that will have to wait until next Autumn. I need a break from jumping from Marathon block to marathon block. So there you go folks.

Well done on managing that to the end.

Makes absolute sense you'd have mixed emotions. Deep down though it must feel good to know you felt that good (if that makes sense).

Can't wait to see how much damage you do on the shorter stuff. Some serious running on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Dublin Marathon 2018 Report

As I write this I think I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm happy with result. I am happy.....

I think the overriding feeling I have at the moment is one of eagerness to get another chance to do it all again. I felt so good for so long, i really feel like a big Marathon jump is there......

Nope - dont try to convince yourself about it if it isn't there. Use it the next time.

Obviously a good result - but you know there's more there - we all know that - when you do translate it into a super performance, then you can be delighted.

5 days of a mid term break and some very questionable dietary decisions, have seen me emerge with a little more perspective about the weekend. I've ran a sub 3 in Dublin, something which was a pipe dream for me until not so long ago. The race didnt go exactly to plan, but my B goal of a PB was achieved relatively comfortably. Regardless of whether I ran 2:54 or 3:14 last weekend I was going to introduce S&C into my training routine. I've never done a single exercise since i started running so I'm positive there are a lot of gains for me here.

I also copped myself on as regards some of my post race thoughts. Ever since I started this, I've only ever been competing with myself and the clock. That is genuinely the only motivation I need. The enjoyment I get out of running well and/or hitting a goal time is immense. After DCM i let the fact get to me that a couple of guys who I would have always have a bit to spare over had huge days and posted the sort times I thought I'd post. This really isn't how I think about running and I'm annoyed that I allowed my own disappointment to let in thoughts like this.

There's lots of things I might post about as regards my training for this block and how i might improve on it in the future but that's not for this post. I'm leaving DCM '18 block with big PBs in the 10Mile & Half and a 2:58 marathon PB. I've never felt fitter, stronger or more positive about running and I'm just looking forward to what's in store next. J

5 days of a mid term break and some very questionable dietary decisions have seen me emerge with a little more perspective about the weekend. I've ran a sub 3 in Dublin, something which was a pipe dream for me until not so long ago. The race didnt go exactly to plan, but my B goal of a PB was achieved relatively comfortably. Regardless of whether I ran 2:54 or 3:14 last weekend I was going to introduce S&C into my training routine. I've never done a single exercise since i started running so I'm positive there are a lot of gains for me here.

I also copped myself on as regards some of my post race thoughts. Ever since I started this, I've only ever been competing with myself and the clock. That is genuinely the only motivation I need. The enjoyment I get out of running well and/or hitting a goal time is immense. After DCM i let the fact get to me that a couple of guys who I would have always have a bit to spare over had huge days and posted the sort times I thought I'd post. This really isn't how I think about running and I'm annoyed that I allowed my own disappointment to let in thoughts like this.

There's lots of things I might post about as regards my training for this block and how i might improve on it in the future but that's not for this post. I'm leaving DCM '18 block with big PBs in the 10Mile & Half and a 2:58 marathon PB. I've never felt fitter, stronger or more positive about running and I'm just looking forward to what's in store next. J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good attitude and quick mental turnaround. Just relax and allow the niggles heal. Niggles coming on at 30km and pushing through them for 45mins will be pretty broken.

And it could have been worse. I saw 1 other lad who went through half in 1:18 and finished in 2:58. Bet you felt a whole lot better about your day than he did. Kudos for pushing through and its a well deserved PB! Good thinking not jumping straight to another marathon cycle. I follow this log and have a feeling like others that you have real potential at the shorter stuff

That's not the worst trait in a runner in my opinion. I'm very similar. My confidence took a dent after my first XC race seeing so many lads who I normally compete with doing so much better. No harm in letting that get to you a bit if it helps drive you on and keeps you motivated. Seems like you've come out of it with a great perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Properly catching up... a disappointing run that healy2017 or me would bite your hand off to get!

Where did the calf problem come from? Have you felt it before? How has it been since? Once something like that pops up in a marathon it's headwrecking to keep going at all and you slogged it out pretty well. Sounds like a trait of yours that would be put to good use at cross country or something :)

Whatever's next I'd definitely not go near those 5k and 10k PBs, they're perfectly good where they are ;)

Singer wrote: »
    Properly catching up... a disappointing run that healy2017 or me would bite your hand off to get!

Where did the calf problem come from? Have you felt it before? How has it been since? Once something like that pops up in a marathon it's headwrecking to keep going at all and you slogged it out pretty well. Sounds like a trait of yours that would be put to good use at cross country or something :)

Whatever's next I'd definitely not go near those 5k and 10k PBs, they're perfectly good where they are ;)

:) Those PBs won't be around too much longer don't worry :o

The calf issue has intermittently raised its head. My first year of running i had a good few issues with it, ran my 2nd marathon in calf sleeves, but since then not really. Rotterdam was calf related but I would be fairly confident that was more down to hydration issues. Haven't had any issues with them on any type of run; LR, Sessions, Races. In Limerick they were fine. As I said I'm going to introduce some S&C into proceedings so I'm hoping that will improve things. Funnily enough, in Limerick I dropped half a Zero tab into my water @ 5,15 & 25k. Had planned on doing the same in Dublin, but when I (finally) emptied out my marathon bag yesterday and put my shorts in the wash, the 3 zero tabs were still there in the pocket. Maybe it wouldn't have changed things........but still. I was cruising along and never even thought of them :(

• Advertisement

Haven't been doing a whole lot since the Marathon (by design of course!).

Thu: 5Miles Very Easy: 42:31@5:17/km
    Fri: 10.5k Very Easy: 56:51@5:25/km
    Mon: 5Miles Very Easy: 42:30@5:17/km
    Wed: 6Miles Very Easy: 53:19@5:32/km
    Thu: 4Miles A Little Less Easy: 30:06@4:40/km (last mile 6:58)

Gonna sit down and plan out the next few months with the man in charge at the weekend. With his encouragement I've also bit the bullet and joined Newbridge AC. I've never 'not joined' them if you know what I mean, but when I had my training plans being taken care of, there wasn't an immediate need to join, and with the varying degrees of hecticness :) of everyday life, I've just never followed through and joined...until now. I know a good few guys in the club and there's a good group in around and above my own level which I think I need in my training right now.

My own tentative plan, notwithstanding this weekend's think-in, is a 10k block starting December-ish, incorporating Raheny, and then a target 10k a little after. Then target a half marathon, maybe Limerick. Hoping to race more in the New Year, and I'm sure joining the club will certainly help this.

The longer stuff is still my preference. I think that I can take a chunk of my half time next year, and I want to nail a marathon. I understand that a little more patience might need to be introduced here, but after DCM, and how I felt for most of the race, I'm going after 2:50 next time I toe the line all things going well.

Where will that be though? I've entered Dublin, and the fact that will be some refund/transfer system in operation is welcome as I'm in the lottery for Berlin as well. I have a feeling I'm not going to get Berlin for some reason, but if i don't I'm not sure whether to target somewhere else. The challenge of running a good time on the Dublin course is a big appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best of luck with the next few months, J - good move joining the club too

Nothing too exciting going on in training but that should start to change a bit from here :)

Fri: 4Miles Easy 31:19 @4:52/km
    Sun: 9k Buggy: 44:08 @4:54/km

Mon: 10.5k Easy 51:01 @4:51/km
    Wed: 10.5k Easy 51:32 @4:54/km

Both of these on the plains.

Thu: 10k Easy 50ish no/watch
    Fri: AM 7.5k 37:07@4:57/km
    PM 5Mile 35:07@4:22/km

Running in and out of work, took the handbrake off coming home, 5 mile Royal Flush (7:49, 7:10, 7:04, 6:45, 6:19) felt AMAZING by the end :)

Sat: Session: 10x1min on/1min float

Paces: 3:27, 3:21, 3:24, 3:22, 3:25, 3:15, 3:20, 3:16, 3:13, 3:19

Wasn't the most spectacular of sessions but just designed to remind the body that it could run fast :) working hard for the last couple of minutes, but I reckon i could hold that for 20 efforts if it came down to it. There was an 18:44 5k split in there....I really need to tidy up that 5k PB!!
    11.54km in total

Sun: 8k Pooch, no watch. 40ish

Weekly Total:66k

Mon: in and out of work
    AM: 7.5K: 37:04 @4:57/km
    PM: 7.5K: 35:17 @4:42/km

Tue: 5 Miles Easy: 39:42 @4:56/km
    Wet and miserable on the plains. Just about fitted this one in.

Wed: 10k Easy: 49:13 @4:55/km
    Glorious but soft on the plains, run flew by listening to Andy Lee interview on Second Captains.

Fri: Session: 6x1k off 2mins

Now that I'm a member of Newbridge A.C. the option of running on the track at night opens up to me (as opposed to, ahem, jumping the fence and cracking out a session during the daytime :) )
    One of my best mates would be a pretty good runner, (and former boardsie ronnie085 no less) but we've never actually ran together as he moved down to laois a few years back and has always been way faster than me regardless. Well now he's still faster, but the option of doing some sessions together has come into play now that I'm in the club and can, relatively speaking, not disgrace myself in a session with him :) So we arranged a session tonight and as it was to be on the grass track rather than the gravel, I also made my debut in a pair of spikes :o
    Spikes will take a bit of getting used to I think but I enjoyed the session. Friday night's aren't generally on my radar for running and I usually get my run in early to avoid running on empty mojo reserves after a week at work, but once I got going I forgot about it.
    Session itself was obviously my first hard workout since DCM, and whilst the numbers might suggest I had a hard time of it, (3:28, 3:29, 3:34, 3:34, 3:38, 3:39) I actually enjoyed it. Definitely went out too hard, underestimated the process of acclimatizing to and running in the new spikes and on a wet and soggy track. Held things together relatively ok for the last couple and by the warm down I was buzzing :) 15k all in all for my evenings work.

So 2019, at the moment, is looking a little like this.

Raheny 5 Mile: Jan 29th

Enniscorthy 10k: Feb 10th

Kildare Novice Road Race 5k: Feb 17th

K Club 10k: 23rd March (hope to do a 10miler this weekend, but K Club is nice and handy, and logistics might work against travelling for a 10miler. Will see closer to the time)

Limerick Half Marathon: 5th May

Hope to add in a couple more races, some of the BHAA XC maybe, but they'll be decided closer to the time. Berlin ballot next week will shape the rest of the year :)

Saturday: 10.3k Easy: 50:40 @4:55/km

Sunday: 17.2k LR: 1:30:18 @5:14/km

Enjoyable ramble around Monasterevin, rivers, canals, forests, hills, good company, slow pace. All good :)

Monday & Tuesday: Nowt. P/T meetings in the school and lots of family stuff meant I didn't get out.

Wednesday: 10k Easy with 5x1min thrown in. 51:26 @5:18/km. Just glad to get out. Went with my training partner who is still working his way back to full fitness. The 60secs 'on' were very 'on' to be fair and he held in there.

Thursday: 14k Relaxed: 1:04:13 @4:35/km

Picked up a pair of Nike Epic React Flyknits and donned them for this one. Eh, maybe the sweetest pair of runners I've ran in. Really light and really springy. Came back to find out thatbi didn't get Berlin in the ballot but my training partner did :( will try the charity places on Wednesday, but if it's Dublin in the Autumn, then I'm pretty ok with that.

Friday: 20k Easy/Relaxed: 1:33:20 @4:40/km

Ran from the camp with my buddy, planned to run the 12ks of Christmas route for next week and come back, but the fading light sort of caught us out, so we doubled back so as to get off some ropey enough roads before it got too dark. Did the last 5miles solo and was feeling pretty loose and relaxed by the end. Santa Steam train tomorrow so happy to get this effort in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hear ya on the React’s, on my second pair of Odessey’s. Great runner with loads of bounce.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Here ya on the React’s, on my second pair of Odessey’s. Great runner with loads of bounce.

Yeah was waiting for Santa/Black Friday. Bought myself a pair and got the sister to pick me up another :) 59 quid down from 150. Couldn't go wrong Barry ;)

So with my failure to bag one of the charity places in Berlin this morning, that firms up my plan for the next 18 months. 10k/Half training blocks until May of next year. DCM '19 and then London '20 on a GFA entry. I'm not going to lie and say I'm not a little disappointed, but I've ran the Berlin Marathon before and as i've mentioned on here, I'd prefer to nail the marathon in Dublin tbh. Plus, I've 3 weddings in 2 weeks in early August next year, so that could have played a bit of havoc with training for Berlin. My training partner got Berlin so we'll still be able to cross over a good bit of our training I'm presuming. There will be plenty more opportunities to get into Berlin (although the 2:45 Fast runner qualifying time might be a couple of years away yet ;) ) Anyway I've the much more serious matter of a 12k's of Christmas race this weekend to occupy my thoughts.....not quite sure where I am but the plan is to go through 10K in or around 37mins. Whether that happens or not I genuinely have no idea.....

Sunday: 14.5k Easy: 1:13:58@5:06/km

Easy jaunt around the town after Santa Train exertions the day before.....lots of chocolate and mince pies to be ran off :)

Tue: AM: 7.5k: 36:36@4:53/km
    PM: 8.5k: 40:01@4:42/km

Runmute x 2

Wed: Hill Session: 10x350m continuous w/downhill recoveries

Went on the road for this one, decent little climb by the old graveyard on the Curragh. Got pretty dark by the end and had to do my cool down back in the street lights of town.

Paces for efforts were;
    3:47, 3:51, 3:53, 3:46, 3:52, 3:46, 3:44, 3:49, 3:47, 3:40

Enjoyed that. Route was a tough one, a little slippy in parts and a little dangerous by the last couple of reps due to the failing light. But i gave it a good rattle and was working very hard by the end.

2k w/u & 2mile c/d

• Advertisement

Thu: 10k Easy: 48:52 @4:53/km

My lovely wife managed to go over on her ankle leaving work and, long story short, ended up with a fractured ankle and in a boot for min 3 weeks, but probably longer. Next couple of weeks will see a big increase in taxi duties so will try and fit in as many runs as I can, but may fall short :) so i found myself scrambling, but still able to make it to 12ks of Christmas this morning......on maybe 4hrs sleep over the previous 2 nights :o

12ks of Christmas: 43:58 (5th Place)

I'd ran this race last year and finished 2nd in 46mins. So the plan was to run faster and see where that took me :) there was a 6k option too and I think nearly 1000 runners took part all on all, and the Running/Tri Club KTRTC did a great job in getting a good atmosphere going on a pretty ****ty morning weather wise.

There was a new route this year and it turned out to be trickier than last year's, (if a little short. Most people seemed to have it at 11.8/11.9. Unusual for a PopUpRaces event in my experience, but not sure if they are in charge of the route plan for all their races).

The first mile was mayhem, out of the industrial estate and into the town, pretty quick downhill start, found myself about 8th, the stewards in the town didn't seem ready for us, and hadn't traffic stopped And also didn't seem to be sure if they wanted us to run on the path or the road on some sections. Anyway, myself and another runner had a close enough call with a van on Kildare Town main street :o this and a mad greyhound that ran the first 3k with us kept the mind occupied.

The race itself was pretty non eventful. Places settled down and I found myself about 150m down on a Newbridge AC guy, sorry CLUBMATE, (This was my debut for the club :) ) and I pretty much kept this distance for the rest of the race and ran solo. Went though 10k marker @36:58, 37:15 by the Garmin. Last mile was mayhem; like last year the 12k merged with the 6k walkers on a stretch of road thats was both narrow and not closed on either side. Marshalls had their work cut out and i came to a standstill twice as i attempted a gradstand finish ;) finished strong and got in under the 44 mins.

Didn't feel particularly sharp out there but really enjoyed the run. A long hard tempo is probably a better description of how the effort levels felt. I'd liken this to my Mullingar 10 Miler early in the summer. Just a bit of a range finder, ramp up the quality of the training now and nail Raheny & Enniscorthy after Christmas :) great spread afterwards in the Boxing club.

Advertisement