Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Hi Healy1835,

Nice work. Are you taking standing, walking or jog recovery for the 90 second in your 800m session?

Cheers!

Walking recovery, bar a some swigs of water at a couple of junctures. Averaged about 130m between reps...... :)

Sun: 12k Easy: 57:40 @4:48/km
    Meant to be longer but basically had a 3 hr window to myself (the joys!) Said I'd nap for a hour and then go out for 24k easy......2hrs later off I Go for an easy 12k :) I figure I needed that sleep more than the extra 12k.

80k for the week. Hopefully will be closer to the 100k next week.

Mon: 11.3k Easy: 56:14 @4:59/km
    Plod around the plains. Felt slow.....

Tue: AM 7.5km: 36:47 @4:54/km
    PM 8.5km: 40:03 @4:43/km
    In and out of work, legs felt great by the end. Could have went longer if I had a little more time to play with.

Wed: Session: 16x400m off 45secs rest. 2k w/u, 2mile c/d

Well......400's would be one of my favourite sessions, something about the rhythm and lack of comfort strangely appeals to me. That was with 60 secs recovery however, did a 400s session with shorter recoveries for the first time today and it was a different animal. Every time I looked down at the watch after a rep there seemed to be 20secs recovery left :( got some really consistent splits in though and really feel like my consistency of performance in these sessions is improving.

Splits: 73,73,74,73,74,71,73,73,73,74,73,73,73,74,74,73

Hopefully will keep this nice little run of form going til Raheny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow metronomic, awesome session!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Wow metronomic, awesome session!

I dunno, what's with the 71 like :D

Brilliantly executed.

Well done J.

• Advertisement

Thu: AM: 7.5k Recovery: 38:19@5:07/km
    PM: 9.2k Easy: 44:20@4:49/km

A pair of runmutes.

Fri: 13k Easy: 1:03:14@4:52/km

Nipped down to the club track during the run and tried (&failed) to get a club singlet to don in my upcoming races. My buddy & former boardsie Ronnie085 had just finished a session so ran a few of his cool down laps with him and headed home. Will try again for singlet next week :)

Sat: Session 5x1Mile off 2mins recovery

After being up from 4am again with Erin :o and then seeing my window of opportunity close dramatically to about an hour and also brought forward to 9am, I sacrificed a rep in order to still include a decent w/u & c/d. So 6x1 Mile became 5x1 Mile......

Jogging out of the estate I'm debating just turning back but I said I'd just let things play out and see how I felt when I got to the track.

Not particularly fantastic was the answer....5:20's were the target :o but after the first rep, 5:41, it became apparent that I needed to discard this number and just run each effort on perceived effort.

Splits: 5:41, 5:28, 5:22, 5:28, 5:28

Funnily enough it was only the last two reps where I felt good. After the 3rd I knew that I couldn't do 2 more at that pace so I just relaxed and the last 2 felt really controlled I'm comparison to the first 3, all of which I never felt quite in control of things.

Jogged home after, just happy to have gotten it in.

Sun: 21.1k Easy: 1:40:39 @4:46/km

Pretty similar start to the day as Saturday :( but whilst I may be feeling a bit stretched in life in general, once I get out on these runs the body is feeling great. No ill effects from yesterday, but was instructed to take this LR easy rather than the planned steady run. Suited me perfectly, popped on the back pack as I had to collect some new shiny gear (Brooks jacket and some Adidas leggings :) ) from Parcel Motel, listened to a few podcasts and enjoyed myself in the drizzle.

103k for the Week. 2 weeks to Raheny, a few shorter, sharper sessions coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Leggings, thought they bred tougher that that in Kildare!! Watch the sleep J, lack of can catch up on you quickly enough in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm always agreeing with you on here. Some day we'll find something to disagree about.

Same word of caution from me J. Busy homelife plus busy work plus lack of sleep plus fairly intense training can sneakily catch up on you and you seem similar to me with a fairly driven, no excuse approach to your running. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

You seem to have gone up to anyone level in a short period of time. Brilliant session Saturday. It will be interesting to see how you fair in Raheny

Thanks all.....yeah definitely aware of pitfalls. Might chat to the boss later and see do we need to tweak anything in the next couple of weeks.

I'm finding I can attack the sessions a bit more now that I'm not in marathon training and the overall mileage is lower. Breaking 3hours in Limerick was a big confidence booster, but definitely feel like i turned a bit of a corner since the Frank Duffy, slightly disappointing DCM notwithstanding. Feel like I might make another breakthrough in the next few weeks, but if not, I'm just enjoying the consistency of training. The results will come if I can keep that up.

• Advertisement

What about the leggings......

OOnegative wrote:

Real men wear leggings

OOnegative wrote: »

I don't know what to say to you Barry :o leggings are IN right now :)

Real men wear leggings

Sure you were wearing them DCM day & it was practically tropical out!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Real men wear leggings

Says a leggings wearer! :pac:

OOnegative wrote:
    Sure you were wearing them DCM day & it was practically tropical out!!!!

Twas all the standing around. Plus I left limerick at 6am.twas cold..lol.
    skyblue46 wrote:
    Says a leggings wearer!

Us men in tights need to stick together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Us men in tights need to stick together.

Yeah ye do...in The George! :D

skyblue46 wrote:
    Yeah ye do...in The George!

Hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »

Sat: Session 5x1Mile off 2mins recovery

Not particularly fantastic was the answer....5:20's were the target :o but after the first rep, 5:41, it became apparent that I needed to discard this number and just run each effort on perceived effort.

Splits: 5:41, 5:28, 5:22, 5:28, 5:28

Funnily enough it was only the last two reps where I felt good. After the 3rd I knew that I couldn't do 2 more at that pace so I just relaxed and the last 2 felt really controlled I'm comparison to the first 3, all of which I never felt quite in control of things.

I'm flabbergasted by this workout.

Why would 5.20 be a target pace - it seems much faster than your 5k pace??
    I'd love to know that thought process behind this workout??

Even the 'actual' paces are unreal :) - and all off 2 mins!
    You'd better race soon :)

I thought the same but didn't want to be harassing him on here as well as Strava. haha. I can honestly say at no stage last year was I ever prescribed anything near 1 mile at that pace let along 6! Would love to know the thoughts behind it.

He's right though J - get a race into those legs quickly!! haha

• Advertisement

Quote: Swashbuckler
    I'm always curious when I see people's sessions what exactly they're targeting. Those 800s - would they be considered a vo2 max session or is it a pure leg turnover session?

Paul I'm going to be perfectly honest with you here. The majority of the time I don't question in too much detail what I've been given! I could and i'd get the answers, but I'm pretty relaxed that I'm in good hands and don't really do a whole lot else other than run and report back ;)

I suppose my reply would be something similar to the above :) I've never followed a plan in the sense I look at different plans and decide on one. I've never actually looked at a plan so I don't really have a guide apart from what I see other people doing on here and on Strava. I have an idea of what a plan should look like, but the specificity of the various sessions would be something I never really question. I say to my buddy what race(s) I'm targeting and he usually tweaks my schedule and gives me the plan which he has been doing since I was running 36min 6k's the first week of training for DCM '15 ;)
    I am aware that my last few track sessions have been pretty <insert word here> and maybe I'm overdoing it in these sessions, but apart from that 5 Mile Tempo I haven't been given any negative feedback by the man in charge. Maybe Newbridge AC track is short and in some weird GPS anomaly!!.....
    But don't think I'm dismissing any advice on here either.....(starts to panic)....

He hasn’t guided you wrong in anyway yet. Raheny 5 should be good to you.

I wouldn't worry J. And I'm definitely not questioning the methods or execution. The results are there to see. Im just a nosey fecker .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Any man wearing leggings deserves all the abuse from passing cars and giggling from teenage girls they get. I don't give a crap how liberated it makes ye feel to prance around like castrated ballerinas, no one else wants to see that. Buy a good pair of slim fit running pants for christs sake!!

El CabaIIo wrote:
    Any man wearing leggings deserves all the abuse from passing cars and giggling from teenage girls they get. I don't give a crap how liberated it makes ye feel to prance around like castrated ballerinas, no one else wants to see that. Buy a good pair of slim fit running pants for christs sake!!

To add to matters I wear shorts over mine which apparently is a major no no

El CabaIIo wrote: »

Slim fit running pants!? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

healy1835 wrote: »
    Slim fit running pants!? :o

They're like a halfway house between tights and tracksuit pants. I find them better than tights in my opinion as they are a bit more breathable and not as restrictive. I also find them handy as I can wear my shorts underneath if I'm warming up for a session and can toss the pants quickly. I also find them better in the rain and hail as they don't stick to you as much.

These are pretty much what they are although you can get looser or tighter depending on your preference.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/tracksmith-solomon-pants-copy-1535479542.jpg?crop=0.5867507886435331xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*

El CabaIIo wrote:
    These are pretty much what they are although you can get looser or tighter depending on your preference.

So, loose tights basically ;)

So I picked up a bit of a dose. Who could have predicted that? ;) knocked the stuffing out of me a bit, but I think I'm just about out of the woods. Meant I missed both sessions this week and took a couple of days off, but I've a few good sessions + runs in the bank so I shouldn't have lost anything. Easy running until I'm back to 100%,so will look at fitting in session Wednesday and get some speed into the legs before Sunday.

Mon: 11.5k Recovery: 59:47 @5:12/km

Realised mid run here that I may be coming down with something.

Tue: Off. In from work and straight to bed after dinner.

Wed: 10.5k Easy: 51:10 @4:52/km

Shuffle around the plains.

Thu: 13k Easy: 1:01:47 @4:45km

Nice run from Marino down along the sea front, up through Raheny and back to Marino via Donnycarney.

Fri: Nothing. But wrecked after a tough enough week in work. Didn't want to push things.

Sat: 10k Relaxed: 46:00 @ 4:36/km

Instructions came down the wire to under no circumstances do the prescribed 600m intervals and also to back off on the steady long run on Sunday. Felt great on the 10k.....

Sun: 20k Easy: 1:39:04 @4:57/km

****ty enough morning, but had some company and the chat was good.

67k for the week.

• Advertisement

Hope it clears up quickly. Looking forward to seeing how you get on in Raheny 5M

Advertisement