Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Tue: 10 Miles Easy: 1:19:10 @4:55/km

Had forgotten what it was like to run in decent weather. Calm and warm, evenings getting longer.....a great feeling :)

Wed: Session 16x400m off 60secs

Aim was for a conservative effort (in comparison to a regular 400s session). With 2 races in 6 days, I was just focusing on turnover and and consistent effort and splits. Did the first couple of reps and 78ish seemed to be on point as regards effort....I managed to keep them all in or around this figure, a rogue 74secs did not derail the session and I quickly pared the next rep back a bit.
    Effort levels felt perfect and the session felt pretty easy if I'm honest. In a good spot at the moment, K Club on Saturday & 28k Sunday morning. PB is 36:51 from New Years Day; all things going well I'd be fairly confident of posting a new mark Saturday :)

Just over 13k for the day.

*checks plan......realises that there wasn't actually a session down for this week and I read the wrong week. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »
    *checks plan......realises that there wasn't actually a session down for this week and I read the wrong week. :o

That's a tough enough session prior to a 10k - but you're used to tough runs, so it'll be a benefit to you. Take it handy next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

That certainly does look like a meaty enough session in anyone's book J, good that you found it comfortable though.

Take the foot off the gas a bit between now and Saturday. You're in good shape for sure

It's not like the plan isn't dated and clearly laid out :( I wonder about myself sometimes.......anyway, a couple of very easy days will follow and hopefully I'll get away with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

No biggie J. As AMK would say the main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing. Limerick Half is the goal. You can go into the K club knowing, not only is it not your A goal but you've also had a mighty session this week which will take the pressure off a bit this weekend. How bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Very well ran on Monday! Nice 5.1k PB to get under your belt :D

That session does seem a bit aggressive on paper, but those times look conservative enough... just count them as advanced strides :)

Singer wrote: »
    but those times look conservative enough...

Fcuk sake B - conservative!! 76's & 77's :eek:

I suppose for Johnny, its an easy session - he'd normally do them in 68's off 25 secs.

Fcuk sake B - conservative!! 76's & 77's :eek:

I suppose for Johnny, its an easy session - he'd normally do them in 68's off 25 secs.

That was the old, 37 year old me. I'm a changed man these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best in the morning J, run well!!

Great session mid-week, but a man of your profession should be much better at reading:P:P:P.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best in the morning J, run well!!

Great session mid-week, but a man of your profession should be much better at reading:P:P:P.

My post should have said that I had remembered the wrong week....if I'd read the bloody thing I wouldn't have had a problem :)

So it looks like the key to success is a very tough session on race week ;) well done today

35:10 today :) will throw up a report later......very happy.

healy1835 wrote: »
    35:10 today :) will throw up a report later......very happy.

Super stuff J, going from strength to strength!!! Delighted for you.

Thu: 8.4k Easy: 41:49 @4:47/km

Trying to steady ship before the weekend...

Fri: 5.6k Shakeout w/strides: 26:50 @4:46/km

See Thursday....

Sat: K Club 10k 35:11 PB

Rocked up to the K Club on a pretty beautiful morning and was feeling pretty chipper about things. The idea that I may have over egged the pudding slightly with my phantom 400's session was lingering, but some pretty salient advice on here had the desired calming effect :)

Got a decent warm up in, 4k + strides, and made my way to the start 'line'. This was a bit of a **** show and it took a while for the crowd to get back behind the non visible starting line. After many helpful expletives from one of the organisers, we were given the countdown.

Off we went and as we were trundling down the driveway I still hadn't quite decided on my course of action. PB of 36:51 was certainly going to taken on, but 36 mins seemed attainable if only for the nagging doubts about my week's running to date.....I decided on a 'let's get a mile or two into the race and then take stock' sort of approach :) first km was predictably quick, although I went through it at .9k, more on this later of course, 3:13 on the road and 3:31 on the Garmin. Moving nicely out of the K Club and on to the road, 2nd Km beeps at another 3:31. I'm tagging on to a group here but I decide to fall off it and just pare things back a tad. Get picked up by another group and settle into a decent rhythm for the first 2 mile loop. 3:36, 3:37, 3:35.

Back around for the 2nd loop and I'm feeling pretty spectacular I have to say! Thoughts turn to whether I should have stayed with the first group who are frustratingly in sight up the road. In a group of about 4 now, but I get a sense that things have slowed a little, glance down at watch and pace has dipped towards 3:40 for about 600m of the km, so i up sticks and set off my myself. I'll end up running the rest of the second loop on my own, passing a few but having no one to work off. As I get to end of the loop and the 8k marker, I see that the leading lady has come into my sights so I set her as my target for the final stretch. 3:37, 3:36, 3:36

Things ahead have become a bit strung out and I seem to be passing a few who have dropped back. Lead lady is moving well and I'm gaining on her relatively steadily, maybe 15m back now. 3:35

Up the driveway, fairly sure that the course will come in about 9.9k, but that's neither here nor there now. I've been hearing shouts for Wesley and Shane, who looking at the results and Strava must be Overpronator from these parts who had a great run himself :), and I know that I'm under a bit of pressure. This had the desired effect and gets me up the little incline and a sprint finish to go over the line with 35:10 on the clock and watch :o 35:11 was the official result.

Congratulate the lead lady in the chute and chat to a couple of club mates. Pity I didn't know that OP was behind me as its always nice to meet another Boardsie.

So by most accounts it seems the course was short. It is what it is I suppose. Monday's 5k was a bit long, today a bit short. Long or short this is a huge PB for me and the course doesn't really bother me. The way I felt during, and more importantly after the race, makes me fairly confident that I'll take a bit more out of this time sooner rather than later. The last 4/500m of Raheny were literally a blur, eyeballs out and hanging on. Today was nothing of the sort, I definitely had a good bit more in the tank and crossed the finish line in great nick. Far better shape than someone who just knocked 100seconds off his 10k PB should be :)

Wore the Vapoflys for their debut race and they did feel pretty amazing. How much of a part they played is another question, but there's something going on there! As I said to Noel on Strava, they're around for a good time, not a long time, so I'll stick them back in deep freeze until Limerick :)

Sunday: 30k Easy: 2:26:14 @4:52/km

Sure what else would you be doing of a Sunday morning!! Longest run since DCM, felt fantastic. Tired by the end tbf.......2 PB's, a rogue track session and a 30k LR all in the one week. Lovely stuff :)

100k for the week.

Regardless of the route distance the one thing that’s 100% accurate is your in some shape J, absolutely flying. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jaysus, lad. 30k run the day after a 10k pb. Galen Rupp will be on looking for a training partner.

Congratulations. Sounds like you're in a good spot right now. Find a flat (correctly measured) course in the next month or so and give it a lash again. Or are you moving up in distance now?

Some week - I forgot about that 5k as well!!

Great performance at the K-Club, regardless of the course distance, even adding 20-30 secs to that time, it is a superb time.
    Its also early in the year - so a lot more to come.

Great to see it.

Great stuff J. Much like the HM in Sept you pushed me on in the same weekend again. haha.

Super stuff. Saw your buddies comment on the Nikes - 50 miles seems like madness to me!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on in Limerick. Some serious damage to be done there at the rate you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats on a cracking run J, times\distances aside - it really is a quality performance and shows what you're headed towards over the course of the year.

Well done man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great run man, that Wes lad had a serious hareem of cheerleaders alright, the name is still ringing in my ears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done that's a great pb and I'm well impressed with the long run the next day!

Itziger wrote: »
    Jaysus, lad. 30k run the day after a 10k pb. Galen Rupp will be on looking for a training partner.

Congratulations. Sounds like you're in a good spot right now. Find a flat (correctly measured) course in the next month or so and give it a lash again. Or are you moving up in distance now?

:) in week 5 of a 10 week block for Limerick HM, so no big 10k plans (apart from a local 10k that I'll run @HM pace for a bit of a blowout). Gonna attempt a sub 60 10 mile time trial in a couple of weeks, no 10 mile races really suited, so I'm going to give that a lash :o

...if anyone would like to accompany me on a sub 60min 10 Mile attempt (or part thereof) on Friday morning April 5th in the PP, some company would be much appreciated :)

healy1835 wrote:
    ...if anyone would like to accompany me on a sub 60min 10 Mile attempt (or part thereof) on Friday morning April 5th in the PP, some company would be much appreciated

Not sure if you're willing to travel but both Cobh and Lahinch 10 milers are that weekend (April 7th)

Not sure if you're willing to travel but both Cobh and Lahinch 10 milers are that weekend (April 7th)

Have a wedding on the Saturday, hence the time trial idea :( there's just not enough brownie points available to me to get out of the wedding (I've tried too!). The original plan was Lahinch, as my Dad is from Ennistymon and ive a lot of great memories from that part of the world.......but wedding has put the kybosh on that plan.

healy1835 wrote:
    Have a wedding on the Saturday, hence the time trial idea there's just not enough brownie points available to me to get out of the wedding (I've tried too!). The original plan was Lahinch, as my Dad is from Ennistymon and ive a lot of great memories from that part of the world.......but wedding has put the kybosh on that plan.

And the following week is probably cutting it a bit close to GLR?

And the following week is probably cutting it a bit close to GLR?

Yeah pretty much......I'll just have to cut my cloth accordingly :) solo time trial it shall be....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sub 60 minute 10 mile time trial. That should be classified as a swear word!

• Advertisement

Sub 60 minute 10 mile time trial. That should be classified as a swear word!

I might be a but hasty in nailing down a sub 60 target there......I just want that longer-than-10k effort at something resembling race pace. If I was heading to a race at the moment 60mins would prob be at the lower end of my targets, but a 61/62 min time trial wouldn't be the end of the world and would tick most of the boxes. My PB is 60:33 from the Frank Duffy just gone. I DID run a 1:22 HM time trial in marathon training last Spring, but I had a mate pace me around for that one......Am I biting off more than I can chew here??

Advertisement