Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I dont think so, with the right recovery afterwards it might work.

Another idea might be to do 2x5m (sub 30) with 3-4 mins recovery - you'd get similar physiological benefits and not be as bet up.

If I was doing a similar time trial in the PP - I'd avoid the 15 acres and the Furze/OS loop - From Castleknock Gate, down the North Road, Turn at the zoo and back up to CK gate - this gives you 5 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'm not sure what you'll get from a sub 60 minute time trial J ?

Except a 10 mile race

You're in top shape, your K club run tells you that, why the sub 60 minute time trial? You would probably get more out of 60 minutes at a slower pace or if you really want to get a confidence boost, 3x3 miles\5x2 miles.

I actually like the idea of it too but I don't think it will give you what you need in terms of prep for the half if that's your real target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

My own input was gonna be similar to DD. I'd understand if you felt like you needed some sort of tuneup but you're fairly well tuned with the races you've done. If I was doing a tuneup for a half marathon I'd probably lean more towards a 10k 4 weeks out rather than a ten mile. Is it a confidence thing or do you feel you'd like a race blowout in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I suppose i think a good 10 miler would be a big confidence boost before the half. Would a 10 mile race be considered a bit much in preparation for a HM? Is SB's 10k race the more trodden path?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »
    I suppose i think a good 10 miler would be a big confidence boost before the half. Would a 10 mile race be considered a bit much in preparation for a HM? Is SB's 10k race the more trodden path?

I’d go with P on the 10k option, like himself & DD I think there’s little to be gained from a 10 mile TT, over cook it and you end up injured for what? Another 10k 4 weeks out would serve you better.

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote:

I guess it depends on the type of person you are. If I had run the 5M and 10k you've ran in the last few weeks I'm not sure I'd be short of confidence. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just catching up - terrific racing of late. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

healy1835 wrote: »

You should be brimming with confidence going into the half man. If confidence is the big aim here, I think a 10 mile race is yer man ( what's hte gap? 3\4 weeks? plenty)....a time trial is risky, I know B mentioned the injury risk but I would be more worried about not hitting your target, on a solo run...in the phoenix park ( in who knows what conditions) and what that would do to your confidence.

I'm not for a second doubting you can hit sub 60, you know yourself that you can but its one thing PBing over 5k in a 10k race, PBing over 10 miles on a solo training run is a different story, especially when you leave your confidence hinging on the outcome.

Duanington wrote: »
    You should be brimming with confidence going into the half man. If confidence is the big aim here, I think a 10 mile race is yer man ( what's hte gap? 3\4 weeks? plenty)....a time trial is risky, I know B mentioned the injury risk but I would be more worried about not hitting your target, on a solo run...in the phoenix park ( in who knows what conditions) and what that would do to your confidence.

I'm not for a second doubting you can hit sub 60, you know yourself that you can but its one thing PBing over 5k in a 10k race, PBing over 10 miles on a solo training run is a different story, especially when you leave your confidence hinging on the outcome.

I hear you on the 10 Mile solo-run point. That's probably why i was fishing for some company initially. I wouldn't say my confidence is hinging on running a fast 10 miler, I suppose I'm just a bit impatient in some respects.

The original plan was to run a race, but that had to change due to the wedding. I just sort of want to run under 60mins for 10 Miles :) That being said, If it was a tough day and I ran 62mins it wouldn't affect my confidence for the Half at all....I just figured on a sub 60 10 Miler boosting my confidence further that's all :)

I think you will run under 60mins for 10miles in the Half. That counts right? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

You're well set. I have a couple of workouts that I really like for the Half and even though you'd normally need to build up to them, you're more or less built up already!

I'd either do 15min@HM pace+3x1k@10+15min@HM. That's a fairly big one.

Another peak one is 3x17 mins @ HM pace (that's the one I missed out on recently cos of a minor injury. I did get the 3x15mins session in)

Then there's a progression run. You'd have a fair idea yourself on how to construct one.

Like most of the other posters, I'm not really sure what the 10 miler will get you.

Bet you're sorry you asked now

Limerick Half Marathon Week 5 of 10

Mon: 13k Recovery: Split over Daily Mile stuff at lunchtime, XC with the kids after school and a few miles myself afterwards.

Tue: AM 7.5k: 38:09 @5:03/km
    PM 7.5k: 36:50 @4:55/km

In and out of work.

Wed: Session: 6x1Mile off 90secs

5:40, 5:37, 5:34, 5:36, 5:34, 5:31

Did this on the track and it passed without a hitch really. Glorious day, felt fast and effort levels felt spot on. About 10 Miles in total. Started to feel like I was brewing something afterwards.....

Thu: 16.5k Easy: 1:20:23 @4:52/km

Up in town for some CPD so got the chance to nip off to the PP for 10 miles in pretty spectacular weather. Even cracked out a singlet for this one!

Fri: Daily Mile Stuff: 3Miles: 23:15 @4:49/km

Bit of a rest day. Think I'm feeling better....

Sat: Session: 3x2Miles off 90secs.

Original plan was for these to be 'hard efforts'.....never got around to finding out what pace that would have been as I was told to back off a bit after last weeks exertions, Wednesday's session and the fact I was feeling a bit off during the week. So it was suggested to see how HMP felt and if that felt ok, maybe a tad quicker than that.

I'd made some questionable mini-egg based dietary decisions last night so I wasn't really feeling this one in the warm up :o

Get to 3k of a warm up and then I start the first rep. Glance down at the watch after about 200m, 3.18 showing....Jaysus, slow down Johnny, glance again at watch and I am slowing, 3:40 showing now, great....hold this pace or close to it and I'll be happy. Glance again, 3:55...what is happening!?....stop looking at watch. Look again at watch, 3:82....I've been looking at the distance. Never pressed lap button to start the workout. :( briefly think about jacking the session in!....decide then to do 2x2 mile and then a mile rep at the end.

Splits: 11:54, 11:52, 5:52

Had enough of the watch by the end and warmed down without it! 10 miles for the day give or take I reckon. Steady LR tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow tasty 6x1m and 3x2m sessions in the same week. You are flying! Honestly don't think you need a 10m TT ahead of Limerick.

Sun: LR: 26.5k: 1:55:31 @4:22/km

Got out later in the afternoon as Mothers Day business took precedence in the morning :)

Wanted a steady, progressive effort, so figured out a route beforehand and headed out. About 2k in I'm already regretting wearing a jacket, but its manageable at the moment. Wasnt sure of the exact breakdown of the progression...the route is hilly enough so it wouldn't fit into neat sections. Run went a bit like this...

5k @4:38/km ave
    8k @4:26/km ave
    13.5k @4:12/km ave

Felt strong out there, dropped my jacket into a friend's house in Kilcullen about 15k in, was seriously drenched in sweat :( had a quick glass of water and set off again....I've never finished, actually never really ran any part of a LR at that pace. It felt very comfortable, a good sign for further down the road hopefully.

109k for the week.

Limerick HM Week 6 of 10 :o

Mon:
    9K Easy: 44:54 @4:59/km
    Squeezed this in before an afternoon meeting.

7k-ish in XC with the kids after school and a couple of miles on my own

Tue: 3 Daily Miles @4:40/km

5k Relaxed: 22:43 @4:32/km
    Strapped for time in the evening, got this little guy in.

Wed: 2 Daily Miles @4:40/km

12k Easy: 58:22 @4:52/km

Thu: 2 Daily Miles @4:46/km

14k Easy: 1:09:48 @4:59/km
    Across the windswept plains with some nice sleet for company. What a difference a week makes! The days when I can get a couple of miles in with the kids at lunch times are great.....

Fri: 8 Mile Tempo: 48:55 @3:48/km

So the 10Mile TT got canned, but a longer effort was prescribed....this came in the form of an 8 Mile Tempo. The plan was to go faster than my previous 8 Mile Tempo from week 1, but not going faster than HMP. Was able to do this in the PP, so chose the loop from Chesterfield Ave - North Road. About 7k in total, including the drag up past the zoo but nothing bumpy like the other side of the park. Pretty much went to plan, upped the pace bit by bit and had a strong last couple of miles that were up the drag and into the wind and rain.

Splits: 6:07, 6:15, 6:13, 6:07, 5:57, 5:58, 6:07, 6:11 @6:07 ave.

2 Mile wu & 4k cd.

Will get a run in the morning and then its off to a wedding so Sunday will be a rest day. Have packed a lot into the last 3 weeks......a few pints tomorrow have been earned I reckon :)

thats a super 8m Tempo - well done on that - enjoy those pints.

Sat: 12k Recovery: 1:00:25 @5:02/km

Pre wedding run. Off down to Dunmore East for a great day out.....a good few ales were had. That's it now until after Limerick.

Sun: nope.......spent my hangover tracking AMKs exploits in the Netherlands. Tracking people in a marathon really is a rollercoaster ride :) I was so inspired I told myself I'd get out for 5 miles that evening when children were asleep......alas I fell asleep before some of the aforementioned children ;)

92k for the week.

Limerick Half Marathon Week 7 of 10

Mon:
    11k Easy: 55:15 @5:01/km

Felt sluggish, but it was to be expected.....

Tue:
    2 Daily miles @4:45/km

14.5k Relaxed: 1:07:10 @4:38/km
    Sister picked me up a birthday present of some Nike Zoom Flys on her holidays so gave them their debut. Definitely more suited to faster stuff I reckon......but felt decent enough on this one.

Wed: Session: 5x2k off 2mins @>HMP, 2mile w/u & c/d

Splits: 7:18, 7:15, 7:29, 7:18, 7:15

Partner was struggling a bit so I let him lead the 3rd rep to get a bit of respite. Felt pretty strong out there today, that pace felt very manageable. Did the last rep on my own and it felt like I could have done a few more......zoom flys felt great on this one. 17.5k for the day.

Did you ever run a 2.52 Marathon............................now, let me tell you about mine.......

Did you ever run a 2.52 Marathon............................now, let me tell you about mine.......

Keep the zingers coming Alan :) you've earned them......im under serious pressure for DCM now :o

• Advertisement

Deliberating about what time to target in Limerick......any log readers with some advice :)

healy1835 wrote:
    Deliberating about what time to target in Limerick......any log readers with some advice

Dont target anything! Run as well as you can on the day ;) I've given up targeting times. Too many variables.

That being said I would say youre probably in or around 1.18 shape..... Ish

I'd say 78 / 79 - The danger you'll face is going off too hard based on your 'fast' rep times & your 10k/5k exploits.
    It'll feel easy for the 1st bit!

Dont target anything! Run as well as you can on the day ;) I've given up targeting times. Too many variables.

That being said I would say youre probably in or around 1.18 shape..... Ish
    I'd say 78 / 79 - The danger you'll face is going off too hard based on your 'fast' rep times & your 10k/5k exploits.
    It'll feel easy for the 1st bit!

Thanks gents....yeah I'm pretty much here alright. I'm not as time focused as I used to be....but still, I need something to work towards :) I'm gonna aim to get to 10 miles in under 60 mins and then see where I am....that pace would put me on target for 1:18:30ish. In an ideal world I'll be kicking on but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it :)

healy1835 wrote:
    Thanks gents....yeah I'm pretty much here alright. I'm not as time focused as I used to be....but still, I need something to work towards I'm gonna aim to get to 10 miles in under 60 mins and then see where I am....that pace would put me on target for 1:18:30ish. In an ideal world I'll be kicking on but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

That was one thing I meant to mention in my previous post. Limerick isn't the kind of half marathon where you push on. The last three miles it's really a case of if you manage to hold the pace you were running then you're doing very well.

No accounting for the conditions on the day so it's probably best to have multiple plans. I was the same before Charleville figuring out what way I was gonna approach it. On the day the conditions were absolutely ideal so I figured to hell with it I'm going aggressive and if I blow up so what. Limerick is obviously different with it not being flat. My approach in Limerick would be targeting a little slower than target pace for the first couple of miles, ease into it and then kick on in dooradoyle/Raheen. But it all depends on the conditions. A ****e days weather will put an end to all plans of pace.

That was one thing I meant to mention in my previous post. Limerick isn't the kind of half marathon where you push on. The last three miles it's really a case of if you manage to hold the pace you were running then you're doing very well.

No accounting for the conditions on the day so it's probably best to have multiple plans. I was the same before Charleville figuring out what way I was gonna approach it. On the day the conditions were absolutely ideal so I figured to hell with it I'm going aggressive and if I blow up so what. Limerick is obviously different with it not being flat. My approach in Limerick would be targeting a little slower than target pace for the first couple of miles, ease into it and then kick on in dooradoyle/Raheen. But it all depends on the conditions. A ****e days weather will put an end to all plans of pace.

Yeah that thought did occur to me as I wrote that post. Whilst I was on autopilot for the full last year, I do remember the Gaelic Grounds. 58mins for 10 miles it is so ;) but in all seriousness, I'll take those nuggets under advice. I have it on very good authority that the weather will not be an issue :)

Thu:
    2 Daily miles @4:54/km

11k Easy: 54:20 @4:56/km

Fri:
    12.5k Easy: 1:03:46 @5:06/km

Sat:
    10k Buggy: 50ish
    Watch died, went up to collect number for local 10k the next day :)

Sun: 27k Long Run inc Newbridge Hockey Club 10k (37:23)

Plan was to run the race as a HM tempo type effort. Biggest priority was not to get involved in a race of any kind and stray from the plan. My friend is the chairperson of the Hockey Club so that was the main reason I was running this one.....6k w/u, took myself down to start line. I sort of figured it might be a thin enough field with a few lads from the club going up to the GIR in the PP and it panned out that way. Route was tricky enough on a lot of fairly exposed roads around the Curragh, with a couple of hills which were both ascended and descended on the out and back route. Had company until the 5k race turned around and then I was on my todd out into the wind and the 5k about turn. Kept my concentration and allowed the breeze to work in my favour on the way back. Crossed the line in 37:23 and a, ahem, trip to the winners enclosure ;)
    11k after a quick drink and half a banana at the finish line. Felt pretty decent afterwards, a nice way to finish the week.
    109k for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good man J, winning when your at a canter, love it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Congratulations on the win.I am doing ur 4 weeks apart Marathon plan.Be interesting to see how it goes.

• Advertisement

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the win.I am doing ur 4 weeks apart Marathon plan.Be interesting to see how it goes.

No refunds :) the Tiger beers, Guinness and take aways are also vital.....

Advertisement