Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Name to face now! Good to see you earlier.

Hope you warmed up after - unbelievably cold and windy! Great bunch of people around that neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Name to face now! Good to see you earlier.

Hope you warmed up after - unbelievably cold and windy! Great bunch of people around that neck of the woods.

Yeah went back to the car for hat,gloves and jacket before I pottered around for 11k :) nice to meet you as well A....I know the Hockey Club were delighted with the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good man - nice to read that.

Limerick Half Marathon: Week 8 of 10

Mon: 12.5k Easy: 1:00:29 @4:50/km

Tue: 13k Easy: 1:03:02 @4:51/km
    Wasn't feeling this one, throat scratchy and a bit of a headache....omens weren't good.

Wed: Previous nights **** show in the Nou Camp was still clouding my humour and wasnt in any mood to do.....

Session 12x500m off 70secs.

I had a 400's session down in the plan, but my training partner was doing this session, which wasn't a million miles off what I was going to do anyway, so I joined him rather than face a solo session.

Splits: 100,96,95,92,*98,*101
    96,94 93,95,93,91

*GPS waaaay off on these two.

Solid session, moving by the end. Company was great. He's getting back to something near top shape, so we'll hopefully get a good few in together this summer as he's off to Berlin to set me another marker for Dublin :)

Thu: 9 Miles Relaxed: 1:07:21 @4:39/km

The feared dose never came, and this one just arrived with the good weather. One of those days where it seemed easy.

Fri: 8 Miles Easy: 1:01:48 @4:48/km

See Thu :)

Sat: Session 2x2 Mile (11:50, 11:53)

Meant to be 3x2 mile bit didn't get out until nearly 9 o'clock as my lovely wife was not feeling great all day. Probably should have canned it as I was pretty tired leaving the house.....rallied a bit after a warm up and got 2 reps done. Things felt like they were starting to fray a bit towards the end of the second; form, breathing, effort levels......decided that 2 was better than none and did a decent warm down and then home to bed.

Sun: 12k Buggy: 1:00:26 @4:59/km

LR was pushed until Mon, so got this in before a very ropey day on the nutrition front....

91k for the week.

Limerick Half Marathon: Week 9 of 10 :o

Mon: Long Run: 26k Steady: 1:52:29 @4:20/km

F*$k me, I'd almost forgotten what it was like to go long in decent weather. Didn't bring any drink, but thankfully avoided a bonk by finding a euro on the ground coming into Kilcullen. That water saved me from sending up the rescue flare I think......run itself was grand, a little ropey last mile or so, but that was purely self inflicted by today's hydration and yesterday's nutrition. The breeze was cat as well, I don't think I've ever been on a run where a strong breeze has helped me less :( into the run in now.....

Edit: 7:45pm.....big sunburnt gimp on me now as well.

Did an early morning session on Thursday and felt like I was running on empty. Took yesterday off and gonna take today off. Not feeling fantastic, hopefully the rest will do the trick. Better this week then next I suppose. Will hopefully get out tomorrow for an easy 20k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

healy1835 wrote: »
    Did an early morning session on Thursday and felt like I was running on empty. Took yesterday off and gonna take today off. Not feeling fantastic, hopefully the rest will do the trick. Better this week then next I suppose. Will hopefully get out tomorrow for an easy 20k.

Easy does it J - you've put in a hell of a training block, sounds like you're doing the right thing to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Early morning sessions are a b*tch even when you're on top form. But yeah take it handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Are you ok J?

aquinn wrote: »
    Are you ok J?

Thanks A :) eh, not fantastic. Took Fri & Sat off, then had to pull up before the end of LR yesterday. Was grand for about 10miles but energy levels just seemed to tank very quickly. Running partners had to drive back and pick me up :o
    Not sure what it is, took today off work, plenty of vitamin c and electrolytes. Hopefully it'll pass. I'd like to think i AM able to see the bigger picture and that a) it should pass and I'll run Sunday, or worst case scenario b) I don't get to run Sunday. It is frustrating though....

Thanks A :) eh, not fantastic. Took Fri & Sat off, then had to pull up before the end of LR yesterday. Was grand for about 10miles but energy levels just seemed to tank very quickly. Running partners had to drive back and pick me up :o
    Not sure what it is, took today off work, plenty of vitamin c and electrolytes. Hopefully it'll pass. I'd like to think i AM able to see the bigger picture and that a) it should pass and I'll run Sunday, or worst case scenario b) I don't get to run Sunday. It is frustrating though....

Is your heart rate elevated and do you feel like you have a dose?

Rest and decent diet this week. Plenty of fluids. Did the kids have a dose recently and or it is only hitting you now?

• Advertisement

Is your heart rate elevated and do you feel like you have a dose?

Rest and decent diet this week. Plenty of fluids. Did the kids have a dose recently and or it is only hitting you now?

It's more a general type of tiredness, intermittent headaches. I've a few horrendous mouth ulcers which aren't a great sign I know. Have never really ran on HR.......I work with kids so a dose is never far away :)

It's more a general type of tiredness, intermittent headaches. I've a few horrendous mouth ulcers which aren't a great sign I know. Have never really ran on HR.......I work with kids so a dose is never far away :)

My favourite suggestion then it is. Get a tonic! A decent one like Floravital. To me mouth ulcers mean you are run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Pesky kids! My 2 lovelies and their friends/cousins are the culprits of most doses in my gaff. Mouth ulcers are not a great sign. I have a small one which is undoubtedly fatigue/stress. Rest, fluids as aquinn said is all you can do!

My favourite suggestion then it is. Get a tonic! A decent one like Floravital. To me mouth ulcers mean you are run down.

Pharmacy?

Pesky kids! My 2 lovelies and their friends/cousins are the culprits of most doses in my gaff. Mouth ulcers are not a great sign. I have a small one which is undoubtedly fatigue/stress. Rest, fluids as aquinn said is all you can do!

I have one the size of a 5c coin :o hopefully it'll all be alright on the night. You're in great nick Mike, I think you're a bit closer to 3hrs then you think you are. But I understand your caution; get a good marathon under the belt and then go into the next one(DCM?) with confidence.

Pharmacy?

Yes, sold everywhere. Ask at the counter. Keep in the fridge. Take twice daily before food. Unpleasant for some but remember it is very good for you.

I'd be loading up on Vit C too.

What is the likelihood of at least 8 hrs uninterrupted sleep each night this week?

I'd be loading up on Vit C too.

What is the likelihood of at least 8 hrs uninterrupted sleep each night this week?

I've long since given up on that P. I will say that Erin Healy has settled a bit in the last while so my sleep has gotten a little better....but it may be a couple of years before I can add sleep to the Positives Column ;)

healy1835 wrote:
    I've long since given up on that P. I will say that Erin Healy has settled a bit in the last while so my sleep has gotten a little better....but it may be a couple of years before I can add sleep to the Positives Column

Any chance the missus would take over for a few days and you can make up the deficit next week? Haha. I've been good at negotiating that in the past.

Any chance the missus would take over for a few days and you can make up the deficit next week? Haha. I've been good at negotiating that in the past.

It's not even about who gets up at this stage! Last night Mrs Healy was in, but I was woken up and couldn't get back to sleep until the baby had settled :( add to this the fact that, this week of all weeks, we're getting some work done with the fence in the back garden which means the dog has to accompanied out to do her business, as if shes let out by herself she'll do a runner and I'll have an impromptu late night interval session on my hands :) FML......

• Advertisement

Tue: 8 Miles Recovery: 1:09:02 @5:22/km
    On the plains.

Wed: 10k with pooch.

Thu: 10x500 Session. Repeated last weeks session with my partner who was doing it again. Squeezed it in early and just felt pretty wiped for most of it. Decided on a couple of days rest.

Sun: (Almost) 20k Easy: 1:35:38 @4:55/km
    As previously reported, a serious bonk occured and had to be ferried home by a very accommodating running buddy :)

80k for the week.

Limerick Half Marathon: Week 10 of 10 :)

Tue: 6k Easy: 29:13 @4:52/km
    Rested for Sun & Mon. Tonic, Vitamin C, Electrolytes, Food etc.....was encouraged to get out for an easy trot if I felt up to it, which I did.

Wed: 6k: 27:20 @4:32/km
    As yesterday , but working down to a 6min mile to finish. Feeling more positive about Sunday than I have been the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hopefully whatever was bothering you has passed J and it will be Thunderbirds are go come Sunday.

Thu: Session: 2Miles@HMP (11:55) & 4x200m strides. Just under 5 Miles all in all.

It was decided that a little bit of a wake up would be good for the legs. Felt better as the session went on. Lots of reasons to be positive about Sunday's race. Looking forward to it now......

healy1835 wrote:
    It was decided that a little bit of a wake up would be good for the legs. Felt better as the session went on. Lots of reasons to be positive about Sunday's race. Looking forward to it now......

Could I borrow some of your optimism?

Great news tho. Was happy to see it on Strava.

Could I borrow some of your optimism?

Great news tho. Was happy to see it on Strava.

Which leg are you running again? How serious is your team taking it? :)

Good to hear you're doing better. See, amazing tonic.

All the very best.

healy1835 wrote:
    Which leg are you running again? How serious is your team taking it?

Switched to second leg as one of the lads dropped out. Wasn't feeling the best yesterday. All this taper madness going around and a sick house.

Yeah pretty serious. Decent team. They won it a couple of years ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

All the best for Sunday. Hopefully you're over feeling not quite 100% and that you run the race you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race tomorrow. Classic taper-itius going on here ;)

• Advertisement

DNF after 7 miles. Pushed hard but the body said no. Big sigh....

Advertisement