Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Thu: 16.1k: 1:21:01 @5:02/km

Fri: 25k: 2:04:47 @4:59/km

Got this in before heading to Athlone on a stag. Currently trying to figure out just how hungover I am......i brought the runners, but a run is looking unlikely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

healy1835 wrote:
    Got this in before heading to Athlone on a stag. Currently trying to figure out just how hungover I am......i brought the runners, but a run is looking unlikely

5k shakeout. Gwan....

5k shakeout. Gwan....

7 Miles: 54:04 @4:48/km

Best decision I've EVER made :)

Mon: 16.1k: 1:18:35 @4:53/km
    Couple of loops of the plains. Didn't go off the rails too much on the stag, the fact I was in shape to do a few miles Saturday was a bonus. 2 weeks of decent mileage ahead until I'm down in Dingle for another one.

Tue: 13.3k: 1:02:22 @4:40/km
    Bit of heat came as a pleasant enough surprise. Briefly considered just belting out a 5 mile tempo or something, but resisted the urge.....will be chomping at the bit come July.

Wed: 16.1k: 1:13:59 @4:36/km

Bouncing off the road for this one. A nice patch of weather would be appreciated. Been mooching about trying out some new routes lately.....the GPS out in the sticks around here is remarkably good. I am eying the progress of the massive Lidl depot that's been built outside Newbridge....some great road being built there, ripe for some sessions I'm hoping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

healy1835 wrote: »
    Wed: 16.1k: 1:13:59 @4:36/km

Bouncing off the road for this one. A nice patch of weather would be appreciated. Been mooching about trying out some new routes lately.....the GPS out in the sticks around here is remarkably good. I am eying the progress of the massive Lidl depot that's been built outside Newbridge....some great road being built there, ripe for some sessions I'm hoping :)

Nice of them to build a track for you J

Thu: 16.9k: 1:23:03 @4:55/km

Fri: Nowt. Erin Healy has decided that this weekend was the time to get the vomiting but from hell. Mrs Healy1835 away on her sisters hen weekend along with most of my babysitting options :(

Sat: The plus part is that, apart from the inopportune spewing incidents, Erin is actually in great form so we spent the day outside in the garden with the two boys, me eating a lot of ****e, and with a belly full of coke, ice cream and mr Kipling's, I was surprised by my parents who were back from a funeral earlier than expected.
    So I had about an hour or so window to go for a run....so off I went and about a mile in decided that if this was the only run I was prob gonna get in this weekend I might as well do a bit of work, so i turned around and went back to the house and, one AMK shoe change later, I was back out in the Zoom Flys not exactly sure what I was going to do.....
    I've done nothing for about a month, so I said I'd do a 5k tempo or a Fartlek or something...4:23, 4:07....these zoom flys are really bouncing off the road...3:59, 3:58, 4:00.....what am i actually doing here? I'm feeling pretty sensational (no ill effects from the ice cream) and have no intentions of stopping so I decide that I'll do a 5mile tempo....3:54, 3:49, 3:50...32mins or so for the 5miles, sure I'll do 8.....
    at this stage a voice of reason kicks in and asks is it the wisest thing in the world for me to go from weeks of zero intensity to this? and I was naturally sort of winding things up too....decided to back off and leave it at a sub 40 10k...3:56 & 3:57 for 39:55.
    A couple of Kms to cool down, and back home. Last week of easy mileage next week and then DCM block starts proper on Monday week. Glad I got that run in as looking at a few times come in from Dunshaughlin made me very antsy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

i turned around and went back to the house and, one AMK shoe change later,

:pac::pac::pac:

9Miles: 1:10:51 @4:51/km
    My lovely wife returned and promptly sent me with Ben Healy to a birthday party I didn't know (or maybe forgot) he was invited to. This did give me the chance to get in some rainy industrial estate miles which were very welcome today.

Weekly Total: 92k...I'll be running a lot further over the next 4 months, but that total this week is one I'm proud of! Eked out every last meter I could out of the week.

Mon: 18k: 1:26:23 @4:48/km
    Had to pick up car from garage in Naas so ran over from the Curragh after work. Roadworks outside Newbridge and Naas meant I had to go the back roads via Two Mile House....never again. Not a great road to drive on, worse to run on. Lots of dodgy bends....but made it in one piece :)

Tue: AM 7.5k: 36:43 @4:52/km
    PM 8.6k: 41:32 @4:48/km

Pair of commutes.

Wed: AM 10.3k: 52:30 @5:05/km
    Fair play to Shotgun for some of his early morning sessions. Was out before 6am and while I don't mind running that early, I'm not so sure about any quality at that hour. Whatever about a LR and working your way into it, sessions would be difficult for me i reckon. Tentative plan for the summer will be to get out early doors 2/3 times a week so log some easy miles as part of some doubles.
    Will get miles in this week, LR on Saturday, Kildare game and a few pints, Recovery run Sunday. Start training Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dawn sessions can be grim during the winter on manky mornings but stealing a good one done on a crisp calm chilly morning before breakfast is very satisfying. Just a habit while the kids are small. Plus they ask brilliant questions like... were you sweating on your run cause sweaty hugs are oow? did you run to Dublin? can we have some of your shake? do you need to do a poo now? :D

Wed: PM: 11.7k: 57:09 @4:53/km

Thu: AM: 7.5k: 37:00 @4:56/km
    PM: 10k: 48:55 @4:53/km

Fri: 7.5k: 33:32 @4:28/km

Holidays :)

Sat: 25k: 2:04:21 @4:58/km

Out early with a buddy, and despite the downpour and thunderstorms, was an enjoyable trot. Easy stuff is at an end, will have logged close to 470k during June. Definitely needed the break in intensity, feeling ready to go again now. Will have a stag and 3 weddings to negotiate in the next 5 weeks, but they've been factored in. Will be knocking alcohol on the head after the Aug bank holiday. Plan is to peak for DCM (obviously!) as looking back at last year, I maybe peaked a little early around the time of the Race Series Half.

Looking forward to getting back into it again. Limerick Half aside, I've achieved what I wanted to achieve in the first half of the year, now the Main Thing is back on the agenda. Race series 10k is in 3 weeks apparently :o, not a dicky bird of an idea do I have about that, will see how the first couple of weeks go and take it from there.

First things first though, a BBQ, a few beers and a stroll up to St Conleths Park this evening :)

Yourself and swashbuckler are turning into early birds lol

Sun: 13.3k: 1:03:46 @4:48/km
    Had a few too many after the game and was suffering big time for this one....got through it though.

Dublin 2019: Week 1 of 16

Mon: 16.1k: 1:15:17 @4:41/km
    Whilst i suspect I may not be especially fast at the moment, i do feel particularly fit. The miles flew by today.

5Mile tempo on Wed and a 30k LR on Friday are highlights of Week 1. Down to Dingle for 3 nights on a stag on Friday :o hoping to get a run in on Saturday to try and limit the damage.

Plan is to go a little by feel as regards the paces the next few weeks, keep things controlled and trying not to over extend. 'We're still 16 weeks out...' im happy to go with this. As always im gonna race the warm up races, but this time around i mean it when i say im not putting any pressure on myself in them (just as well for the 10k id say ;) ) Plan at the moment takes me up to Frank Duffy and well take stock again at that stage.

Marathon training again, yeah!

Tue: 16.1k Relaxed: 1:14:37 @4:38/km

Wed: Session: 5 Mile Tempo: 31:06 @3:52/km

Order of the day was somehwere between 6:10 & 6:25 miling, depending on how I felt.....which was pretty decent. Managed to resist the urge to wind up a couple of miles from home. We also managed to pick a route that was almost entirely into the wind which made things a little more interesting. Training partner is looking in good nick for Berlin, where he's pretty keen to set me a nice target :)

10 miles in total. Recovery tomorrow, LR Friday.......

Been away from these here parts for a few days :) Stag party behind me, was relatively disciplined....well as disciplined as one could be on a 3 day jaunt to Dingle; stuck to bottles, plenty of diaoralytes, nothing too crazy on the food front. Still feeling the affects now, but plan hasn't been derailed or anything. Anyway.....

Thu: AM: 6.5k w/pooch: 37mins @5:47/km
    PM: 10k Easy: 49:36 @4:57/km

Fri: 30k Relaxed: 2:22:42 @4:45/km
    Got this in before driving down south. Partner dropped out at the last minute so was a bit of a struggle mentally for the first few miles but once i got into a rhythym i wad fine. Took a Maurten gel which did not agree with the stomach at all.....i did have some golden syrup on my porridge that morning as we'd run out of honey, so i won't rule them out just yet.

Sat: 13.8k Easy: 1:11:34 @5:11/km
    Mooched around Dingle, stopped mid way for an ice cream (Murphys brown bread ice cream, pretty amazing). Proud of this one!

Sun: 5k: 25ish @5ish/km
    Run to shops for a Sunday paper and more beer.....

Mon: 12k: 1:00:00 @5:00/km
    Tried to get in ahead of the heebie geebies by getting this run in....failed. tough going but i knew that it would make the rest of the week easier.

Tue: nowt.....bedtime ran late, was after 9pm and a run just wasnt happening.

Wed: 6 Mile Tempo: 37:41 @3:54/km

6:17, 6:32, 6:16, 6:16, 6:08, 6:11

Didn't feel like doing this. Didn't want to do it......but knew i HAD to do it. Thankfully my training partner shamed me into getting out and then dragged a decent effort out of me. New man now :) I'll run a lot faster tempos this block, but maybe not a more intimidating one.

18k all in.

healy1835 wrote:
    Sat: 13.8k Easy: 1:11:34 @5:11/km Mooched around Dingle, stopped mid way for an ice cream (Murphys brown bread ice cream, pretty amazing). Proud of this one!

One of the best ice creams I've had. No trip to dingle is complete without a visit to Murphys.

A reluctant <38min 6m tempo with beer and icecream in your veins... sheesh ... #somedaymaybe

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

A reluctant <38min 6m tempo with beer and icecream in your veins... sheesh ... #somedaymaybe

Either that or he has cracked this nutrition thing once and for all :D

Wed PM: 9.1k Recovery: 48:46 @5:21/km

Jog around the damp plains. Felt good after earlier session.

Race series numbers came in the post this morning....looking forward to Frank Duffy and the Half. Less so the 10k next Sunday :o

• Advertisement

Thu: 15k Easy: 1:13:59 @4:56/km
    Got out late for this one, legs felt decent enough after yesterday. Some of the new pathways around the Lidl distribution centre are open......exciting times :)

Fri: Session 12x400+m Hills
    Went down to Monasterevin for this one, Moore Abbey woods. It's a trail route and would be slightly on the hairy side (for ACL paranoid folks like me anway) with roots etc, but it's a great hill. About 200m of steep enough ascent and then about 200m more of a gradual climb. GPS coverage wasn't a runner so just used the watch as a stopwatch really. All the reps were within a 10sec window of each other, 1:55-2:05.

Aim was for a decent, controlled & even effort and I pretty much stuck to that. Once or twice my buddy dropped the hammer and I was able to go with him pretty comfortably. Never felt stronger on a hill session. Guts of 400m climbing all in all :o new territory for one of my hill sessions (Braveheart Hill 12x500m would have about 200m).
    Just a smidge under 10 miles for the session.

Sat: 30k Easy: 2:33:00 @5:06/km

High afternoon when i went out on this one....an amalgam of the plains and some back roads around Kildare town. 3 of us were out on this one, regular training partner and another chap who had ran 3:09 in Seville and is just getting going for DCM. They called it a day at 24k & 26k respectively , but the gentle pace meant i was still full of running so finished out the 30k. Took on 500ml of water mid way and had a pretty sensational can of coke afterwards :)

Wasn't exactly the plan to go session wed/fri and LR sat, but sunday wasn't an option this week for a LR, so i did the 2 prescribed sessions and just eased back on the LR today to err on the side of safety. 100k for the week with Tuesday off. Will get in some recovery tomorrow night all things going well.

Sun: 5 Miles Recovery: 30:01 @4:59/km

Did it early with Erin in the buggy before heading into town for the festival in Merrion Square. Stopped off in PP on the way home for a ramble with the kids. Great day. Tired by the end though.

108k for the week (one unplanned rest day)

Mon: Nowt. Bit of a tummy bug in the Healy house which my wife and one of the boys picked up. Couldn't really get out, but the tummy was feeling a bit ropey anyway, so better safe than sorry. My LR will be next Mon as i've the race series 10k on Sun, so I'll just treat it as a normal week Tue-Mon instead of Mon-Sun.

Tue: AM: well actually PM (1) :) 10.2k: 50:16 @4:56/km
    PM: 11.2k: 56:03 @5:01/km

Wed: Session 6x1 mile off 2 mins: Target 6:00-5:50/mile

The plan is to increase intensity of the sessions gradually. I definitely feel like I peaked a little early last year and don't want to go too hard too soon in these sessions. Did it on the tempo loop up in the Camp and managed to churn out

5:49, 5:47, 5:47, 5:49, 5:47, 5:48

Recoveries were generous to be fair, but things felt very controlled. Partner was banging out 5:40's and i could have went with him.......but that wasn't the plan.

10 Miles in total for the day.

Will keep the mileage decent for the rest of the week. As regards the 10k on Sunday, i don't have any real target in mind. I saw Luke refer to it as a rust buster on his log and i'd be approaching it the same. Limerick DNF aside, i haven't raced since the 35:11 in the K Club in March. That obviously isn't under threat but i just need a race to sharpen up. This time last year under similar circumstances i ran a 63:30ish in Mullingar 10 Mile and then knocked 3 minutes off that a month later at the Frank Duffy. I'd be fairly confident of making similar improvements this year, so just focusing on getting a race effort in.

Thu: AM: 5.6k w/pooch @5:34/km
    PM: 11.6k: 57:06 @4:51/km

Fri: 10Miles Easy: 1:17:58 @4:50/km
    Bouncing off the road. Felt like i was running 5:30's :)

Sat: 5.3k inc x5 strides: 25:41 @4:51/km

Sun: South Dublin 10k: 36:42 @3:39/km

Got to Grange Castle and the queue of cars was horrendous so we veered off to right and parked in the car park of the Swallows. Shorter warm up than planned but still adequate. Decided on running no slower than 3:42 kms and see how that felt. Met AMK on the start line and was introduced to Luke too. That was as far as meeting Boardsies got as i had to head for home pretty sharpish after the race.

Got going (eventually ;) ) and settled into a fairly nice pace quickly. AMK and my own training partner were up the road a bit and i thought about going with them from the off, but i had a plan and i was sticking to it. 3:40, 3:38, 3:37 for the first 3k into Corkagh park.

AMK and my buddy were coming back to me now and as we moved through the park I was only about 5meters back. Just got back up to my mate as we left the park. Checked in, he was in decent nick. Was still a meter or 2 behind AMK at this stage, but just before the turn off for the village as i was about to check in he took a detour to the side and wasn't in great shape :( fair balls to him for getting back out and finishing with a decent effort. Into the village now and my pal comments on how easy im breathing. Hadn't really noticed but yeah, i wasn't exactly digging deep. Up the canal 3:39, 3:39, 3:40, 3:40.

Had been in a group of about 7/8 at this stage, but i knew the canal would be toughest stretch of the morning. Buddy tells me to kick on as he's not feeling great. The group we were in are starting to slow a little at this time as well so i just told him to tuck in behind me and i took things on myself. 3:41, 3:42 along the canal, but passed a good few here. As we went through the village one of the stewards shouted to someone up ahead that they were in 50th, i finished 38th so we made a good few places up here i reckon. Nice little sharp climb off the canal and my buddy, galvanised no doubt by getting a free ride on the canal ;), kicks on and comes in about 5secs in front. 3:36 for last km.

Really happy with that. Effort was spot on, could i have gone faster? No doubt about it, didn't rinse myself by any description, but today wasn't about running a fast 10k, it was about getting a race effort in and waking up the system. I feel like a tank at the moment and the speed is coming back nicely. Everything going to plan thus far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Thu: AM: 5.6k w/pooch @5:34/km
    PM: 11.6k: 57:06 @4:51/km

Fri: 10Miles Easy: 1:17:58 @4:50/km
    Bouncing off the road. Felt like i was running 5:30's :)

Sat: 5.3k inc x5 strides: 25:41 @4:51/km

Sun: South Dublin 10k: 36:42 @3:39/km

Got to Grange Castle and the queue of cars was horrendous so we veered off to right and parked in the car park of the Swallows. Shorter warm up than planned but still adequate. Decided on running no slower than 3:42 kms and see how that felt. Met AMK on the start line and was introduced to Luke too. That was as far as meeting Boardsies got as i had to head for home pretty sharpish after the race.

Got going (eventually ;) ) and settled into a fairly nice pace quickly. AMK and my own training partner were up the road a bit and i thought about going with them from the off, but i had a plan and i was sticking to it. 3:40, 3:38, 3:37 for the first 3k into Corkagh park.

AMK and my buddy were coming back to me now and as we moved through the park I was only about 5meters back. Just got back up to my mate as we left the park. Checked in, he was in decent nick. Was still a meter or 2 behind AMK at this stage, but just before the turn off for the village as i was about to check in he took a detour to the side and wasn't in great shape :( fair balls to him for getting back out and finishing with a decent effort. Into the village now and my pal comments on how easy im breathing. Hadn't really noticed but yeah, i wasn't exactly digging deep. Up the canal 3:39, 3:39, 3:40, 3:40.

Had been in a group of about 7/8 at this stage, but i knew the canal would be toughest stretch of the morning. Buddy tells me to kick on as he's not feeling great. The group we were in are starting to slow a little at this time as well so i just told him to tuck in behind me and i took things on myself. 3:41, 3:42 along the canal, but passed a good few here. As we went through the village one of the stewards shouted to someone uo ahead that they were in 50th, i finished 38th so we made a good few places up here i reckon. Nice little sharp climb off the canal and my buddy, galvanised no doubt by getting a free ride on the canal ;), kicks on and comes in about 5secs in front. 3:36 for last km.

Really happy with that. Effort was spot on, could i have gone faster? No doubt about it, didn't rinse myself by any description, but today wasn't about running a fast 10k, it was about getting a race effort in and waking up the system. I feel like a tank at the moment and the speed is coming back nicely. Everything going to plan thus far :)

Looks like I didn't need to write a race report could have just copied and pasted yours, sounds like we had very similar races. Great consistency man and nice on to get under your belt.

Good to meet you today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Nice one well done. Solid preformance

That's a decent days work man. Plenty left in the tank by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done J, shouted at you before the start but you were in the zone. Great result!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done J, shouted at you before the start but you were in the zone. Great result!!

****e! Next time pal :) congrats on the PB

• Advertisement

Mon: 30k Relaxed: 2:18:55 @4:38/km

Planned 32k, but was a bit later starting and had to collect the 2 boys from an athletics summer camp in the club so had to cut a couple of km. Legs showed no ill effects from yesterday's exertions, very warm though and was definitely a little dehydrated by the end.

122k for the week.

Entering the 3 weddings in a week period now; Fri, Mon, Fri. Have to juggle things a bit, but things should not get derailed too badly :)

Advertisement