Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Sun: recovery 8k with pooch: 45ish minutes :)

First run with the dog in a while as she, like her beloved owner, has now had ACL surgery. She did well and my legs showed no ill effects from yesterday's 32k.

Weekly Total: 96k

Have 34k to do next Saturday, but I'm off to the Bisping-Henderson fight in Manchester. Flight at 10 so will be at Hotel by 12 id say. The fights start about midnight and main event about 5am (stupid US Pay per view) So I've two options (Friday and Sunday aren't a runner)
    a) Get up and do run at home 4 am ish, it'll be dark and I'll have to run loops around the town, which I hate. But will be able to put the head down for a few hours in Manchester when I get there.

b) do the run in Manchester....whilst ive been there for matches in the past and know the city quite well, the thoughts of running 34k there have never really entered my head...also i'd maybe only get 2 hours sleep before heading out for the night.

First world problems eh?

Mon: Easy 14k: 1:13:10 @5:14/km
    Another trot down the Clontarf sea front out to Bull Island and even got a couple of km in on the beach.....I'm enjoying these while I can, only a couple left.

Tue: Steady 14k: 1:09:37 @4:58/km
    Went a little steadier today for no particular reason, effort felt pretty easy. This would have been close to my goal MP last year (which I didn't achieve) but this felt easy compared to this time last year.

I've decided to do my 34k early Sat morning and get a sleep in over in Manchester.....may root out the fluorescent gear so :)

Wed: Session: 3k / 5x2k @4:00/km / 3k
    Splits: 7:53, 8:01, 8:01, 8:03, 8:02

Well definitely went out too fast with the first. Wasnt exactly paying for it at the end but I usually leave a fast repeat at the end and that wasn't really happening today. Also left calf was pretty tight towards the end and afterwards so I didn't push it. Will have it seen to tonight :)

14k tomorrow, 10k easy on Friday and 34k on Saturday and then taper. I'm good to go now if I'm honest. I feel in great shape and I'm starting to get paranoid about getting injured between now and Oct 30th. Like really paranoid..... :o

Thurs: Easy 12k: 1:06:01 @5:30/km
    Did it on grass after previous days niggle. Nothing to report....as with
    Fri: Easy 10k: 52:31 @ 5:15/km
    Sat: Long Run: 34k: 2:59:15 @ 5:16/km
    Up at 3....check.
    Out the door 3:40....check.
    Progression Run.....negative.
    Get body to run 34k at this ungodly hour and finish in one piece.....check.
    I was so zoned out I remember very little of the run. Four 8.5km loops of Newbridge, done and dusted. Won't be doing it again in a hurry though :)
    100k for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jazus you're either completely nuts or extraordinarily dedicated.

Well done on getting that done.

3.40am ffs!!!!

TbL

• Advertisement

Jazus you're either completely nuts or extraordinarily dedicated.

Well done on getting that done.

3.40am ffs!!!!

TbL
    Extraordinarily something alright ;) a couple of pints watching rugby here in Manchester and then a few hours sleep.....hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1 to the dedication, that puts my 7am jaunt with FBOT in the ha'penny place.

All the best with the run-in. I'd be taking some of those easy runs even easier, but you're looking in good shape.

Week to date: Catching up on sleep (not helped by a pair of sick boyos in the house.....)
    In other news.....
    Mon: Recovery 8k: fairly gentle.....no watch. Felt tired but more mental than anything else
    Tuesday: Easy 10k: 51:12 @ 5:07/km
    Wasn't meant to be at such a clip but only had a little window and wanted to clear the system after the weekend.....
    Wednesday: Easy 14k: 1:13:02 @ 5:13/km
    Last 14k of my plan......not a lot of note left.....Hill session tomorrow, 10k race Sunday and a 20k MLR next Wednesday......

Thursday: Hill session 10x300m w 2k w/u & c/d.
    No watch for this one, enjoyed the session, was going at maybe 80% on the uphills. Braveheart is the place to be in a windy,sun showery evening ;)
    Friday & Saturday: Easy 8k & 6k @ 5:16ish for both if I remember ( Garmin memory almost full, so had to delete some runs quickly).....
    Sunday: Race 10k Carlow Rugby Club
    On the road for just after 10, race at 12 so I got a Sunday Times and planned to get down early to register and read the Sports supplement beforehand....somehow forgot to have breakfast, I never do this, so ended up getting a Danish in some garage on way down. Arrive in at 11 to the worst possible scene you could imagine....a **** load of runners at the start line. So yeah, got the time wrong....dumped car, legged it in past some amused runners.....hearing the race go off as I'm at the desk getting my number, frantically pin it on as I'm going through the hall, out the door, through the start, called back by the organisers.....there's a 5k race(or possibly a 2k fun run) never found out which, waiting to go so they thought I was jumping the gun! Explained to them that I was in the 10k race....thankfully it was an out and back so I wouldn't get lost and off I went sans water, pre match dump, warm up, stretching or having read the Sunday Times, but with a danish sitting rather precariously in my tummy. Realise I better turn the watch on.....it was on my wrist, first positive in a while. Of course the GPS doesn't kick in until the 2k marker...when it does I remember that my plan for the race was to ease into it, 2 @4:20, 2@ 4:15 1@4:10 and then have a good rattle at the rest of it. That first 2k split is probably out the window at this stage, but I throw in a couple of 4:15/kms and then GPS goes on the fritz a little....I definitely wasn't running at 3:21/km pace for the 6th km ;) ....so knocked off the watch and ran the rest by effort.
    Route was out and back with a stretch along a main road which was an effort into a strong wind but the rest was on OK-ish country road fare. Gave the last 3k a right rattle, caught and passed a fair % of the 10k field and finished with.....
    Time: 40:53 (37sec PB)

Not sure what to think about that.....plan was to run around 42 mins and not go mad, but apart from the probably the first 2km it was controlled enough. I definitely didn't feel like I was putting in the same effort as the 41:30 from a few weeks back in Moone. Should I have ran at all after the shenanigans at the start is probably a more pertinent question to ask myself but I felt fine despite no warm up etc and got a good stretch and warm down in afterwards.

The main reason I chose this race instead of the 10k in Graigue in KK was the start time of 11am so I'd be back in good for the county final (Up the Sash!!) So how I managed to mess that up I'll never know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hi H,

You're going well. Have you settled on a target time for the DCM yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Ha, I had a very similar experience at my last 10k. Hearing the gun go off while you're still fiddling around with safety pins is very disconcerting, but it's probably as good as any warm-up in terms of getting the adrenaline going!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Hi H,

You're going well. Have you settled on a target time for the DCM yet?

Sub 3:20.......what you think? :)

I think somewhere between 3:14-3:19 looks doable, so I'd say sub 3:20 should be no bother to you. I'd still suggest go with the 3:20 pacers though, until halfway at least. Evaluate how you're going then and if feeling strong you can push on a bit.

Best of luck.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I think somewhere between 3:14-3:19 looks doable, so I'd say sub 3:20 should be no bother to you. I'd still suggest go with the 3:20 pacers though, until halfway at least. Evaluate how you're going then and if feeling strong you can push on a bit.

Best of luck.
    Yeah that's definitely the plan alright. Hadn't ran with pacers before the HM but will definitely run with the group next week. Amongst other things, one of the reasons for my poor finish last year was the fact I ran the long straight towards Kimmage into headwind on my own and that took a lot out of me on the day....I'm a different animal this year though :) not taking any notice of calculator times, anything from 3:20 down would be at least 20mins down on last year and something I'd be delighted with. You're one of the 3:40(?) pacers right?

Mon: 6k Easy: 31:24 @5:14/km Quick little run from Marino out past Parnell Pk and back. Switched it with Tuesday's 8k to make sure I got back to Newbridge for the United game.....Nothing of note to report from either.

Tue: 8k Easy: 41:28 @5:11/km The best before date on the milk carton this morning was for after the Marathon....I used to keep an eye out for these things when I was patiently waiting for Dec 26th to appear on them..... :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    You're one of the 3:40(?) pacers right?

Yeah. Hopefully won't see you until long after the race..... :D

Wed: Relaxed 20k: 1:43:05 @ 5:09/km
    Well that brings the main stuff of this training block to a close......bouncing around this evening, had to try hard not to go quicker. All is good (touch wood).

Thur: Easy 6k: 33:12 @5:32/km
    Sat: 2 x 2m @ slightly slower than 10k pace, 3 min jogging recovery, 2k w/u & 2k c/d
    2m splits: 13:21 & 13:13
    Sun: Very Easy 5k with the pooch

You'd be hoping this weather would hang around for another 7 days...... :)
    Weekly Total: 55k

Mon: Easy 8k: 41:24 @ 5:11/km
    Ended up in the city a little earlier than expected so I parked just off Roebuck Road and went for a gander around those parts. I had vagueish memories of that stretch last year, not bad necessarily, but seeing as it was in the last 10k, it probably wasn't great either! I ran down to the end of the road and then went back up, got to the top and I'm thinking 'Jesus, this is actually a bit of a killer...' and then I realise that I didn't turn left onto Fosters Ave and instead went through the crossroads and up past Mt Anville! Now that route WOULD be interesting....anyway, went back down and up again, just getting my bearings and then up to the pedestrian bridge on the Stillorgan bypass and back to the car....safe in the knowledge that I have at least 5 hills on my LR route that are way tougher.

Tue: Easy 6k: 31:31 @ 5:15/km
    Whatever constitutes the human body's equivalent of the handbrake I had it on for this run. That pace felt really slow...hopefully that's a good sign.

So here's where I am right now vs last years debut: 2016 vs 2015

10k: 40:53 vs 44:27
    10m: 73:25 vs 83:44 (with a 67:48 first 10m split in the HM)
    HM: 1:29:52 vs 1:37:35
    Total mileage :) 1400+km vs 789km
    Long Runs: 6 30k+ runs vs 2 30k+ runs

It's only my 2nd marathon so I'm realistic enough to realise that there are so many variables that may or may not come in to play on the day, and I'm not going to be a slave to my goals, if they're not on, they're not on.....but I feel like I'm in the shape to give 3:20 a good rattle. If the body holds up (I have had a couple of irregular calf and/or hamstring issues over the last couple of years but these have been very few and far between (touch wood). Plan is to go with the pacers and see how the body is feeling at halfway, maybe push on if i'm feeling particularly strong, or stay with them to 20 miles and assess again.....
    Whatever happens, I'm happy with how my training and plan has gone, and I can't wait until Sunday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Well that's the end of my training for DCM.....finished with a run from RDS to the finishing line and back before I went into the expo. Everything is good to go....best of luck to everyone running on Sunday and thanks for the encouragement and advice on here. J....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck and enjoy it.

You've put in the hard work

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck tomorrow, hope it all goes to plan, have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a good one tomorrow, I think you're in great shape to hit your target!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow J, have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Best of luck tomorrow, have been following your log for a few months and there has been some good training going on

Best of luck tomorrow,
    Looking good for the target.
    Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1 All the best!

3:19:07......job done. Happy. Report tomorrow. Beer now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB, well done

Advertisement