Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Flying it Johnny - thats an amazing run - dont sell yourself short on the Big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Flying it Johnny - thats an amazing run - dont sell yourself short on the Big day.

Thanks A, fitness seems to have built nicely. Feel like I'm peaking at the right time, which wasn't the case last year. By selling myself short are you talking about going too hard before the race or with targets on the day? :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    Thanks A, fitness seems to have built nicely. Feel like I'm peaking at the right time, which wasn't the case last year. By selling myself short are you talking about going too hard before the race or with targets on the day? :)

Targets on the day!

Targets on the day!

Oh to be brave.........

Oh to be brave.........

Just think of the race report as you dramatically blow up...................

(still never got me race report of the year :p)

• Advertisement

Sun: 17k Recovery: 1:24:23 @4:58/km

Just over 90k for the week, which I would have taken at the start of the week :)

DCM Week 15 of 16

Mon: Rest

Tue: AM: 7.4k: 36:14 @4:54/km
    PM: 6.1k: 29:15 @4:45/km

Pair of commutes.

Wed:
    MLR 24k: 1:49:15 @4:33/km

I always look forward to the MLR 10 days out from the big day which has become a staple of my marathon blocks. Nipped off work a little early and got this in early afternoon. Aside from a little chafing after i forgot to put on some body glide, everything felt on point. Effort levels were pretty easy for the pace. Once or twice the pace started to quicken naturally, so i had to check myself on occasion. Took on a gel, a little lucozade sport, high five zero and half a banana......just to see how they all got along together in my digestive system, and they got along just fine.

Just have to lock down race plan now. Have a fair idea how I want to run, but will have a chat with the man in charge and see what he reckons. Small session at the weekend and a very light session next Wednesday will see me through to the big day. Looking forward to just getting on the start line now.

Thu: Rest

Fri: 10k Easy: 47:17 @4:43/km

Sat: 10.2k Easy: 48:36 @4:47/km

Saturated after this one....feet aren't in the may west condition as regards hard skin and toenails and this is only exacerbated in wet conditions :( may make a trip to a Chiropadist after DCM or something

Sun: Session 2 x 2 Mile @11:45

Nipped up to the regular loop in the Camp to do this Sunday morning. 2 miles w/u and then 11:51 & 11:40 reps off 5 mins rest and a 2 mile c/d. Felt great on a beautiful morning. Did a 3 x 2 mile session about 5 weeks ago with 11:27, 11:17, 11:23 splits, so this really felt comfortable.

Just over 70k for the week.

DCM RACE WEEEEEEK!!

Mon: 5 Miles Easy: 39:41 @4:55/km

Was gonna rest but the day was so gorgeous that I nipped out for a little 5 miler. Will rest today instead.

Little session tomorrow, and then some light running for the rest of the week. Have all my ducks in a row for Sunday now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just dropping in to wish you well J. You're all over this one. Bring it home!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just dropping in to wish you well J. You're all over this one. Bring it home!

Good man Sean. DFIU is what you're telling me basically? ;) just on way back from Expo, the hat is a little too sky blue for my liking ;)

Good man Sean. DFIU is what you're telling me basically? ;) just on way back from Expo, the hat is a little too sky blue for my liking ;)

Haha...it basically is! And I won't be the last to tell you. ;-)

That hat sounds perfect. I'll rob one in McGrattans tomorrow amidst the general drunkenness!

• Advertisement

You're in great shape, the running Gods are smiling on you this year with the weather.
    If I see you running with Scullion & Mick C at the Park, then you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Looking forward to seeing how you go tomorrow. DFIU!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Best of luck J, not that you'll need any luck with the training you've put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck J!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

The best of luck tomorrow J, be brave!
    You should be back in Newbridge in time for the replay throw in:)

jake1970 wrote: »
    The best of luck tomorrow J, be brave!
    You should be back in Newbridge in time for the replay throw in:)

If only L :) Might be a bit reckless to try and get back....will aim for 2nd half hopefully :) or maybe KFM, we'll see ;) up the Sash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cracking run well done today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Unreal man. Well done. Fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Superb.Big congratulations.

• Advertisement

Dublin Marathon Race Report

Pre Race:
    Got up to the Expo on Fri afternoon, painless enough and picked up a pair of Ronhill split shorts which I actually ended up wearing in the marathon :o I know, I know...nothing new on race day, but I already had a pair of the same shorts so it wasn't really a risk, and was worth it for the storage (think Singer & Kerrylad were wearing the same shorts based, in part, on my recommendation).

As regards my race targets, I was actually relaxed enough. Last years race was fresh in my mind and I really wanted to finish the race strong this time, as opposed to the grind of my last 5 miles in 2018. The advice from the man in charge was basically just relax, run solid and there will be a big PB at the end. I'd like to think that I'm in or very close to sub 2:50 shape, but i had made up my mind that Dublin wasn't the place to go chasing that. I did out a pace band for 2:53 with a 1:27/1:26 split, just for a bit of reference, but nothing more. I think I only ended up looking at it about 4/5 times during the whole race.

Got up to town for about 7, one of my mates who I was running with parked in his workplace and we got ready in there. Had the pleasure of Duanington's company for a while before we left for the bag drop, I was pretty antsy at this stage and not exactly brimming with confidence. Walked down to Merrion Square, getting in some vital tunes that have made it on to maybe the most random pre race playlist you've ever seen, only to find the baggage drop wasn't actually open and a huge queue/throng had formed with no information being available. Wasn't quite panicking as I knew we had the use of an office beside the bag drop on Merrion Square, but it was less than ideal.

Fast forward 40 mins and we're at the start with about 5 minutes to spare. Ended up hopping fence into the Elite area and just brazening it out :) plan was to run with 2 mates, one coming off a 2:56 PB in Berlin and who fancied his chances of backing it up again, and another who was making his marathon debut but had ran a 1:19 half in the build up. The latter ended up running his own race and had a great result.

So off we went, plan was for no faster than 4:08 km's until the Liffey and then settle into 4:10's or even a bit slower until we were out of Castleknock. Just like last year I reckon the GPS signal was dodgy over the first couple of km as the pace was all over the shop despite me running very controlled. I'll go by watch splits in my report but also mention the official timing splits. Tossed a pair of gloves before the first water station and popped half a Zero tablet into the first bottle.

Km's 1-5 (4:05, 4:11, 4:03, 4:07, 4:13) 20:39.
    Feeling pretty ok, nothing of note pops into my mind about the first 5k.

Into the park and conscious of trying to tag in behind some bodies and not get isolated. Still running with my buddy and we're moving grand, but quite conservatively. Took on my first gel at 5 miles, SiS iso gel apple I think. Effort levels were definitely what they should be at 10k into a marathon, but was looking forward to getting through Castleknock and onto the downhill.

Km's 6-10 (4:09, 4:12, 4:13, 4:08, 4:12) 20:54

Official 10k Split: 41:54 (Garmin 21secs out)

This split was maybe about 20secs slower than planned, but I was pretty casual about it. Crowds and band amazing in Castleknock as usual, and chats with my pal going down Tower Rd were all about concentration and just trying to keep disciplined. Back into the park and the always welcome Glen rd. Had a chuckle to myself that I was about to try and run down the road about 10secs a km slower than I ran up it in the HM ;) started to make a few seconds back but didn't push things much, just letting the favourable gradient work in my favour. Another half Zero tablet at 15k ish.

Km's 11-15 (4:13, 4:09, 4:06, 4:05, 4:08) 20:41

Upper Glen was actually km 16 (3:57). Through Inchicore and Kikmainham and still feeling ok. I did however, get a little spooked at around 18/19k I think it was, when a supporter shouts out 'Sub 3 lads, ye're flying, keep ahead of those balloons!'.....glance around and the balloon did seem pretty close. My buddy who'd been relying on my pace keeping for splits etc, asks is my watch off or is the pacer a bit hot? 'Eh, not sure...' was my reply. I find myself musing 'am I taking things easy so far, or do i just not have it today?' Get through 20k, check splits. I'm about 50 secs over, not exactly ideal, but I knew that might happen and I was pretty relaxed about it. The plan was to negative split, hopefully a decent one, the 1:27ish half way split was just a ball park number to stop me going out too fast. Finishing strong was the centerpiece of the race strategy. The pacer was definitely hot though, checked his splits after and I certainly wouldn't have liked to be relying on him to pace me to a Sub 3. I'd imagine he put paid to a few guys chances who were borderline sub 3 on Sunday.

Kms 16-20 (3:56, 4:14, 4:06, 3:53, 4:03) 20:12
    Not sure about accurate that 3:53k is......

Official 20k Split: 1:23:17 (Garmin 51 secs out)

The halfway split would tell me everything I need to know as regards timing and passing under the arch the clock read 1:27:58 Official split later told me 1:27:33, not sure about that though, as the course clock time would have been consistent with my previous splits. That and the fact that the official split had me running the 1.1k between 20k and Halfway @3:53/km which didn't happen. Anyway, I was left heading up towards Crumlin with a '**** or get off the pot' type of vibe! If you're in the shape you reckon you are, lets show it pal......

My buddy had sort of been drifting off the back on occasion, and once or twice I slowed a little to check in with him. His last appearance in this report comes approaching the Crumlin rd where, out of the blue he gives me a shout from behind, and produces half a banana for me! Taking it, I think we both sort of knew that this was it for us today. He went on to run 2:59 and pop his Irish Sub 3 cherry :) banana on board, there's about a 10m gap to a little group that I need to bridge as we head into the incline and breeze approaching the hospital. The ease with which I was able to up it gave me a little confidence boost but, after my Sub 3 pace balloon related moment of doubt my subsided, I knew I was moving well. Sit in with the group for a while, but they were starting to struggle, so moved on from them and tagged on to a couple of tall guys from Enniskillen AC I think it was, and went with them until we turned off for Walkinstown. My wife and kids were on the course just past the old Submarine bar, so that was a little target for me. It worked out amazingly well actually as I was beginning to push here, probably a little too much, but coming down Walkinstown & Cromwellsfort Roads I was just cruising by people. The feeling of being this strong at this juncture was a new one for me. Pass a large group of about 7/8 at the Dunnes Stores and, by some little quirk, this gives me about 200m of empty road between me and my waiting family :) was able to give them all a big shout on the lead up and grabbed the bottle and 2 gels that my eldest fella, Cian, had waiting for me. Erin's cries of 'DADA.....' as I ran past were deposited in the inspiration bank for later.

Kms 21-25: (4:04, 4:14, 4:09, 4:03, 3:57) 20:27

'Why did you use so much f@^&ing sellotape when sticking the gels to the water bottle!' Is what was going through my mind as I run away from my family and towards the business end of things. I get one gel open and manage to take it despite it still being taped to the bottle! Km beeps at 3:59. Better just cool my jets a little here i think, and try and look at the pace band to remind myself where I had planned to pick pace up. I don't really like the Tereneure/Rathgar section of the course because I usually just find myself worrying about the Milltown/Clonskeagh drags to come, but on Sunday I was eating up road. The only worry I had, and I'm sure everyone reading this had the same worry in their races, was if the body would hold up. Last year Milltown saw my race fall apart a little due to hamsting and calf cramping and there was a little bit of pressure building there. Nothing major, but it was there and I was on constant alert.

Km's 26-30: (3:59, 4:01, 4:07, 4:00, 4:00) 20:07

Official 30k Split: 2:04:02 (Garmin has been accurate with course splits since 20k)

Great support from Newbridge AC in Milltown gave me a nice little boost. I was moving really nicely now, not worried about groups or anyone else, just focused on keeping a nice pace before we get to Clonskeagh. Take my 4th and last gel at 20 miles. A little twinge in my hamstring just past the mosque....'please no, please no' I find myself repeating and it's gone within seconds. I'm still passing lots of people and this is providing me with a lot of energy. I would have liked to see my HR stats as I found myself thinking of how comfortable I was breathing and how controlled things felt. At 35k in a marathon! :o

Km's 31-35: (4:00, 4:03, 4:01, 4:06, 4:10) 20:20

Up h:eartbreak hill and onto Fosters Ave. Right shin is starting to feel a little sore/numb. I don't want to over sell how good I was feeling here either. Whilst things are going well, I still feel like I've ran 23miles and am in the last few km's of a marathon. But I know that a good time is likely if I can hold things together. There's the usual carnage down Nutley lane where within about 10 secs of each other, guys who I was running alongside get a) sick and b)shot by a sniper. A little disconcerting, but eyes are firmly on the prize now. A couple of more little twinges keep me on my toes, but I'm fairly confident the body will be me out at this stage.

Km's 36-40: (4:09, 4:01, 4:04, 4:00, 4:10) 20:14
    The 4:10 looks out to me,pretty certain I didn't slow down by that amount for that km....

Official 40k Split: 2:44:45

I haven't been looking too closely at projected finishing times before now. I know the watch is maybe 300m or so out, but I figure that if I can hold things together I might just dip under 2:54. Noise over the last km is amazing, I see the finishing line and the clock and I know, barring disaster, I'll get 2:53:xx. Enjoy the blue carpet, and float over the line.

Km's 41-42.5: (4:05, 4:08, @4:02 pace for the 500m)

Official Finish Time: 2:53:55

*Edit* Stealing Singer's table here....

Distance|Time|Position
    10k|41:54|549
    20k|01:23:17|530
    Half|01:27:33|522
    30k|02:04:02|428
    40k|02:44:45|352
    Finish|02:53:55|331

So, a PB by over 4 mins, and more importantly, a decent negative split (1:27:58 and 1:25:57 by my reckoning, official half split definitely wrong). Delighted is not the word. I know I could have been more aggressive with my targets, but the confidence that this marathon will give me will be worth way more than maybe a 2:52 positive split where I was going for 2:50 or something. The next marathon will be flatter and more aggressive, don't worry about that ;)

Met up with lots of club mates afterwards at the baggage drop. Some great performances, near misses and detonations all in there :) including a 2:59:57 ;) a couple of pints in O'Donoghoues and then met back up with my other buddy who also ran a 2:53 on his debut, finishing a little up the road from me :) met DD again in Schoolhouse, not his day but he's already had his this year and qualified for London so he wasn't too worried about matters.

Will have a look back over the training block, talk to the man with the plan and see what's next. Haven't decided whether or not to go again in the Spring but will let the dust settle on this for a few days anyway. Thanks as always to all the Boardsies on here who post/thank/read this log, looking forward to reading some of the other race reports. Johnny

Brilliant report J. You nailed it. You really had the game face on Sunday. I gave you a couple of shout outs around the course and the head didn't even turn sideways...total focus.

I loved that beautiful skyblue hat you had on afterwards....way nicer than a lily-white one!

Congrats again. Super PB and I for one am really looking forward to your "aggressive" race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff Johnny, congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Deadly stuff man. Nice to have my strategy for my first marathon laid out in front of me already. Haha. Although with a few mins added to the halfway and end splits.
    Very well executed race. Yep probably more in the tank but you have the right mentality. Risky race is for another time. We'll done man. Great to see the training pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Super stuff Johnny, superbly executed race and a real testament to all the great training in the legs. You were right to be conservative, it’s a real boost for the next one to finish a marathon feeling so strong. Recover well.

@skyblue46 he’s ignorant more like, totally ignored me at the start of the South Dublin 10km earlier in the year also!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Excellent stuff J. Like Swashbuckler I have my race strategy in front of me. You got it spot on. Congrats on a great race. Nice to see a marathon report in metric :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

well done on a brilliantly executed race and congrats on a fantastic PB Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

What a great well run race. Brilliant. At 30k I was position 423 so must have been right beside each other for a while there

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    What a great well run race. Brilliant. At 30k I was position 423 so must have been right beside each other for a while there

Must check the flybys :) fair play, you ran a ballsy race and the Sub 3 was never in doubt......

• Advertisement

What a well executed race. Superb way to run Dublin.

I think your report should be given to all aspiring runners who want to crack Dublin - & by God you cracked it.

Delighted for you that it worked - reading about those hamstring twinges gave me 2nd thoughts about doing a marathon so soon!! (you forget about those things).

Well done, a great result for a great training block.

Advertisement