Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Super run J, perfectly run and you make the very difficult sound easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Thanks for all the above :) Icing on the cake (very apt given my diet this week) was that the M35 team from the club won bronze in the National champs and yours truly was the 3rd scorer :) wonders never cease.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great marathon there J. Brilliant to be able to check the positions afterwards and see the improvement at every stage. Congrats on the 3rd scorer!

Some serious hmmming and hawing going on here as regards what to do next. I'm in the Berlin lottery, but I really want to go in the Spring again. Thinking Manchester, the appeal of getting number posted to my 'UK address', and rocking over there all ready to go is appealing. But then if I get Berlin, that would be 3 blocks back to back. But I trained for a Spring HM last year and and tbh the training wasn't exactly a million miles from marathon based stuff. I don't know......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I dunno J, three blocks back to back wouldn’t appeal to me one bit, but marathons appear to be your thing. If it was me i’d be concentrating on shorter stuff for first 3/4 months of 2020 before going marathon specific again. That 5k PB of yours needs work........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭MY BAD

OOnegative wrote: »
    That 5k PB of yours needs work........
    Gotta love 5ks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Gotta love 5ks

Mellow Yellow 3.11

Mellow Yellow 3.11
    Bookmarks DCM 2020 - Mentored Novices Thread

Did you get in? I have a buddies code. Torn what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

This I would love to see.. hi my name is S, this will be my first marathon. I'm hoping to run 2:49:59

• Advertisement

Did you get in? I have a buddies code. Torn what to do.
    I've entered the lottery I'll see what happens
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    This I would love to see.. hi my name is S, this will be my first marathon. I'm hoping to run 2:49:59
    That would be some debut! I'll leave that one Swashbuckler :D

Sorry for the hijack

That would debut! I'll leave that one Swashbuckler

I havent ran a session since July. At this stage I'll be happy if I make the start line

Swashbuckler and Mellow Yellow, stop this now. Enjoy yereselves until Christmas. Work starts then. Some faster stuff and base building until June, Marathon training then. Looking forward to seeing how ye get on. Let's make Trim 10 Mile in February official and we'll all have a good rattle at sub 60 :)

healy1835 wrote:
    Swashbuckler and Mellow Yellow, stop this now. Enjoy yereselves until Christmas. Work starts then. Some faster stuff and base building until June, Marathon training then. Looking forward to seeing how ye get on. Let's make Trim 10 Mile in February official and we'll all have a good rattle at sub 60

Shur ill be chasing 3.02.29 in march for GFA

In my best Roy Keane voice "All credit to 5k's".....but no. No real interest in doing anything there at this moment in time. Have more or less made up my mind to run Manchester, just have to double check that I don't have a work thing on Apr 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

You will certainly take a chunk of the Dublin Marathon time,if training goes to plan.I did it the last 2 year's.Only hill worth talking about, is around 12m to 13m,if I remember correctly.Mite give it ago myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »
    In my best Roy Keane voice "All credit to 5k's".....but no. No real interest in doing anything there at this moment in time. Have more or less made up my mind to run Manchester, just have to double check that I don't have a work thing on Apr 5th.

I agree with you on the 5k's - my current plan has 5k specific stuff that I despise doing - with a passion. Its also too short. 3 miles and its done! WTF.
    Thank god it has some tempos and longer progressions - I love them.

I love Marathon training in the winter, there's something special about doing a hard workout in the lashing rain.
    Doing 5k stuff in that weather - nah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

What does the man with the plan say J? He’s better placed than anyone to advise what you should target next.

Have been for a few runs since DCM. Taking a couple of down weeks which were non-negotiable :) Body feels fine, but there's no point in doing miles for the sake of it or doing any quicker stuff. I'll be back into it soon enough and I've enjoyed the break from being in a block.

Wed: 5k: 27:38 @5:31/km
    Was away with the family for a couple of days after DCM. Went for a very hilly run in Wicklow, no craic at all!

Thu: 6.5k: 33:50 @5:12/km

Fri: 9k: 44:44 @4:58/km

Spent most of weekend in hospital with the Da. Bit of a scare but he's fine now thank God.

Tue: 10.3k: 51:20 @5:00/km

Wed: 8k: 38:16 @4:47/km

In other news I am IN for Manchester Marathon. I've come out of Dublin in good nick and I reckon that physically and mentally I'm in the shape to go again and I think there's big gains to made by going again in the Spring. Manchester ticks a lot of boxes; it's a lot more accessible than Rotterdam, I can nip over the Sat afternoon and come back the Sunday evening if I so fancy it, the course is decent, weather presents less complications than some other options........but basically after Dublin and how the race went, & more importantly how I felt during the race, I feel like sub 2:50 is there right now and with another good training block will hopefully come even more improvements. No master plan as of yet, but from scanning dates I'd say Trim 10 Miler will be a definite and Carlingford Half a possibility. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

What date is Carlingford.?

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    What date is Carlingford.?

March 7th I think.....Ideally I'd do Bohermeen the next day, but we've Confirmation in the school that Sunday.

Thu: 8.4k: 40:29 @4:49/km
    Found the trail in St Catherine's Park in Leixlip that proved elusive the previous morning. Lovely spot for a run.

Fri: 5 Miles easy on the plains. 39mins-ish. On the plains after school, sans watch.

Sat: 14k: 1:03:34 @4:32/km
    Just letting the body decide naturally when to up distance and speed. Felt great on this one and found myself winding up things naturally towards the end of the run. (GPS all over the place, threw in 3:51 mile in the middle of the run :o ) Hotel & Flights booked for Manchester now. Trim 10 Mile entered too. Might do a shorter race in December but only if it suits. Feeling VERY positive about next year :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    Hotel & Flights booked for Manchester now.

Text me. Sunday night??

Text me. Sunday night??

Jaysus - Boards is quicker then texting him myself!! He text'd me already!! :P

Sun: Rest. Down to Carlow with the 2 boys to see Sarsfields beaten in the Leinster club. Disappointing exit but the the County title is more than enough for this year :)

Mon: Rest. Well I say rest, my plans for a evening trot were scuppered by my lovely wife's plans for me to paint the sitting room!

Tue: AM: 7.5k: 35:14 @4:42/km
    Into work...
    PM: 11k: 48:55 @4:27/km
    Wound it up a bit on the way home. Legs feeling great.

Wed: Rest. See Monday ;)

Thu: 8Miles: 65ish
    Watch had been taken off for previous evenings decorating and subsequently forgotten. Trot around the plains with my training partner, nice debrief after DCM.

Fri: Session: 4x1min on/off, 6mins on/6mins off, 4x1min on/off @5k-ish pace.

First session since DCM. Just ran it on feel and felt pretty strong if I'm honest. First couple of 60 secs 'on' were a little bit of a shock to the system, but settled after that and felt really strong on the 6mins in the middle. Have a vague idea of doing a 5k in the next couple of weeks. We'll see.....
    Paces /km were;

(3:12,3:14,3:15,3:17) 4 x 1min
    (3:18) 6 mins
    (3:13,3:09,3:09,3:16) 4 x 1min

12k in all for the day.

Sat: 4 Miles Easy: 32:29 @5:03/km
    Easy, inc pick up for the last 400m @ 3:52/km

Sun: 20.4k: 1:44:52/km @5:09/km
    Enjoyable saunter across the frozen plains with a couple of buddies. Great chats going on.

70k for the week.

Mon: 10k Easy: 48:45 @4:52/km
    Easy after work.

Tue: 11k Easy: 52:48 @4:48/km
    Easy on the plains. Retired one of my pairs of Epic Reacts after this one, nearly 1000k in them. Great mileage shoe.

Wed: Session: I'm probably now going to do the Jingle Bells 5k as I'm actually about that day and not on the Santa Steam train as I'd thought (it's the previous week). So I'm basically winging it, doing a couple of shorter stuff workouts, chosen at random and will show up and hope for the best :)

I've only ever ran three 5k's before and they've all been varying degrees of meh....maybe someday I'll get an urge to train for one, but I don't think that's coming anytime soon. I know some of my training would suggest that I could potentially do something decent over the distance, but I think you have to really want to do it too. I mean, the prospect of breaking 17 or 16:30 or 16 doesn't get my juices flowing in the way as sub 60 for 10 miles or sub 80 for the Half....but regardless of this, the next 2 weeks will be 5k orientated :)

So after last Friday's 4x1min, 6min 4x1min session, I again trawled the interweb, and came upon a 5k ladder workout, 1600,1200,1000,600,400,200 with recovery jogs of half the distance. Decided I'd run the Mile @my current 5k PB pace (17:34....I know, you don't have to say it Barry!) and then try and wind things up each time.

Session worked out pretty ok in the end, was working bloody hard though :o almost all of the efforts seemed to be into the wind on the loop, and most of the recoveries were downwind, so I really found myself working hard. It's just a different animal to marathon training, and on a pissy November afternoon after a head melting day in work, I was no more in the humour to do it. Paces were as follows;

1600 @3:31
    1200 @3:27
    1000 @3:27
    600 @3:25
    400 @3:15
    200 @3:05

Inc w/u and c/d about 12k for the day.

After the first 1600, I'd decided that I wasn't running the Jingle Bells as this was too much like hard work!...ran my way into the session though and felt pretty strong by the end. Meeting the man in charge for a few pints at the weekend to debrief and figure out a plan of action for Manchester. Looking forward to marathon training again, better than this 5k stuff anyway ;)

Stupid phone won't let me post links but on sportsshoes.com the epic reacts are down to 65 quid

Training still relaxed enough atm. Have done two 5k sessions the last couple of weeks and will try and fit one in over the next couple of days, but between work stuff and a family funeral I may not get a session in. Casual enough about things still though....how the next week's running goes wont affect how I run the Jingle Bells 5k. I'm going out hard and if I blow, i blow and it'll be spectacular :)

Thu: 10k Easy: 49:48 @4:58/km
    Trot on the plains...

Fri: 4 Miles Easy: 31:00 @4:49/km
    Picked it up the last mile. Wasn't going to run but felt like stretching the legs.

Sat: 18.5k: 1:26:15 @4:40/km
    Had thought about a session or a parkrun in the morning, but neither happened. Mate was going for a longish run so I just headed out with him in the afternoon. Felt great, would have like to have gone longer, but time was against me.

Sun: 8 Miles: 59:12 @4:36/km
    Scaldy enough weather, just went on feel, watch under a few layers, was pleasantly surprised by the pace. Didn't feel that fast.

80k for the week.

Mon: 11k Easy: 54:05 @4:55/km
    Time was approximate. Sold my Fenix 3 as I have a 645 Music reserved in Argos on Friday. Alas it meant I'm matchless for the week.

Tue: AM: 7.5k
    PM: 9.5k

Two commutes.

Wed: 10 Miles: 1:14:45 @4:38/km
    Up in Leixlip again and got this in before a work thing. Had the phone with me so recorded it on the phone; finicky enough. I miss the watch :) was tipping along for this one, considering the stops at lights and roads I was probably moving closer to 4:30 pace for this.

Next years plans firming up a bit. The boss wants me to race Raheny & Trim, which I secretly wanted to do but I didn't even ask him as I thought it wouldn't be a runner. Have the block fairly sorted for Manchester. Wasnt successful in the Berlin ballot, so it's looking like Amsterdam in the Autumn. I think I'll leave Berlin until I get the Qualifying time :)

• Advertisement

I might add that I gave AMK a shout about running Raheny and Trim/Dungarvan, to which he replied 'controversial!'....and then signed up himself within about 3 minutes ;)

Advertisement