Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

At times I regret my impulsivity (is that a word?)

But at other times - I love it - really looking fwd to racing more in this marathon build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Thu: Session: 4x200,2x400,800,2x400,4x200 off equivalent jog recoveries. (Edit: off 60 secs jog!!)

Hadn't planned on doing this, but one thing led to another which led to me getting out at about 6:30pm (sans dinner) and excited about my new watch. Decided to mosey down to the track and give this a go. Nothing very scientific about my workout choices at the moment. If it ticks a 5k-ish looking box I'll go with it.

Splits were as follows;
    2:35

Aside from having dodge a good bit of Juvenile traffic on the track, session went well. Was happy enough to finish as the stomach was growling...

Friday: 12.2k: 55:48 @4:34/km
    Off work to attend a funeral so hadn't planned on running, but an hour opened up in the afternoon.

Saturday: 24k: 1:49:27 @4:34/km
    Santa Steam Train on Sunday was going to put paid to any running :) so I got out Saturday monring for a LR. No real plan of action but wanted it to be steady enough. Pace built up naturally and was feeling good throughout.

90k for the Week.

Jingle Bells this Saturday, I should run well...but who knows.

Mon: 12.5k: 1:05:29 @5:14/km

Tue: AM: 6.8k: 34:13 @5:01/km
    Icy enough run into work, almost put on my arse a couple of times.
    PM: 11k: 51:08 @4:39/km

Wed: Session: 3x3x400m

This weeks internet search for '5k Race Week Session' turned up this MacMillan session as the first result...and I went with it :)

Basic plan was 1st set of 3x400 @5k pace off 100m jog, 2nd set @faster than 5k pace off 200m jog, and 3rd set @whatever pace I thought I could maintain for 3 reps off 400m jog.

Splits were:

(81,81,79)
    (77,76,77)
    (69,69,69)

Had a good rattle at the last 3 400's. The last few sessions would indicate that I have a good 5k in me...I just don't really feel it though :( PB is 17:34, i could more than likely run 17:30 in the Jingle Bells if I was of a mind to do that and get a PB, but that's not gonna be the plan!I'm going off hard and we'll see where it takes me. Hopefully there'll be enough faster people to drag me around...

No fear of having faster people around you - there'll be plenty.

That breeze better die down otherwise it'll be a tough one!

No fear of having faster people around you - there'll be plenty.

That breeze better die down otherwise it'll be a tough one!

Thanks for volunteering A :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Saturday Johnny, run well man!!

Thu: Unplanned Rest Day

Fri: 20 mins inc 6x50m strides

Sat: Jingle Bells 5k

Got there in decent time. Met Sean (Mellow Yellow from these here parts) in the Boat Club car park, but had to start warm up early to get to a Portaloo quickly :) Met SkyBlue as I was finishing warm up and promptly got into the pen. Got a shout off AMK in the pen and he was about 5/6 rows ahead of me. It was fairly crammed in there and I couldn't move without being a bit of an arse so I stayed where I was.

Off we went, got over the line and had to negotiate a few runners to get into my stride. Got clipped from behind and stumbled, but stayed upright thankfully. AMK and his little group were about 20/30m up the road at this stage, but I tried not to panic and just set about working my way into the race. Came up beside Mellow Yellow as we turned onto Chesterfield, and I figured that I was more or less on pace now. First km (3:25)

Could see AMK and RobBrowne (nice to meet you Rob!) from these parts up ahead so I tried to make it up to them as soon as. 2nd Km (3:24)

3rd KM seemed to be a slower km for everyone, the wind and slope weren't advantageous. I was conscious enough of sitting a little here to leave something for the furry glen climb, this definitely, along with the start, cost me any chance I had of going under 17mins. But hindsight is 20/20 vision isn't it. (3:28)

4th km which encompassed the downhill into the glen was a tricky one. I really didn't feel comfortable descending, I slipped a little a couple of times here. Had Rob and (i think) BeepBeep from these parts for company now. Was happy enough to just keep pace with the two boys at this stage. The climb was quick and painless in the end. I remember it being worse when I ran the Irish Runner 5 Mile last year, but how and ever. (3:27)

Final km down the hill. I've never had the sensation of finishing a 5k and feeling good, but this was it. Don't get me wrong, I was flat out, but confident that I was gonna finish strong. I could and should have kicked earlier for the line than I did, waiting for the turn was silly as I thought the lead up to the finish line was longer than it actually was (3:20)
    Over the line in 17:11 Gun Time and 17:06 Chip Time (those 5 seconds gives an idea of how far back I was at the start).

Great chats afterwards with Rob, AMK, OutforaRun, Overpronator, Mellow Yellow and a few club mates.

That's a 28sec PB for me & the first time I've turned up in a 5k really. Nice to know there's a bit of zip in the legs after Dublin. A great day.

Sun: 20k: watch died after 10k as I was back at the car changing my hailstone saturated running tops :( 4:50ish pace. Grim morning for a run.

74k for the week and a 5k PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Very solid run and clearly more there for you too, well done. Nice to say hello after too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff J, super racing and sounded like you enjoyed it somewhat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Congratulations on the PB you were cruising. Nice to met you. Good group from around here in the 17 to 18 minutes mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats on the PB wow low 17.. fast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

We’ll make a 5k runner out if you yet... very well ran :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Imagine if you trained for one ;)

Didn't even say hello as he passed me on the Furze...............b'stard.

Didn't even say hello as he passed me on the Furze...............b'stard.

The above quote is libellous! I 100% said hello....

Went to Second Captains live show Sunday night, hadn't drank since the marathon...ropey enough yesterday. Luckily I'd the day taken off work. It's amazing how ****e you'd feel after missing one day's running due to a hangover. Hectic enough day today on the cards so I might not get out today either :o Checked in with the boss and told him of my bootleg 5k training of the last couple of weeks and the Jingle Bells result. He reckons that I should do another 5k this weekend or next, that 17 mins is there for the taking. This weekend doesn't suit, but I might head to a parkrun the following week or something.

Mon: Rest/Hungover

Tue: Rest/Frazzled

There is nothing quite like Christmas time when you work in a school. Got home about 9pm, and contemplated heading out for a run but decided against it. Was still tired after Sunday night so just left things. Felt like all fitness had left the body...

Wed: 10.1k Easy: 48:44 @4:50/km

Almost didn't get out again, which would have been full on panic stations territory :) but managed to nip out for this.

Thu:

Decided that having another rattle at a 5k just isn't of any interest to me now. Maybe if I had of been able to do a parkrun this weekend I might have went again, but that's off the cards and besides, I've a marathon block coming up.

With that decision made, I reckoned I might do a tempo type session as I had a carol service thing in the evening, wasn't going home and had a couple of hours to myself. 'AMK did a nice looking session yesterday morning...' popped into my head, and off I went to do something akin to what he did. (My own Marathon Plan is in the works and will be given to me as a christmas present :) ) but in the mean time i'm just staying sharp and hoping to get a couple of 90-100k weeks inc a decent session or two in over the holidays before the real business starts in the New Year.

Anyway, the session was....

3 Miles Easy/3 Miles Tempo/3 mins rec/2 Miles Tempo/2 Miles Easy

Session was fine, enjoyed running at that Tempo-ish pace. Splits for the 3 and 2 mile tempos were (18:02) (11:49)

Just under 17k for the day.

Fri: 8.66km: 43:05 @4:58/km

Sat: 12k inc 10x1 min. Did this in the snow :o also managed to delete whilst trying to change Podcasts on the watch on the way home. Watch is great, but still getting to gtips with the controls.

Sun: 15 Miles: 1:44:30 @4:20/km

Decided that I wanted to push things out a little in terms of pace on this one. First couple of km were ropey underfoot with the ice, so I made for the dual carraigeway and ran out to Toughers Industrial estate as thos roads would be gritted and fairly busy. As the run progressed I got an idea of where I was at and decided that I'd try and average under 7 minute miles. Felt great on the run although I probably should have taken a euro with me to get a bottle of water or something as I was a little dehydrated by the end.

This will be the first marathon block where I'm starting in pretty good nick. It will bring it's on issues I'm sure, and i'll have to be careful not to peak too early, but all in all I'm feeling pretty good about things.

Been fighting a dose all week here. Hectic week in work too which didn't exactly lend itself to running...and the shocking weather too :(

Got the following in;

Mon: Zip. Just found myself spinning too many plates at once and the run just didn't happen.

Tue: 10k: 48:37 @4:51/km
    Woke up feeling ****e and all blocked up. Felt sufficiently ok to go for an easy jaunt in the afternoon.

Wed: Similar to previous day except feeling worse. Then for some reason I decided I wasn't gonna take the day off and instead went for a run as i deemed the weather 'to have broken'...Even threw on the flats and decided I'd do a little session and see how that felt. Cue 15 mins into the run and I'm dodging flying fencing and getting blown from one end of the town to the other. Session was scrapped and run was quickly capped at;

8.66k: 42:29 @4:54/km

Thu: Nope. Home and in bed asleep by 6:45.

Fri: Holidays brought with them an improvement sufficient enough to let me out for a run on a gorgeous afternoon. Felt decent enough.

10 Miles: 1:14:08 @4:36/km

Just sort of freewheeling the next 10 days or so, like most I imagine. Will get a LR in on Sunday, might chance a session tomorrow, will see how I wake up. A couple of nights out planned but nothing too major. Marathon training starts Mon 30th :)

Sat: 8Miles: 1:00:00 @4:39/km

Just a beautiful distance and time :)

Sun: 25k Relaxed: 1:50:49 @4:26/km

Just keeping in touch with the longer stuff.

Mon: 8Miles: 1:02:00 @4:49/km

Tue: 15k: 1:10:57 @4:44/km

Wed: Session: 6x800MP/800Relaxed

First time in years I wasnt cooking Christmas dinner so got out and decided to do something a little quicker. Came upon this on a bit of a whim but it was enjoyable enough on a glorious Christmas morning, even if the roads were a little icy.

Splits were @/km:
    (4:03/4:29)
    (3:59/4:26)
    (3:58/4:26)
    (3:56/4:21)
    (3:58/4:25)
    (3:59/4:24)

Thu: 11.3k: 54:47 @4:51/km

Trying to run off previous day's excesses.

Fri+Sat: Zip. Mostly Guinness' fault......

Sun: Was fearful (as usual) that a couple of days boozing had wiped out all of my fitness. Wife wasn't feeling great so didn't get out early for a LR as I had sort of made my mind up to do. Ended up with a window of about an hour, which resulted in....

8Miles: 55:00 @4:16/km

In other news I have started Marathon training.... :)

Manchester Marathon Week 1 of 14

Mon: 10 Miles Easy: 1:17:12 @4:48/km

Gonna make a couple of changes as regards warm up races; namely racing Raheny and Trim back to back, and also focus more on some longer tempos this time around. A couple of these tempos are gonna form part of the LR so it's gonna be interesting to see how things pan out.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with it J. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Training logs are very busy today! Long may it continue...

Tue: 10 Miles Easy: 1:19:06 @4:55/km

Wed: 8 Mile Tempo: 48:58 @3:48/km

First session of the new block. It's an indicator of where I am fitness wise that a) this was prescribed for week 1 & b) I was able to put in a decent shift.

The plan had a window from 6:15-6:00/miles, but the main focus was on staying controlled and not pushing things. I'd ran 2 sub 48min 8mile tempos in DCM block in weeks 10 & 14 but I wouldn't have been within an ass' roar of hitting this workout straight out the gate in week 1 last July.

Run itself was fairly straightforward effort wise, eased into the pace and felt comfortable at around 6:05 miles. However, I had a pretty disastrous chafing experience...I wore a pair of split shorts that I've hung on to for too long and by 10k in I was pretty much in agony :o held on for the last bit and the end result wasn't too pretty :( Shorts have been binned and a couple of dressings will sort out the damage. No craic at all!

First 6 weeks of the plan are pretty full on with a couple of big workouts in there. Nice to have the first one in the bag.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Training logs are very busy today! Long may it continue...

Tue: 10 Miles Easy: 1:19:06 @4:55/km

Wed: 8 Mile Tempo: 48:58 @3:48/km

First session of the new block. It's an indicator of where I am fitness wise that a) this was prescribed for week 1 & b) I was able to put in a decent shift.

The plan had a window from 6:15-6:00/miles, but the main focus was on staying controlled and not pushing things. I'd ran 2 sub 48min 8mile tempos in DCM block in weeks 10 & 14 but I wouldn't have been within an ass' roar of hitting this workout straight out the gate in week 1 last July.

Run itself was fairly straightforward effort wise, eased into the pace and felt comfortable at around 6:05 miles. However, I had a pretty disastrous chafing experience...I wore a pair of split shorts that I've hung on to for too long and by 10k in I was pretty much in agony :o held on for the last bit and the end result wasn't too pretty :( Shorts have been binned and a couple of dressings will sort out the damage. No craic at all!

First 6 weeks of the plan are pretty full on with a couple of big workouts in there. Nice to have the first one in the bag.

There is no way in hell I'm doing any runs with you - that 8m Tempo was a Monster!!
    Betcha, getting nearer the Race, your MP will move closer to your tempo pace.

There is no way in hell I'm doing any runs with you - that 8m Tempo was a Monster!!
    Betcha, getting nearer the Race, your MP will move closer to your tempo pace.

Jaysus I don't know A. Maybe. I suppose I need to be more aggressive in races. My half marathon and marathon PB's last year were both set by being pretty conservative in those races; the half was more to do with needing to put something on the scoreboard after the DNF in the Frank Duffy, although the warm and windy conditions in the PP that day were tricky to race in. DCM was conservative, but I knew that I was gonna have a couple of goes at getting well into the 2:40's this year so I just wanted to run a strong race to give me confidence. Now it's time to follow through.

I'll see how the longer Tempo's go, I haven't even completed week 1's LR yet :) it's easier said than done to be aggressive in a marathon I suppose. I'm not a very aggressive racer....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Conservative in training and aggressive in racing, but don't ask me about marathons :pac:

Aggressive in training and aggressive in racing. Didn't work for me.

Conservative/smart in training and aggressive in racing, mixed results.

Conservative in training and Conservative in racing..... Time will tell

Thu: 10k Recovery: 50:28 @5:03/km

Fri: 12k Easy: 57:41 @4:45/km

Sat: Hill Session:10x550m, downhill recoveries.

Plan was for 12x500 on Braveheart Hill in the Curragh, but I didn't fancy doing a session in the muck and ****e so I took to another spot about a mile from the house. Still a decent hill, but a bit of a longer and slower burn. Erred on side of caution and did 10 instead of 12 as hill was about 560ish meters. Felt stronger as the session went all. All uphill splits were within a second or two of each other.

10 Miles for the day.

Sun: 30k Relaxed: 2:11:40 @4:23/km

A shocking nights sleep due to a 2 year old who just wanted to party resulted in me watching NFL in the middle of the night and then couldn't get back to sleep after 5am :(

Met my buddy who ran a 2:53 marathon debut in DCM and is concentrating on some slightly shorter stuff this spring before another rattle at the marathon next Autumn. He had two hours on the plan and I had 30k@ 4:30-4:20 region, so we were good company. Run itself was really straightforward and not a whole lot to report other than effort levels felt perfect and great chats wee had the whole way around.

Week 1 in the bag, decent LR off the bat & 2 good sessions. 116k in total.

Some NFL game to catch though!
    Follow any team?
    I'm a 49ers fan so keen eye on the wildcard games tonight

Some NFL game to catch though!
    Follow any team?
    I'm a 49ers fan so keen eye on the wildcard games tonight

I'd watch Redzone every Sunday evening anyway :) you could also loosely put me down as part of the 49ers fanbase as I bought a Kaepernick 7 jersey when I was over in SF on holidays a few years back (little did I know...). But since I'm a big supporter of teams in other sports I'd be slow to call myself a fan as such. The majority of my American Football knowledge (and title of this log as well come to think of it!) comes from Coach Eric Taylor in Friday Night Lights and playing the Madden games :)

• Advertisement

Lol I grew up playing Madden too and now that you mention it give me a pang to drag the PS3 back out!
    Have you read the Friday Night Lights book? It's fantastic!

Kaeps jersey eh? I bought a Jarryd Hayne #38 jersey, little did I know...

Advertisement