Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Comprehensive. Thanks very much.

You're welcome......oh, you were talking to Skyblue I guess. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Skyblue46 outlines it very good. That's why you often get people giving out about short/long races when they cross the finish line. Races with tight bends play havoc with the GPS. If you have a session on a track when they ever reopen. I ignore the GPS, pre programed paces and all that fancy stuff and just use the manual lap button instead. In fact a simple stop watch will do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

MY BAD wrote: »
    Skyblue46 outlines it very good. That's why you often get people giving out about short/long races when they cross the finish line. Races with tight bends play havoc with the GPS. If you have a session on a track when they ever reopen. I ignore the GPS, pre programed paces and all that fancy stuff and just use the manual lap button instead. In fact a simple stop watch will do

Interesting. This is all new news to me but makes perfect sense now.

MY BAD wrote: »

You're relying on the mile and k markers to be correct then ;) have often thought about manual lapping, but I'd be certain I'd forget! I would keep an eye on the difference between the watch and the markers. Particularly in a marathon. I'd always have the projected finish distance in my mind when looking at whatever was showing on my watch. I got got caught badly at my HM last month when for the first 10/11 Miles the markers were about about 100m short by my watch distance, only for the race to end up measuring 160m long which fairly burst my bubble coming up to the finish when I was bounding down the last mile thinking a PB was coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

healy1835 wrote: »
    You're relying on the mile and k markers to be correct then ;) have often thought about manual lapping
    I wouldn't use the manual lap in a road race. You're right about makers been not in the correct position. I mean when doing a session on a 400m track use the manual lap button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

You're welcome......oh, you were talking to Skyblue I guess. ;)

Ah, no. Both ;)

Mon: 21.8k: 1:30:53 @4:10/km

The smaller bog loop is just over 5.2k and so 4 of them makes a HM. Loop starts about 700m from my house so I said I'd do the 4 loops and make it progressive. Wasn't 100% on doing a long session but was feeling a lot better and my wife got back a bit earlier than planned.

My spotify on the watch went on the blink beforehand and in trying to remedy said problem I've deleted the app and now it wont load back up...so the run had no tunes today. I've ran a couple of LRs and sessions with some music lately, but that's just for some sort of different slant on things to keep me sane. So off I went into the evening sunshine with just my own thoughts rattling around.

The run was really enjoyable. I keep saying it but this loop is the business. Now don't get me wrong, after running on it almost exclusively for over a month now I'm getting a bit antsy, but it's a nice little test and really comes into it's own when doing loops for a LR; 2 sneaky railway hump bridges and a long 500m drag on each loop. I can extend it and add in another 3k by adding on a smaller loop but that takes in a little of the main road and can be ropey with traffic so I only go that way now if I'm running easy and not in any hurry.

Had some kind of idea of 4:40,4:30,4:20,4:10 average pace for the loops but once I was out on the road I knew I was feeling good so I said I'd push it a bit more. Ended up averaging 4:23/4:14/4:04/3:58 for the 4 x 5.2k loops. Briefly contemplated going for a 5th loop but I hadn't had dinner yet and was beginning to feel hungry and thirsty.

An enjoyable way to start the week.

Lack of load time patience has led me to steer clear of these parts during the week, but for posterity's sake I shall post my weekly update while it's fresh in the ceann :)

Tue: 10.4k: 53:30 @5:09/km

Ran into a buddy mid run and was chatting for about 10 mins. Pretty cold afterwards so cut things short.

Wed: 10 Miles: 77mins @4:47/km

Had to reset watch to factory settings as some Spotify related problems left me too annoyed to troubleshoot things! Watch took forever to sync after reset so off I went sans Garmin.

Thu: Session: 25 Min Tempo: 10mins @MP (3:55), 10 mins @HMP (3:46), 5 mins @10kP (3:34)
    Stole this off Murph and the Claw. Left the last 5mins at 10k rather than 5k. Decent warm up and cool down. Just under 10 miles all in all. Wore the Peg Turbos for this and they felt really good at a quicker clip.

Fri: 13k: 1:02:18 @4:47/km

Summer came upon us Friday apparently. The 5 or so minutes I spent during this run trying to figure out if it was hailstoning or not, would suggest otherwise!

Sat: 10 Miles: 1:13:39 @4:34/km

Cruising around here. Even went exploring down a couple of bohereens down the bog. Pep in the step with the imminent 5k restrictions boost.

Sun: 28k: 2:03:28 @4:24/km

Some days you just feel like this whole running lark is very easy. Today was one of those days. Had no route, pace or distance in mind when I set out. I let the body decide. Said I'd venture into the Lidl loop and maybe finish out the bog, just for a little change of scenery. Got to the Lidl loop, did one, decided I'd do another....and another...and another....and another! Tunes were good, weather was good, 4:25/kms felt effortless. Almost turned right for a 6th loop and prospective 33k LR, but having taken no water or fuel on board, decided that might be a bit silly, and moseyed home.

121k for the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

On the load time issue, clearing all cookies and browser cache fixed it.

Mon: 14.1k Easy: 1:06:55 @4:45/km

Beautiful BH Monday trot around the bog.

Tue: 13.1k Easy: 1:02:35 @4:46/km

Feeling great on the last few runs. This nice weather seems to agree with me!

Wed: Was meant to be a rabbit (2meters apart of course) for a buddy's 5k TT in or around 18mins. He tried to get out of it, so I told him we'd do 2 x 15 mins @MP. He ran 2:56 in Berlin just gone and would be my regular training partner, but is coming back to fitness. Ended up getting 10 miles out of him. I told him he should have just done the 5k! 15mins were @3:58/km & 3:57/km. He was a good bit more than 2m back by the end of both of them ;) Felt very controlled.

Thu: Sleepless night and Gillian not getting home from work til after 7 saw me knock things on the head in favour of an easy double.

Fri: AM: 8.3k: 43:10 @5:11/km
    PM: 12.1k: 57:56 @4:48/km

Managed to nip into the school for a few hours as Gillian was off today. Afternoon run was beautiful, up around Sheshoon Stud and back over the plains.

Sat: 15 Miles inc 10Mile alternating tempo @ 6:25/7:00 per mile : 1:42:04@4:14/km

With the forecast being sensational for today and ropey for tomorrow, UFC taking place tonight and a crate of Stella in my Utility room, I decided to go long today. My crack coach/good buddy is formulating an interim training plan for me, but he's flat out so it's still floating around in the ether. Hence the slight randomness of my training lately. Hit up AMK for a LR session...2 mins later he gave me 3 suggestions ;) Went with the above and headed to the Lidl Loop in pretty warm conditions.
    Splits were;(6:21,6:41,6:24,6:54,6:23,6:53,6:20,6:54,6:21,6:59)
    As you can see I clearly had more difficulty with the 7:00 miling than the MP stuff. It was partly to do with the annoying intensity target thingamagic I set on the Garmin for some mystifying reason, but more to do with it not being easy to come off 6:25 pace back down to 7:00min pace. I always felt I was going too slow and the more I held back the harder things seemed to get. The MP stuff was the easiest part. Anyway, great to get that in the bag and keep things ticking over. Stopped at a garage for a can of Coke on the way back. Manna from heaven. :)

Will amble out tomorrow at some stage to clock up the 100k for the week.

*Sunday Edit

2 Stellas was enough to see me off to the land of nod. Got up and watched the PPV section of UFC live, and as a result was fearful of being too knackered to go on a run later so did a..

12.1k Recovery: 1:02:19 @5:09/km

...whilst listening to a Rewatchables podcast on Gladiator. Might give it a watch tonight, been a few years.

100k for the week off 6 days.

Those scurrilous shots at my character over on the TT thread were quite uncalled for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I went back to check the TT thread.............

5.15 me b0ll!x.

Sure you've nearly run that in the 1st mile of a 5k.

That level of SB'ing should come with a penalty of 30 secs.

I went back to check the TT thread.............

5.15 me b0ll!x.

Sure you've nearly run that in the 1st mile of a 5k.

Strava tells me my mile PB is 5:18. Granted that was the last rep of a 6x1mile session, but that's the number I have to aim for. My conscience is clear... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Now there's a thought....

Mon: 15.1k: 1:11:46 @4:45/km

Listening to podcasts and realising there ain't no sport coming back any time soon :(

Tue: 8 Miles: 1:00:38 @4:42/km

Late evening return onto the plains for a little bit. Glorious.

Wed: Session: 35mins steady/5mins easy/3x1k off 200m rec/5mins easy/4x200

Came across this whilst mooching about online. Seemed like a bit of craic. 35mins was referred to as 'steady state'; a new term for me anyway :) worked out about 5k pace per mile + 25/30secs which came in or around 4:05/km for me. Felt good at that pace although the wind was a bit of a dose at times. Finished up averaging 4:03, which was mostly down to one kilometer when I just lost concentration downwind and next thing I know a 3:50km beeps. After the 5mins recovery I was feeling pretty decent.

Decided to run the km's at 10k-ish pace, probably ended up a little faster @3:28/kms. I'd be doing well to beat 35:11 in the morning so they were a little hot. Made hames of last rep with trying to run through a gate that was locked. Had to walk around and out through another building, so whilst I got 60secs rest, my momentum was completely shattered. Saying that I don't recall how fast they were meant to be, so they maybe they have been at 5k pace.

200s to finish and after first one I got into a nice little stride. Warmed down, bringing the day to about 18k. Still just sort of floating through things, but feeling quite strong and enjoying the sessions, even if they're a bit on the random side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Bundesliga is back Saturday!!! Up the Billygoats!!!

healy1835 wrote:
    Listening to podcasts and realising there ain't no sport coming back any time soon

UFC Fight Island will do for now

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

OOnegative wrote: »

Leipzig could do with the support given the hatred for them in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Mon: 15.1k: 1:11:46 @4:45/km

Listening to podcasts and realising there ain't no sport coming back any time soon :(

Came across this whilst mooching about online. Seemed like a bit of craic. 35mins was referred to as 'steady state'; a new term for me anyway :) worked out about 5k pace per mile + 25/30secs which came in or around 4:05/km for me. Felt good at that pace although the wind was a bit of a dose at times. Finished up averaging 4:03, which was mostly down to one kilometer when I just lost concentration downwind and next thing I know a 3:50km beeps. After the 5mins recovery I was feeling pretty decent.

Used a lot by American coaches though with no consistency, have seen it range from Threshold to MP depending on the coach in question

Think Ben Rosario tends to use it a lot and tends to mean MP but again that’s at Altitude so prob little higher effort

KSU wrote: »
    Used a lot by American coaches though with no consistency, have seen it range from Threshold to MP depending on the coach in question

Think Ben Rosario tends to use it a lot and tends to mean MP but again that’s at Altitude so prob little higher effort

Thanks L. I was running it thinking that I should probably just be doing it at MP. More a result of using my 5k PB which would be soft enough and my planned MP which wouldn't be quite so soft. Good workout though.

OOnegative wrote: »

Was in University for a year in a spot about 40mins from Stuttgart and went to a few games. Also went to a Fortuna Dusseldorf game whilst on a stag a couple of years back when they were in the Bundesliga.2. Great spot to go to games. Everything's so straight forward; public transport included as part of match tickets, pints in the ground, safe standing and, most importantly, Currywurst. :)

• Advertisement

I'm still unsure as to whether Fight Island is a real thing or not. If there's any owner/president crazy enough to pull it off it's Dana White. They're limited to US based fighters for the Florida shows at the moment which curtailed things no doubt.

I'm still unsure as to whether Fight Island is a real thing or not. If there's any owner/president crazy enough to pull it off it's Dana White. They're limited to US based fighters for the Florida shows at the moment which curtailed things no doubt.

Cant believe you guys watch that muck - I'm never sending you 2 a Christmas card again.

Thu: Nowt. The sort of day that just makes you despair for everything. The two lads in really bad form, herself in the humour from hell. Not listening to a SINGLE word her Daddy would tell her. Gillian not back from work until late. Cracked the screen on my phone when a certain someone steam rolled over my blistered left toes with a buggy :( then topped off with a terrible night's sleep.....

Fri: Everyone is friends again now. Had a great morning with the gang, nature walks, art projects, baking. Was nodding off on the couch when Gillian got in early from work. Said I'd head out for a run...

20k: 1:25:09 @4:15/km

Had 10 Miles in mind, but just sort of felt like something longer. Pace was pretty steady and was enjoying it so just did another little loop of the bog to bring up 20k. Head a million percent better afterwards. Great lark this running stuff ;)

Cant believe you guys watch that muck - I'm never sending you 2 a Christmas card again.

Haha been a fan for years but haven't watched a live event in a long long time. Kids and 5am finishes don't mix well. Some good times we're had back in the day with a box of beer, laptop, ufc and a bag of chilli heatwave doritos. Long before mcgregor appeared by the way.

Haha been a fan for years but haven't watched a live event in a long long time. Kids and 5am finishes don't mix well. Some good times we're had back in the day with a box of beer, laptop, ufc and a bag of chilli heatwave doritos. Long before mcgregor appeared by the way.

It's funny how since McGregor has come on the scene, long time MMA fans sort of have to qualify their credentials :) my own first live show was UFC 80 in Newcastle, Penn vs Stephenson. Been to most of the UK events since, including bringing 20 mates, some very disorientated/out of their comfort zones, to UFC 89 in Birmingham for my stag :o Also saw Silva-Sonnen I in Oakland in 2010 during a holiday on the west coast of the States. Highlight would be a toss up between Bisping v Silva at the O2 or Bisping v Henderson at the MEN Arena (3 weeks before DCM'16, had about 20 beers I'd say :) unbelievable atmosphere and definitely the drinkers arena I've ever been in (main card started at 3am for PPV in the US. Main Event was after 5am :o )

Yeah you wouldn't believe the amount of people that assume I'm only into UFC coz of mcgregor. There is a tendancy to distance myself as I have very little respect for the guy after the last couple of years.

Only been to two live events. The highlight beeing a single day trip with the lads from work to Manchester for the bisping v Henderson 2 fight. What an amazing day. Flew out of Dublin in the afternoon. Picked up tickets. Pubs. Arena. Flew back to Dublin at 6am. Back in bed 24 hrs later.

First event I ever saw was around the time time Brock arrived on the scene. Might have been the Mir fight. A buddy of mine was a big WWE fan and followed his progress into MMA.

Shockingly jealous you saw silva v sonnen 1 by they way. One of my favourite mma fights of all time. Good buddy of mine was in Vegas for the leg break v weidman.

It's funny how since McGregor has come on the scene, long time MMA fans sort of have to qualify their credentials :) my own first live show was UFC 80 in Newcastle, Penn vs Stephenson. Been to most of the UK events since, including bringing 20 mates, some very disorientated/out of their comfort zones, to UFC 89 in Birmingham for my stag :o Also saw Silva-Sonnen I in Oakland in 2010 during a holiday on the west coast of the States. Highlight would be a toss up between Bisping v Silva at the O2 or Bisping v Henderson at the MEN Arena (3 weeks before DCM'16, had about 20 beers I'd say :) unbelievable atmosphere and definitely the drinkers arena I've ever been in (main card started at 3am for PPV in the US. Main Event was after 5am :o )
    Shockingly jealous you saw silva v sonnen 1 by they way. One of my favourite mma fights of all time. Good buddy of mine was in Vegas for the leg break v weidman.

King vrs Phillips on the hill after school - circa 1986. Great crowd, superb atmosphere - Kinger took the win in the style of Macho Man Savage.

Sat: 10k Recovery : 51:39@5:09/km

Few Estrellas the previous evening had me tired enough. Felt better by the end though.

Sun: 24.6k Easy: 1:59:59 @4:53/km

Out with a couple of buddies for the first time in a long time. Leisurely and enjoyable catch up.

100k for the week

Mon: 9Miles Easy: 1:09:31 @4:38/km

Approximate time there. Felt like that pace anyway. Phone, watch, and 2 sets of headphones all died before this run. Very nearly stayed on the couch... But managed to get out the door.

Tue: 15k Easy: 1:11:00 @4:44/km

Running with company again is great.

Wed: Session: 8x1k @3:25/km

Back on plan this week, and the first session was interesting enough. Only managed 6 as I developed an absolute thunderbastard of a blister on my left foot. It's been coming for a while but today was the day it really showed up! We're talking under the nail of the middle toe, but coming out both above and below the nail. Managed 5 without too much problems (with the blister that is, was running hard today). But on the 6th I think it popped out at the bottom of the nail. Not good. Hobbled through that rep. Decided to can the last two. Would have kept going in a race but not a session. Back to the car, first aid kit in the boot came in handy and managed to burst it and bandage it up and get a cool down in.

Oh yeah, splits were:

3:21,3:22,3:23,3:24,3:25,3:28.

Def went out a bit quick but was on a loop so not all kms were equal with wind /elevation/blister pain etc. Almost cut last one short but finished it out.

15k for the day.

• Advertisement

Thu: 8 Miles Easy: 1:02:35 @4:51/km

Easy jaunt listening to the Rewatchables podcast on Back to the Future. Great listen, think I'll watch it with the two lads tonight :)

Fri: 14k Easy: 1:03:30 @4:32/km

Wind blew me around the town and once I hit a couple of downwind kms the pace just naturally quickened and I held a more sprightly pace until the end.

Back on plan now. Floating about was fun but I need some structure. Amsterdam won't be happening, so gonna train hard over the summer and target a few TT's from 5Mile, 10k, 10Mile and HM. Doing a range finder 10k next weekend just to see where I'm at.

Advertisement