Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

healy1835 wrote: »
    Thu: 8 Miles Easy: 1:02:35 @4:51/km

Easy jaunt listening to the Rewatchables podcast on Back to the Future. Great listen, think I'll watch it with the two lads tonight :)

Fri: 14k Easy: 1:03:30 @4:32/km

Wind blew me around the town and once I hit a couple of downwind kms the pace just naturally quickened and I held a more sprightly pace until the end.

Back on plan now. Floating about was fun but I need some structure. Amsterdam won't be happening, so gonna train hard over the summer and target a few TT's from 5Mile, 10k, 10Mile and HM. Doing a range finder 10k next weekend just to see where I'm at.

Hmmmm....ditching the prestigious Boards Champion of Champions One Mile TT for a "range finder" :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hmmmm....ditching the prestigious Boards Champion of Champions One Mile TT for a "range finder" :eek::rolleyes:

All I got there was abuse. Soured the whole thing for me Sean...

PS. No need to asterisk my Mile prediction :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

healy1835 wrote:
    All I got there was abuse. Soured the whole thing for me Sean...

What's your prediction for the 10k TT? 46mins? ;)

Sat: 4 Mile Tempo @5:50/mile, 5 mins recovery, 2 x 1 mile off 2mins @5:30/mile.

Things are ramping up a little here! This looked tough enough on paper, and watching the clouds race past the window this morning wasn't exactly confidence inspiring. Was meant to pace a couple of mates in a 5k TT as part of my tempo but neither of them could make it so I was on my todd. Just under 1 and a half Lidl loops was the plan. The wind would be a big factor of course and the fact that I'd be running into it heading back into Newbridge along the main road was not very enticing.

2k warm up down to the loop and straight into business. Running on the other side of the road here, quiet enough so wasn't too disturbed. 3:35/km for the first km, felt fairly comfortable and I turned onto the new road knowing that the next mile or so would be down wind. It's always tough to gauge just how much to take from a tailwind. I remember seeing a good Jack Daniels talk about the fact you never get as much time from running down wind as you lose from running upwind. Anyway, the breeze rather helpfully decided to die down a bit for the next km, 3:33, only to reappear about 300m into the next one just as I was nearing the turn back into town. 3:33 for the km but I'm working into the breeze and the slow down feels pretty dramatic. 'I'm tired here!' & 'You've a lot of miles in the legs this week' thoughts start to cross my mind as the next km beeps at 3:46 :( only about 400m left into the headwind though and as I turn off to finish the first loop I can start to recoup and get going again. 3:41 for the 5th km and I'm feeling like I can get back the time I've lost over the last section which is now less than a mile. 3:33 for the 6th km and then 3:33 pace for the last 440m sees me finish the 4 miles in 23:16 for a 5:49/mile average and pretty bang on target.

Was stationary for the first part of the 5 mins recovery and then broke into a very slow jog. About a km of the mile would be proper downwind so, I figured the 5:30 target would be very achievable if I was feeling OK. Prob gave it a bit too much and about 500m into it reckoned I could break the 5:18 mile that Strava tells me is my PB. May have gotten there if I'd gone a bit earlier but came in with a 5:22.

Of course now I've 2mins until I have to crack out another 5:30 mile so I'm already feeling a bit silly for the previous effort. Head back out the dual carriageway, which while not exactly having a tailwind and being a bit of a drag, the crosswind is a better option than a headwind back into Newbridge, plus I'll get a decent cool down in now as I'll be further away from home :) 5:35 for this one, the morning's efforts catching up with me in the last few hundred meters.

Back into Newbridge and home for my cool down, coming in just over 18k for the morning. Happy with that session.

I felt queasy reading that. That was a hell of a session.

• Advertisement

Sun: Easy Half: 21.1k: 1:40:00 @4:44/km

Met a buddy for this. Body felt great and the miles passed by very quickly. Happy with the shift I've put in this week.

110k for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What time will you be targeting in the 10km TT? Will you have a buddy to push you on or a solo effort?

MY BAD wrote: »
    What time will you be targeting in the 10km TT? Will you have a buddy to push you on or a solo effort?

Solo most likely. My mate who gives me my training reckons I'm in good nick and that I should just have a rattle at a 10k, remind the system what that feels like and kick start this training block. No real targets tbh. Not for this one, a few of the TTs later in the Summer might see me attack some times, but this one is just a blow out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Do you run much on the Curragh Plains, used to drive down to do LR’s with some army buddies eons ago. Really enjoyed it and easy on the body.

You’ve come on massively since I was on here last, great paces.

Well done

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

After that earlier work in the session that 5:22 is fairly very impressive.

• Advertisement

Do you run much on the Curragh Plains, used to drive down to do LR’s with some army buddies eons ago. Really enjoyed it and easy on the body.

You’ve come on massively since I was on here last, great paces.

Well done

TbL

Surely do. Depends on the time of year, but when I'm working and not housebound like the last couple of months I'd usually do a couple of easy runs on the plains most weeks. When they harden up in the summer I'd do some longer runs or the odd session too. Some spot to have on my doorstep. As long as one doesn't have too much of an issue with sheep or their droppings :)

After that earlier work in the session that 5:22 is fairly very impressive.

A little help from the wind to be fair :) the 2x1 mile at the end certainly makes you stick to tempo effort for the 4 miles and not go too hard, as you're very aware that you'll need a bit in the tank to finish the session!

Mon: 10 Miles Easy: 1:16:06 @4:44/km

Had gone for a walk with the kids earlier along the canal at a spot I hadn't been since I was in primary school. Of course on the way back I'm thinking why have I never ran here before! So said I'd scope out the route and see about running LR on canal this weekend. It's about 5k away from the house, so went a couple of miles down the canal and turned back. I think there's a grass pathway all the way to Naas so will have a goo Sunday.

Tue: Nowt.
    Not much sleep Mon night, and had a few walking wounded at home Tuesday after a fall off bike and another bike collision :) Erin in bed early, Gillian was out the back with the boys as I watched the end of Dortmund-Bayern. Planned to head out after the match & woke up at the final whistle. Alas it was the final whistle of the 2nd game on BT sports and I'd been out for the count for a couple of hours. Decided to can the run ;)

Wed: Session 16x400 @80secs off 30 secs rest :o

Wasn't sure if this was a runner or not, but I've learned by now that if I'm given a specific session it's usually because I have it in the legs, despite my own misgivings a lot of the time.

Was up in work early, bout 6am, so got out around 10am. 5k warm up, realising how hot it was out when I stopped to chat to our postman for a few minutes and he said 'You must be nearly finished, you look shagged' :)

Session was planned for the track, but the AC is out of business due to the adjoining school being a Covid-19 testing centre. So ran across the camp, and did the last few out on the plains.

30 secs rest is a bit of a game changer. I never really felt comfortable at any stage, but I never felt like I wasn't going to finish the session or anything. Took maybe an extra minute recovery after 10 as I ran back to the car for some water. The all back ensemble I had on wasn't helping and if I didn't take on some fluids I wouldn't have gotten to 16.

Cracked on the last rep, but still held on to some sort of respectability with an 85sec rep.

Splits:

Cool down brought the day to 10 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

16x400 at 80 off 30secs ... animal workout!

Was that self prescribed or coach assigned? Asking so I can avoid that coach if I ever go that route!

16x400 at 80 off 30secs ... animal workout!

Was that self prescribed or coach assigned? Asking so I can avoid that coach if I ever go that route!

Ha. Coach assigned alright. I'm off the patented Healy Make It Up As You Go Plan since last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

healy1835 wrote: »
    Had gone for a walk with the kids earlier along the canal at a spot I hadn't been since I was in primary school. Of course on the way back I'm thinking why have I never ran here before! So said I'd scope out the route and see about running LR on canal this weekend. It's about 5k away from the house, so went a couple of miles down the canal and turned back. I think there's a grass pathway all the way to Naas so will have a goo Sunday.

Hi J, I was trying to think where you were talking about above and the only place I can think of that is 5km from you must be Milltown. If it is then that and the rest of the canals around there is my old stomping ground. if you need a hand plan a route just give me a shout out here, while the canal paths are passable on both sides some of it is not suitable for a speedster like you.
    The canal runs were among my favorite places to run, now I'm getting all nostalgic about running.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Hi J, I was trying to think where you were talking about above and the only place I can think of that is 5km from you must be Milltown. If it is then that and the rest of the canals around there is my old stomping ground. if you need a hand plan a route just give me a shout out here, while the canal paths are passable on both sides some of it is not suitable for a speedster like you.
    The canal runs were among my favorite places to run, now I'm getting all nostalgic about running.

Hey L, hope you're keeping well. No I'm actually talking about the Corbally branch of the canal. It starts in Great Connell, a couple of miles outside the town, near enough to Baroda Stud. It would head into Naas and join up with the main canal at Jigginstown I think.

Might give you a shout about the canal runs though. Have always meant to do a few LRs on either of the canals but have never really got there, aside from a few miles at Milltown or Sallins.

https://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A87868200

Thu: 8 Miles Easy: 1:03:44@4:57/km

Fri: 7 Miles Easy Inc x5 strides: 55:10 @4:54/km

Sat: 10k Time Trial/Non Time Trial: 36:14

This was put on the plan as a session to see where I was and to allow my mate to tailor the sessions over the next few weeks. '10k Effort' and '10k Hard' were mentioned so I knew it was probably gonna hurt :) weather forecast was slightly disconcerting, but I generally don't mind the heat, one spectacular blow up in Rotterdam aside.

Last weeks 4 Mile Tempo pace felt like something I could maintain for 10k right now, and that would have me running somewhere around 36:10 or 36:15. I figured if I was really on it I might get close to going under 36 but that wasn't the main target. I figured I'd go out at 3:38 pace and if I'm feeling decent, push on a bit for the 2nd loop.

Out for a warm up loop and the breeze took me by surprise. I knew I'd be working hard, as usual, coming back into the town. Worked my way back around to my starting point and off I went.

Through first favourable km in 3:35, the after a nice start the second km turns into the breeze and comes in at 3:39. I'm heading into the breeze now but I'm not pushing things. I'll just take the hit of a few seconds and make them up later. 3:41 for that km stretch. I'm working now and the road is a little busy as I loop back around to the new ring road, having to avoid a couple of cyclists and cars which cost me a bit of time. Km 4 beeps at 3:38, pretty much on pace at this stage, and feeling relatively OK. Onto the new road now and clipping at 3:35 pace nearing the 5th km when I see a digger and a couple of big construction vehicles backing out onto the road. This section of the new road isn't actually open yet and rarely has any traffic on it so it was a surprise. I figure I'll get up on the narrow path to the right but a couple of dudes in hi vis jackets beckon me to stop until the vehicles have moved on. Split second decision in front of me now; turn around and go back the other way, or just wait it out. Chose the latter. It was a TT, not race. The effort is the same. I know I definitely gained a bit with the 2 min break, but I lost most of my momentum and never really got it back after.

Another 3:35 and 3:36 followed, pushing a bit into the wind this time. Then a 3:42 on the long straight stretch into town. Struggling a little here and though about canning it and calling it a 5 Mile effort ;) those thoughts were dispelled quickly and managed to finish up with 3:37 & 3:35kms. Last km had the proper Last km of a 10k wobbly sensations. 36:14 on the watch. Happy out with that. Pretty much bang on target, may have broken 36 without the break in momentum, but equally may have blown in the last km either!

These solo TT's are no joke.

That's great going. I'd never be able do to that distance in a TT

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

... it’s Mile 22 you felt good so kicked in from the group you were in but now that feeling has faded. Your alone, isolated and hurting.

It’s these sort of TT efforts that will stand to you they are great tool for mental toughness. Fair play man in that heat and alone definitely shows you are in a great place mentally as well as physically and with your training

• Advertisement

KSU wrote: »
    ... it’s Mile 22 you felt good so kicked in from the group you were in but now that feeling has faded. Your alone, isolated and hurting.
    That's a excellent outlook. I'm going to use that

KSU wrote: »

It’s these sort of TT efforts that will stand to you they are great tool for mental toughness. Fair play man in that heat and alone definitely shows you are in a great place mentally as well as physically and with your training

Cheers L. Hopefully we'll get back to a stage where I have the opportunity to be alone in a Marathon at 22 miles :)

Sun: 25.8k: 2:01:53 @4:44/km

Myself and a buddy headed for that canal branch I talked about earlier in the week and had a very enjoyable morning running in new territory. Very runnable at the moment although it would be a lot trickier in wetter conditions. Felt great.

98km for the week.

Over indulged in some sunshine beers yesterday and feeling a little tired and emotional today. :(

In addition to answering Spotlight questions there has also been some running :)

Mon: 7.1k: 33:50 @4:47/km

Had left car at a mates house on the Sunday where the beers were left. Decided I'd run the long way around and get a few miles in, kick the hangover... Alas they were in 25° heat, so wasn't sure if they ended up being a help or a hinderence.

Tue: 10 Miles Easy: 1:14:18 @4:37/km

Wed: 17.3k Eays: 1:24:17 @4:52/km

A couple of bad nights sleep and the feeling I'd a bit of a dose coming on, led to me to canning planned session. Mate had texted me to see if I was around the Curragh for an easy 10k which I was. Went with him and did a few quicker kms afterwards.

Thu: Session: 10x600m @1:55-1:50 off 90 secs.

Was nearly 8:30pm by the time I got out for this :o I really prefer to have my running done before I've eaten dinner, and especially sessions. Gillian was on a Zoom webinar thing that went a bit late so I bit the bullet and had a nice thai red curry. However it's not exactly the quickest food to settle in the belly... Really wasn't in the humour now, but having canned the session the day before I knew I'd just be annoyed if I didn't get out. Attempted to salvage things with a Red Bull and got out the door.

The AC track isn't officially back open but the Covid-19 test centre is no more in the school car park so I managed to get down on to the track as the sun was disappearing over the horizon. Grass track and infield were pretty wild, as to be expected, but it was nice to be there on a sunny evening.

Session was sharp enough, and the last couple of reps were tough, but after last week's 30 sec recoveries on the 400's, 90 seconds felt like an eternity! Was tipping along nicely although the breeze made one or two reps trickier than others.

Splits were;

1:54, 1:52 ,1:49, 1:52, 1:50
    1:51, 1:51, 1:52, 1:52, 1:53

About 13k in all. Might have one or two bits to take care of this weekend that might see me scrapping 6x1 mile session Saturday + LR Sunday in favour of a LR/session one of the two days. Will play it by ear.

I need to run a marathon, or at the very least a marathon to be announced, before I go absolutely bananas.

healy1835 wrote:
    I need to run a marathon, or at the very least a marathon to be announced, before I go absolutely bananas.

I hear there's a super organised ten miler on the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Charleville HM on 13th September seems to be planning to go ahead with restrictions in place - https://northcorkac.niftyentries.com/Charleville-International-Half-Marathon2020

Might be an option. Still a very good possibility of it being postponed/cancelled but I think the organiser will do everything to make it happen

Treviso wrote: »
    Charleville HM on 13th September seems to be planning to go ahead with restrictions in place - https://northcorkac.niftyentries.com/Charleville-International-Half-Marathon2020

Might be an option. Still a very good possibility of it being postponed/cancelled but I think the organiser will do everything to make it happen

Cheers for that. Sounds like they're giving it every chance they can...

Fri: 13.5k: 1:04:21 @4:46/km

Sat: 14k: 1:06:03 @4:42/km

Meant to have a 6x1 a mile session, but coupled with a terrible night's sleep and a day solo parenting, decided to leave session until Sun and maybe get 20/22k in on Monday rather than incorporating a session into the planned 28k on Sunday.

Sun: 20k: 1:22:51 @4:08/km

Well neither of the above happened. Ended up in pretty much the same situation as Sat except I couldn't get out until Erin was asleep which was 6:30pm.

I was properly goosed at this stage, and in the couple of hours leading up to the run I was alternating between the 6x1 mile session or an easy run or a long run or no run :) I just couldn't get my head around a 6x1 mile session where I was going to be pretty aggressive. Said I'd head up to the Lidl loop, throw on some tunes and do 2, maybe 3 circuits and get to 10miles or 20k territory. I felt OK on the run down to the loop, so I said I'd go a decent clip and maybe try and move things on a little each loop (4.6k is the distance).

Ended up feeling pretty good. The breeze had died down a bit, the sun was out and I was just glad to be on the road with a general target of running steady instead of fleecing myself running miles on the track. Did 3 loops and a longer cool down to get to 20k and I called it a day. Paces for the 3 loops were; 4:07/km, 4:04/km & 3:53/km.

101k for the week.

Flickers of light on the horizon with the Charleville Half Marathon. Put in an entry so will see what materialises there. Amsterdam still hasn't been cancelled either and there's noises that something may go ahead there, but I M not getting excited. We'll see. The possibility that marathons might start popping up in Europe in the Autumn has been mentioned in a couple of places. We'll see how it all plays out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thats just the best thing about running. It makes you feel better! Late evenings are not my favourite after a day with the kids and work. Invariably I go out demotivated or reluctantly and come back satisfied with even a middle ground.

Kudos, you still banked miles and some work! Hopefully we will meet at Charleville :)

Advertisement