Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

MY BAD wrote: »
    What would you expect in a 10k going by that 6 mile tempo now?

If you gave me 4-6 weeks of a 10k/HM block i reckon my 9.9k PB of 35:10 from the K Club could be on. Right now, I reckon 35:30ish in the right conditions. But who knows Seán! I ran a 36:06 split in that 8 Mile TT a few weeks back so there's a decent time in there somewhere I reckon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

9.9k? I have a 10.2k PB from there also (2018)!

Murph_D wrote: »
    9.9k? I have a 10.2k PB from there also (2018)!

Yeah they over compensated last year i think! Quick race though...

Fri: Long day resulted in me choosing 4 Erdingers over a late evening run. I'm pretty happy with how things worked out. The cancellation of Amsterdam probably influenced the decision making...

Sat: 17k Easy: 1:20:12 @4:43/km

Sun: LR 30k inc 16 Miles of 1Mile MP/1 Mile Float.

Made decision earlier in the week push my 10 Mile TT to next weekend as I couldn't guarantee I'd be in any form to 'race' after the week I've had.....So this meant I'd a long run to do. Held off deciding on what to do until the morning to see how I was feeling. Decided on the above session and headed out to my hilly loop that I was using during the lockdown. Sorry, the first lockdown, not the Kildare lockdown that we're smack bang in the middle of. Session went well, and I was really happy to hit consistent MP splits over a varied course. A couple of them saw some enhanced efforts, but overall it was fairly controlled.

Paces were:

3:58/4:27
    3:58/4:26
    3:59/4:27
    3:58/4:28
    3:56/4:24
    3:57/4:28
    3:57/4:31
    3:58/4:29

100k for the week off 6 days. Still planning on finishing out marathon block. Well at the moment anyway. Who knows what's in store. Pretty depressing around these parts of the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »
    Still planning on finishing out marathon block. Well at the moment anyway. Who knows what's in store. Pretty depressing around these parts of the country at the moment.

Despite the hosts of Irelands #1 Running podcast giving you advice for about 4 hours :P

• Advertisement

I was suggesting that they have a discussion about it as there's a lot of folk in my position.....didn't expect a full segment on my predicament :) the man in charge thinks i should finish the block, so I'll go with that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

If you're at a loose end now and don't fancy going your full throttle in a TT , I might know know a guy who's looking for a sub 3 pacer :)

If you're at a loose end now and don't fancy going your full throttle in a TT , I might know know a guy who's looking for a sub 3 pacer :)

Providing I can get out of the county that could be a runner :)

Eh.... 'Insert Marathon here' Block: Week 10

Mon: 8 Miles Recovery: 1:06:30 @5:10/km

Out on the plains after work, soft enough but not too bad. Was gonna go longer but things got very dark very quickly which I wasn't expecting and I wasn't exactly attired for running in dark conditions. Left it at 8 Miles rather than go on and do 10.

Tue: 7 Miles Something: 55:02 @4:52/km

In my wisdom/increasing cabin fever in work, I decided to take a little break and head out on to the plains into the teeth of whatever this current storm is called. If the plains were a little soft last night, they had moved up a few notches on the drenchometer by this afternoon.

I, of course, was equipped with no gear that any runner equipped with some gumption would have on. So with my epic reacts, short shorts and light t shirt I set out into wind and rain that would make even the great 18 mph headwinds of the Houston marathon pale into insignificance. Garmin tells me it was 45.7 kmh but I'm guessing that's an average reading because things got a little crazy a few times out there. 8:15 miles were mixed in with sub 7 min miles as the conditions did their thing.

I fell twice, aquaplaning downwind down a decline to start with, and then just losing footing on another occasion. Comedy values were high on the first spill, the second one less so, as I came down hard enough and banged up my hip, elbow and knee. Don't think it's too serious, but I'm a little tender at the moment :)

Wed: 10.25km: 53:02@5:10/km

Another long day in work, punctuated by a shuffle around with a mate. Tender enough after previous day's escapades on the plains.

Thu: Session: 4x200,2x400,800,2x400,4x200

The week seemed to be spiralling out of control, and only for I managed to convince a mate to come down to the track in the absolute lashings of rain in the evening, I wouldn't have bothered with this and probably knocked the TT on the head. But he did come down and the session ended up pretty decent and definitley woke up the body. In a good way. Turnover stuff for the most part. 2:35 for the 800.

Fri: 8.5k: 43:33 @5:08/km

School open for business again and that evening got 5k into this run and realised i was pretty drained. Shuffled home.

Sat: 6.7k: 32:31@4:50/km

Loop around the bog with a few strides. Hadn't planned on tapering for the TT but by this stage my mileage was going to be way down, so i just went out for a shakeout and a few strides. Didn't feel great.

Sun: 10 Mile TT: 58:49

Sunday came along however and the sun was shining, the wind had disappeared and I was feeling chipper enough. Was running it with two club mates, one doing a 10k TT (finished in 36:55) and the other a 10 Mile with me.

Plan was to hold 5:53 ish miles until last 3/4 miles and then maybe kick on and get under 58:30. Didn't quite happen like that as my mate dropped off pace after 4 miles (still grinded out a sub 60) and the company/race I'd envisaged didn't quite pan out. Mile splits were a thing of beauty if I do say so myself :)

5:52, 5:54, 5:54, 5:53, 5:53, 5:53, 5:54, 5:54, 5:52, 5:51

Felt pretty in control the whole way. Maybe after the week I've had the extra little gear wasn't there in the end, but I'm pretty confident I'll get close to that pace for a HM TT in a months time.

Over a minute faster than Trim earlier in the year, and really happy with how that pace felt. Onwards and upwards now. Will hopefully bump mileage back up next week after a poor week this week.

83k for the week.

• Advertisement

superb.

What a run - doing that sub 59 is fantastic - with a 3 second variation over the 10 miles!!!

I'd be super proud of that in a race! No doubt you'd go faster in race conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Super consistent training the past while, J - and its clearly paying off. Fair play to you, I look forward to seeing what you can do when the races get going again

Duanington wrote: »
    Super consistent training the past while, J - and its clearly paying off. Fair play to you, I look forward to seeing what you can do when the races get going again

Nice to see you back on here DD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A thing of beauty indeed, what a cracking 10m TT! You are in some shape...

Week 11 of ...

Mon: 14.1k: 1:10:27@5:00/km

Legs felt great after the previous days exertions. Whatever about anything else, the recovery gains to be made from carbon plated/magic foam shoes are huge.

Tue: 13.3k: 1:04:47 @4:53/km

Pair of Nike Wildhorse arrived in the post, so threw them on and went across the plains in them. Heavy going, the shoes not the plains that is :) nice shoe though, and will be rolled out when the terrain and conditions merit it. But not for running on a pretty firm Curragh Plains.

Wed: 17k: 1:22:58 @4:51/km

Was gonna do a session, but got a text from my erstwhile training partner who is making another mini comeback :) Did six leisurely enough miles with him and then did another five miles myself. Legs feeling good by the end and glad that I pushed the session...

Thu: Session: 5 x 2k off 2mins

Jogged down to the track for this and threw the earbuds in and just got after it. Little twinge in my glute on the 2nd rep had me momentarily worried but it went as quickly as it came. Was shifting today, but felt good for the pace that I was running at. Splits were;

6:54, 6:54, 6:53, 6:47, 6:51

Just over 10 miles all in all. Easy weekend ahead with just a vanilla 30k on the cards. Wore the flats for the above session and feeling it this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Was shifting today...

Before or after the session ;):D

Fri: 8 Miles Easy: 1:04:35 @5:01/km

Sat: 15 Miles Relaxed: 1:53:12 @4:28/km

Put this on Sat afternoon as I was having a few beers that evening with a couple of running buddies. Run felt great, but ran out of juice about 15 miles as it was quite humid, I hadn't eaten a whole lot that day and also took nothing on during the run....passed the in laws about 15 miles and decided to head in for a drink. Got there and all my gang were there with their mammy so I just had a nice coke and called it a day rather than going the extra 3 miles.

Sun - Present: Zilch. Nada. Woe is me.

Long story short, started feeling a bit ropey Sunday evening and ended up in Punchestown getting a COVID test on Monday afternoon. Felt like I'd been hit by a bus and wasn't in great shape tbh. Test came back negative yesterday morning thank god. Still not 100% but came back to work today. Will hopefully get a couple of easy runs in at the weekend.

In hindsight this was probably in the post. August was a mental month for me work wise, my sleep was at an all time low, my dietary habits really left a lot to be desired & I was training hard.

Chatted to my mate and have decided that I don't need to run a HM TT to prove that i'm in 1:17 territory and likewise with the Marathon. Gonna keep in touch with the mileage, LR's and tempo efforts and hopefully get a few races in; any distance or surface!! I'm aiming to, here we go again, run Rotterdam in the Spring. I'm just going to continue to enter these things and keep fingers crossed. I'll toe that start line eventually. Will run the 26.2 miles for my Beanie Hat in October, and may help out with pacing duties if required :)

Rotterdam.............not Manchester??

I wonder what would have a better chance of going ahead?

Maybe I'll enter both.

Well, Rotterdam, Manchester, Paris, Rome, Tailinn,Prague .....anywhere tbh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well, Rotterdam, Manchester, Paris, Rome, Tailinn,Prague .....anywhere tbh. :)

sounds like the Beautiful South Song.

• Advertisement

Completely agree about the TT - that recent 10-miler is more than enough to show you where you are and what you've been getting out of the method. Enjoy the setback.

Not a whole lot to report here. Ran twice last week and just running by feel this week. Might do a little session and a longer run this weekend but nothing planned. Will return to something like a plan next week hopefully. Hope is to be back firing on all cylinders in a couple of weeks and manage to get a couple of races in the next month or so, Road, XC..... doesnt matter. Will try and help out with pacing duties for a Virtual marathon if I'm back and feeling decent.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Completely agree about the TT - that recent 10-miler is more than enough to show you where you are and what you've been getting out of the method. Enjoy the setback.

That was supposed to read ‘enjoy the stepback’!

Fri: 8.5k: 42:18 @4:58/km

Sat: 10k: 46:58 @4:42/km

Mon: 12.4k: 57:51 @4:41/km

Tue: 11k: 48:07 @4:22/km

Wed: AM: 6.8k: 34:36 @5:08/km
    PM: 7.5k: 36:37 @4:53/km

Thu: 8.5k: 40:30 @4:45/km

Fri: 11k: 51:26 @4:41/km

Sat: 9.3k: 45:44 @4:54/km

All of the above were just on feel. Was in a foul humour Tuesday so took it out a bit harder, but the rest was all easy.

Headed out this morning with a decent 15 Mile effort in my head. Wasn't exactly sure what pace that was going to involve, but I wanted to push it if possible. Ended up feeling pretty good out there. Chose a new route which involved going across the edge of the Curragh to Kildare town and back to Newbridge via Pollardstown Fen. Bumpy fare, but nothing but good vibes in this mornings weather.

25.6k: 1:52:19 @4:24/km

Don't feel like I've lost a whole lot, and a couple of decent weeks should have me back where I was.

92k for the week. Happy enough with that. Didn't want to up mileage too quickly too soon.

Mon: 7 Miles Easy: 56:46 @5:02/km

Out in the evening, got caught a little bit and had to come off the road and run a mile on the plains before I got back to the town.

Tue: AM: 8.9k: 42:33 @4:49/km

Had a meeting thing in Naas so headed out around the Parkrun course in Naas racecourse for a few miles.

PM: 10k: 48:20 @4:50/km

Easy run after kids athletics.

Wed: 8 Miles: 1:05:47 @5:06/km inc 8 x 60secs efforts around 3:25/km.

Out with a buddy. Conned him into thinking it was an easy run and then suggested a few 60 secs efforts about 2 miles in :) he's on the comeback trail and needed an effort like this. Enjoyable. First bit of speed for a while. Felt grand.

Thu: 4 Miles: 29:33 @4:33/km

Picked up a pair of spikes, Saucony Havok XC, for my impending XC debut next Sunday. Headed out on a pretty firm Curragh plains. Not a particularly enjoyable experience! But we'll see....

5 Miles: 37:33 @4:40/km

Changed back into runners and did another 5 on the road.

Fri: 5 Miles: 37:10 @4:37/km

Bit of a shakeout before a pacing gig on Sat.

Sat: Session: 3Miles/3Miles/4Miles pacing a clubmate's HM TT.

I'd ran the 10 Mile TT with my clubmate 4 weeks back, me running 58:39 and him running 59:52. We decided we'd have a rattle off a HM in 4 weeks. Alas, i got sick a week later and then decided to can the HM TT. Aside from a quickish 16 miles last Sun and a few 60 secs efforts during the week i hadn't done a whole lot, but I said I'd try and help him and, at the same time, cobble some sort of session together for myself. On paper it actually looks like a whopper of a session but it wasn't too bad.

There was three of us helping him in the end. Two lads ran 60 mins straight with him and I dipped in and out. Planned 3x3 miles but he had 4 miles left by the time my last rep came and after he asked me to push it to 6 min miles for Miles 11&12 i could hardly leave him on his own for the last mile :)

He ended up running 1:18:58 for a big PB. My own splits for the session were 18:13 & 18:23 for the 3 mile stints and 24:01 for the 4 miles.

Was pretty happy at how comfortable I felt out there. Slightly disappointed that I didn't end up doing the HM but I called it off for the right reasons. The session was another good indicator of where I might be if I did toe the line in one.

Almost 23k for the day.

Sun:
    10 Miles: 1:12:01 @4:28/km

Made it over to the club run for a change and planned on an easier effort, but a couple of the lads were moving well and I just sort of fell in with them. Called it at 9 miles before I ended up doing something stupid and shuffled back to the car to bring up the 10.

105k for the week.

A 4k XC next weekend. What have i let myself in for....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Before or after the session ;):D

If he was running with Tang it’d a been during :)

TbL

Mon: 10K Easy: 49:22@4:56/km

Mooch around the plains listening to Runner Beans pod.

Tue: Session: 4x200,2x400,800,2x400,4x200 off 60secs

A few things cropped up that led me having to shoe horn this into a 40 minute window before I had to pick up my two lads from their Grandparents :confused:

Thought I had a pair of flats in the boot of the car but that turned to not be the case. Luckily I was in a pair of de-commissioned Epic Reacts so they would have to suffice. 1k warm up and then straight into it. Was running around the green in my Parents estate where I grew up which was a first (and a bit weird). Reps seemed slow and I didn't really feel great but, all things considered, it wasn't that bad. Had a bit of traffic problems on the 800 which fairly torpedoed that rep.

(37,39,38,37) (76,78) (2:45) (77,78) (37,39,37,36)

Obviously having done very little shorter stuff over the last while has blunted whatever bit of speed I have. Not that I'm overly bothered about it or anything, it's just the fact that I've a 4k XC to negotiate and would prefer to be sharper.

Wed: AM: 7.4k: 37:32 @5:04/km
    PM: 10.9k: 52:28 @4:49/km

Down to one car for the day so I ran in and out of work. Drenched on the way in, soaked on the way home.

Thu: 7 Miles Easy @4:50-ish.
    Strap broke on watch, so unless Amazon Prime do their thing and get a replacement to me today, then I shall be watchless on Sunday. Might not be a bad thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best of luck Sunday, ditch the watch and give it loads anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Well done today and a team medal to take home too.

• Advertisement

Fri: 8 Miles Easy: 1:00:56 @4:44/km

Headed out with a clubmate for a few miles and collected race numbers for Sunday from the club on the way around.

Sat: 7 Miles Easy: 53:31 @4:45/km

Included a few strides and a trip to Parcel Motel to collect new strap for the watch as I’d been watchless since Thursday due to a broken strap.

Sun: Kildare Novice/Master XC

Awake at 5am with the little one and couldn’t get back asleep, so went for a couple of easy miles (@5:10/km) and then watched some of the women’s race from London whilst having breakfast. Clubmate collected me and we headed to Coolcarrig House and Gardens.

Weather was grim and didn’t improve at all really. Watched the ladies start and then headed for a couple of km up and down the drive into the venue before changing into the spikes and headed for a warm up lap of the course (1500m). About 20m into the warm up lap I knew I was going to be under pressure!! The surface was really uneven, lots of grass and some fairly tightish (for me) corners. For a split second I considered feigning injury and pulling out, but that passed quickly :) I was worried now however and whatever confidence I had was quickly dwindling.

Off we went and it was pretty hot at the start, but I’m well up there and not feeling too bad. Coming into the first corner a couple of guys get the inside line on me and pass me. I sort of stumble on an uneven patch of ground and my momentum is lost a little. The only real guides I had were my own clubmates and a few heads who I knew from races. I figured to be about #3 in our club pecking order, the top two guys being a bit out of my reach at the moment. I was, however, passed by another club mate about 1km in and the lead pack, featuring a couple of guys who I’ve been around and beaten in races, was disappearing quickly.

The weather is atrocious and I just can’t get going at all. There was a couple of flatter sections that I was able to get a bit of a push going but my clubmate ahead of me is pulling away steadily. I’m sort of in no-mans-land now and when the 2nd km beeps, I only had distance showing on the watch, I can’t believe were only half way through! The rest of the race is really just me clinging on. Another clubmate passes me about 3km and tries to encourage me to go with him, but I’m not able to. I know now that I’m in the last scoring place for the Novice team and that another couple of guys are hot on my heels. It was just a case of digging in now and not letting anymore clubmates past! I knew we were gonna win the Novice Team and I wanted a medal, no matter how poorly I might be performing. Held off a couple of teams mates and crossed the line in 14:54. Splits were 3:39,3:49,3:54,3:55.

The team won the Novice and I sneaked on to the scoring with 10th place. Didn’t make the 3 scorers for the Masters ☹

I’d no real expectations coming in, although I did suspect that XC might not be for me. The splits were poor and I should have been faster, but that’s based on what I have done on the road. XC is a different kettle of fish and I didn’t really show anything. It really just boiled down to the surface and my own misgivings and lack of confidence with my knee. If the venue was the Curragh or something then I could have a decent run, but not the terrain on Sunday. Intermediates is on next week but I didn’t enter. There’s nothing that makes me think I could improve on yesterday’s performance and I’d prefer to get back training hard on the roads. Gonna sit down and figure out a plan from now until the New Year. Nothing like a poor display to sharpen the mind :)

Advertisement