Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done on the medal J despite not enjoying the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well done J. Sounds like you had similar experience to me. By the end of my first (and last) XC season I think I realised I'm a rhythm runner more suited to roads (and maybe track). I like to get into a groove on the road and you just can't do that in XC. I do get why people love it though. I think you need to be a certain style of runner to really enjoy it. I felt like I had to like it as most of the decent runners I know all have a solid background in XC. But i just dont think its for me.
    Early days for you though. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I think you're being very harsh on yourself J,

All I took from that was that you were f*cked and hung on to cling on to your position....that's what is all about really.

I wouldn't look at the splits for a second, you'll drive yourself nuts as you cannot compare the structure of a road race or session with that of an XC race.

Hope you go back to it at some stage as I think you'll learn something here, I also think a 5 mile xc race would suit you very well

Well done on the bling, that was hard earned - fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

healy1835 wrote: »
    Nothing like a poor display to sharpen the mind :)

I wish that was true of the Manchester United defence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Well done on getting stuck in and on the silverware.

It sounds like your mind's made up but I'd echo almost everything Duanington posted. I do xc because I think it helps my running (and I'm very much a rhythm runner!) and I enjoy the opportunity to race without the pressure of time or splits - or even expectations of placing - but if you don't see yourself getting enthusiastic about trying it again, then it's probably fair enough to concentrate on what does get you out and running.

Well done again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Cheers for the advice gents (particularly the grizzled XC vets :)). I'll give it another rattle at some stage I'm sure, but I really think it will be course dependant. It's more psychological than anything I reckon, but i just can't get comfortable or commit on the sort of course that was there on Sunday. That's what a couple of ACL injuries and surgery does I suppose.

I really didn't have any preconceived notions of times or splits going in..... Its just that some guys I know were ALOT closer to their splits on the road than I was, which made me feel like I did underperform in that respect.

Need to refocus now. Have been arsing around since I was sick after the 10 Mile TT. Gonna get a plan down on paper to bring me up to the New Year. The restrictions are just grim at the moment. Hard to see a big race at the end of the tunnel which is depressing. Planned on a longer effort yesterday but ended up not running at all because of some family stuff which never helps the humour!

Would this go ahead if Rotterdam didn't??

Would this go ahead if Rotterdam didn't??

It’s the only marathon currently open for registration over here, might be an option if Rotterdam falls by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Cheers for the advice gents (particularly the grizzled XC vets :)). I'll give it another rattle at some stage I'm sure, but I really think it will be course dependant. It's more psychological than anything I reckon, but i just can't get comfortable or commit on the sort of course that was there on Sunday. That's what a couple of ACL injuries and surgery does I suppose.

I really didn't have any preconceived notions of times or splits going in..... Its just that some guys I know were ALOT closer to their splits on the road than I was, which made me feel like I did underperform in that respect.

Need to refocus now. Have been arsing around since I was sick after the 10 Mile TT. Gonna get a plan down on paper to bring me up to the New Year. The restrictions are just grim at the moment. Hard to see a big race at the end of the tunnel which is depressing. Planned on a longer effort yesterday but ended up not running at all because of some family stuff which never helps the humour!

From another XC vet (not too grizzled looking yet, just old!) :D

That was an excellent debut, I would be far from despondent after a performance like that in my first outing.

Times on the road <> XC times :D
    It took me a while to get used to that one, plus there's a few people I normally beat in XC who would be better than me on the road (and vice versa) - horses for courses, to use that analogy.

Fully refocussed, who knows what you might achieve next time out? Agreed regarding lack of races, frustrating to put it mildly.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

I did manage to get out a little earlier than planned today after a trying enough day in work, and on a bit of a whim, decided a good steady effort would suffice. Headed to my trusty bog lockdown loop and set off. Got to 10k, decided I'd keep going to 10 miles as the sun was shining and the tunes were pumping. Got to 10 miles and figured one more loop would get me a steady HM. Finished up with

Tue: 21.1k: 1:26:47 @4:07/km.

Enjoyed that. Got Sunday's frustrations out of the system anyway :)

Wed: AM: 7.5k: 40:22 @5:24/km
    PM: 8.2k: 42:10 @5:07/km

Thu: 7 Miles: 57:56 @5:08/km

Fri: 10k: 48:55 @4:53/km

Sat: 11k: 52:30 @4:46/km

All the above were varying degrees of easy after my impromptu steady HM exertions. Didn't really pay a whole lot of attention to the pace on any of them.

Sun: LR 26k: 1:43:37 @3:59/km
    (8x2k off 1k float)

General-ish idea was MP - 10secs per mile for the 2k and +30secs per mile for the float. I'm either going to do the virtual DCM or run 20 miles @ sub 3 with a chap, so I wanted a hard effort to make sure I was still in touch with a longer effort. Took to the Lidl loop and after a 2k warm up getting there, a bit of stretching, water depositing and brain composing I set off. Felt strong on the 2k efforts and the float, whilst pretty bloody steady, did feel like I was recovering for the next 2k effort.

Averaged 3:49/km for the 2k efforts and 4:12/km for the float recoveries. Working hard by the end but really happy to crack this one out. Haven't lost a huge amount since the height of my Marathon training going on that workout.

60 Miles for the week off 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Smashing run today

Sitting down at my desk and realising that I'm running a marathon in 12 days time :D It's obviously not a big deal but I'd still like to have a decent outing. Must actually figure out what I'll do over the next week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sitting down at my desk and realising that I'm running a marathon in 12 days time :D It's obviously not a big deal but I'd still like to have a decent outing. Must actually figure out what I'll do over the next week.....

ahem.........

K.I.P. has me covered. Cheers A :)

Virtual DCM Week 1 of 2 :D:D

Mon: 11k: Recovery: 58:36 @5:19/km

Ambled around town listening to the latest Runner Beans pod.

Tue: 8 Miles Easy: 1:05:48 @5:06/km

More of the same.

Wed: Session: 1T/2MP/1T/2MP/1T

Asked AMK to give me a couple of sessions to do in the lead up to next Sunday and he obliged with this one. I made the mistake of aiming for my own threshold pace (5:52) and then sub 3 marathon pace (6:50). I found it too difficult to return to 6:50 pace for the 2 mile sections so ended up with the following splits (5:50/13:18/5:52/13:05/5:50). Felt like a tank during this one. Threw on my new Next%'s, which were in cold storage for Manchester and then Amsterdam :eek:, to break them in for next Sunday. Always a boost to run in new kicks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Good luck J. What's the target for this?

MY BAD wrote: »
    Good luck J. What's the target for this?

Will head out at Sub 3 pace and see how things develop. Should manage that without too much fuss... But all the usual Marathon disclaimers will still apply. Just looking to put a good effort in and have a bit of craic with a couple of clubmates. I couldn't get my head around trying to PB in a marathon TT, but after the couple of training blocks I've put in, I feel like I have to spend a little of the savings! Will try and stay discipined....but my marathon PB is relatively soft
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fook you and your handy sub 3. :)

That’s some people’s life’s ambition you know, just ask Tang :)

I ran some very small marathon events in decent times (for me).

It’s great if you have one or two around you but really it’s all about focus.

Good luck

TbL

• Advertisement

That’s some people’s life’s ambition you know, just ask Tang :)

Here I’m not the one who made up some fake injury just to make up for the fact I wasn’t up to running sub 3 after 10,000 marathons like you.......

OOnegative wrote: »
    Here I’m not the one who made up some fake injury just to make up for the fact I wasn’t up to running sub 3 after 10,000 marathons like you.......

It was only 9,212, watch of for the resurrection on # 9,213 :)

Get back to your sweating :)

TbL

Fook you and your handy sub 3. :)

..... but really it’s all about focus.

TbL

I don't want to misrepresent myself now! I'm not taking anything for granted, I've never ran a marathon and not tried to PB, so it'll be a new experience. Sub 3 is still hard earned so I'll have to keep that focus alright :) thanks pal. Hopefully you get on the start line of another one for a crack at the holy grail :cool:

I don't want to misrepresent myself now! I'm not taking anything for granted, I've never ran a marathon and not tried to PB, so it'll be a new experience. Sub 3 is still hard earned so I'll have to keep that focus alright :) thanks pal. Hopefully you get on the start line of another one for a crack at the holy grail :cool:

Only winding you up ya big sausage :)

You’ll smash sub 3 unless disaster strikes!

Just don’t make the novice mistake of going out to hard, although you should be able to pace yourself better given there’ll be no mad crowd adrenaline rush

Enjoy it

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of Luck the weekend J :)

Very best of Luck the weekend J :)

Lambay Island is the only one out this weekend :) I'm holding out another week for a beanie hat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Lambay Island is the only one out this weekend :) I'm holding out another week for a beanie hat...

I've paid up for the virtual one. Are you telling me I won't get a beanie if I don't submit a time :(

Wonder if I change entry to Fingal 4 miler and do an easy run. I want that beanie.

I've paid up for the virtual one. Are you telling me I won't get a beanie if I don't submit a time :(

Wonder if I change entry to Fingal 4 miler and do an easy run. I want that beanie.

I've a couple of beanie-related worries at the moment D.....The first one is are they gonna send me the hat anyway, regardless of whether I run the bloody thing! In which case, why am I running it at all? :D

Secondly, I've a sinking feeling that it won't be like the last couple of years' hats as they aren't actually beanies are they? More of bobble hat I think. In which case, why am I running it at all!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Ah I see, you are doing the right thing, has to be some reward at the end of it :D

I'll hold my good luck wishes till next week so ;)

Yep it's a hat with a bobble!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Considering your session last week and your "difficulty" to return to 6:50 pace between 2MILE reps.. I'd say you could cruise at 6:50 for 2 hours, then wind it up all the way home.

Enjoy! Bar a disaster or biting off more than you can chew too early, a PR Beckons :)

Advertisement