Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Sat: 12.2k: 1:01:12 @5:01/km

Vanilla run in most aspects, but I did find myself thinking about just how fresh I was feeling at one stage. Which, you know, was a positive considering I'd upped the mileage a bit this week :)

Sun: 30k :o 2:15:34@4:29/km inc 16 Miles on/off.

My regular training partner is on the way back and picking up some steam, and the 3rd member of our little group is hoping to break sub 3 when normality returns. I'm not doing big LR sessions atm so it actually suits me to do a session geared towards them and get a steady-ish LR workout in whilst doing the pacing duties for the lads. I get a great buzz out of it as well.

Sunday was a great morning. 30k didn't really feel that much of a departure from recent 15/16 milers. The 8 x mile on averaged out about 6:33 and felt very comfortable.

119k for the week.

Mon: 15.7km: 1:19:33 @5:04/km

Regular Monday shuffle listening to Runner Beans before the sh1t hit the fan as regards school opening up. After the last 48 hrs I don't really want to talk about it anymore! I'll leave it at simply describing it as the toughest couple of days work I've put in whilst in the job.

Tue: Ha! Making it through the day was a major victory. No running.

Wed: 19.4k: 1:29:15 @4:36/km

Wrapped a few bits in school and headed out into the elements with the sole plan of just clearing the head. Threw a couple of podcasts on and the guts of 90 mins later, got back to work an altogether happier individual. This running lark has it's benefits at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yeah it really is a shambles, for us parents but I can only imagine what it's like from your end. My son was in the category to go back tomorrow & it was a huge relief for both me & him. The homeschooling has been a lot tougher this time around...but alas no i've had to tell him we are waiting to hear again. Hopefully something can be resolved soon enough. I'm sure all those runs were very much appreciated this week :)

Thu: 10 Miles: 1:07:50 @4:13/km inc 6@MP (37:22).

Took to the bog loop for this one which would ensure an honest effort all the way around. Threw on the Speeds, they're already my favourite shoe, and took it on. First couple of miles saw me really not feeling it. A couple of MP sessions lately have seen me in good fettle, this on the other hand was a struggle early on. 6:09, 6:15, 6:17 were first three splits, the first mile being favourable in both elevation and wind direction. After the 3rd I'm lamenting my decision to run that 20k the previous day :) However, a cracker of a tune kicked in at the start of the 4th mile (Skip to the End by The Futureheads) and suddenly I feel like a new man, 6:12. Finish off with 6:16 & 6:13 miles, feeling a lot more positive about things!

Fri: 11.6k: 57:30 @4:58/km

Couple of laps of the Lidl loop listening to Ciara Mageann on Second Captains. Heart wrenching stuff, but delivered with such sincerity that it was quite an emotional listen.
    On a related note, Djemba Djemba's post on the Jerry Kiernan thread just further enhanced the genuineness of the man.
    My abiding memory of him as a pundit, unfortunately I wasn't really about for his running career, was the late great Bill O'Herlihy asking him before a final in a major championships (can't recall the race or the distance) 'I presume we're looking at a Kenyan 1-2-3 here Jerry?' to which he got the reply, 'I doubt it Bill, there's only two of them in the race' :)

Sat: 13.1k: 1:04:56 @4:58/km

Planned a little fartlek session, but a tradesman related delay meant i didn't get out til late enough, so just went for an easy trot. First couple of miles with my two young lads.

Sun: 28.7k: 2:07:17 @4:26/km inc 5k/4k/3k/2k/1k off 5/4/3/2/1 min. Efforts were all around sub 3 pace or a little faster.

As I said last week, I've done the last few LRs with a mate who's looking to break 3 hours next time out, so I suggested a km version of the much vaunted MP workout. Planned on a couple of bog loops to start before heading down to Lidl loop to finish, but warming up around the bog loop, it became clear prettt quickly that there was too much snow on the surface, so we just skipped the bog and headed for the Lidl loop. Run was really enjoyable and I much prefer doing something like that than just a vanilla run at a similar average pace.

105k for the week off 6 days.

Officially back on plan next week.

You wouldn't be too confident of any return to racing by the Autumn would you? *sighs long and defeatedly. Maybe a scaled down National Marathon Championship run off the GFA standards that DCM were in the process of introducing last year could be some sort of option. But how and ever, still gonna plan year around peaking for an October marathon, just probably not Amsterdam by the looks of things.

Picked up another pair of Endorphin Speeds today. Had a Run Hub voucher that Santa brought and was waiting for them to restock. Thought about the Endorphin Pro but there's no racing happening anytime soon and there's a new model coming out in the summer... and also the fact that I've a pair of Next %'s that I've worn twice alongside a brand spanking new pair still in the box under the bed :)

Anybody any experience with New Balance returns? Those Speedrift I picked up have a bit of issue with one of the toe boxes. A bit of the hard lining is protruding back in a sort of 'v' shape and really making things uncomfortable. Only 20k on them. Emailed NB today. Hoping they're as unquestioning as Nike are about these sort of things.

Mon: 12.2k: 1:02:50 @5:10/km

Had a few beers the previous afternoon/evening watching various sports, so really had to resist the urge to stay on the couch for this one...

Tue: 11 Miles: 1:26:12 @4:51/km

Just miles.

Wed: 3x2 Miles @ Threshold: 11:44, 11:43 & ??:??

Watch died on the final rep of this one. Was feeling pretty good on the 3rd one so I'm relatively confident I kept it in the same region as the previous two. Scaldy enough evening on the loop in the Camp after a couple of meetings ran over time, so was happy enough to feel decent during this.

10 Miles in all. Give or take.

Thu: 15km: 1:12:53 @4:51/km

Finding it easy to get out the door at the moment. Mileage is appealing to me right now and just wanna keep building my strength. Mate trying to PB in the Virtual Raheny at the weekend, 29:xx so I've volunteered my pacing services and signed up too. It'll double as a 5 Mile tempo for me. I've ran a marathon for a bobble hat in recent times, so I could hardly turn my nose up at this one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be too confident of any return to racing by the Autumn would you?

I know - its very demotivating isn't it.

I don't think we'll have big city marathons this year - at least not for 'foreign' participants, but do think we'll see some local races on the 'closed circuits' - Mondello type events.

Something to keep an eye on are the events up North - the Downroyal events had some cracking races during lockdown, while nothing was happening here.

I'm less enthusiastic about Berlin going ahead this year for me - I believe it'll be a scaled down event, for locals only.

Thinking of throwing my name into San Seb in late November - that could be late enough to allow mass participation.

All we can do is train enough to get faster, but not too much that we get burned out.

Is it too early to start training for Manchester in 2022??

Thu: 15k Easy: 1:12:53 @4:51/km

Easy miles around the bog listening to the latest takes on how my beloved Red Devils are, in fact, a bit shi1te after all.

Fri: 60 Mins Boards January Challenge attempt: 59:52

I'd somehow managed to miss this thread for the entire month of January and only saw it the day before. This left me with only Friday to have a go at it. Hanging around (again) for a tradesman to come to the house meant I didn't get out until near 6pm.

The pace was obviously the key factor here, but I'd planned a 12k route and was hoping to shuffle around at about 5min kms. As the run went on, i was feeling a bit low on energy due to not having eaten a whole pile during the day and was plodding a bit. I also had to slow at a few crossings and roads, so I turned back for home a little earlier than planned as the planned 12k would have left me a good bit over the hour, or so I reckoned.

Got back to front door and stopped the watch.....59:52! I think the key was picking a route that you were familiar with. I knew every little distance and was able to gauge it correctly as to when to turn for home when it became obvious I wasn't on 5min pace.

Fair play to Shotgun for taking it on himself to add a bit of craic. Will be interesting to see what's next up. Might be having a craic at a 34min 10k in Feb, but I'm assuming it won't be that straightforward. I'm gonna suggest a good old Royal Flush as one of the monthly challenges. My 15 Miler was one of my favourite lockdown runs last year :)

Sat: Raheny 5 Mile Virtual: 29:31

As i mentioned, I'd a mate doing this as a time trial and hoping to break 30 mins, so it was an opportunity to lend a hand, get in a 5mile tempo and, most importantly, add to my collection of running hats.

Weather was suitably horrendous, but I'd prepared for it like a race; no caffeine at all leading up to it, in bed early night before, plenty of fluids, up early decent breakfast and just bringing some good vibes to the morning :)

Even though I'd close to 50 miles in the legs, I was feeling fresh and looking forward to it. Weather was terrible but I wasn't racing and did everything I could to make light of it and convince my mate that it wouldn't be a factor :)

Plan was to bring us through 3 miles close to 18 mins, maybe a little under but nothing nuts. We'd assess then how he was feeling and if dialling things up was an option.

Came through 3 miles in 17:52, and in pretty good nick. Upped it a little coming home and closed out with a 5:38 for a 29:31 finishing time. My mate was delighted and I got a great buzz out of it and felt really comfortable to boot.

Bout 10 miles for the day.

Sunday: 24.5k: 1:56:50 @4:46/km

Vanilla LR with my newly minted 5 Mile PB training buddy. Chats helped distract from the crap weather.

113k for the week.

Mon: 10 Miles Easy: 1:19:06 @4:55/km

Usual Monday shuffle around the bog. Listened to Michael McKillop interview on Runner Beans pod. Inspiring listen so it was. There was also a few seconds there when I thought AMK had won another prize but that wasn't to be :)

Tue: 15k Easy: 1:11:32 @4:46/km

Easy miles around the town on another scaldy day out there. Weather would be grimming you out lately.

Wed: MLR 14 Miles: 1:36:34 @4:17/km

Now that I'm back on plan, we've added in a steady MLR every two weeks into the mix. Today's was 14 Miles @6:55 and I'm happy to report that I really enjoyed it. Was in work for 6am and got a good bit out of the way before I set off towards the racecourse and then in the back of Kildare town before returning to the Curragh. Bumpy enough route, but I dialled into the pace very early on and the miles passed by quickly. Managed to get out during the only couple of hours sunshine that we had today too which was a nice bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's a hell of a MLR. Nice pace.

Good man - I was half way through RB when you texted me about it - even so, when I listened to the rest of it, I still thought it was me!

That MLR is pure gold - I've been re-reading Pfitzingers book recently and those MLR's stand out as something I'm missing that could help with the cramping issue I have.
    My Berlin plan (assuming it goes ahead) - is an abridged Plan with aspects of JD/NAZ and these MLRs.

• Advertisement

So what's the thinking behind the new plan?

Give us the philosophy, the thought process, the goals and milestones along the way.

So what's the thinking behind the new plan?

Give us the philosophy, the thought process, the goals and milestones along the way.

You're presuming that I asked questions and/or took any notes during the conversation :D Goal is to get to June as strong as possible. There will be a few bits along the way to keep things/me fresh and motivated, but reaching the start of the Amsterdam/Next Marathon block in as strong as possible shape is the goal. Upping mileage, steady LR's and decent tempos would seem to be key pillars, but as you know, I don't over analyse these things and just run what I'm given :)

Thu: 13.2k: 1:06:57 @5:03/km

Didn't get out until the evening but had a bit of company which made all the difference. Tired by the end.

Fri: 12k: 59:01 @4:55/km

Small window for this one, but I wasn't too bothered as I had to bring LR forward to Sat, so a shorter run was probably appreciated by the legs.

Sat: Long Run: 20 Miles: 2:14:48 @4:11/km

Plan was for 3/5/4/5/3 mile efforts with the two 5's being 'on' @6:30 pace and the 'off' coming in at 7:00 pace :o 'should feel pleasantly tired but not wrecked after' was the accompanying advice!

Hmmmed and hawed about the route. I don't like Saturday long runs at the best of times, due to traffic both on the roads and footpath, and also the amount of surface water on the roads didn't help. Set off around the bog loop, which despite it's more bumpy terrain, would be quieter.

Threw on my new pair of Endorphin Speeds straight out of the box for this one. My other ones don't even have a 100k in them, but they're white and these are black, so I'll put the others away for the summer :) first 3 miles came in at 20:49, a little quick but not too bad. Had to take an, ahem, pit stop during these miles but the bog had a plentiful supply of dock leaves so all was ok in the end. Settled into the 5 mile effort and although the route and breeze made consistent 6:30's a non runner, i had the workout set up on the Garmin so it showed the average pace for each step which I prefer. On that note, i found the 20 miles pass quicker, no pun intended, as I only had 3 fields on the screen; step distance remaining, step time & step pace. First 5 miles on came in at 32:21, ranging from 6:36 to 6:19.

Made the terrible decision to head towards the Lidl loop during the 4 miles off section. Was getting a bit bored in the bog and the camber, which isn't great at the best of times, was made trickier with puddles etc. 4 miles came in at 27:53, and now I was heading for the loop and realising that the breeze was strong enough and I prob should have stayed in the bog.

2nd mile of the on effort was into the breeze and came in at 6:37. Loads of trucks and traffic on loop was bothering me so when I came to the end of the loop I decided to keep going back towards town and head for my house. 5 miles came in at 32:33 which I was pretty happy with. What I wasn't so happy about was that I was near my house but still had another 3 miles to do :( turned around and trudged towards the town deciding to do a loop around the town which is pretty much 3 miles. This was another bad decision as for some reason the traffic and crowds was like something you'd see on Christmas Eve. Finished the 3 miles in 21:01 but they felt a lot slower!

First 20 miler for a while and pretty happy with how things felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Quality stuff, you're in great shape.

You're presuming that I asked questions and/or took any notes during the conversation :D Goal is to get to June as strong as possible. There will be a few bits along the way to keep things/me fresh and motivated, but reaching the start of the Amsterdam/Next Marathon block in as strong as possible shape is the goal. Upping mileage, steady LR's and decent tempos would seem to be key pillars, but as you know, I don't over analyse these things and just run what I'm given :)

That's a great answer.
    You're certainly in superb shape - the aim should be to build slowly and not burn out - (I reckon).
    That session above certainly has some progressions that you can do with it - the on/off can change - the pace for on/off can change - its a super session.

I think I'm in the same boat regarding 'the plan'
    I found that running without a plan is not suitable to me.
    I tend to do the things I like and avoid the things I don't like.

The last 3-4 weeks - I'm being constructive in my plan and my goals center around certain training parameters that I want to hit along the way.

My next 6 week block will certainly be more aggressive, not 100% sure what format it will take - but I'm loving the flexibility and range that the current 6 week block gives me.

You are certainly a step above right now - but I hope to bridge some of that gap soon :):)

Sun: 10.5k Recovery: 54:05 @5:08/km

Had a few beers watching United the night before. *sighs slowly. Got out late enough and then wanted to get back for Rugby so was happy enough to leave it shorter than planned.

121k for the week

Mon: 14.7k: 1:13:49 @5:01/km

Non descript run around the town listening to Gary Crossan on Runner Beans.

Tue: 15.5k: 1:14:58 @4:50/km

Had to pop into work for a few mins to do a couple of small bits so ran in and out. Weather was grim enough but body felt pretty good.

Wed: MLR: 14 Miles: 1:34:01 @4:10/km

Decided to do a few loops in the Camp and then head out for a small route around the plains for this one to try and avoid the frozen tundra that is the Curragh whenever an easterly wind blows in the winter.

Plan was for 6:50's but the workout didn't really go to plan as I just found it difficult to get to that mark. First couple came in at 6:37 and 6:33, owing a lot to the fact that I spent much of them fustering with an under armour baselayer I'd on which was irritating me. So after those miles, i stopped and quickly changed out of the baselayer but left on the jacket, hat and gloves (by the end all 3 had been dumped and i was in short sleeves!)

Felt a lot better and tried to slow things down but I was feeling too good and decided to not pay a whole lot of attention to the watch. Stayed on the loop until about 7 miles and then headed out around roads for about 4 miles before finishing off with a couple of decent climbs back into the camp and a final loop to bring up the 14 miles.

Ended up averaging 6:43/mile and to be honest, it was one of the easiest workouts I've ever put in. Was one of those days I suppose. Tipping along nicely.

Thu: 14.6k: 1:12:58 @4:58/km

Cold, windy, sleety run.

Fri: 13.1k: 1:03:38 @4:51/km

Managed to take another tumble about 3k into this run :o Was chuckling along to something on Second Captains when I clipped something and went down hard on my left side. I'd hasten to call how I exited the fall a 'tumble', but I managed to 'tumble' out and leave myself with a scraped thigh and hand and banged up hip and elbow, all on the left side.

Happened near the edge of the Curragh whilst crossing a motorway slip road but there was thankfully no cars or, more importantly, witnesses :) Took a couple of minutes to check systems, and set off again. That's the second one in a few months, sort of need to cut them out!

Sat: 13.6k: 1:06:14 @4:52/km

The wind and rain was pretty ugh for this, but got it in and legs (and body) felt fairly fresh so I was happy enough.

Sun: 20 Miles Steady: 2:16:58 @4:15/km

There was a slightly more elaborate LR planned but with the weather conditions that awaited outside, it was decided to scrap that and just try and average around 6:50 for the 20 miles. Decided to hit my trusty bog loop which despite it's few tricky drags would give me (a little) protection from the elements.

The loop is about 5k and is 700m from my house so the plan was to do 6 and try and average 6:50 pace for each of loop and then throw in a couple of extra little bits here and there to make sure I wasn't adding in stupid little bits at the end of the run as I knew it would be a grind.

Long run short, I got it finished. Grim enough morning though. The wind direction couldn't have been worse for the loop as the long 600m drag was straight into breeze and by the 6th lap I was pretty sick of it......but all's well that ends well. Was feeling crap about 16-18k in and considered capping it at 15/16 miles, but ran through that and felt pretty good over the last couple of loops.

126k for the week.

Savage running - its as if your training for something!

was the 20 miler solo??

Savage running - its as if your training for something!

was the 20 miler solo??

Yep, solo, apart from the banging tunes!

Was pretty impressed when I saw that 20 miler on Strava. Put my session into perspective that's for sure. Haha.

Speaking of banging tunes I badly need to update my mp3 player.

• Advertisement

Mon: 12k Recovery: 1:04:45 @5:23/km

Felt a bit beaten up after previous days exploits in the elements. Capped run at 12k and called into my parents :)

Tue: 10 Miles Easy: 1:19:08 @4:55/km

Got out in the morning and was feeling tired by the end. Poor night's sleep didn't help matters. Had an Epsom salt bath in the afternoon and hit the hay at 7pm with our youngest lady :) . Said I'd make a call on the following day's session when I got up the next day.....

Wed:.... and woke up a new man, so plowed ahead with the session.

19.4k: 1:17:59 @4:01/km

Session: 2Miles wu/ 6x1 Mile @5:45 off 3 mins recovery/2 miles c/d

Finished up my workload in the school early enough so I threw on the Streaks and hit the track for the first time this year. Just felt like a change more than anything else.

Felt like a tank during this session. Was having to rein things in on a couple of reps to hold close to 5:45 pace. The 3 min recoveries were averaging under 4:30/km and, apart from my watch dying at end of the 5th rep and having to use Strava on the phone, everything went pretty much to plan. Mile splits were 5:45, 5:44, 5:43, 5:44, 5:42, 5:45. Enjoyed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice. What a great session. It's amazing to think you used to be slower than me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That’s a tremendous session

The progress you’ve made has been incredible

I reckon you bash out some savage race times soon

TbL

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice. What a great session. It's amazing to think you used to be slower than me! :pac:

I hope I'm still banging out sessions like you are when I reach your category D :)

You have no idea how jealous I am that you could fall asleep that early!

Great session, your training is great to follow.

That’s a tremendous session

The progress you’ve made has been incredible

I reckon you bash out some savage race times soon

TbL

Yeah touch wood. Feel like a bit of a breakthrough is on the cards but, like everyone else, just have to keep the head down and come out of this ready to go :) Scullion was talking the other week on his podcast about how fitness needs to meet opportunity...

You have no idea how jealous I am that you could fall asleep that early!

Great session, your training is great to follow.

A very rare occurrence! Just the body reminding me to look after it a bit more :)

PS. You're almost as famous as AMK in the running podcast world now....

A very rare occurrence! Just the body reminding me to look after it a bit more :)

PS. You're almost as famous as AMK in the running podcast world now....

Haha I genuinely do be in stiches laughing at them! Bet Sonia O'Sullivan doesn't follow AMK on Strava ;)

Thu: 14 Miles MLR: 1:36:09 @6:52/mile

Plan was to keep things between 6:50 & 7:00 per mile. It's been a while since I did back to back session/LR and hadn't done it midweek before. I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel after yesterday's exploits, but was happy to wake up and find the body in decent fettle.

Headed out to the bog and did two longer (and harder) loops and a regular loops. Run passed without anything too exciting happening. Felt really good, prob the best I've felt on the 3 MLRs of the the last 3 weeks. Really liking the Endorphin Speeds on these longer efforts too. A very nice shoe.

Couple of easy days now before a hefty enough LR effort on Sunday :)

• Advertisement

Really liking the Endorphin Speeds on these longer efforts too. A very nice shoe.

Would love a pair :D:D:D

Advertisement