Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »
    Scullion was talking the other week on his podcast about how fitness needs to meet opportunity...

that line was Gold for me - really made me think about my training differently.

Would love a pair :D:D:D

they're not 'all that'

Zoom flys are better imo - especially if its wet/damp out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

they're not 'all that'

Zoom flys are better imo - especially if its wet/damp out :P

I really couldn't disagree more! Zoom Flys feel like bricks in comparison. Maybe I got a dud pair or something.....

Now I'm thinking that if I like the Speed so much, maybe I should pick up a pair of Pro's. It IS my birthday in a couple of weeks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

The Pro are special....

Fri: 11.3k Recovery: 58:42 @5:11/km

Grand stretch in the evenings so there is :)

Sat: 10.4k Easy: 51:26 @4:56/km

At one stage during this run, when I'd left the camp and headed out across the plains for a couple of k, I jad my two hands in front of the right side of my face to shield me from the driving rain. Grim conditions. Planned on 9 miles but ended up chatting to someone for 15 mins and couldn't be bothered making up the distance.

Sun: LR: 16 Miles: 1:42:24 @3:58/km

This was down on the plan as 16miles at 2:50 pace (4:02/km or 6:29/mile). It's funny, I've never ran 16 miles at that pace before but I wasn't too concerned about it leading into the run which is probably a good sign of where my head is at right now.

When this popped up on my plan, I suggested to my mate, who had a bad HM TT experience before Christmas but would be looking to go sub 85/84, that he should join me as we'd be good company for each other. I look after his training plan so I doorstepped him with this run during the week in order to not let him get too worked up about the TT which he had done before Christmas.

Plan was to run 3 miles on my todd, touch base with him and then out for the 13.1.

Went up to the trusty TT venue of the Camp loop and, despite a horrendus night's sleep and running a few minutes late, I got my warm up in and almost 3 miles before I met with Ferg.

Happy to say that everything went to plan, well by going to plan I mean he had a big PB, 1:23:04. My run was a bit faster but it felt at just the right effort levels. I'd 60 miles in the legs prior to starting, but the pace felt pretty manageable and certainly felt a good bit below MP effort which bodes well. Ended up averaging 6:23/mile but that was bumped up a bit from the last few miles where I was encouraging F to squeeze a bit more juice, which he did with 6:19, 6:20, 6:23, 6:18 & 6:08.

Quite the week, with the back to back efforts on Wed & Thu and then today's run.

Wu & Cd brought up 123/km for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fri: 11.3k Recovery: 58:42 @5:11/km

Grand stretch in the evenings so there is :)

Sat: 10.4k Easy: 51:26 @4:56/km

At one stage during this run, when I'd left the camp and headed out across the plains for a couple of k, I jad my two hands in front of the right side of my face to shield me from the driving rain. Grim conditions. Planned on 9 miles but ended up chatting to someone for 15 mins and couldn't be bothered making up the distance.

Sun: LR: 16 Miles: 1:42:24 @3:58/km

This was down on the plan as 16miles at 2:50 pace (4:02/km or 6:29/mile). It's funny, I've never ran 16 miles at that pace before but I wasn't too concerned about it leading into the run which is probably a good sign of where my head is at right now.

When this popped up on my plan, I suggested to my mate, who had a bad HM TT experience before Christmas but would be looking to go sub 85/84, that he should join me as we'd be good company for each other. I look after his training plan so I doorstepped him with this run during the week in order to not let him get too worked up about the TT which he had done before Christmas.

Plan was to run 3 miles on my todd, touch base with him and then out for the 13.1.

Went up to the trusty TT venue of the Camp loop and, despite a horrendus night's sleep and running a few minutes late, I got my warm up in and almost 3 miles before I met with Ferg.

Happy to say that everything went to plan, well by going to plan I mean he had a big PB, 1:23:04. My run was a bit faster but it felt at just the right effort levels. I'd 60 miles in the legs prior to starting, but the pace felt pretty manageable and certainly felt a good bit below MP effort which bodes well. Ended up averaging 6:23/mile but that was bumped up a bit from the last few miles where I was encouraging F to squeeze a bit more juice, which he did with 6:19, 6:20, 6:23, 6:18 & 6:08.

Quite the week, with the back to back efforts on Wed & Thu and then today's run.

Wu & Cd brought up 123/km for the week.

Probably the biggest compliment I could give you is you’re the current Boards Krusty. Your progress has been immense and your times continue to drop. Well done

TbL

Probably the biggest compliment I could give you is you’re the current Boards Krusty. Your progress has been immense and your times continue to drop. Well done

TbL

Thanks for that C, but I've a way to go yet before any comparisons like that. But.....hopefully by year's end it mightn't look as fanciful.

The prospect of you getting to a stage where you think that a sub 3 attempt is a runner is truly inspirational :)

You just need to go back to page 1 of this log to see how far you've come. Targeting 72min for Frank Duffy!

That long run was phenomenal.

TbL
    You just need to go back to page 1 of this log to see how far you've come. Targeting 72min for Frank Duffy!

That long run was phenomenal.
    Thanks for that C, but I've a way to go yet before any comparisons like that. But.....hopefully by year's end it mightn't look as fanciful.

)

I would certainly agree with this - KC had a lot of races to back up his training and inform his training - you've been doing it blindly.

You're really a step (or 2) above most people here - (Zico/DR being 2 exception's).

The way your training has gone is a product not only of a great coach - but also by the fact that you trust him 110% and have bought into his 'ways' - that's gold these days.

Couple that with solid consistent execution, the road to higher mileage with young kids and a very stressful job................

God I hate you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I would certainly agree with this - KC had a lot of races to back up his training and inform his training - you've been doing it blindly.

You're really a step (or 2) above most people here - (Zico/DR being 2 exception's).

The way your training has gone is a product not only of a great coach - but also by the fact that you trust him 110% and have bought into his 'ways' - that's gold these days.

Couple that with solid consistent execution, the road to higher mileage with young kids and a very stressful job................

God I hate you. :D

Console yourself AMK, he’s half your age but you’re twice as talented :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Mon: I'd hasten to call it rest, but that's what it will go down as. Long day in work followed by a 60 min Zoom call at 7pm that lasted over 2 hours...by which time I had the choice between going for a run or a game of Monopoly with my two lads... Easy choice :)

Tue:
    AM: 14.1k Easy: 1:07:45 @4:48/km
    PM: 8.5k Easy: 41:48 @4/56/km

Pretty horrendous weather for a double, but the opportunity presented itself and I enjoyed both runs despite the elements.

Wed: 10 Miles Easy: 76ish @4:43/km

Was undecided about doing session on Wed or Thu but a long day, draining meeting and shoe delivery meant I decided to take my new Hyperion Tempos out for a spin :)
    First impressions were very good. It was only an easy jaunt around the camo but they were very light and responsive. Not sure if they'll be anything other than a shoe for slightly more uptempo easy days, but I'll give them a quicker outing in the near future. Watch was fully charged but still at home so used time on the desktop asa a guide. I was probably a bit faster than the 76 mins.

Thu: Session: 5x2k off 3 mins recovery

Had been a while since I'd done some 2k repeats, so I threw on the trusty Streak 7's and hit the track (with my 2 lads on their bikes for company :))

Beautiful weather really made me delighted that I chose to push the workout out a day. Tipped along nicely, and apart from programming in the wrong recoveries initially into the watch, the session was smooth enough, the generous recoveries contributing to that.

Splits were; 6:59, 6:52, 6:56, 6:46, 6:52

which were all more or less adhering to the 6:50-7:00 window I was aiming to hit. Easy now until another harder LR effort on Sunday.

Just a smidgen under 18k for the day.

Do Long Runs even count if they don't upload to Strava? :)

Do Long Runs even count if they don't upload to Strava? :)

Only superhero ones Count.

Dont even comment unless its something outrageous :P

Fri: 13.4k: 1:03:47@4:45/km

Deliberated doing 10 miles, and then 10 miles the following day to get me over 120k for the week despite missing a day. And then I had a stern word with myself for such folly.

Sat: 13.7k: 1:06:44@4:53/km

Listened to a podcast episode on nutrition that AMK recommended to me. Except I listened to the wrong episode and switched off after spending a half hour gradually arching both eyebrows whilst listening to the advice.

Proceeded to listen to a podcast with another sports nutritionist, who it turns out, was actually the guy AMK had recommended in the first place.

Beautiful morning for a run.

Sun: 20 Miles: 2:08:32@4:00/km

Original plan for this one was 5 miles off @4:10/km, 5 miles on@3:50/km, 5 miles off @4:10/km & 5 miles on@3:50/km. Off and On probably isn't the way to title those efforts as the 'off' wasn't really off at all at all.

Beautiful morning, drinks and a gel left on the route (more on that later :mad: ), all good to go. had a small warm up in front of the house while my little girl was on her scooter, then set off. About 500m in my left calf feels like it may have to amputated and the right one is a bit rough too. WTF? I did however think to myself that I may have tied my laces too tight before I started and I quickly came to the conclusion that this was the source of my issues. So with about 700m gone I pulled in, sat down on the road and went about unlacing and relacing both shoes. My buddy whose HM I paced last week comes sauntering past with some quizzical looks. Fill him in on the excitement of these first 700m, finish the lacing procedure, have a bit of a chat, and then about 10+ minutes after I'd sat down, I'm off again.

I start off with my trusty bog loop and whilst I'm a little on the quick side, it's negligible enough and that pace feels like one I can push on from easily enough for the second 5 miles. (6:39,6:38,6:38,6:40,6:33)

Have a 500ml bottle of water left at Pfizer which is just before the second 5 mile effort starts. Take on about 300ml and leave the rest for when I come back around and leave the loop. Took maybe a mile to lock in on the pace, but the surface is great and I'm used to running quicker efforts up here. These 3 miles were a little quicker as I'll be climbing up through the town for the next 2. Town was busy enough but the roads were quiet enough and I got lucky at 2 out of the 3 sets of traffic lights that I had to navigate through. Got to the end of Mile 10 looking forward to the reduction in pace and a drink and gel. (6:07,6:07,6:07,6:11,6:15)

Except of course some deviant had drank both 250ml bottles AND eaten the gel but left the empty packet there behind. Who does this? It wasn't sheep either as I'd left them nestled under a pillar on a wall.....anyway. This has thrown a spanner in the works. My original route isn't going to work out if I want the chance of a drink of water, so I change it slightly so I'll be coming through the Curragh Camp where I know I can wangle a drink of water from someone

The worry that I might dehydrate and injure myself is in the back of my mind as I'd never covered 20 miles at this sort of clip before. Anyway, anxious to get to the Camp , I probably went a little harder over the next 5 miles, also knowing there was now a decent drag added to the route. (6:36, 6:39, 6:35, 6:39, 6:50)

I did manage to knock on one of the Parents from the school doors ;) and get a glass of water. I often run past her house so she has given me an open invitation in the past to call in for a drink of water and yesterday that invitation was taken up! Did the next 4 miles on the loop in the camp and finished with a downhill mile down towards the town. Was working hard for these ones but held it together reasonably well (6:11, 6:13, 6:16, 6:16, 6:09).

Of course now I was finished but about 5km from home due to my change of route :( Shuffled about 2 miles to my parents where I devoured some Jaffa Cakes and a Lucozade & got my Dad to drop me home!

115k for the week with a rest day thrown in. Tipping nicely.

So much to take in with that update! Podcast mishaps. AMK going to extreme lengths robbing your gel and lucozade trying to sabotage your session! An epic read.

That was some long run man. Those are monster sessions. Remind me, did you have session slike that in previous blocks? That kind of volume?

No is the short answer. We've moved towards to the bigger, LR session as I've progressed on. I mean, I broke 3 hours having never ran a single MP mile in a LR or indeed did any LR session to speak of except maybe the odd progression run that would still finish nowhere near 4:15/km pace.

DCM 2019 block saw a shift towards meatier LR sessions, which continued last year. Things seem to have moved up a notch recently alright, but that's the nature of the game I suppose. Bigger the target, bigger the session :)

To be fair you've earned the right to run those sessions. You've progressed and built up to them. Keeps being said but pretty staggering progression you've had. Forget about the end result. Even handling sessions like that tells its own story.

To be fair you've earned the right to run those sessions. You've progressed and built up to them. Keeps being said but pretty staggering progression you've had. Forget about the end result. Even handling sessions like that tells its own story.

I fully agree with that.

In my mind - I think you are secretly training for the Wrexham Marathon as these are massive sessions - the 5x2k earlier in the week as well.

The question I have is how do you progress these sessions?
    Its certainly an approach I've not seen before, so far out from a goal marathon!

But, you've a top coach in your corner - he's the man with the plan.

Thanks P. I'll let you know tonight after my run how well I've handled it :) Ah it's good to be in this sort of knick to be fair. I'm enjoying it, with or without races or results to back it up.

• Advertisement

I fully agree with that.

In my mind - I think you are secretly training for the Wrexham Marathon as these are massive sessions - the 5x2k earlier in the week as well.

The question I have is how do you progress these sessions?
    Its certainly an approach I've not seen before, so far out from a goal marathon!

But, you've a top coach in your corner - he's the man with the plan.

Yeah the thought crossed my mind alright. I'd be fairly hanging out the back over the there though...sub 2:40 entry requirment yeah?

There's always another session, or a different session to mix things up I suppose. As I said the mantra is to get as strong as possible and to widen the base prior to the next block. With no races I suppose it's an opportunity to that. I'm enjoying it (he says the morning before the next 6 weeks are sent on!)

Mon: 12.1k: 1:01:20 @5:04/km

Shuffle about the town on a gorgeous Spring late afternoon. Yer man Piaras O'Callaghan is some character. Like's to blow his own trumpet but he's a good listen to be fair.

Tue: 10 Miles: 1:19:06 @4:55/km

Another lovely jaunt around the town. It's on these easy podcast runs that I often think about Lambay Island's sub 3 TT that started off with a couple of episodes of 'Where is George Gibney?' :eek: I just cannot compute how he did that!

Wed: 15k inc 10 x 1k off 90secs rest

Took myself down to the track for this one as I wasn't around the Camp and didn't really fancy going back up there to do a session.

Target was around 3:25 or so. Reps came in a bit faster but allowing for general GPS/Track issues I'd say they were pretty close to being bang on. It's hard to judge that extra 200m sometimes, especially when you're not starting each rep from the same spot, but they seemed to be finishing near enough to where they should have been......which of course isn't really important. What was important was how they felt. Notwithstanding the generous recoveries, I felt strong and often found myself pulling back a little after the first 400m.

Splits were: 3:25, 3:21, 3:21, 3:21, 3:20, 3:22, 3:21, 3:21, 3:20, 3:21

As I said above, it looks a little more impressive on paper then it possibly was, but it's another good session in the bank.

Have been deep diving into a few logs on here from back in the day. It's hard not to gauge your own progression vs some of these (very) swift Boardsies, but I've seen enough to suggest that I'm moving in the right direction and can recognise a lot of key factors and ingredients from those athletes' training that is also there in my own.

I loved that a lot of the logs seemed to be on the same journey at the same time which made for some welcome friendly rivalries. Hopefully when races return we can have something similar here again. ( to be fair AMK tries his best to regularly remind me about his Marathon PB :D) I'd love if a couple of posters started up their own Logs as there's some savage training and running appearing on my Strava (Not naming any names here...but....Djemba Djemba, Mr MacPhisto, Diablo Verde, Highland Cow are posters that come to mind :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I wouldn't class those recoveries as generous. That looks like a session that would have me smoking after 3 or 4.

I've done some interval sessions lately 4x1k, 4x4mins and 4x1,200m all around that pace (low 3:20s). Big difference is my recoveries were 3 minute jogs.

Have been deep diving into a few logs on here from back in the day. It's hard not to gauge your own progression vs some of these (very) swift Boardsies, but I've seen enough to suggest that I'm moving in the right direction and can recognise a lot of key factors and ingredients from those athletes' training that is also there in my own.

I loved that a lot of the logs seemed to be on the same journey at the same time which made for some welcome friendly rivalries.

Do you ever read your own log back?

I've just read the 2019 edition, saving the 2020 season til later - I know what happens but its good to see the film again to spot for things that you missed the 1st time around.

Your DCM tactics were Gold.

Do you ever read your own log back?

I've just read the 2019 edition, saving the 2020 season til later - I know what happens but its good to see the film again to spot for things that you missed the 1st time around.

Your DCM tactics were Gold.

I recall noting in my excel file the DCM race reports to reference if I was to run it. And healy was one of them.

If it makes you feel any better one of yours made its way in there too. Singers stood out too although I can't remember which year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I recall noting in my excel file the DCM race reports to reference if I was to run it. And healy was one of them.

If it makes you feel any better one of yours made its way in there too. Singers stood out too although I can't remember which year.

It's funny, now that AMK mentions my DCM tactics in '19, I actually feel a mixture of pride and regret at how things panned out. But I know that the regret is borne out of frustration at having Manchester and Amsterdam cancelled last year when I had planned on a more proactive approach.

The patented 'Cagey until Castleknock' approach is certainly one that I will continue to put into action in future DCM's, just not as cagey as the first half that day :)

Thu: MLR: 22k: 1:32:56 @4:13/km

Got the last hour of sunlight in and, despite being ravenous by the end, felt good. Really enjoying these steady MLR's in the middle of the week. They're in a Goldilocks territory for me, not too slow to feel like a slog and not too fast to feel like a session. Just right :)

Note. The rather large cream slice that I had an hour before the run probably wasn't my greatest nutritional move in recent times. Was pretty damn tasty though.

Fri: 10.4K: 53:18 @5:08/km

Had a small window for a run as my wife was bringing me back a Pizza from Rascals in Inchicore as an early birthday treat (and 14 cans of their new Bruce & Betty beers). Both beer and Pizza were fantastic.

Sat: 14.6k: 1:10:04 @4:48/km

Enjoyable ramble around the bog.

Sun: LR: 31.6k: 2:08:22@4:04/km

Some watch issues meant I was about a half hour later than planned setting off for this, but the morning was so glorious that I didn't mind. Plan was for 10 miles @6:50 & 10 miles @6:18, which is in or around PMP. Apart from lacing my left shoe too tight (again!) and having to pull in around 6k to relace the shoe, the first 10 miles passed relatively quickly. A couple of times I had to reel the pace in and I took a right at the end of my second bog loop in order to take in the bigger bog loop and an extra climb to keep myself in check a bit more. First 10 miles came in at an average of 6:48 (6:48,6:44,6:42,6:44,6:49,6:57,6:51,6:49,6:45,6:49)

As I headed for the Lidl loop to get into the 10@MP I wasn't entirely sure how the increase in pace was going to feel as the legs were feeling a little tired. About 500m in I came across a clubmate and another runner who were doing a few drills before starting their session. I've done a few sessions with the lads before so when I asked what they were about to do and got the reply '12 @6:20', I was delighted! Waited a minute for them to finish said drills and took off spluttered off again. The company gave me a new lease of life and about halfway into the MP section I really was eating up road. 8 miles later I was bidding the two lads adieu and heading for home. Got my calculations wrong and was arriving home with 600m left to hit 20 miles...which I left out there for someone else to run :rolleyes:

MP splits were (6:15,6:22,6:20,6:17.6:22,6:13,6:18,6:17,6:19,6:15 for the 1k) averaging bang on 6:18.

A great run to exit my 30's with :)

122k for the week.

Happy Birthday man. Some weeks running that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Happy birthday, great running but also great to see a few birthday treats in there too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Happy birthday J, you are a couple of months my elder. Sime great running out of you lately.

Advertisement