Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Jaysus, you're flying! Savage progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Singer wrote: »
    Jaysus, you're flying! Savage progress.

Cheers mate. You're getting back closer to where you want to be yourself. The few days off definitely let me hit this session a bit harder than I would have most likely.....but still very happy with those times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Great progress here, keep up the good work!

Fri:10k Easy: 51ish mins. No watch.

Sat: 12k Easy: 59:47 @ 4:59/km Was meant to be a hills session but window for a run closed dramatically to about an hour, so this run happened instead. It was 7am and I didn't have the brain power to think of anything else.

Sun: 21k long run: 1:43:52 @4:57/km
    Again time was against me here so 26k became 21k. Nothing to note really, although I am pretty happy that a run like this has become bog standard.

80k for the week. Not quite what I'd planned but happy enough with it. Ticking over.....

Mon:14k Easy: 1:08:53@4:55/km
    Change of plan to my evening ended in a hastily concieved buy enjoyable run from Liffey Valley SC through Ballyfermot & Chapelizod and up into the PP for a couple of km's and back again. Chapelizod Hill was fun......

Tue: 10k Easy: 48:11@4:49/km
    Had a very small window so probably pushed this a little harder than needed.....

Wed: Session 16x400m w/60second recoveries. 2k w/u & c/d

Splits: 78,77,76,77,78,78,81,81,82,81,77,79,79,83,73 :o

Plan was for 80sec splits but to maybe start around 83 for the first couple and work my way into the session......didn't happen obviously....felt good but tried to reign it in towards the middle to ensure I finished strong....which I did. Took the second last split off and had a good rattle at the last one. Glute felt fairly OK today which was good. Delighted with the session, 400s wouldn't be my favourite, but after the 5x mile Session last week, these felt easy in comparison. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's a super 400's session.

Well done

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

That's a super 400's session.

Well done

TbL

A monster of a session. Are they standing recoveries or what do you do?

tailgunner wrote: »
    A monster of a session. Are they standing recoveries or what do you do?

:) Walking recoveries, all around the 100m mark according the Garmin.....will try jogging recoveries next time I do the session maybe....

Thur: Easy 8k am + 6.5k pm: 41:00 @5:08/km + 37:18 @5:44/km
    Easy km's in the morning and cross country with some pupils in the afternoon
    Fri: Easy 6k:31ish. No watch.
    Sat: Easy 5k: 24:27@4:53

Sun: Enniscorthy 10k: DNF
    Decided to do this as I'd missed Dungarvan due to a bad dose and figured I'd a good race in me. Had 2 great sessions since Raheny and I fancied that I could at least match the 3:51/km pace I did that day.
    Long story short, went through 5k about 19:20 and really ready to kick on. I knew the 6th km was uphill and was gearing up to get through it in under 3:55 and then start upping the pace for the downhill finish........we'll that didn't happen. Left glute, which has been intermittently causing me some small problems, became very tight and weak over the space of about 90 secs to the point where I couldn't maintain anywhere near my goal pace, and I ended up just pulling into the side. Majorly pissed off now, never had a DNF and especially as I was going along pretty much to the second as planned and I felt that sub 38mins was on the cards.....I don't know. Will see what they story is with the glute. Maybe I should have just manned up and got through it. It's been in the background before and I've got through it.....damn it anyway.

It's been a few months since I've been on here. A mix of injuries and illnesses led to a frustrating period and the thoughts of logging on here and looking at other logs just wasn't an option. So I said i'd wait until I was in a good place and back up to somewhere near full tilt before I posted again....So here I am.

Long story short, I've incorporated a more rigorous stretching routine before and after my runs and have been trying to strengthen my glutes at the same time. My right glute was pretty weak, which resulted in the left one over compensating, which resulted in my DNF in Enniscorthy. Had a couple of viruses around March April which really knocked the ****e out of me, but managed to keep some consistent mileage on the clock.

So where am I now....Berlin in September is the plan. I'm training for a Sub 3, B Goal is Sub 3:05, but these will become clearer in the next couple of months. At the moment I feel like my endurance is there, but the speed isn't. I know this is understandable given I'd done nothing but easy running for a couple of months, but I'm hoping that some solid sessions and races will get me back to where I need to be.

I'll just jump back in with last weeks log, and I'm gonna try and keep this updated as regularly as possible. I have missed reading the logs on here, but my head wasn't in the space to read them when I wasn't training properly.

Week 2 of 16 Berlin Training
    Monday: 14k Steady: 1:05:54 @4:42/km Bit of an outlier here, needed a hard run to clear my head, this wouldn't be a usual Monday fare...

Tuesday: 13k Easy: 1:07:12 @5:15/km

Wednesday: 14k Easy: 1:12:40 Ran 6k with mate who is just getting back on the road so 6k@5:30 & 8k@4:57

Thursday: 8k Tempo: 35:02 @4:22/km (3k w/u & c/d) First session where I felt decent. As glaringly obvious as it seems, I had sort of overlooked the fact that the more I run, the fitter and faster I'll get. I think I need to jyst accept the fact that I'm not firing on all cylinders yet and it's still over 3 months to when i need to be.....

Friday: 13k Easy: 1:06:19 @5:06/km Big loop on the Curragh plains.

Saturday: 24k Long Run: 2:02:05 @5:05/km Got out at 6:30am to beat the heat, didn't wake up until about 10k in, felt great after that. Could have done more, but sticking to the plan.....

Sunday: 10k Recovery: 54ish.....no watch, very easy running.

Total: 102km for the week. Good to be back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I just read your log this morning, you're some runner well done.

It mostly interested me that you have had 2 ACL surgeries. I don't know how you coped or recovered from them as I had one April 2016 and still recovering but getting back into running.

I'm curious how is the knee and do you have full confidence in it or is there still a worry?

Thanks

aquinn wrote: »
    I just read your log this morning, you're some runner well done.

It mostly interested me that you have had 2 ACL surgeries. I don't know how you coped or recovered from them as I had one April 2016 and still recovering but getting back into running.

I'm curious how is the knee and do you have full confidence in it or is there still a worry?

Thanks

You mean my running achievements aren't interesting enough for you? ;)
    Yeah, since I stopped playing soccer all has been good. Post op was straightforward enough, I spent more time in the gym then anything else....i started running (cringe) seriously a couple of years later. I'm married to a physio so I was never in any doubt as to whether I was doing the wrong thing in my rehab. Since I've been running I haven't had a single knee related problem, touch wood. The graft was taken from my right hamstring so I've (almost) always been careful to make sure that's been stretched properly. Just looked at a few posts on your log there now and I suppose I didn't really have the same urge as you to get out running after the op I was happy doing gym work and a couple of 5k runs a week.
    Did Gaelforce West about 18mths after the op, and the cycling definitely helped build the knee back up. But since I've gone all-in with the running it hasnt given me any problems. I would be very mindful of it though, any twisting or dynamic movements would just freak me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

healy1835 wrote: »
    You mean my running achievements aren't interesting enough for you? ;)
    Yeah, since I stopped playing soccer all has been good. Post op was straightforward enough, I spent more time in the gym then anything else....i started running (cringe) seriously a couple of years later. I'm married to a physio so I was never in any doubt as to whether I was doing the wrong thing in my rehab. Since I've been running I haven't had a single knee related problem, touch wood. The graft was taken from my right hamstring so I've (almost) always been careful to make sure that's been stretched properly. Just looked at a few posts on your log there now and I suppose I didn't really have the same urge as you to get out running after the op I was happy doing gym work and a couple of 5k runs a week.
    Did Gaelforce West about 18mths after the op, and the cycling definitely helped build the knee back up. But since I've gone all-in with the running it hasnt given me any problems. I would be very mindful of it though, any twisting or dynamic movements would just freak me out.

Thanks for that. Yes, the worry now is the twisting and sharp movement. All turns are a big circle at the minute. Was just curious as you're ok doing sessions on it and your knee doesn't jerk and reacts ok.

I did get over a big fear this evening by going sailing so delighted with that. I had a patellar graft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great to see you back running injury free and logging J.
    Best of luck with Berlin.

Week 3 of 16 Berlin Marathon
    Mon: 14k Easy: 1:10:54 @5:04/km

Tue: 14k Easy: 1:09:31 @4:58/km
    Did both these runs late in the evening after dinner, which would be unusual for me.....has more cons than pros I reckon, but the fact I got them in at all is a plus

Wed: 5x2k w/90 seconds recovery. 2k w/u & 2k c/d
    Splits: 8:35, 8:31, 8:30, 8:29, 8:40
    Plan was to just build on last weeks 5mile tempo and focus on feeling comfortable at the pace, which I did. What wasn't comfortable was the 28° heat I did these in! Lost a lot of fluids during this, and really took care not to go too bananas, but yeah this pace was grand and I'll be stepping up my sessions in the next couple of weeks.

Thu: 14k V Easy: 1:11:08 @5:05/km
    Easy trot on the Curragh, glad of a little respite on the temperature front.

Fri: 14k Easy: 1:10:23 @5:01/km

Sat: Hills 10x500m, focus on form and a relaxed consistent effort. Jogged downhills, continuous reps. 2k w/u & 2k c/d.
    Up and down Braveheart Hill with a bastard of a headwind going up! I enjoy hills, so was able to push it a bit by the end.

Sun: 26k Long Run: 2:12:19 @5:05/km
    Again, I had to do my long run earlier that usual @6:30am and again it took me 10k to feel anyway decent. Was moving nicely by the end. A decent week.
    Weekly Total: 110km

Week 4 of 16 Berlin Marathon

Mon: 12k Recovery: 1:07:08 @5:36/km
    Made sure that the Monday recovery run is just that; a recovery run. Loop of the plains, went a little off-piste and ended up on some interesting terrain but all's well that ends well :)

Tue: 14k Easy: 1:12:21 @5:10/km
    Was up in Dublin,so managed to do this in the Phoenix Park. Always enjoy a rare run in the PP that isn't a race.

Wed: Session 8x1km (plan was for 4:05 to 4:10....again, building on last week and feeling comfortable)
    Splits: 4:00, 3:55, 4:01, 4:00, 4:04, 3:58, 4:06, 3:46
    Odd number splits were slightly uphill and into a headwind.
    I felt like I needed to push a bit harder than the original plan, so I went for around 4min kms and they felt pretty good. Was teaming down rain but I'll take that over the 28° heat from last week. Definitely feel like a bit of speed is returning to the legs.

Thu: 13k Easy: 1:07:23 @5:11/km
    Fri: 12k Easy: 1:01:04 @5:05/km

Sat: 5mile Time Trial: 32:25 @4:01/km

My plan would put a high importance on races.....so the lack of races has been an issue but I haven't been ready to race until now. So tried to enter Clontarf, but had no idea about the popularity of the race so no dice there. A pity cause I run a lot of my recovery runs on a Monday on the sea front there it would have been nice to give it a good rattle for a change.
    So instead arranged to do a 5mile Time Trial with a mate....who promptly pulled out. So off I went after the Lions game up to the Curragh where I had planned to do 3 laps of the triangle for the 5 miles....decided against it and did it in the camp, going up and down the 3 roads....bad decision, forgot it was a Saturday and that the gates would be locked so I definitely lost a bunch it of time navigating through the pedestrian gates! Run was horrendous for first 6k.....but was really feeling good for last 2k. I'd never done a time trial before and I hope to never do one for a long time. it wasn't a race but it was a good blow out and I think I can kick on from here.

Sun: 22k: 1:49:29 @4:58/km
    New Ghost 10's for this. Shoes felt great and so did i!

102km for the week.

Week 5 of 16 Berlin Marathon

Mon: 14k Easy: 1:12:29 @5:10/km

Tue: 12k Easy: 59:19 @4:56/km
    Picked it up second half, tough day so took it out on the road.

Wed: 16k Easy: 1:20:00 :)@5:00/km Ditched a hills session as there was roadworks going on and Braveheart wasn't really suitable for the planned session.

Thu: 13k Easy: 1:05 ish No watch. Had a few pints last night, always happy if I get out the day after. Bonus km's.

Fri: Session 5x2km with 90secs recovery. Plan was to start at 4:05/km's and see how I felt, but I've come on a lot since I did this same session two weeks ago and felt I could push it a bit more without going too crazy either. Did this outside Pfizer plant in Newbridge, flatish 1km out and back alongside the main road.

Splits:
    1. 7:55
    2. 7:49
    3. 7:53
    4. 7:56
    5. 7:47

Happy with this. Getting back to where I need to be. Huge improvements in the last couple of weeks. 3rd and 4th reps felt very comfortable. Getting a bit more speed back :)

Great session and nice splits off a short enough recovery

TbL

Sat: 26k Long Run: 2:09:01 @4:58/km
    Moved from Sunday as i was heading Thurles for the hurling. Felt strong, picked it up a bit last 10k.....the 6am starts are becoming easier....

Sun: 12k Recovery : 1:07:01 @5:35/km

107km for the Week

Berlin Marathon 2017: Week 6 of 16

Mon: 16k Very Easy: 1:26:13 @5:23/km

Tue: 16k Easy: 1:19:01 @4:56/km

Wed: 8mile Tempo: 54:09 @4:12/km

First longer Tempo run of the training block. Wore new Adizero Boost for this. Lighter than the st5's but got used to them by the end I think. Got a nice rhythm going during the run and happy enough with how things are progressing. 1k w/u & 3k c/d

• Advertisement

Thu: 16k Recovery: 1:26:05 @5:23/km

Fri: 16k Easy: 1:21:15 @5:05/km

Sat: Hills 10x500m + w/u & c/d

Sun: 30k Long Run: 2:28:00 give or take a few seconds @4:56/km

Weekly Total: 125km

Not a whole lot to report from these runs. Watch died about 6k into the long run, so the planned progressive splits were done by feel, which didn't work out too badly in the end I think. Biggest weekly total ever for me. Feeling pretty good and had a few well earned pints at the Kildare game.

Berlin Marathon 2017: Week 7 of 16

Mon: Rest day (planned). Managed to get out and walk the pooch but that was all I was good for. Had ran for the previous 30 days.

Tue: 16k Easy: 1:19:32 @4:58/km

Managed to roll my right ankle during this run but thankfully there didn't seem to be any damage done. It's mad how paranoid you feel about your fitness after taking a day off and a few pints....Going to race that 10mile race in Castleblayney on Sat week. Will give me something to build off before Tullamore Half Marathon.....

Wed: Session 3x2miles @ 90% effort w/5 mins recovery.

Splits: 12:15, 12:24, 12:39

Usually would keep this for a week out from race but with 30k LR on Sunday, it came about this morning :)
    Wasn't really looking forward to it, but bit the bullet and headed out towards the Naas Dual Carraigeway. It's not the most fantastic surface, but it's flat and relatively straight. Ran the splits hard. Had to cross over at the start of the last one, which added to a monumental downpour and appearance of some large puddles slowed me down, bit I felt decent on the last one, even though the splits would suggest i was struggling. Looking forward to giving the race a good rattle next week. 16.5k for the day.

Wed: Session 3x2miles @ 90% effort w/5 mins recovery.

Splits: 12:15, 12:24, 12:39

Usually would keep this for a week out from race but with 30k LR on Sunday, it came about this morning :)
    Wasn't really looking forward to it, but bit the bullet and headed out towards the Naas Dual Carraigeway. It's not the most fantastic surface, but it's flat and relatively straight. Ran the splits hard. Had to cross over at the start of the last one, which added to a monumental downpour and appearance of some large puddles slowed me down, bit I felt decent on the last one, even though the splits would suggest i was struggling. Looking forward to giving the race a good rattle next week. 16.5k for the day.

Big drift between splits, tired, concentration or on purpose.

What's the 90% effort based off?

TbL

Big drift between splits, tired, concentration or on purpose.

What's the 90% effort based off?

TbL

Yeah should have made it clearer that I had started the 3rd interval and was about 500m into it before I had to cross the dual carraigeway and get going again. This in addition to the downpour and the pretty big puddles that followed it meant it wasn't the smoothest trek back into Newbridge. I ran the middle one a bit slower as I had ran the first a bit quicker than planned and wanted to finish with a strong final interval. I was tiring at the end no doubt, but I was chasing lost time the whole way during the 2nd mile.

90% effort wasn't too scientific....i suppose it was based off what would be perceived as race effort at the moment and scale that back a bit.

Wanted a hard session and I definitely got one in in some dodgy conditions. Would be hopeful of going under 64mins next weekend but don't know a great deal about the race other than I'm in it :)

Thu: 14k V Easy: 1:14:30 @5:19/km

Fri: 16k Easy: 1:22:24 @5:09/km

Sat: Fartlek Session: 20 x 60seconds @ <5k pace w/60secs easy

This was meant to be a 400's session but Saturday's timetable changed dramatically so it was this @6:30am or nothing.....tough enough going, realised into 3rd or 4th effort that I wasn't wearing flats. Gave it a good rattle though and despite the early time I felt I'd put in a decent shift.

Sun: 30k Long Run: 2:31:27 @5:03/km

This was a struggle. The Holy Trinity of my 3 & 5 year olds and Bella the dog all had me up at least twice each during the night, and I was in no more humour to do this. Wife suggested I shouldn't by the hack of me, but off I trotted. If I'm honest I phoned it In and the pace felt very comfortable, but I'm not sure I was mentally able for anything else this morning.

Weekly Total: 108km (with a day off :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Thu: 14k V Easy: 1:14:30 @5:19/km

Fri: 16k Easy: 1:22:24 @5:09/km

Sat: Fartlek Session: 20 x 60seconds @ <5k pace w/60secs easy

This was meant to be a 400's session but Saturday's timetable changed dramatically so it was this @6:30am or nothing.....tough enough going, realised into 3rd or 4th effort that I wasn't wearing flats. Gave it a good rattle though and despite the early time I felt I'd put in a decent shift.

Sun: 30k Long Run: 2:31:27 @5:03/km

This was a struggle. The Holy Trinity of my 3 & 5 year olds and Bella the dog all had me up at least twice each during the night, and I was in no more humour to do this. Wife suggested I shouldn't by the hack of me, but off I trotted. If I'm honest I phoned it In and the pace felt very comfortable, but I'm not sure I was mentally able for anything else this morning.

Weekly Total: 108km (with a day off :) )

Great consistency Healy. Will be seeing you on Saturday for castleblayney then? :)

pgarr wrote: »
    Great consistency Healy. Will be seeing you on Saturday for castleblayney then? :)

All things going well you will :) trek into the unknown for myself too, it was there or Ballynonty on Sunday depending on when Kildare were playing. Ill be a bit behind you but not too far i hope :) haven't raced properly since Raheny in January, anxious for a good performance....

Berlin Marathon 2017 Week 8 of 16

Mon: 16k Recovery: 1:28:39 @5:32/km

Tue: AM 10k Easy: 53:30 @5:21/km
    PM 10k Easy: 52:53 @5:13/km

Sleep has been hard to come by so was under instructions to take these runs nice & easy and not risk anything going awry :)

Wed: 12x300 Hills: Focus on getting a good effort in and turning legs over. Not going too bananas though. Got these in on a pretty steep gradient and felt great afterwards. 16k for the day.

Thu: AM 10.26km Easy: 54:43 @5:21/km
    PM 4.78km Easy: 25:45 @5:23/km

Fri: 6.5km Easy: 33:11 @5:06/km

Sat: Blayney Rockets 10 Mile 65:55 @4:04/km

So I've finally got a race in this training block and I'm happy out after it. The time was in the lower end of expectations, 64-65 mins was the plan so it DID go to plan I suppose. So what can I take away from it.....

+'s
    * it's a big PB. I was delighted with my 73:xx in Frank Duffy last year, so this is a good indicator of the improvements I've made in the last year.

* I felt strong for the most part out there. I was a little anxious after my DNF in Enniscorthy earlier in the year, added to the fact that the Raheny 5 was the only race I'd finished this year. I put a good effort in and it was good to go through some of the emotions of a tough race.

* I found the course tough so to run a good time makes me happy :) I'd never raced on a hilly track like it before. Now I don't know if it's considered a hilly course in the greater scheme of things, but it was new territory for me. I feel like if I had of known the course there was an extra 30/40 seconds there for me on Saturday.

*No niggles in my calves, hamstrings or glutes which have reared their ugly heads in the past.

-'s
    *I didn't pace it correctly. I tried to keep even splits throughout and didn't really pay enough attention to the course profile. I don't think I ran the downhill or uphill sections particularly smart. First 8k was 32:16 & second was 32:55. But I had a couple of poor kms coming in where I got isolated and didn't push as hard as I should have.

*I didn't put enough fuel in the tank. I'd a bowl of porridge at 7:30am and nothing else before the race @11. Should have done better here. Stomach was definitely empty and not feeling great towards the end.

*had to leave sharpish enough and didn't get to hang around after to catch up with a couple of people id planned to. Well, at least Kildare won't be interfering with my training for the rest of the year.....

So with that race behind me, I'm confident that I can improve again going into Tullamore. This race was all about warming up for my half and I expect to beat this time with my 10mile split in my half marathon and that's what I'll be aiming to do.

The race was very well run, and I'd hope to run it again in the future. Stadium finish was a nice touch, but GAA pitches are too big for laps of honour!

Sun: 10k with Pooch. Somewhere around an hour. A little tender, partly due to race, mostly due to post match (and PB) pints.

110k for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Impressive improvement over the last year you're knocking out some tasty volume in training as well. well done in Castleblayney, cracking result and well deserved and it looks like you're shaping up well for Berlin:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Fantastic result, that is some PB improvement in such a short time, keep up the good work, must be brimming with confidence after that.

Advertisement