Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Fantastic running, you're in great shape and congrats on the good race. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Great running Healy! I was hoping to run into you but hey - there will be many other days . Glad we both accomplished what we set out to do.

I would agree it's a tough little course in Castleblayney. Was not expecting it myself either. There is a nice balance about it overall - be a great loop for long runs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Berlin Marathon 2017: Week 9 of 16

So after talking to my mate who looks after my training programme it was decided that the week would be easy running,focussing on getting the distance in and no doing any sessions. The race did take a bit out of me, but looking back on the previous few weeks a little drop in intensity was prescribed. Also a factor was an impending trip to Liverpool next weekend on a stag which means next weeks running will be limited to 5 days, including a hard session and a, gulp, 36k Long Run.

Mon: 16k Easy: 1:23:58 @5:15/km

Tue: 10k Easy: 52:01 @5:12/km
    Was meant to be a double, but a 4th birthday party and about 7k logged in around the Zoo (5k of which were spent with a newly turned 4 year old on my shoulders) put paid to that.

Wed: 20k Easy: 1:41:21 @5:04/km
    Ended up doing 20k. Was feeling good, I'd missed the second 10k the previous day and I was off to the United game in the Aviva that evening so I thought why not....

Thu: 16k Easy: 1:20:49 @5:03/km
    Made a trip down to the scarecrow festival in Durrow. Got my wife to drop me on the outskirts of Kildare town and ran the rest of the way back to Newbridge :)

Fri: 30k Long Run: 2:34:48 @5:10/km
    Ended up doing 3 loops around Newbridge. I hate loops, particularly ones that involve passing my house 3 times! But it got done, 66k over the last 3 days, that's a first anyway.

Sat: 16k Recovery: 1:25:04 @5:19/km

Sun: 16k Easy: 1:23:20 @5:12/km
    Did a few km across the plains, ran with a chap for a while,nice and easy running, feeling a bit sprightlier by the end :)

Weekly Total: 124 km

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just seeing your recent 10m result - that's a fantastic improvement, very well done!

Berlin Marathon 2017: Week 10 of 16

Mon: 5x2k repeats @7:50 w/90 sec recovery

Splits: 7:44, 7:44, 7:42, 7:38, 7:42

My sessions have been building nicely each week, but some have been a little uneven in splits for various reasons. The plan has been not to ramp up intensity too quickly. So today 7:50's were the base number, but to go faster if 3:55kms felt too easy. I wanted fairly even splits so after a very quick first km I relaxed and felt like 7:44 would be good nick to aim for. I could have pushed harder but I wanted to nail a pace that I could maintain for 5 reps.
    I'd watched Nick Symmonds vlog the other day and he was talking about the second last rep being the toughest and most important, as you'll generally find it in you to crank out the last rep. I've been guilty in the past of taking the 2nd last interval a bit easier in order to finish strong so I made sure that wouldn't happen today :)
    So definitely my most controlled session so far. Still not firing at 100%, but I'm getting very close. 48 days to Berlin :o

• Advertisement

Tue: 16k V Easy: 1:24:01 @5:15/km

Wed: 16k Easy: 1:20:05 @5:00/km

Thu: 36k Long Run: 3:04:21 @5:07/km

Well, that was tough enough. Organisation-wise it was a disaster. Route changed from a (preferred) 36k route to 3 x 12k loops of Newbridge. Changed from running with a mate to running on my todd, and finally ended up having to change the time very late in the day to suit my Dad who was minding the two boys. So in short, I was sort of dreading it. It ended up ok.....I've never ran this far in training and I was in decent shape afterwards. The loops were tough, particularly the middle one, but yeah I'm delighted to get this under my belt. I've another 36k lined up in the training block but it felt good to be able to crank one of these out. I'm still at the stage where I look at the watch and feel slightly bewildered that I've managed to run these distances! 140k :o for the last 7 days......touch wood the body is holding up. Will get a nice recovery run in the morning and then head for Liverpool for a stag which will be the last time on the sauce before Berlin.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Tue: 16k V Easy: 1:24:01 @5:15/km

Wed: 16k Easy: 1:20:05 @5:00/km

Thu: 36k Long Run: 3:04:21 @5:07/km

Well, that was tough enough. Organisation-wise it was a disaster. Route changed from a (preferred) 36k route to 3 x 12k loops of Newbridge. Changed from running with a mate to running on my todd, and finally ended up having to change the time very late in the day to suit my Dad who was minding the two boys. So in short, I was sort of dreading it. It ended up ok.....I've never ran this far in training and I was in decent shape afterwards. The loops were tough, particularly the middle one, but yeah I'm delighted to get this under my belt. I've another 36k lined up in the training block but it felt good to be able to crank one of these out. I'm still at the stage where I look at the watch and feel slightly bewildered that I've managed to run these distances! 140k :o for the last 7 days......touch wood the body is holding up. Will get a nice recovery run in the morning and then head for Liverpool for a stag which will be the last time on the sauce before Berlin.

Those loops sound killer, fair play . Tons of mileage bud , well earned stag break :)

Berlin Marathon 2017: Week 11 of 16

Mon: 10k Stag Recovery: 53:18 @5:18/km
    Better than nothing I suppose. Body still, just about, in one piece.

Tue: 10k Easy: 53:08 @5:17/km
    Was meant to be the first part of a double but some family stuff put paid to that.

Wed: 16k Easy: 1:22:32 @5:09/km
    Had to push a hill session to Thurs as I was required to go to IKEA to buy bunk beds! Got the beds and headed off towards Ballymun curious as to how far 8k would get me....to which Christchurch was the answer! Very enjoyable run through parts of the city I had only ever driven through previously....some sneaky drags in there too :)

Thursday: 10x500 hills, up hill 85% effort and downhill recovery. 3k w/u & c/d.
    Good to be back on Braveheart Hill. Not so good to drop a hammer on my left big toe later in the day assembling the aforementioned bunk beds. Only dumb luck kept the toe intact for Berlin. No lasting damage done!

Friday: 10k AM: 48:27 @4:51/km
    10k PM: 49:26 @4:56/km

Felt good today....been a mental week on the home front, but back on track.

Saturday: Plan was 3x2miles @90% effort. Window closed dramatically to about 45mins just as I was lacing up the flats to head out the door.
    Decided to get a 2k warm up in and run 5k hard, @that 90% effort mark. Not ideal but it would be something. So went out and back the Naas Dualcarraigeway outside Wyeth, pissed rain,wore a jacket.....but came in with a 19:04 5k.
    I've only ever ran one 5k which was a park run before Chrimbo (18:57), but I'd be happy with this effort. Managed to get an easy 6k that evening with the pooch.

Sunday: 26k Long Run: 2:13:40 @5:08/km

Instructions were to run this 'very, very easy' which I did. After last week's 36k it was amazing how easy this actually felt. Really didn't take a lot out of me, and was in a great frame of mind after it.

Weekly Total: 113km

Tullamore on Saturday is an important one. Target time for Berlin will have a lot to do with how I perform and feel there. I'm going to give it a good rattle and see what happens.

Great stuff Healy. Very impressive that you got the volume in despite all the life obligations. Glad to hear the toe survived :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fair play, training's going well for you in spite of various "distractions". Best of luck in Tullamore; a nice stepping stone hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Great training block so far, keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Great training block so far, keep up the good work

Berlin Marathon 2017: Week 12 of 16

Mon: 16k Recovery: 1:26:15 @5:23/km

Tue: 16x400m off 60 secs recovery

So the instructions were to run it at around 85% of what I felt this session might look like if i was going full pelt. Hadn't done a 400's session this block so I ran the first rep purely on feel and didn't glance at the watch until the final seconds of the lap.....79.xx. So I said I'd try and hold that pace, get into a rhythm and keep the legs turning over.

Splits: 79, 79, 79, 79, 79, 78, 80, 79, 78, 78, 78, 79, 79, 78, 78, 76

Pretty happy with that. First session I've done where I've felt my speed getting back to where it was after Raheny. Looked back at a similar session I did in Feb before my ill fated trip to Enniscorthy that derailed things, and the times were similar but effort levels a good bit more relaxed today. Definitely the most controlled session ive put in. A nice confidence booster before Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's a really really impressive and consistent 400 metre session.

You've been steadily bashing out solid sessions, I'm a bit jealous :)

TbL

That's a really really impressive and consistent 400 metre session.

You've been steadily bashing out solid sessions, I'm a bit jealous :)

TbL

It won't be too long until you're back where you need to be. Was just reading back over your log, your op happened during my self imposed exile from these parts....how is the knee holding up? Any niggles? After doing my ACL twice I can feel your pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow J, have a great race.
    I know its not the "main thing" but do you have you a target in mind?

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow J, have a great race.
    I know its not the "main thing" but do you have you a target in mind?

Cheers :) no it's not the "main thing", but it will have a bearing on what time I decide to target in the "main thing" :)
    i think I can go sub 1:25 tomorrow. Plan is to get through 10miles in 65min and then hopefully be in a position to put in a good last 5k.....

Cheers :) no it's not the "main thing", but it will have a bearing on what time I decide to target in the "main thing" :)
    i think I can go sub 1:25 tomorrow. Plan is to get through 10miles in 65min and then hopefully be in a position to put in a good last 5k.....

Think you'll surprise yourself, recent training would suggest you're capable of that, just don't go daft for the first couple of miles. Everyone knows this but it's so easy to get caught up in an adrenaline rush at the start and ruin your run.

Have a good one

TbL

Tullamore Half Marathon: 1:25:52 @4:04/km

Pre Race: got down to Tullamore in decent time. Sun splitting the rocks, brilliantly organised parking and registration. I was really pumped pre race and had to try and calm myself at the start line. A very late pre race call of mature down a residential lane :o calmed me a bit.

Race:
    1-5k 20:06 @4:01/km
    A couple of downhill kms here so i tried not to go too hard mindful of some sound advice from TBL this week :) on pace at 5k and feeling fairly good. Great pockets of support out and about on the roads which was cool :)

6-10k 20:25 @4:05/km
    The hardest stretch of the course I found here. A couple of long enough drags, and as is my wont in these races i managed to get isolated. I don't know what it is about me, maybe I need to make a more concerted effort to latch onto a bunch but I just couldn't get on pace with anybody at this stage. I was having serious doubts about myself during this stretch and I mean serious doubts!

10-15k 20:41@4:08/km
    Course started to level out a bit and there was a couple of welcome downhill stretches which were appreciated. I was conscious of the fact I was beginning to slow somewhat, which i didn't really try to do anything about, preferring to leave it for the last few kms if I'd anything left in the tank. I know that 1:24xx is definitely not on and the target has to be 1:25:something now! Heat at this stage is a real issue. I'd taken a couple of hills of water at each station and taken on a gel at 10k, but I definitely should have drank more.

15k-Finish : 24:40 @3:59/km
    Not gonna lie, this was a real struggle. I had to dig in and just keep telling myself the training will see me home. I spent half the time berating myself for not taking on enough liquids, the before I know it I've only a km left and I had picked up the pace. I managed to run the whole race with that Conor McGregor song in my head too which was interesting. The lap of the track is a bit of a blur, I'm definitely running on fumes at this stage. But got over the line in a 4min PB. :)

So I'm happy with the run, a big PB in tough enough conditions. I'm in great nick for Berlin, but not sub 3 nick. It was always going to be a stretch, but I'm going to have a crack at 3:05 now. Maybe if i hadn't lost those couple of months after Raheny I might have been in a position to go for it, but I did and I'm not. So there you go. 4 weeks to Berlin, let's do this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great time, well done! Nice report too. Enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

That's a great result on the back of some great training, looks like you finished out strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done J and congrats on a great PB. Keep it going now as you are very much on target for a great marathon in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Nicely done and a big PB too. Well done.

Well done, it sure was a humid day.

Maybe don't decide on the sub 3 just yet.

A couple of years ago I ran a very similar half time to yours today and did a 3.05 marathon in hot conditions.

You seem to be in better shape than I was and on the day I felt that if it hadn't been as hot I would have gone very close to 3.

Haven't you a month to go?

Maybe consider a decent MP session at sub 3 pace and see how you go.

You need to manage your fluids in hotter conditions, by the time you notice your thirsty the damage is done.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, some PB and excellent progress!

Well done, it sure was a humid day.

Maybe don't decide on the sub 3 just yet.

A couple of years ago I ran a very similar half time to yours today and did a 3.05 marathon in hot conditions.

You seem to be in better shape than I was and on the day I felt that if it hadn't been as hot I would have gone very close to 3.

Haven't you a month to go?

Maybe consider a decent MP session at sub 3 pace and see how you go.

You need to manage your fluids in hotter conditions, by the time you notice your thirsty the damage is done.

TbL

Thanks for that. I hear what your saying....maybe I'm not being aggressive enough. I suppose just to be even talking about sub 3 is a big thing for me, but I just don't think it's there right now. My plan wouldn't have any MP miles in it. I understand that this wouldn't be the norm for a lot of people training for sub 3 out there, but I'm really happy with the plan that I have been following. Definitely next time out I was going to ask to incorporate it into the plan.
    I'm probably a little cagey too. I was in 3:15 shape I reckon last year for DCM but went for 3:20 and it went like clockwork. I reckon if I get a 3:05 under the belt then hopefully the next step will take care of itself (and I know that it won't be easy from reading a few logs that hit the crossbar going for sub 3.

So with maybe a 10k to come between now and Berlin this year has seen my PB's go from

5k: x to 18:57 (Naas Parkrun) my one and only 5k to date :)

5m: 36:15 to 30:55 Raheny 5 Mile

10k: 40:53 to '40:22' First 10k of my 10Miler. Haven't ran a 10k yet. Might run Blessington in two weeks and dip under 40

10m: 73:20 to 65:55 Castleblayney

Half: 1:29:57 to 1:25:55 Tullamore

So yeah, I'm happy with my progress. The couple of months I was injured and sick set me back a small bit, but (touch wood) I'm back to where I want to be now. I think my problem has been since Raheny I've tended to judge my PB's as to how close they are to the Sub 3 equivalents on the various calculators, rather than be happy with them and taking them for what they were; big bloody jumps!
    I've missed the Race Series I have to say. I'm only running 3 years so racing is still a learning experience for me, and I do find the smaller races on the smaller country roads slightly more difficult to maintain concentration. I don't know if this affects anyone else or if it's just in my head :o

Berlin Marathon 2017: Week 13 of 16 :O

Mon: AM 8k Recovery
    PM 8k Recovery
    No watch, somewhere around 43ish for both.

Tue: 16k Steady: 1:12:31 @4:32/km

Had a frustrating day being let down by a mechanic and basically arsing around waiting for someone to show up and tow my car who never did. Was meant to do a double (2x10k), didn't get out until after 7. Just decided to run progressively harder and harder!! Not in the plan, definitely against my coaches advice for this week....but it felt good. Body in decent nick after Saturday thank God. Last 5k just over 21 mins :/ 50 secs faster than last year's Frank Duffy time!!

So with maybe a 10k to come between now and Berlin this year has seen my PB's go from

5k: x to 18:57 (Naas Parkrun) my one and only 5k to date :)

5m: 36:15 to 30:55 Raheny 5 Mile

10k: 40:53 to '40:22' First 10k of my 10Miler. Haven't ran a 10k yet. Might run Blessington in two weeks and dip under 40

10m: 73:20 to 65:55 Castleblayney

Half: 1:29:57 to 1:25:55 Tullamore

So yeah, I'm happy with my progress. The couple of months I was injured and sick set me back a small bit, but (touch wood) I'm back to where I want to be now. I think my problem has been since Raheny I've tended to judge my PB's as to how close they are to the Sub 3 equivalents on the various calculators, rather than be happy with them and taking them for what they were; big bloody jumps!
    I've missed the Race Series I have to say. I'm only running 3 years so racing is still a learning experience for me, and I do find the smaller races on the smaller country roads slightly more difficult to maintain concentration. I don't know if this affects anyone else or if it's just in my head :o

Amazing progress Healy. You're an inspiration mate. Keep doing what you're doing - Berlin is going to have 3 of the fastest men in the world racing I'm seriously jealous!!

• Advertisement

pgarr wrote: »
    Amazing progress Healy. You're an inspiration mate. Keep doing what you're doing - Berlin is going to have 3 of the fastest men in the world racing I'm seriously jealous!!

Sure in what other sport could you be a small part of (1/40000th) of such potentially momentous occasion. Just trying to keep calm and keep the show on the road....T-24 days :)

Advertisement