Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deep frying

Options
  • 10-08-2016 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi, for years I've been using sunflower oil for deep frying which is now apparently quite bad for you. I tried rapeseed oil but I hate the taste of it. Sunflower oil is pretty neutral.

I saw dripping in Dunnes but was €5 for a pound so would cost €35 to fill a 3 litre fryer.

Any other options ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

maximum12 wrote: »
    Hi, for years I've been using sunflower oil for deep frying which is now apparently quite bad for you. I tried rapeseed oil but I hate the taste of it. Sunflower oil is pretty neutral.

I saw dripping in Dunnes but was €5 for a pound so would cost €35 to fill a 3 litre fryer.

Any other options ?

When you say rapeseed oil, do you mean the cold pressed stuff? I wouldn't deep fry with that, it's more suited to uses like dressings etc.

Most standard vegetable oil these days is actually rapeseed oil and it tends to be pretty neutral and without a pronounced flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

BuffyBot wrote: »
    When you say rapeseed oil, do you mean the cold pressed stuff? I wouldn't deep fry with that, it's more suited to uses like dressings etc.

Most standard vegetable oil these days is actually rapeseed oil and it tends to be pretty neutral and without a pronounced flavour

No I mean "crisp and dry" which says 100% rapeseed oil on the bottle.

It gives off a distinctive smell which I find unpleasant and while the flavour on the food is quite subtle, I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

maximum12 wrote: »
    No I mean "crisp and dry" which says 100% rapeseed oil on the bottle.

It gives off a distinctive smell which I find unpleasant and while the flavour on the food is quite subtle, I don't like it.

Odd. I haven't bought Crisp'n Dry in years (probably before they went to rapeseed) so I can't comment on it but I've never noticed any noticeable smell or taste off standard rapeseed oil vs sunflower myself. I guuess you could look for groundnut/peanut oil as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I buy rapeseed oil in massive bottles in Dunnes and I don't find that there's any taste from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I'd check the sources on the sunflower oil reports, but that's just me :)

Try peanut/groundnut oil or corn oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't like rapeseed for two reasons, one they use glyphosate weedkiller to harvest it and the second I don't like the taste.

Advertisement