Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out a room in a house you are renting?

Options
  • 10-08-2016 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello, me and 2 friends are currently looking to rent accommodation in cork city near to CIT and i'm wondering what the rules are for if we were to then rent out a spare room in the house we are looking at and if anyone can offer any advice or other information related to this, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Danleo171

Also can anyone offer info on if me and 2 others were to rent the property would the landlord have a contract with each one of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need permission from your landlord to sublet. The person you are renting to would be a licencee and have minimal rights.

If multiple people rent from the landlord, you normally have one lease with multiple names.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Danleo171

OK thank you for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

The licensee would not be on the lease however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Cork accommodation the worst, places get booked out so fast,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I rented a three bed house in Dublin via an agent. The agent did not allow subletting in the contracts for any of their houses but I rented out the other two rooms anyway. The Landlord knew I was doing this and didn't care if the house was looked after and I paid the rent.

I did have trouble with one of the sublets who didn't pay me so I got rid of her straight away as she was a licensee and had minimal rights.

Every shared house I lived in had one responsible person as the tenant and the others were licencees. I never met a Landlord who had a problem with this.

Advertisement