Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA: 3t Discus C35 Pro Wheelset : Ebay : follow up thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

What happened exactly?

I've found (the hard way) that both hubs required tightening but were running just fine after this.

There is a counter-clockwise locking screw around the axle on the rear, on the freehub side, that likes to get undone and loosens the freehub so pawls may disengage. If you were riding like this it may be damaged, but there is a chance that the freehub just needs to be reinstalled and the locking screw tightened. You can also put a thick o-ring between it and the QR cap, to stop it from becoming undone.

Hopefully this makes sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Alek - what you describe seems like exactly what happened..

Doing hill intervals on grassy bank, first thought I was spinning out - so once I realised I wasn't, figured it was the freehub
    And my conclusion was that somehow the pawls had disengaged - so i'd say you're right

I can;t see the locking screw you mention though, where is it exactly?

When you remove the cassette, it's directly under the lockring. Looks like a black, rounded, hexagonal or square-ish nut that sits on the axle.

mmm

don;t see anything apart from the end cap which pulls off by hand? Don't see anything to tighten?

see photo at link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf06jzs3ori5img/media-share-0-02-04-000df9304948df66c86373c78c599dc638ea6e815ef06ab24dcd74f5564b615a-4912bffc-dae3-4cc5-af2f-88c89f8f8dea.jpg?dl=0

Can't see the dropbox link at work, but it sits just behind the end cap...

Ok, found something:

466078.JPG

• Advertisement

You should be able to reach and tighten it with flat pliers. Mind it tightens counter-clockwise!

Ok - thanks - I'll keep looking

Thanks Alek - looks to me like that may be missing - perhaps that's my problem

How is the frehub staying in place then? With this bit removed, it just slides in an out the axle on my wheel...

well it's not - thats the problem - i can pull the freehub about 5-10mm out by hand

Does the part you are talking about cover the bearing? I can see the bearing when I look down on the hub

• Advertisement

Yup. Good luck finding the spare part :/

On the other hand, I can imagine you could replace it with a nylon / alu / rubber tube that would fit over the axle and connect the end cap with the freehub. A little play there should be ok, at least to my DIY-engineering brain ;)

Otherwise, I'll be happy to get the broken wheelset of you for a symbolic half price you've paid :P

This is the freehub locking ring, visible after the cassette lockring and end cap is removed:

466142.jpg

Also, I use a piece of rubber between this ring and the end cap, to prevent it from loosening. Its just a random yoke from the parts bin, even a rubber band will work.

466143.jpg

If the freehub is loose even when this ring seems to be tight, check the axle locking ring on other side of the hub!

Thanks!

So....

Having stripped, cleaned and lubed and re-assembeld the hub three times, with the same syptoms re-appearing each time, with the help of a buddy finally figured out what the problem was..

So it appears that the teeth insert has broken its bond with the hub shell and is turning - apparently a known problem with some Mavic hubs

So the hub is f***ed after 4 races....

I'm going to try to get a replacement from 3T , but given the purchase history, probably a long shot - so looks like a rebuild job.

Ah bugger... Sorry to hear. If you are going to replace the hub, can I have dibs on the broken one?

Yes Alek, I'll keep you posted

Note, the hub is perfect, it's the hub shell that's the problem..

Advertisement