Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bath with 4mm2 cabling

Options
  • 10-08-2016 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Replaced with a new bath that came with 4mm2 section, three cores cable.Power sucked by the beast is around 4.5Kw.

What's the best practice in relation to connecting to the mains panel,please!?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well a 4sq. cable is generally capable of supplying a 4.5 kW load. This is of course subject to a number of conditions. If I were doing this I would supply this from a dedicated RCBO and would carefully select the position of the isolator.

Common sense would tell you that a new circuit should only be installed by a qualified electrician and according to the law the electrician must be a registered electrical contractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

2011 wrote: »
    Well a 4sq. cable is generally capable of supplying a 4.5 kW load. This is of course subject to a number of conditions. If I were doing this I would supply this from a dedicated RCBO and would carefully select the position of the isolator.

Common sense would tell you that a new circuit should only be installed by a qualified electrician and according to the law the electrician must be a registered electrical contractor.

Thanks.
    I will need to get an electrican,is not for my DIY skills set then...

Will you install the breaker on the fuse panel or near the bathroom OR both ?
    Didnt get the "position of the isolator",care to share more please !?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Mod note: Please read the forum charter before posting again.
    In particular this part:
    What we want to avoid is answers to posts that simply advise the posters to employ the services of a REC without offering any other advice, assistance or making any explanation. This is most unhelpful, discourages discussion

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

rolion wrote: »
    I will need to get an electrican,is not for my DIY skills set then...

+1
    Will you install the breaker on the fuse panel or near the bathroom OR both ?

I would install an RCBO for this.
    In this context I would consider a "breaker" to be an MCB.
    An MCB only provides over current protection. An RCBO provides over current protection in addition to another type of protection that will cause disconnection of the circuit in the event of a current difference between the phases and neutral in the circuit as this would mean that current is flowing where it shouldn't (which could be because it is flowing through a person).

I would install one RCBO in the circuit to supply this load.

Didn't get the "position of the isolator",care to share more please !?

There are strict regulations relating to the installation of electrical equipment in bathrooms for obvious safety reasons. Bathrooms are split into zones, equipment such as isolators can only be installed in certain zones. This avoids someone installing a mains voltage switch in a shower cuibicle.

Advertisement