Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Furry Animals, Olympia, December 1st

Options
  • 10-08-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭

Pre sale today, code is Fuzzy Logic. General sale Friday.

I picked up 2 standing, €32 each, this morning not including that ticket handling b.s.

Playing first 2 albums in their entirety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Presale must of sold out super quick?

Killer band live. Standing in the Olympia always feels overcrowded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Seemed to be sold out within a few mins. Got circle tickets at about 9:03. No way to know how many tickets were allocated to the presale though.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Presale must of sold out super quick?

Killer band live. Standing in the Olympia always feels overcrowded though.
    Get a pit pass, well worth it, lots of standing room up there. Just show up when doors open and get a pass if you're in the first 100, then leave via the smoking area out back.
    Come back a few hrs later when they are due on and stroll right up the front

Get a pit pass, well worth it, lots of standing room up there.

Cheers, I'll sort something out. No way am I missing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

This is not a wind-up post.

But I remember buying Fuzzy Logic about 20 years ago, and trying my best to get into it. That, along with another album from the '90s - American Music Club consumed so many hours from my life. I just gave up after about 20 listens. Couldn't get either album.

Are the SFAs as good as they seem to be portrayed in the Media. Or are they a band that has many middle of the road albums, like a 6 out of 10, but are consistent.

I am definitely open to the suggestion that my musical tastes were not all they should be back then. Going to give it another few spins to see if it hits me in a different way.

Anyway, sorry for straying off the topic of the gig.

• Advertisement

But I remember buying Fuzzy Logic about 20 years ago, and trying my best to get into it. That, along with another album from the '90s - American Music Club consumed so many hours from my life. I just gave up after about 20 listens. Couldn't get either album.

Are the SFAs as good as they seem to be portrayed in the Media. Or are they a band that has many middle of the road albums, like a 6 out of 10, but are consistent.

I am definitely open to the suggestion that my musical tastes were not all they should be back then. Going to give it another few spins to see if it hits me in a different way.

Fuzzy Logic isn't their best album, but you could try the next 3-4 of them. On Spotify, the top 10 songs is a good place to start to get a feel for a band

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Are the SFAs as good as they seem to be portrayed in the Media.

Depends to what extent they're your type of thing or not, and also possibly what stage of your life you were at when Fuzzy Logic was released.

For me, it's probably the last album (& band) that totally gripped me when I was in college - so for me, yes they are good as they seem to be portrayed in the Media.

For me, they've perhaps been on a downward trend ever since Fuzzy Logic - so I love Radiator, love Ice Hockey Hair like Guerilla and can take or leave most of their albums since then.

I realise this is quite different from a previous poster - like most such questions, it's very much a matter of opinion. (Mine being the right one, of course)

Yeah for me Fuzzy Logic was decent but they hadn't found their sound.
    They got more experimental and psychedelic from Radiator on.
    My favourites in order of preference:

Phantom Power
    Radiator
    MWNG
    Rings Around The World
    Guerilla
    Love Kraft
    Fuzzy Logic
    Hey Venus
    Dark Days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Super Furry Animals are fantastic. My introduction to them was their Songbook compliation album. It collected all their singles up to that point - 2004. That is one quality album. I pushed it onto a lot of people and everyone I gave it too found something to like about it. You can't deny the SFA.

They seem to be incapable of putting together an album that isn't full of catchy hooks and choruses. And their one of the most melodically gifted and satisfying bands to listen to. They are so tuneful; they are a very accessible band. Listening to The Super Furries for me is a lot of my pleasure centres going, awww yisssss .Sometimes the thought, "why aren't these fellas global superstars?" will come into my head while listening to them.

Add to that a wonderful strain of eccentric experimentation throughout their back catalogue that always stays on the right side of putting the song first and keeping it all weird, fun and welcoming.

Love this tune myself. The electro intro, Then the guitars, cowbells and harmonies kick in, giving way to that sleepy but hypnotic chorus and then a further techno breakdown. You go on a journey with this one - larger than life but childlike and wonderful:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

My favourite band of all time! This is gonna be marvellous. Marvellous I say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

SFA are average at best, there is just something missing in all their albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Second night added now for Dec 6th

Zardoz wrote: »
    Second night added now for Dec 2nd.

Any idea when these will go on sale?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Any idea when these will go on sale?

They are on sale now

Zardoz wrote: »
    They are on sale now

Isn't showing on Ticketmaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Um, that's Ocean Colour Scene...

The Olympia is in use on both the Friday and Saturday nights after the gig

Um, that's Ocean Colour Scene...

The Olympia is in use on both the Friday and Saturday nights after the gig

lol
    I need some coffee .
    Sorry folks

Can't wait for this, haven't seen them since their 2007 Vicar St gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've only seen them once, at the Ambassador where I made the mistake of getting balcony tickets. Being a former cinema, the balcony in the Ambassador is angled for looking at the back wall of the stage so I could only really see the drummer... Radiator is their best album and Fuzzy Logic is also pretty great so this should be a cracking gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Looks like this is sold out?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Looks like this is sold out?

Standing sold out on the morning they went on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Long shot but if anyone knows of a Standing ticket with no home can they send me a PM. Thanks.

SFA take the stage 20:30, no support. Lookin forward to this very much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Long shot but if anyone knows of a Standing ticket with no home can they send me a PM. Thanks.

Still looking?

Gone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tonight!

They played close to thirty tunes in Belfast last night.

Arghus wrote: »
    Tonight!

Ah, so we're getting an encore after the 2 albums then, sweet! I was wondering about that

(Edit - I don't wanna know what the encore is!! )

Arghus wrote: »
    Tonight!

Ah, so we're getting an encore after the 2 albums then, sweet! I was wondering about that

(Edit - I don't wanna know what the encore is!! )

The encore is generally the bit at the end 😜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What a gig. You could hear the difference in quality between the 2 albums. While the first album is decent, it might be not as well known as Radiator.
    A lot of people chatting during the first album, but Radiator got some response.
    Cool light show, and the perfect encore.
    A pity ice hockey hair didn't get a blast.
    3rd time seeing them. Each time I got something different.

Advertisement