Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 11 Speed Chain

Options
  • 10-08-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

My chain wear indicator says it's time for a new chain. 11 Speed Shimano compatible.

So, what's your favourite 11 speed chain? I'm looking for value, but willing to spend a few quid more if it's worth it (longevity, lightness etc.).

Currently looking at a KMC X11-93

Anyone got any other options?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was told (by Rose bikes) that Shimano don't recommend using quick links in their chains, so I'll be changing mine to a KMC one (Shimano) when this one wears out. I should have specced a KMC chain at build but didn't think about it until afterwards and I really prefer to clean the chain off the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Shimano sell quick links for 11 speed chains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Plastik wrote: »
    Shimano sell quick links for 11 speed chains :)

Yip they have been available to order for the last couple of months. I think that they realised that their resistance was getting them nowhere so they jumped on the bandwagon.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-sm-cn900-11-speed-quick-link/rp-prod147138

BTW I would get a KMC chain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm a big fan of those KMC chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

KMC chains are well worth buying.
    Last for ages and come with the quick link.
    No brainer to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've been using Dura Ace chains for the last few years. I'm sure a 105 or Ultegra would do the job just fine but I've never had any problems with the Dura Ace and they last around 4,500 - 5,000kms. I clean and lube the chain regularly which helps the life span of both cassette and chain. My current 105 cassette is on it's third chain with no skipping issues.

I usually stick one on my wishlist on various sites and buy when the price is good.

I did consider a KMC for my latest chain but in the end I went with the DA based on previous experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have always been told that the quicklinks are better than the Shinamo pins. Shimano obviously would not recommend them when they were not making them.

Experience, while not definitive, bares this out. Quicklinks have never failed on me, Shimano pins have (admittedly only once).

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks for the replies! I'll go for a KMC one so.

Cheers

I should have said that I use the SRAM links, not the KMC ones. Not sure what the difference is, they look similar. The SRAM ones are the ones I found to be good, not saying the KMC ones are not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'd imagine the lube is as important as the chain or more so.

Parafin wax for the win.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/262044061/Velo-Friction-Facts-Chain-Lube-Efficiency-Tests

You see a lot of anti Shimano chain comments on various forums, but I've never seen any independent testing of various chains used in the same lab conditions.

These guys have tested a lot of chain/lube variables but no head to head with kmc, shimano, sram etc.
    http://www.friction-facts.com/test-results/individual-reports

Pretty easy test to do, if KMC/Sram/Shimano were making a superior chain to their competitors why not do the research and publish it?
    A chain is pretty old technology...

I've used kmc, sram shimano with pretty similar riding conditions and couldn't say one is any more durable than the other. I currently have a ultegra chain with 5,500km on it with no stretch and I think 8 300km rides on it, at least two in wet connections.

Most chain failures I've seen have been at the joint, more a mechanic issue than manufacture I would think...

When comparing 105, ultegra to dura ace I'm reminded of a Charles Bukowski story featuring his alter ego Chinaski; he had a lot of menial jobs (including 20 years a as post office clerk) but this one was packing brake pads. They came in three levels; standard, superior and deluxe. The only difference was the box they came in. I always wonder did the marketing guy in VAG read that story....

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    You see a lot of anti Shimano chain comments on various forums, but I've never seen any independent testing of various chains used in the same lab conditions.

I have seen one, possibly a very unscientific test but the findings were that despite the popular belief that 9 speed chains are stronger and more durable than 10 or 11 speed chains, it was completely unfounded, potentially even wrong. I don't think they found much difference between the mid range chains from the major brands either but this is from memory and I could just be completely wrong.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have seen one, possibly a very unscientific test but the findings were that despite the popular belief that 9 speed chains are stronger and more durable than 10 or 11 speed chains, it was completely unfounded, potentially even wrong. I don't think they found much difference between the mid range chains from the major brands either but this is from memory and I could just be completely wrong.

That was a shimamo test of mtb 9 speed versus 10 speed chains across 4/5 bikes using same lube/cleaning. Shimano rep maintained they designed 10 speed stronger than the 9 speed

I'd guess the data is not out there as the manufacturers don't want it out there; it probably shows very little difference within the same brand despite the price variation. Or maybe I'm just crap at Google!

That was a shimamo test of mtb 9 speed versus 10 speed chains across 4/5 bikes using same lube/cleaning. Shimano rep maintained they designed 10 speed stronger than the 9 speed

I'd guess the data is not out there as the manufacturers don't want it out there; it probably shows very little difference within the same brand despite the price variation. Or maybe I'm just crap at Google!

You could be right, I thought it was a cycling magazine but it was so long ago, there is alot I am most likely remembering wrong.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You could be right, I thought it was a cycling magazine but it was so long ago, there is alot I am most likely remembering wrong.

You are not wrong it was a cycling magazine but shimano supplied everything and their chain guy was also quoted.

You are not wrong it was a cycling magazine but shimano supplied everything and their chain guy was also quoted.

So when I said unscientific, what I should have said was "unbiased" in the most sarcastic tone I could imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Anyone know anywhere with good prices in store or online for the KMC X11-93?

Advertisement