Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Basic Build

Options
  • 10-08-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Looking at building a PC for some gaming and entertainment use.
    Gaming would mainly be simulation, Football Manager, City Skylines, Company of Heroes.

I do not need a Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse,

1. What is your budget? 300/400/500 - can pay in euro or sterling

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Games + Media - Simulation Games, Football Manager, City Skylines, Company of Heroes.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No Mouse or Keyboard needed. Wifi Card needed.

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Unnecessary?[/font]

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Paypal/Cash

9. When are you purchasing? Within a month unless there is something worth waiting for.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No thanks

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I do not need a Hard Drive/Monitor/Mouse or Keyboard included.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am based in the North, so UK Delivery is a plus ! :)[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Any ideas?[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

GTX 750 €100
    i3 6100 €120
    H110M board €60
    Case €30
    1tb HDD €55
    8gb RAM €55
    400w PSU €50
    Total €460

Add an SSD if you want to stretch for it, would definitely recommend picking one up. A 250gb one is about €70

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Think it might be worth waiting and stretching to the RX 460?

He asked for a build a year ago and got similar but with a 270X, and thought it would be overkill so I dropped a level or two this time round. Wait for OP I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That's cool. Haven't seen the RX 460 recommended yet and this looks like a nice fit for it at ~130€

The RX 460 is probably worth it for the €20 in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭mcw92

I don't mind the extra 20/30 on the RX 460 if it is much better performance?
    Where is the best place for parts these days?

Thanks.

Amazon, overclockers or scan to NI I'd say, mindfactory to the republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

An RX460 2GB is only about €20 more than a GTX750 and is way faster, depending on the game it will be ballpark 30-70% faster. It's a brand new card only released now that will only get better with time, the GTX750 is a few years old. Is that COH2? You would notice a difference in that between the cards as it's still demanding enough but the original COH, it won't make any difference in that or the other games you've mentioned.

I would also add in a 120GB SSD for the sake of €40, it makes a massive difference to boot up times and general desktop response.

Mindfactory, Overclockers, Amazon, Scan, all pretty decent. I personally usually go with Mindfactory or Overclockers. So you should have something like this ballpark, as a reference it would be broadly capable of playing the latest demanding AAA titles like Hitman, Fallout 4, Far Cry Primal at 1080p medium settings at 60fps.

RX460 2GB €120
    i3 6100 €120
    H110M board €60
    Case €30
    120GB SSD €40
    1TB HDD €50
    8gb RAM €35
    400w PSU €35

Total €490

An RX460 2GB is only about €20 more than a GTX750 and is way faster, depending on the game it will be ballpark 30-70% faster. It's a brand new card only released now that will only get better with time, the GTX750 is a few years old. Is that COH2? You would notice a difference in that between the cards as it's still demanding enough but the original COH, it won't make any difference in that or the other games you've mentioned.

I would also add in a 120GB SSD for the sake of €40, it makes a massive difference to boot up times and general desktop response.

Mindfactory, Overclockers, Amazon, Scan, all pretty decent. I personally usually go with Mindfactory or Overclockers. So you should have something like this ballpark, as a reference it would be broadly capable of playing the latest demanding AAA titles like Hitman, Fallout 4, Far Cry Primal at 1080p medium settings at 60fps.

RX460 2GB €120
    i3 6100 €120
    H110M board €60
    Case €30
    120GB SSD €40
    1TB HDD €50
    8gb RAM €35
    400w PSU €35

Total €490

Thank you for the help. TBH its not really an issue how much i spend, but i want to set a budget as i have no need for huge specs. I am mainly a PS4 gamer, and this will mainly be used for media and Simulation Games and VM's.

Ill look around for some deals now.

This will outperform a PS4, probably the Neo too for a while if that has any bearing

• Advertisement

If you had the choice for Value for Money, bearing in mind that i wont be pushing it too hard most likely, would you choose

GTX750
    GTX960
    RX460

Also i cannot find the GPU's for the prices people are saying
    750 is around 100£, not 100€
    460 is the around 115£.
    The 960 is around 140£, surely worth the extra £40/25?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

mcw92 wrote: »
    If you had the choice for Value for Money, bearing in mind that i wont be pushing it too hard most likely, would you choose

GTX750
    GTX960
    RX460

Also i cannot find the GPU's for the prices people are saying
    750 is around 100£, not 100€
    460 is the around 115£.
    The 960 is around 140£, surely worth the extra £40/25?

Thanks,
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-radeon-rx-460-4gb-review
    RX 460 4Gb performs around equal to a GTX 960 in some games, and worse in others.

You can check prices on Geizhals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

RX460 would be the best value in that segment, OCUK have a 2GB 460 for £99.

Advertisement