Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth offering landlord more?

Options
  • 10-08-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so obviously my landlord can't increase my rent this year so I'm very worried that I'll be hit with a crippling increase in 2017. Would it be worth my while offering him a slight increase this year in order for him to continue to get a reasonable market rate on the understanding that he won't apply a massive increase next year in order to recoup his lost increase this year?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Hmmm, in theory it sounds good but what happens if he increases it massively anyway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would say nothing. Many landlords are happy not to increase rents for good tenants. Why put ideas in minds?

It would also be legally dubious if he accepted a mid term rent increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah, I have a pretty good relationship with him, no problems in years, gentleman's agreement i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ok so obviously my landlord can't increase my rent this year so I'm very worried that I'll be hit with a crippling increase in 2017. Would it be worth my while offering him a slight increase this year in order for him to continue to get a reasonable market rate on the understanding that he won't apply a massive increase next year in order to recoup his lost increase this year?
    Thanks

Why not just put the extra that you'd pay him this year aside and if he does apply a massive increase next year, you have money saved to help cover it?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would say nothing. Many landlords are happy not to increase rents for good tenants. Why put ideas in minds?

It would also be legally dubious if he accepted a mid term rent increase.

The lease is just up

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Why not just put the extra that you'd pay him this year aside and if he does apply a massive increase next year, you have money saved to help cover it?

I've no idea what the increase will be next year though, I'm worried that it could be anything. Also I'm not very good with money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

would keep an eye on the rents in your area and save up accordingly.LL cannot increase to more than the currently valid market rent, must provide 3 examples for that.Save up, and if he doesn't increase...happy days.:-).Don't throw your money away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Penn wrote: »
    If he doesn't, spons for a holiday etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Without index-linked rent increases, the 2 year rent review has done more harm than good. A lot of tenants will get caught out. At least you are thinking about it. As others have said, start saving. Maybe open a regular savings account with a standing order.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

The lease is just up

Depending on your length of tenancy you're probably ina Part 4 tenancy anyway so lease ending might not matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Yeah, I have a pretty good relationship with him, no problems in years, gentleman's agreement i suppose?

Look if you are a good tenant, have a good relationship with the landlord he probably has the rent below the market value. Have exceptional tenants myself rent below the market value and when it comes to rent increase(2017) ill reassess but ill still reward them for being good tenants.

Don't forget in order to put increase through he has to justify it by giving you examples of three similar properties in the area.

Advertisement