Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber drying/cutting advice please

Options
  • 10-08-2016 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I have a section of oak 10ft long by 2.5ft diameter. I would like make something from the timber.
    Is it better to send it to the saw mill then dry it in planks or dry it as a log and cut it down?
    It has being out in the weather since it fell over a year ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Get it sawn into planks first , then stack it out to dry with spacers between the planks, oak needs about a year / inch thickness of plank to air dry , if it dries to quickly it will case harden and will not be suitable for furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

Thanks.
    Have follow up questions about cutting patterns. My plan is to use part of it to make a Roubo style workbench which requires some large timber, 5-6 inches for the top. The rest would be planks. I'd like to get the best pattern to reduce bending as it dries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Get it sawn into 1 and 2 inch planks for drying, then laminate them for final use , a single 6 inch thickness plank would not be stable and impossible to dry , ask the sawmill to quarter saw the log , this will give you the most stable boards.

Advertisement