Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Stem Question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Bike is a Rose Xeon CW 3000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yes they will both do the same job! The same argument could be applied to most areas of bike components! The WCS stem is lighter and arguably nicer looking (and I would probably pay the extra!!) but the 4-axis will do the job just as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The ones you linked there are 2 different sizes. The top one is for Canyon/Giant 1 1/4"

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

OP, as mentioned the first one you linked to is for a 1 1/4" while the second is for 1 1/8" so not comparing like with like. However (at the risk of hijacking your thread), if you need a 110mm in the first one, I should have one lying around at home that came off a Canyon (had to switch it for 120mm based off a bike fit) with very little usage, and would be willing to let it go for the same as the 120mm stem I got cost me.

Having said that, the rose spec page looks like it's a 1 1/8" you actually want: https://www.rosebikes.de/bike/xeon-cw-3000-749616/aid:749682 which means you have loads of options across loads of brands

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Put up a wanted ad on the adverts page here. Loads of those things lying around sheds as people change them for a better fit. Think I have 3 of different sizes myself gathering dust.
    Just be sure to specify size, colour, Matt or shiny if black,steerer diameter (1&1/8 or 1&1/4) etc.

• Advertisement

The ones you linked there are 2 different sizes. The top one is for Canyon/Giant 1 1/4"

Yes the top link looks exactly like mine but is listed as 1 1/4. I took it out and measured it though and it is 1 1/8. So at least that gives a lot more options.

Thanks for feedback guys. Current stem weighs 116g so I'm reluctant to put a cheaper option weighing 160g on the bike. Going to pull the trigger on

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/ritchey-wcs-c260-wet-black-stem/rp-prod82420

(which has good reviews and is almost as light as anything out there) later this afternoon unless any good reason not too turns up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

€1 / gram difference that's commitment :eek:

Just keeping in line with the original bike spec. While you get away with it the odd time if you keep replacing a bike with lower spec and heavier parts it will eventually not be the bike you originally bought.

With the stem there is also stiffness in addition to weight to consider.

I suppose I made that call and commitment when I originally bought the Rose Xeon CW. If I spent a 1000 less I would have ended up with a bike about 1kg heavier so your euro per gram is roughly correct :D

My bike BTW (with the power meter) is worth more than both the cars myself and the wife drive. With cars though I just expect to get from A to B, with bikes I look for every bit of help I can get as I'm the engine .

New stem arrived and is 31.8 handlebar width. But as you can see from photo because it wraps around more than 180 degrees you cannot get 31.8 handlebars in. What is going on ? How are you meant to use it with 31.8 bars ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

New stem arrived and is 31.8 handlebar width. But as you can see from photo because it wraps around more than 180 degrees you cannot get 31.8 handlebars in. What is going on ? How are you meant to use it with 31.8 bars ?

Do your handlebars narrow either side of the centre? That part might be narrow enough to slot in, and then just slide them laterally to be centred? of course depending on how much exposed bar you have, you might need to undo some bar tape to manage that too......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

I had the same issue - my Ritchey bars did eventually fit but it was a nasty, scraping type of fit. I think that I fed them in sideways as they wouldn't fit head on (previous poster has suggested the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It might be an idea to stick the bars in the freezer overnight or for a few hours so they're nice and cold and then try and slide them on.

I'm not sure if it would work but worth a shot if nothing else.

Thanks guys,

I will peel back some bar tape and have a look. The thought occured to me that if you completely stripped one side of the bar you could probably slide in from the end. But that would be quite a task in itself. I do wonder what the designers of this stem had in mind. I knew it was angled but hadn't spotted that the opening would be less than 180.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

The one that I had, had bolt heads that were hex rather than torx - its a subtle difference at first glance but one that becomes apparent when you tighten them up as they were quite soft.

Thanks guys,

I will peel back some bar tape and have a look. The thought occured to me that if you completely stripped one side of the bar you could probably slide in from the end. But that would be quite a task in itself. I do wonder what the designers of this stem had in mind. I knew it was angled but hadn't spotted that the opening would be less than 180.

Well peeled back bar tape and was able to clamp in on near the brakes but could not slide it up. Got it so far, was scratching the hell out of the bars, it looked stuck at one point so in the end was happy to be able to slide it back down towards the brakes and get it off. The Ritchey Evo Curve handle bars on the Rose are certainly not uniform in shape going from thin to oval to circular...

So sent it back to CRC this morning using their free return service and requesting a refund (impressed with how easy it is to use this) and have just ordered this for try 2:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/deda-elementi-zero100-performance-stem/rp-prod121097

Advertisement