Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so unhappy at work

Options
  • 10-08-2016 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Everyone, Looking for some advice on this.

Finished college last May and got my first proper job in August. I worked in that company for 7 months but the hours and work load was insane. I was doing 60+ hour a week but got huge exposure to work that the others workers in my team never did. My role required to be in constant contact with another company that we contracted some of our work to and in January they basically offered me a job without having to interview.

It was a role that I would have been stupid to turn down as It would have taken me 3-4 years in any other company to get this role and its an area I wanted to get into. The problem is I sit at my desk everyday with no work to do. There is major office politics in here and the two others on my team are not sharing their work even though they are swamped with work as they say it most days how busy they are. My boss seems to forget I exist and has missed all our monthly meetings that she organizes. She has already blocked me on a job i previously applied for as she is very well connected in the Industry I work in. I know this for a fact because It was said to me.

I want to leave this company but one company won't hire me and i'm afraid that she will do the exact same to the other 2 companies I want to apply for.

What do I do? How do I leave this Job without pissing her off and ruining my chances of having a decent career?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

schedule a meeting with her,

ask her for more work,

tell her you accepted the job because you could handle the responsibility and wanted a challenge.

if the work doesnt materialise, start looking for other jobs and dont let them contact her in regards to your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

if the company is not providing you with work, then there is deemed constructive dismissal.

however if your boss is that connected in the industry you work in, going down that route would make it next to impossible to get another job.

i guess you may have to quit first to get another role...but who knows what your boss will do/say about you after you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 synhea

We have scheduled meetings every month since I started and she only managed to make it to one of those. That one time I did meet with her I told her all this and she said she would look into it. That was 4 months ago now. Every so often she says " oh we must catch up this week and talk about how your getting on". Shes always too busy to talk if i wander into her office even though she has an open door policy.

Daheff: Never thought of quitting first so that may be a very good option. Thats where the problem is, unfortunately I can't go into more detail but we work very closely with the big names in the industry I'm in so while I could get another job it's what shes gonna say to the other employers and I would also have to deal with her If i moved to the other 2 companies I want to work for.

daheff wrote: »
    if the company is not providing you with work, then there is deemed constructive dismissal.

OP has only been there for 8 months, where do people get this constructive dismissal thing like??

OP started in January, its August.

lets break it down simply:

12 months continuous service- nope
    have to have attempted to resolve issue in house- nope

my reading of it is OP had an amazing role, demanding but common at the moment for graduates, it was a bit of a challenge that she grafted. Was offered a job with a contractor and jumped at the chance, she left a learning opportunity for a role that she is now not being challenged in.
    She shouldnt have left the other role but **** happens. Now she needs to have a grown up chat with her boss but hasnt had it yet.
    its harsh but true, maybe her new colleagues dont think she has enough experience, there are a million different reasons why shes not being given enough work.

Talk to your boss and see what she says. send her an email saying we spoke 4 months ago and we need to follow up be firm but professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

the Next one to one that is rescheduled offer to have it over coffee,lunch or outside hours both early and late if needed but that you really want it to go ahead in the week it was scheduled .
    Arrive at this with outlined specific work you want to do not a open request for more work , the more of this you can give to your boss as a decision to make and not work for her/him to do the better.
    ie
    I would like to take on this client/account/portfolio/product , I believe I can manage it , can I start the handover with Colleague A this week what kind of progress report would you like from me to give you confidence that I am managing it effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Sounds like a public service job.
    As long as you don't jump from the frying pan into the fire .
    I was looking for a challenge in my work,I realized I had to be careful what I wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You also need to find out why the two others on your team are not sharing their work with you, and what you can do about that.

Normally, people who are busy would seize on the possibility of dumping the bits that they don't like doing onto a new colleague.

OP has only been there for 8 months, where do people get this constructive dismissal thing like??

OP started in January, its August.

lets break it down simply:

12 months continuous service- nope
    have to have attempted to resolve issue in house- nope

my reading of it is OP had an amazing role, demanding but common at the moment for graduates, it was a bit of a challenge that she grafted. Was offered a job with a contractor and jumped at the chance, she left a learning opportunity for a role that she is now not being challenged in.
    She shouldnt have left the other role but **** happens. Now she needs to have a grown up chat with her boss but hasnt had it yet.
    its harsh but true, maybe her new colleagues dont think she has enough experience, there are a million different reasons why shes not being given enough work.

Talk to your boss and see what she says. send her an email saying we spoke 4 months ago and we need to follow up be firm but professional.

I haven't been given the chance to be challenged. Anything I start is taken off me and the others finish it. Tuesday a project was taken off me because my collegue said it was too complicated for me even though I had the exact same idea as this person regarding how to proceed with the project. I didn't come into this without the experience, The reason I got the job is because of my experience gained in my previous role.

I have emailed her and even scheduled meetings on the system we use here. Just found out on lunch that she is on holidays for 3 weeks starting tomorrow.

You also need to find out why the two others on your team are not sharing their work with you, and what you can do about that.

Normally, people who are busy would seize on the possibility of dumping the bits that they don't like doing onto a new colleague.

I said that in the meeting i had with my manager and nothing was done about it. I have asked most days if i can help in any way and usually get stuck filling away folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to find out the real reason WHY they are behaving like this.

They are not going to tell you directly.

You need to work out what the problem is. Look for information from people in other teams. But do be aware of false-friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

synhea wrote:
    I have emailed her and even scheduled meetings on the system we use here. Just found out on lunch that she is on holidays for 3 weeks starting tomorrow.

Perfect opportunity to go over her head maybe? Speak to whoever she reports to. Or HR.

synhea wrote: »
    I didn't come into this without the experience, The reason I got the job is because of my experience gained in my previous role.

to be fair you have slightly contradicted yourself there, in your original post you said
    It would have taken me 3-4 years in any other company to get this role

so that would lead most people to think you don't have enough experience.

you only worked for 7 months before you moved jobs, 7 months is not a lot of experience in any corporate role.

needless to say you know best and it was only a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Perfect opportunity to go over her head maybe? Speak to whoever she reports to. Or HR.

Never do this. Its a terrible idea.

I haven't been given the chance to be challenged. Anything I start is taken off me and the others finish it. Tuesday a project was taken off me because my collegue said it was too complicated for me even though I had the exact same idea as this person regarding how to proceed with the project. I didn't come into this without the experience, The reason I got the job is because of my experience gained in my previous role.

They are either inept or don't want to share work, thus responsibility and thus power and control with you. Possibly they want to you to look bad. Someone people are just illogical when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I would do the work you are given. Request more work, via email etc, so there is a record. But don't ask to hard as you don't want task that don't progress your skillset and experience, but just fill your time. Find a project that is useful to the company and do it. But don't tell anyone till its useful. But never neglect your primary role to do it. Perhaps theres another area you can help out in.

Often these extra projects, end up defining your own job for yourself. It might be an app, some automation, some analysis, or even a report. The project might even be a qualification, that is missing in the company.

Thinks like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

beauf wrote:
    Never do this. Its a terrible idea.

So you should never speak to HR or another, more senior, manager when your own manager is obviously avoiding having a meeting with you to discuss your issues? How exactly are you supposed to get someone to listen to you when your manager won't?

So you should never speak to HR or another, more senior, manager when your own manager is obviously avoiding having a meeting with you to discuss your issues? How exactly are you supposed to get someone to listen to you when your manager won't?

theres a huge difference between speaking to HR to raise a grievance and going over someones head to complain them.

she didnt say her manager was avoiding her she said she was really busy and was then going away on annual leave.

All sorted. Todays my last day. Gave my notice to the other manager. Interview tomorrow for another job so fingers crossed I get that!!!

Unless its a very serious issue I wouldn't. It burns your bridges with the manager and possibly other managers as well. Yes its wrong, but that's real life. If it works for you great, I've never seen it work though.

Do some thing so well you get the attention and thus nabbed by a different area/manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

All sorted. Todays my last day. Gave my notice to the other manager. Interview tomorrow for another job so fingers crossed I get that!!!

Jesus

that escalated quickly.

how do you intend explaining why your leaving?

• Advertisement

Job not as described I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Be ready to justify your career history to date. You will need to have a solid answer for why you left two jobs within the space of 14 months and also when describing what you have been doing for the last 7 months.

Things like "I asked repeatedly but they wouldn't give me work" are a big no-no. You can't say you have been sitting on your hands for the last number of months. You can't really say you wanted a new challenge because you weren't in either job long enough.

Best of luck with it, but be prepared for those type of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

Since you're just finished college I'm going to assume you are young and free of any serious commitments

If so then I think you made the right move. If you have freedom and time on your side why stay in an unhappy place

textbook stereotypical millennial situation here.

im not getting my way so im jumping ship. i should be RUNNING the gaff with little to no real experience and their being mean to me.

you didnt take any of the advise you were offered and are taking the easy way out, this stuff does follow you around and the reference will be borderline at best.

Be ready to justify your career history to date. You will need to have a solid answer for why you left two jobs within the space of 14 months and also when describing what you have been doing for the last 7 months.

Things like "I asked repeatedly but they wouldn't give me work" are a big no-no. You can't say you have been sitting on your hands for the last number of months. You can't really say you wanted a new challenge because you weren't in either job long enough.

Best of luck with it, but be prepared for those type of questions.

My first job was only a contract position so Im not too worried about that. I know that and I know exactly what I'm going to say.

textbook stereotypical millennial situation here.

im not getting my way so im jumping ship. i should be RUNNING the gaff with little to no real experience and their being mean to me.

you didnt take any of the advise you were offered and are taking the easy way out, this stuff does follow you around and the reference will be borderline at best.

How is it textbook? I was hired for a specific job and got stuck with admin crap. Apologies for not being able to sit down doing nothing anymore. I have career goals I want to achieve and this place is only holding me back so why the hell would I stay there any longer?

I've been trying to fix this situation for 3 months and it hasnt changed so it's not gonna change in the next three months.

How is it textbook? I was hired for a specific job and got stuck with admin crap. Apologies for not being able to sit down doing nothing anymore. I have career goals I want to achieve and this place is only holding me back so why the hell would I stay there any longer?

I've been trying to fix this situation for 3 months and it hasnt changed so it's not gonna change in the next three months.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3741460/Is-ultimate-millennial-sign-Sacked-graduate-bows-job-accountancy-firm-PwC-email-complaining-work-boring-got-way-fun.html

fair enough, im not **** stirring its just a different view point. I do this for a living, there is a hge issue with graduates wither expecting too much or not pulling their weight because they think the duties are beneath them,. like you said the admin crap.

you left your first job and took a job you admitted you didnt have the experience for, you then didnt get what you wanted in the current role and instead of resolving like the majority of posters on the thread (that you started to ask for help on) you quit. you didnt say to us that it was a contact role.

you said a few times you manager arranged to sit down with you but was too busy, then you said she was an annual leave. i just wonder how much of an opportunity did you give her to ask for more work or resolve the issue.

best of luck in the new role.

to go deeper i still working upwards of 60 hours a week sometimes, thats called grafting, and i did the admin crap and still do if it needs to be done, thats also called grafting. you do what sets you apart and graft, even if it is boring.

fair enough, im not **** stirring its just a different view point. I do this for a living, there is a hge issue with graduates wither expecting too much or not pulling their weight because they think the duties are beneath them,. like you said the admin crap.

you left your first job and took a job you admitted you didnt have the experience for, you then didnt get what you wanted in the current role and instead of resolving like the majority of posters on the thread (that you started to ask for help on) you quit. you didnt say to us that it was a contact role.

you said a few times you manager arranged to sit down with you but was too busy, then you said she was an annual leave. i just wonder how much of an opportunity did you give her to ask for more work or resolve the issue.

best of luck in the new role.[/QUOTE]

I didnt study for 4 years in college to get stuck with photocopying and filing. Complete waste of the thousands of euros I spent on my degree. I took the job because they said they would train me. I had experience of this work from my contract role which is why I got the job in the first place. I spoke to many people about my situation and all had the same opinion which was to leave and get a job elsewhere. I didn't make it lightly.

I asked her to resolve it twice, both times she said she would and nothing was done about it. I emailed her numerous times and got no response, I set up meetings on her calendar and she still couldn't find the time to meet me. For those scheduled meetings she was either on calls or else not in her office.

As I said, I have career goals and aspirations that I want to achieve and this place is not going to help my career in any way.

I didnt study for 4 years in college to get stuck with photocopying and filing. Complete waste of the thousands of euros I spent on my degree.
    no one does dude, but you do have to pay your dues as well, prove your worth.

I asked her to resolve it twice, both times she said she would and nothing was done about it. I emailed her numerous times and got no response, I set up meetings on her calendar and she still couldn't find the time to meet me. For those scheduled meetings she was either on calls or else not in her office.
    which to me reads that she was really busy, i'm not disagreeing that it was badly handled.
    As I said, I have career goals and aspirations that I want to achieve and this place is not going to help my career in any way.
    and more power to you motivation and passion is a huge driver for a lot of people at least you have a goal.

i was just giving a different perspective from an employer who has hired loads of graduates and had to give them a bit of a reality check. we have one of the best graduate programmes in the country but peoples expectations can be a little pie in the sky

• Advertisement

no one does dude, but you do have to pay your dues as well, prove your worth.

which to me reads that she was really busy, i'm not disagreeing that it was badly handled.

and more power to you motivation and passion is a huge driver for a lot of people at least you have a goal.

i was just giving a different perspective from an employer who has hired loads of graduates and had to give them a bit of a reality check. we have one of the best graduate programmes in the country but peoples expectations can be a little pie in the sky

Thanks for your replies and I understand where your coming from but there is plenty of work that I could be doing but the others I work with won't let me do the work or at least help them. She is busy but she can still find time to talk about game of thrones to other workers so I don't understand why she cant find 5 mins for me.

This isnt a graduate role and it's not my first job. My expectations aren't pie in the sky but I was expecting to learn the more technical aspects of my job which hasn't happened. There has been numerous training days since I started which I asked to join but was never picked or told about. I just couldn't sit down any longer learning nothing.

Advertisement