Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Cork City?

Options
  • 10-08-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys, will be moving to Cork soon and am just wondering if I could get some help in picking out a gym suitable for my needs that is also close to the city centre.

I need a gym that has muliple squat racks/power cages as squats, deadlifts & overhead pressing are the foundation of my training. I have no need for machines, swimming pools etc.

There are two gyms in particular that were recommended to me, fitnessworx & mayfield sports comlpex, and to be honest fitnessworx sounds most ideal but I have no idea how close it is to the city centre. I believe it is located on tramore road, is that within walking distance of the city centre?

Any other recommendations are welcome too, as long as they are within walking distance of the city centre.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ilikesleeves

Fitnessworx is not within walking distance of downtown. You'd need to cycle or drive out there.

Only place I can comment on is the Mardyke arena, have had free membership for nearly 8 years with the university (students get free membership). Easily reached from the city centre and has a city bike station just up the road too.

4 squat racks, 4 deadlift areas, 4-5 benches, large-enough free weights area. Have found the staff to be great and very knowledgeable. Can be quite busy however, since there is a large student membership.

I've no idea how this compares with other places in the city, I'll need to find out soon since I'll be out of UCC in October! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Twiggie

Fitnessworx is not within walking distance of downtown. You'd need to cycle or drive out there.

Only place I can comment on is the Mardyke arena, have had free membership for nearly 8 years with the university (students get free membership). Easily reached from the city centre and has a city bike station just up the road too.

4 squat racks, 4 deadlift areas, 4-5 benches, large-enough free weights area. Have found the staff to be great and very knowledgeable. Can be quite busy however, since there is a large student membership.

I've no idea how this compares with other places in the city, I'll need to find out soon since I'll be out of UCC in October! :D

Ah, pity fitnessworx is too far from the city centre then. The mardyke is out of my price range plus on their site they have a ridiculous rule of not being allowed to bring your gym bag in, so that and the fact it is meant to be a very busy gym rules that out for me unfortunately.

How long of a walk would fitnessworx be from city centre? I'd be willing to make a 20-30 min walk to it but would not want to walk for more than 30 mins carrying a gym bag.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

There's a gym in the city centre on Daltons Avenue, Off Cornmarket St. Try them out, they don't seem to have any real online presence. Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Where exactly are you staying..walking should be OK if you're on the south side near City centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭0e1

Have a look at elite gym marina business park .great spot .close to city centre.
    Also locker room / fitness studio on Washington street .City centre.
    There is one off the Coal quay down a narrow alley way .never been there.
    Fitnessworx is very good if close enough for you .

• Advertisement

Colser wrote: »
    Where exactly are you staying..walking should be OK if you're on the south side near City centre?

Have no idea where I'll be staying, wont be going down for a few months yet but just trying to find a gym close to city centre as I will most likely be staying in or around the city centre

0e1 wrote: »
    Have a look at elite gym marina business park .great spot .close to city centre.

Thanks, I'm shocked at how badly advertised a lot of the gyms are though. The ones you mentioned there have zero info on what types of equipment they have, or any pics of inside the gym to see what is there.

Do the ones you mentioned have multiple power racks etc? Because a gym with no squat cages/power racks is useless to me. And most gyms these days seem to have loads of machines with no squat racks at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

The gym off the Coal Quay was called RB Fitness Centre, renamed to Celtic Fitness Centre (owner moved gym, manager took over) but it's after moving to the Marina Commercial Park. Around the corner from Elite Fitness (Cork Weightlifting Club).

It won't be open for another while yet but go down and speak to the owner, Conor - he's a great guy.

I use the bull and fiddle in ballyphehane. Theres only one squat rack but it's usually quiet in there so there's usually not a queue to use it.

0e1 wrote: »

Won't cater for the OPs requirements ...

http://www.theultimateburn.ie/about-us/

• Advertisement
Advertisement