Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I contact the company?

Options
  • 10-08-2016 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm employed at the moment but am actively looking for a new job. I saw one advertised the other day that really jumped out at me. The job was being advertised directly by the company themselves, and the ad stated that they did not require the assistance of recruitment agencies at this time. I sent in my CV with a great cover letter yesterday morning.

Yesterday afternoon I got a call from one of my recruiters who said that a job had landed on his desk that was perfect for me. He told me the role and the name of the company and I told him that I'd applied for the job that morning. He said "Well good news as we sent in your CV anonymously and they want to meet you for an interview". I was delighted of course, and he said he'd email me with some times etc. A few minutes later he phoned me back and apologised and said that, as I had already sent in my application myself, they could not send in a second application for me. I asked could he not explain to the company the situation and he said no, that it would be against their (the recruitment agency's) policy to do something like that. I was really annoyed and disappointed but I do understand.

Now I'm in limbo waiting to see if the company will contact me directly for interview. Obviously if the same person reads my CV they will recognise it from the anonymous one the recruiter sent in, but I'm wondering will it be disregarded as they've already seen it once and might thing that I turned down the interview. I'm trying to be patient as it's only been a couple of days since the job went live, and only a day and a half since I applied, but the fact that they were arranging interviews for this week makes me think I might have missed my chance.

I know in my head that this is probably a bad idea, but I was considering dropping the HR woman (whose name is on the ad) an email and giving her a brief explanation of what happened, and say that I hope my application will still be considered. I'm worried about coming across as desperate and pushy, but on the other hand I'm thinking nothing ventured nothing gained :/ Of all the jobs I've come across in my search, this one really excited me. I match the required skills and qualifications perfectly, and the location is amazing.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

You only sent I'm the cv yesterday! Give them a few days to look at it.

The recruitment company said first they had already sent it in anonymously but then they could send one in at all? I think they are embellishing the truth there one way or another.

When is the closing date for applications? I can't see them starting interviews before they get the opportunity to consider all applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They can't send an application in that's already been sent in, cos if the company sees a duplicate application (one going through a recruiter, one not) they're not gonna go with the recruiter as there'll be a fee involved, plus they will most likely be pissed off that the recruiter is trying to make a fee off someone who applied directly.

There's no closing date on the ad. When I spoke to the recruiter yesterday I asked him would they be doing interviews this week (as I wanted to give my availability) and he said yes. I've no way of knowing for sure whether that's true or not, he could have been BSing.

Believe me I know I have to try to be patient :) but there's a lot of "what if"s going around in my head and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to approach it is. It's probably just to sit and wait to hear, and if I don't then tough luck :( but if there is any other advice then I'd like to hear. The pool of employees doing my role within my industry and at my level isn't huge so I do feel like i'd have a good chance if I got an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

one: stop working with that recruiter and get in contact with their boss, sending CV's even anonymously without your permission is a HUGE no no.

the recruiters story doesnt add up either like Smondie said, why ask to send it again, if they want to meet you for interview based on him sending your redacted CV?

no harm in emailing the Hr person if you have their details, saying something like '' i applied directly but it appears a recruiter sent my details to you also without advising me, i would appreciate the opportunity to discuss my direct application with you, the role is of huge interest to me blaa bblaaa blaaa

some Hr people love this stuff some dont.

it generally depends.

id tear the face of the recruiter, it sounds like they were reverse marketing the role (ie they dont have a contact for it but saw it advertised and sent in some examples of candidate they had to try to get the contract.) i hate that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SwallowHal

one: stop working with that recruiter and get in contact with their boss, sending CV's even anonymously without your permission is a HUGE no no.

the recruiters story doesnt add up either like Smondie said, why ask to send it again, if they want to meet you for interview based on him sending your redacted CV?

no harm in emailing the Hr person if you have their details, saying something like '' i applied directly but it appears a recruiter sent my details to you also without advising me, i would appreciate the opportunity to discuss my direct application with you, the role is of huge interest to me blaa bblaaa blaaa

some Hr people love this stuff some dont.

it generally depends.

id tear the face of the recruiter, it sounds like they were reverse marketing the role (ie they dont have a contact for it but saw it advertised and sent in some examples of candidate they had to try to get the contract.) i hate that ****.

OP here (too impatient to wait for posts to be approved :) )

I didn't know whether or not to be pissed off with the recruiter. I wasn't sure if it was the done thing or not to send in CVs anonymously. But on reflection, he really should have checked with me first and I can see he was completely in the wrong.

Anyway that's done and I can't change that.

Unfortunately I don't have an email address for the HR woman in the company. I looked her up on LinkedIn but her email address isn't on there.

Smondie I know it's only been a few days but they are apparently interviewing for the role already, that's why I'm stressing about the timeline. There is no closing date on the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

SwallowHal wrote: »
    I didn't know whether or not to be pissed off with the recruiter. I wasn't sure if it was the done thing or not to send in CVs anonymously. But on reflection, he really should have checked with me first and I can see he was completely in the wrong.
    if you dont know if your pissed of or not i cant help ya mate. its not the done thing, some recruiters are asshole, some are good, some will chance their arm, this guy got caught in a lie it seems.

Unfortunately I don't have an email address for the HR woman in the company. I looked her up on LinkedIn but her email address isn't on there.
    try ringing and asking to speak to her, if they dont put you though ask for an email tell them you applied for a job and would like to follow up.
    Smondie I know it's only been a few days but they are apparently interviewing for the role already, that's why I'm stressing about the timeline. There is no closing date on the ad.
    if their interviewing already stop stressing, if they dont want you then your not a fit, apply somewhere else, its harsh but true theres nothing but your expectation here to get you a job let alone an interview.

try to ignore what the recruiter said about the interview, i used to be one, we used refer to ourselves as high class human traffickers.

• Advertisement

[

Who told you they were intervewing? if it was the recruiter who told you they sent in your cv/couldn't send in your cv, take it with a pinch of salt.

If it was elsewhere you heard it, they have the copy of the cv you sent in and will call you if they want to.

You could ring the as liveadream suggested

Yes it was the recruiter who told me they'd be interviewing this soon and it was in the back of my mind that it could well be BS.

I found the HR woman's email address online so I sent her an email saying I hoped she didn't mind me contacting her directly, gave her a very brief explanation of what happened, and attached my CV and said I'd like the opportunity to discuss the role further with her.

She might appreciate me contacting her, she might not, but f*ck it I've nothing to lose, and if I hadn't contacted her and never heard I'd wreck my head wondering about it.

Cheers for the advice folks :)

Good luck! I hope it all turns out well for you and you get the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Recruitment agencies wreck my head! OP said that the company explicitly said that they didn't want any "help" from recruitment agencies, and yet one sent in a CV? As an employer, the recruitment agency CV goes straight in the bin once I've said on my ads that recruitment agency approaches are not welcome.

And this employer will probably do the same OP - they are not going to pay the extortionate fees to the recruitment agency for a CV that they already have. Plus, again as an employer, I know that agencies just send in CVs all the time without checking with the candidate, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you have a good CV and cover letter, and are right for interview/the job, they will call you for interview anyway.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I think in this case I'd be going nuts with the recruiter. I take it you have registered with them previously (as they have your details?)

Unfortunately in situations like this, a lot of employers wont look at your cv because if they do give you the job, then the recruiter will be looking for money. Company can argue you applied direct, but it wont stop the (greedy) recruitment agency looking for the money. Most HR people dont want that hassle, so generally bin cv that come in from multiple sources/agencies.

Agent is probably aware of this and thats why they wont do anything else for you on the application they sent in.

No harm to try contact the HR person direct and ask to speak to them, but I wouldnt hold out a lot of hope :(

Seriously snotty email to the recruitment agency is in order though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I would agree with the snotty email to the recruiter. I've had a great experience with one recently thankfully but that is the first out of a lot of dealings with them. I always say that they are not to send any of my information or CV anywhere without my direct approval via email.

I hope the company get back to you soon. I'd say they'd understand the situation and it shouldn't look bad against you. Good luck.

Just to update - got a call from the company this morning to arrange an interview for next week :) No mention of the email - the woman I contacted is on the interview panel but it was a different woman who phoned me. Not sure whether it was a result of my original application or my follow-up email but either way, I'm delighted. Fingers crossed, and thanks again for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Sounds like they sent your profile to the company who were interested in meeting but when it transpired youd already sent in an application they wanted to make it look to the client company that it was through themselves that they got your CV. Just the recruiters trying to get a fee.
    Most likely when they originally sent in your CV that they took out any details like names contact info etc.

Advertisement