Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stray homing pigeon, what to do?

• 10-08-2016 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, hope this is the right place for this!

A homing pigeon has been in our garden for about a week, disappearing for an hour here or there.

We can't take it into the house because our dog can't deal with other animals around her, but we've been leaving it out birdseed, fat balls, water and bread (soaked in water to soften it).

I went to the Irish Homing Union site and put in its tag details, which gave me a contact number for its owner. However, I've called and texted the number several times since Monday, and it's been switched off the entire time, so presumably it's an out of date number.

Is there anywhere I could find the owners? I've tried searching for pages on Facebook but none are very active, and the IHU's website isn't very helpful, just directing me to put in the tag details, which I've done.

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Extra post to add:

It's not eating the food we've been leaving out, and is very scared and seems weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Email the IHU and explain the situation - they may have another contact. If the pigeon is no good at racing the owner may not be interested in having it back. The last one we called in told us to keep it or wring it's neck

Springwell wrote: »
    Email the IHU and explain the situation - they may have another contact. If the pigeon is no good at racing the owner may not be interested in having it back. The last one we called in told us to keep it or wring it's neck

I can't find an email for them unfortunately. I found a mobile number today, but it's unmanned during the times I'm able to use my phone. I'll try grab a few minutes to call it tomorrow.

Can't believe someone told you to kill one, Jesus. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

I contacted the registered owner of a bird we found stranded, and he didn't seem overly worried. It seems if they get lost enough to get stranded or injured somewhere, the owners don't particularly want the bird back. It's only happened once, so maybe that bird just had a particularly heartless owner. I'm not sure what else you can do, OP. Would the DSPCA or similar be able to advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Penny, sorry but you have a failed racing pigeon, it got lost or ran out of steam either way the owner doesn't really want it back. Some owners will come out and pick them up but no guesses what is likely to happen to them.

• Advertisement

irishhomingunion@hotmail.com

That's the email

If you can't get hold of them and can catch it, let me know I'll try take it

Thanks everyone, and especially to Springwell for the email! I obviously don't know a lot about pigeons, but the last time it happened, the owner was over within 2 hours, didn't realise they were essentially retired when they get away. Poor little thing seems very scared.

I'll email them now and will update :) thanks guys!

Advertisement