Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Town Centre increased parking fee

Options
  • 10-08-2016 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I very rarely go there as I have an aversion to being asked to pay to park for the privilege of making purchases in a shopping centre. Like Ticketmaster it's a licence to print money. When I went to the machine it asked for €3 instead of €2, an increase of 50%. Classic rip-off. Luckily I had 30 of my 10 cent parking coin collection with me. I won't be going there again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Literally just noticed this myself, came out here today and seen the same thing.

Bloody 50% increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shameful.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Noticed that last week , cost me 12 euro in parking.
    I reckon they'll make an extra 3.6 million per year out of it.

The sale went though in July, the new owners must be trying to maximise their return. I reckon it'll be the coffee shops that are most affected by the increase.

I emailed them looking for an explanation.

Another reason to do all my shopping with lidl Aldi and online.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Neither is in the Dundrum Town Centre.

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I emailed them looking for an explanation.

Another reason to do all my shopping with lidl Aldi and online.

It's got new owners ..

First Up wrote: »
    Neither is in the Dundrum Town Centre.

Exactly

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I parked in the Tesco car park in Dundrum, recently. Tesco validated my ticket and I don't think that I had to pay anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Its €3 for up to 3 hours - so it disincentives those just going in for an hour. Its €3 an hour thereafter.

€3 flat rate from 6pm to 11pm

Compared to city centre its quite good value.

Compared to Liffey Valley, its bad value.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Dinging

I parked in the Tesco car park in Dundrum, recently. Tesco validated my ticket and I don't think that I had to pay anything.

Which is great because back in November 2015 Tesco dropped their free parking if you spent over €30 and charged the €2 for the carpark. http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/tesco-parks-its-dundrum-discount-1.2436924 so hopefully this is back and parking is free again (terms and conditions apply)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Shocking level of increase.

I can't stand the place myself and if I ever do go I try to nip in and out as early in the day as possible, this is just another reason to go less often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I also stay away due to the pay parking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

paid parking was a condition of planning permission AFAIK. Imagine how much more traffic there would be without it and using it for luas park and ride etc...

VincePP wrote: »
    Its €3 for up to 3 hours - so it disincentives those just going in for an hour. Its €3 an hour thereafter.

€3 flat rate from 6pm to 11pm

Compared to city centre its quite good value.

Compared to Liffey Valley, its bad value.

On street parking is free after 7 in town

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Idbatterim wrote: »
    paid parking was a condition of planning permission AFAIK. Imagine how much more traffic there would be without it and using it for luas park and ride etc...

I don't mind paying for it,its the increase that I have a problem with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

It used to be €2 for first 2 hours. Now €3 for first 3 hours. Technically not an increase - actually a decrease if you normally stayed longer than two hours. But definitely an increase if you normally stay less than 2 hours - a 50% increase.

However they are selling the new charging structure as "€3 for first hour and two extra free hours" - yeh right!

ted1 wrote: »
    On street parking is free after 7 in town

On street parking in dundrum is free after 6 - not much of it though.

If you are in short stay mode tou can park in the old centre and get your ticket validated by Aldi or Lidl (whichever it is) for a modest purchase. (Or use a meter on the street.)

Wouldn't see the point of "popping in" to DTC anyway. Not exactly designed for that. But we usually get our business done in two hours so the increase is unwelcome, although hardly a disaster. Still cheaper than city centre.

VincePP wrote: »
    On street parking in dundrum is free after 6 - not much of it though.
    No - like most other areas it is pay and display till 19:00 hrs Mon to Sat - at least Main Street is!
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2900438,-6.2444132,3a,37.5y,68.75h,93.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slZ3ENMPkXX0DevR31cFy8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    No - like most other areas it is pay and display till 19:00 hrs Mon to Sat - at least Main Street is!
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2900438,-6.2444132,3a,37.5y,68.75h,93.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slZ3ENMPkXX0DevR31cFy8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Obviously tis a while since I was parking in dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    It used to be €2 for first 2 hours. Now €3 for first 3 hours. Technically not an increase - actually a decrease if you normally stayed longer than two hours. But definitely an increase if you normally stay less than 2 hours - a 50% increase.
    It used to be €2 for up to THREE hours. I went to the cinema once and, having checked the length of the film programme, I timed my entrance so that my exit would be within the three hours. (by about 5 minutes). It would now cost €3 for that.

The reason they introduced the €2 for up to 3 hours was that they opened with €2 per hour and people decided to either not go or park all over adjacent housing estates instead. It was absolute bedlam for local residents.

If you are in short stay mode tou can park in the old centre and get your ticket validated by Aldi or Lidl (whichever it is) for a modest purchase. (Or use a meter on the street.)

Wouldn't see the point of "popping in" to DTC anyway. Not exactly designed for that. But we usually get our business done in two hours so the increase is unwelcome, although hardly a disaster. Still cheaper than city centre.

My misses manages to pop in about 3 times a week..,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They're the only out of town centre that charge for parking, despite none of them having alternative parking nearby.

Blanch has a free multi-storey among others
    Liffey Valley is free
    The Square is free for 2hrs
    Pavilions SC free for 2hrs

vote with feet / wheels

xaforb wrote: »
    It used to be €2 for up to THREE hours. I went to the cinema once and, having checked the length of the film programme, I timed my entrance so that my exit would be within the three hours. (by about 5 minutes). It would now cost €3 for that.

The reason they introduced the €2 for up to 3 hours was that they opened with €2 per hour and people decided to either not go or park all over adjacent housing estates instead. It was absolute bedlam for local residents.

Checked with waybackmachine and you are correct - I stand corrected...
    Plain and simple 50% increase across the board!:mad:

sdanseo wrote: »
    vote with feet / wheels
    You would hope that would happen but I feel that most people who go there don't stop to even think that they're being ripped off and will just pay it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Got caught for the increase this week, knew it had gone up as I had €2 at the ready when I went to the machine and had to dig in for the extra euro. They will clean up in the next few weeks with the back to school business, a lot of the mummies won't know about the increase.

Agree with earlier poster that the coffee shops are likely to suffer most from the increase. With all the eateries there, it is a surprising increase considering it applies even if you're only there for an hour or less to have lunch.

I'm curious about what people do in DTC for 2-3 hours and how much they spend, if they can get upset about an extra euro for parking. Does that mean it represents a significant part of their total outlay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I'm curious about what people do in DTC for 2-3 hours and how much they spend, if they can get upset about an extra euro for parking. Does that mean it represents a significant part of their total outlay?

I sometimes go to the cinema there for 2+ hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

First Up wrote:

I regularly drop in for milk, baby formula, nappies, etc. When I do that, I go when it's quiet and get in and out inside the free parking allowance. Paying an extra €3 would be a significant extra.

On the other hand, if I'm going to the cinema or shopping with my family, the €2 or €3 isn't going to bother me at all.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    My misses manages to pop in about 3 times a week..,

Before:
    52 x 3 = 156 x €2 = €312

After:
    52 x 3 = 156 x €3 = €468 (an increase of €156)

...and that's before a cent is spent on purchases. I could think of a lot of things I could use that kind of money for :).

Advertisement