Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Town Centre increased parking fee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

markpb wrote: »
    I regularly drop in for milk, baby formula, nappies, etc. When I do that, I go when it's quiet and get in and out inside the free parking allowance. Paying an extra €3 would be a significant extra.

On the other hand, if I'm going to the cinema or shopping with my family, the €2 or €3 isn't going to bother me at all.

You can buy milk, baby formula and nappies just about anywhere. Why go to DTC for them?

xaforb wrote: »
    Before:
    52 x 3 = 156 x €2 = €312

After:
    52 x 3 = 156 x €3 = €468 (an increase of €156)

...and that's before a cent is spent on purchases. I could think of a lot of things I could use that kind of money for :).

Popping in three times a week at €2 a pop is already wasting €4 a week. Do it all in one longer visit at €3 and you SAVE €3!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

xaforb wrote: »
    Before:
    52 x 3 = 156 x €2 = €312

After:
    52 x 3 = 156 x €3 = €468 (an increase of €156)

...and that's before a cent is spent on purchases. I could think of a lot of things I could use that kind of money for :).
    It keeps her out if the house so there's a saving on heating .... Full time mums have a lot of spare time

ted1 wrote: »
    It keeps her out if the house so there's a saving on heating .... Full time mums have a lot of spare time

Point her towards Marlay Park. Cheaper and healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

markpb wrote: »
    .... I go when it's quiet and get in and out inside the free parking allowance. Paying an extra €3 would be a significant extra.

How many minutes in the free allowance?

I notice that the revised parking charges are now listed on the DTC homepage, not sure if they were there yesterday .... http://www.dundrum.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

coylemj wrote:
    I notice that the revised parking charges are now listed on the DTC homepage, not sure if they were there yesterday ....

I'm not sure if they're published but I think it's about 15 minutes.
    First Up wrote:
    You can buy milk, baby formula and nappies just about anywhere. Why go to DTC for them?

It's about five minutes away from me and Tesco is open till midnight.

markpb wrote:
    It's about five minutes away from me and Tesco is open till midnight.

Still plenty of choice in the area. Tesco Stillorgan is open until 10. Free parking and five minutes from DTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

First Up wrote:
    Still plenty of choice in the area. Tesco Stillorgan is open until 10. Free parking and five minutes from DTC.

10pm is not midnight though. And my shopping in Dundrum is done quickly enough that I'm not paying for parking.

markpb wrote:
    10pm is not midnight though. And my shopping in Dundrum is done quickly enough that I'm not paying for parking.

Is the 15 minute free parking being stopped?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Some people would argue with their shadow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Why would anyone bother going there at all? I live in dundrum and I'm never there. I go to the cinema occasionally, that is all. Plenty of cheaper options all round, and if you are in a car, then, drive there instead...vote with your...ahem wheels!

Why would anyone bother going there at all? I live in dundrum and I'm never there. I go to the cinema occasionally, that is all. Plenty of cheaper options all round, and if you are in a car, then, drive there instead...vote with your...ahem wheels!

It's sheltered, on a rainy day it beats going to the park. Some people actually like going shopping , browsing the stores looking at the latest fashion etc . I personally don't , but the misses loves it, it'd go as far as saying shopping is a hobby of hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

It's sheltered, on a rainy day it beats going to the park. Some people actually like going shopping , browsing the stores looking at the latest fashion etc . I personally don't , but the misses loves it, it'd go as far as saying shopping is a hobby of hers.

OMG - a shopping centre beats the park? For who? Really? How!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

When Dundrum SC opened first we went to see what the hype was all about. I can't remember how much we paid for parking but we stayed for lunch and were so shocked at the parking fees we didn't go back. There were so many complaints that they reduced the parking fees so I felt occasionally it was ok to pop in now and again but certainly less than once a month. It's not designed for people like me, it was designed for the wealthy who they believe don't notice if they are being ripped off. With this recent hike they won't be seeing me any more but I doubt they will miss me. When the recession hit some shopping centres did away with parking fees for the first two hours, but notice they kept their barriers so when things got better they could reintroduce fees. Things must be on the up if this is happening again. We must fight back by changing our shopping habits. They feed off our habits.

OMG - a shopping centre beats the park? For who? Really? How!

In a rainy day it sure does. As I said Wifey is a stay at home mum, she gets to the park plenty of times during the week.

Your username is quite appropriate ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I also noticed the increase the other day, it's a bit much! I didn't mind paying 2 €, but a 50% increase is a bit cheeky! It's a handy location for me and I like going there, but I'll be going less often now.

In a rainy day it sure does. As I said Wifey is a stay at home mum, she gets to the park plenty of times during the week.

One of the greatest pleasures in life is to walk through a park on a rainy day and smell the scents released by the rain.

I just cant conceive of anyone actually ENJOYING a place like DSC. I can understand having to go there to go to a particular shop or get something specific or go to the cinema etc.

But the notion of going to it "for something to do" baffles me. Its mindless and a LOT of the shops in there cater to the most shallow of fashionistas. I just dont get it.

There are so many pleasant things one could be doing that would enrich ones life and well being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

One of the greatest pleasures in life is to walk through a park on a rainy day and smell the scents released by the rain.

I just cant conceive of anyone actually ENJOYING a place like DSC. I can understand having to go there to go to a particular shop or get something specific or go to the cinema etc.

But the notion of going to it "for something to do" baffles me. Its mindless and a LOT of the shops in there cater to the most shallow of fashionistas. I just dont get it.

There are so many pleasant things one could be doing that would enrich ones life and well being.

Dragging three kids to the park on a wet day wouldn't be my idea of fun.... But each to their own.
    I think there may be a parks forum that you may be more suited too as this topic is about parking in a underground car park in a shopping centre

Dragging three kids to the park on a wet day wouldn't be my idea of fun.... But each to their own.
    I think there may be a parks forum that you may be more suited too as this topic is about parking in a underground car park in a shopping centre

Indeed and I have and continue to maintain that the increased fee will totally put off people like myself who only pop in for short periods when absolutely necessary.

For people who get their pleasure from aimlessly wandering corridors of shops for hours on end it may not bother them so much. I guess it depends on how much money they are spending as part of the "something to do" event that is "going to the shopping centre for fun".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Craicho5

On street parking is free after 7 in town

Depends where in town

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

I'm someone who lives in one of the "free" parking roads near the centre. As I write this, we have a car blocking 3/4 of our drive way. The guards have been up and told us we could manoeuvre in or out of our driveway with difficulty, but as it's not impossible they would not be removing the offending car. This has been a regular occurrence since the DTC opened. Charging 2 or 3 Euro makes no difference, a large number of the workers there just won't pay, nor will a lot of the shoppers. Every morning, from 7 am, cars are driving up and down the road, looking for parking. Our Residents Association regularly place notices on cars, advising that they have been blocking driveways all day, often all night too, but nothing changes. The DTC has parking for 5 euro a day for its workers in the car park opposite the cinema end. People won't pay that either. Maybe you say why should they pay? If you work in a place where parking is an issue, you don't have a choice, if you want to take your car. I hope somebody who regularly parks up off Barton Road is reading this. You have no idea how much upset and distress blocking driveways causes for residents. If we wish to go to work, shopping etc, we have to manoeuvre past your cars, trying not to mark them. Visibility is blocked also, meaning seeing cars driving up/down the road is difficult, if not impossible. Coming home and trying to reverse into our driveways is so stressful. The residents here are a mixture of elderly people, young families and people with disabilities. I have seen neighbours in tears over this issue. And each day it continues. The cars are parked. The driver gets out with his/her head stuck into a phone, they rush down the road and could not give a damn about those of us who have to deal with the consequences of their selfish, inconsiderate behaviour for the next 8 - 12 hours. One day I asked a young girl to move her car up as she was blocking my driveway. I got told to f**k off and off she went.

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I'm someone who lives in one of the "free" parking roads near the centre. As I write this, we have a car blocking 3/4 of our drive way. The guards have been up and told us we could manoeuvre in or out of our driveway with difficulty, but as it's not impossible they would not be removing the offending car. This has been a regular occurrence since the DTC opened. Charging 2 or 3 Euro makes no difference, a large number of the workers there just won't pay, nor will a lot of the shoppers. Every morning, from 7 am, cars are driving up and down the road, looking for parking. Our Residents Association regularly place notices on cars, advising that they have been blocking driveways all day, often all night too, but nothing changes. The DTC has parking for 5 euro a day for its workers in the car park opposite the cinema end. People won't pay that either. Maybe you say why should they pay? If you work in a place where parking is an issue, you don't have a choice, if you want to take your car. I hope somebody who regularly parks up off Barton Road is reading this. You have no idea how much upset and distress blocking driveways causes for residents. If we wish to go to work, shopping etc, we have to manoeuvre past your cars, trying not to mark them. Visibility is blocked also, meaning seeing cars driving up/down the road is difficult, if not impossible. Coming home and trying to reverse into our driveways is so stressful. The residents here are a mixture of elderly people, young families and people with disabilities. I have seen neighbours in tears over this issue. And each day it continues. The cars are parked. The driver gets out with his/her head stuck into a phone, they rush down the road and could not give a damn about those of us who have to deal with the consequences of their selfish, inconsiderate behaviour for the next 8 - 12 hours. One day I asked a young girl to move her car up as she was blocking my driveway. I got told to f**k off and off she went.

I've family members living in a similar location and he has had the guards remove cars before without to much hassle .

Are you sure they are all shoppers? I'd have thought many are using the Luas.

First Up wrote: »
    Are you sure they are all shoppers? I'd have thought many are using the Luas.

DTC staff / shoppers Barton road is a good bit away from the LUAS for ditch and ride.

ted1 wrote:
    Workers / shoppers Barton road is a good bit away from the LUAS for ditch and ride.

10 minutes max. Not that far if you going to be in town all day. Are the cars moving coming and going every few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Full time mums have a lot of spare time

If I said that about my missus she would skull me.

I'm someone who lives in one of the "free" parking roads near the centre. One day I asked a young girl to move her car up as she was blocking my driveway. I got told to f**k off and off she went.

I would let the air out of all 4 tyres every time someone parked in front of my driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I'm someone who lives in one of the "free" parking roads near the centre. As I write this, we have a car blocking 3/4 of our drive way. The guards have been up and told us we could manoeuvre in or out of our driveway with difficulty, but as it's not impossible they would not be removing the offending car. T

The residents assoc must be strong about this and possibly get every resident to sign a petition to make the road disc parking monday to friday. It may cause a little hassle, but it will be well worth it - have a look at the residential roads around St Vincents Hospital to see how it works so well. I think you need near 100% of residents to sign the petition.
    I would let the air out of all 4 tyres every time someone parked in front of my driveway.
    Problem is that its not illegal to park on a public road even if its residential and you would be the one accused of criminal damage.

VincePP wrote: »
    Problem is that its not illegal to park on a public road even if its residential and you would be the one accused of criminal damage.

Its not - but it is illegal to block someones access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You do realise if she reads this you're not getting fed for the rest of the week! :D

21/25

Advertisement