Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Town Centre increased parking fee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

VincePP wrote: »
    Problem is that its not illegal to park on a public road even if its residential and you would be the one accused of criminal damage.

Who is going to accuse you? the owner of the car? Let them accuse away, I cant see any of the neighbours grassing you up if they get the same problem outside their doors. I bet they wont ever park outside your door again. get the other neighbours to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Just out of there now - shocked at the increase to €3. I also think that tesco has a sign saying new hours were til 7pm Mon-Wed, 8pm Thurs, 7 pm Friday??? Didn't pay too much attention as I hate Tesco in general but I find Dunnes prices have risen incredibly in last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just out of there now - shocked at the increase to €3. I also think that tesco hasd a sign sayiung new hours were til 7pm Mon-Wed, 8pm Thurs, 7 pm Friday??? Didn't pay too much atteantion as I hate Tesco in general but I find Dunnes prices have risen incredibly in last few months.

Raise them now and then do a sale when schools back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The centre was just sold recently, and I think the new owners have plans for expansion, so will be using this extra income to try help finance that.

Prior to that it was owned by NAMA, who would have had no interest in making long term decisions like that, and probably didn't want to risk a drop in footfall while trying to maximise their sale price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When I go to Dundrum I'll always try to park in the carpark outside the centre opposite winters. I usually get a spot there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Who is going to accuse you? the owner of the car? Let them accuse away, I cant see any of the neighbours grassing you up if they get the same problem outside their doors. I bet they wont ever park outside your door again. get the other neighbours to do the same.

You'd risk a criminal prosecution over a little parking issue?

My guess is you are quite young and don't understand the massive consequences of a criminal prosecution.

Btw - You'll always have one person who would delight in complaining about a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

smash wrote: »
    When I go to Dundrum I'll always try to park in the carpark outside the centre opposite winters. I usually get a spot there too.

Hope you don't park in the middle of the passageways preventing others from exiting. I can't understand why gardai/clampers don't come there every day - they could increase their clamping income by thousands each day (and it would save others, like me, having to bounce people's cars out of the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

While I agree with the general concenses that this increase is way over the top, please have pity on us poor souls down here in Newbridge.

Here we have a SC ( Whitewater ) that hasn't even got an anchor tenant, is only a fraction the size of Dundrum, and yet they want to charge us €1.30/hr ( up to a maximum of €4.00/day ) for this 'privelige'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Of course people can avoid the parking charges completely by using any of the LUAS, Dublin Coach, 14, 17, 44, 61 or 75 bus routes to/from Dundrum. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

While I agree with the general concenses that this increase is way over the top, please have pity on us poor souls down here in Newbridge.

Here we have a SC ( Whitewater ) that hasn't even got an anchor tenant, is only a fraction the size of Dundrum, and yet they want to charge us €1.30/hr ( up to a maximum of €4.00/day ) for this 'privelige'.

Isn't Debenhams there and a mid sized M&S?

A supermarket would not necessarily be seen as an anchor tenant in shopping centres - Liffey Valley is one example. If anything a supermarket is a hindrance to shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

lxflyer wrote: »
    Of course people can avoid the parking charges completely by using any of the LUAS, Dublin Coach, 14, 17, 44, 61 or 75 bus routes to/from Dundrum. ;-)

Itd be handy if you lived somewhere where there were public transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Itd be handy if you lived somewhere where there were public transport links.

Did you chose to live somewhere that has none, or did they take them all away after you moved in?

First Up wrote: »
    Did you chose to live somewhere that has none, or did they take them all away after you moved in?

eh, you know most places dont have a direct bus or train to Dundrum right?

And a lot of places in Ireland dont even have any decent level of access to public transport - at all.

Do you know what percentage of the population have access to green line LUAS, Dublin Coach, 14, 17, 44, 61 or 75? Because these are the ones that go to Dundrum. So unless you live somewhere that these options are accessible, youll probably be taking a car to Dundrum Shopping Centre, and paying extra for parking.

Now. Did you actually have anything to contribute other than a pathetic attempt at a dig at me?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

My guess is that those who refer to it as "Dan-Dram" will continue to drive their big cars to it and pay without batting an eyelid.

The rest of us who call it by its proper name of Dundrum will probably drive there less frequently or, like me, not at all.

Now. Did you actually have anything to contribute other than a pathetic attempt at a dig at me?

The DTC is well served by public transport. If you chose to live somewhere without access to public transport, you have the option of doing something about it.

The DTC is well served by public transport. If you chose to live somewhere without access to public transport, you have the option of doing something about it.

Yes. I can drive to the shopping centre and pay the increased parking fee which is what is under discussion here.

Or are you trying to suggest that people move house is it?

Im not really sure what point you are trying to make.

Im not really sure what point you are trying to make.

You said it would be handy if you lived somewhere with public transport links. I am taking your statement to its logical conclusion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

All this moaning over €1 :pac:

Frequent visitor to Dundrum. Once a week nearly. Definitely fortnightly. €1 won't stop me from visiting.

You said it would be handy if you lived somewhere with public transport links. I am taking your statement to its logical conclusion.

Youre not making any sense, Ill leave you to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hope you don't park in the middle of the passageways preventing others from exiting. I can't understand why gardai/clampers don't come there every day - they could increase their clamping income by thousands each day (and it would save others, like me, having to bounce people's cars out of the way).

No I'm not one of those assholes although I have been blocked in by them in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Remind me again, for those with access to the DART, which station is within walking distance of Dundrum? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭markpb

Remind me again, for those with access to the DART, which station is within walking distance of Dundrum?

He said public transport - not Dart, not all public transport. Why are you arguing with something he didn't say?

Anyway it's Dun Laoghaire and 75.

Remind me again, for those with access to the DART, which station is within walking distance of Dundrum?

All of them, depending on how far you are prepared to walk.
    Failing that, there are several buses and the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

markpb wrote: »
    He said public transport - not Dart, not all public transport. Why are you arguing with something he didn't say?
    He actually said "somewhere without access to public transport". Look, there are plenty of areas with excellent public transport links in Dublin (i.e. DART, various QBCs, red Luas line) from which Dundrum is not very accessible. If you're not on the green Luas line, it has very poor connectivity, as Dundrum always did prior to the introduction of the Luas.
    Anyway it's Dun Laoghaire and 75..
    First Up wrote:
    The 75 is a very poor bus service. And walking from Dun Laoghaire to Dundrum (8.6km or 1 h 45 min on Google Maps), potentially with a family in tow? Good luck with that :rolleyes:

I'm a regular user of public transport and a fan of the Luas, but the idea that Dundrum is universally accessible is unrealistic. There's a reason why the centre can charge a premium for car parking.

I'm a regular user of public transport and a fan of the Luas, but the idea that Dundrum is universally accessible is unrealistic. There's a reason why the centre can charge a premium for car parking.

There is a difference between " convenient" and "accessible". The Luas goes from Stephens Green, which could hardly be described as a remote location.

If you want to get to Dundrum badly enough and can't face the thought of paying €3 to park, there are plenty of other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Failing that, there are several buses and the Luas.

In fairness, the nearest DART station is probably Booterstown - a 5k (up to an hour) walk each way. Not really walking distance, especially if you are potentially carrying shopping etc on the way back and may be with children also. I do agree that many people would see a 20-30 minute walk as being a lot, when it's not and very do-able, but 5k is not practical for the majority as "walking distance"

In fairness, the nearest DART station is probably Booterstown - a 5k (up to an hour) walk each way. Not really walking distance, especially if you are potentially carrying shopping etc on the way back and may be with children also. I do agree that many people would see a 20-30 minute walk as being a lot, when it's not and very do-able, but 5k is not practical for the majority as "walking distance"

I was being sarcastic. Dundrum is not served by the DART as even a cursory glance at a map will reveal. It is however served by Luas and buses.

lxflyer wrote: »

What about the 44B??? LOL

VincePP wrote: »
    Isn't Debenhams there and a mid sized M&S?

A supermarket would not necessarily be seen as an anchor tenant in shopping centres - Liffey Valley is one example. If anything a supermarket is a hindrance to shopping.

Yes, you are right, there is a Debenhams & an M&S in Whitewater. But for me, a SC needs a tenant in the supermarket business ( IMHO, one could never do their monthly groceries in M&S ) who draws feet ( even Dundrum has Tesco's ). Only for Dunne's the SC up the road after the Topaz would be a vacant lot - actually sad there are so many vacant shops there.

Don't know about LV, so cannot comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

He actually said "somewhere without access to public transport". Look, there are plenty of areas with excellent public transport links in Dublin (i.e. DART, various QBCs, red Luas line) from which Dundrum is not very accessible. If you're not on the green Luas line, it has very poor connectivity, as Dundrum always did prior to the introduction of the Luas.
    Anyway it's Dun Laoghaire and 75..
    First Up wrote:
    The 75 is a very poor bus service. And walking from Dun Laoghaire to Dundrum (8.6km or 1 h 45 min on Google Maps), potentially with a family in tow? Good luck with that :rolleyes:

The 75 is actually very reliable - I'm not sure how you conclude it's a "very poor bus service"?

Advertisement