Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress.com vs Wix vs Squarespace for IE domain

Options
  • 10-08-2016 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

I have recently registered a .ie domain with Register365. I would like to create my site using one of the free web builders, e.g. Wix, Wordpress.com, Squarespace, Weebly. I find Wix particularly easy and straight forward, so having created a basic 'website coming soon' page I had Register365 change the A and Cname records as per Wix instructions. This did the trick, but only for half an hour or so, after which I got a Wix error page. I've been unable to fix the issue so am looking to design my site elsewhere.

So, would anybody recommend any of the other web builders? I'd need to know that the domain pointing won't be an issue.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

PS: Hope I'm posting in the appropriate place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I wouldn't use Wix at all.

SquareSpace is good if you don't mind the recurring billing.

WordPress is my favourite but I only recommend it for self-build if you're happy to deal with a significant learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skilark

Thanks Trojan
    A friend installed WordPress for me and so I'm going to give it a go.
    I built a simple WordPress website a couple of years ago so will hopefully manage it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

There are some great YouTube tutorials for WP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

wix is decent IMO though trying to find where to ask them a question is a nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

wix is poor (some of the under the bonnet stuff is head-scratching) and has email hosting issues and .ie domain issues.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

tricky D wrote: »
    wix is poor (some of the under the bonnet stuff is head-scratching) and has email hosting issues and .ie domain issues.

There's ways around hosting the .ie issues thou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

While there are ways around it, it is an extra layers which can be confusing* to the wix market which is more to the novice end.

*As you are currently experiencing re hosting.

Despite those issues being solvable, wix is still a poor platform in my experience. Wordpress is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sheila76

Wordpress is great, that is coming from someone only starting out in websites!

Advertisement