Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water from Stillorgan Reservoir

Options
  • 10-08-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed that gets their water from the Stillorgan reservoir a slightly different taste to the water. Im convinced the taste of the water has changed recently. It not unpleasant but just does not take like it used to. According to this https://www.epa.ie/pubs/advice/drinkingwater/epadrinkingwaterauditreports/Stillorgan.pdf Irish water have upgraded the UV and chlorination systems. From my limited understanding the UV is just a light source that the water passes through but I'm wondering if the upgraded chlorination system has had an impact on the taste. Or it could be that as I am not smoking anymore and the water has always tasted like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Dinging wrote: »
    Or it could be that as I am not smoking anymore and the water has always tasted like this.

Considering that smoking kills your taste buds but once you give up they awaken again, that may be your answer.

And if it was 20 a day, you could buy about 50 litres of bottled water a day and still save money! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

I understand they intend to put a cover over the reservoir in the next few years!
    What area is actually served by the Stillorgan supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They add chlorine according to the risk. In warm weather there is more growth of bacteria etc. If water levels are low it can be increased. If pipework is damaged they might also dump lots in.

It is only ever in the summer that I find water to be sometimes undrinkable or offensive due to chlorine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm in the area served by that reservoir, and we all noticed a sort of rubbery taste in the water over this past week. For 2 days it was so bad that we bought bottled water to drink!
    But the weird taste has gone away now. So it may not be just your ex-smoker tastebuds - there really was something in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Let's hope it was tyres rather than johnnies eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

next time you're up in the industrial estate have a look at the pitched roof buildings across the road from the reservoir. See all those gulls sitting there? Where do you reckon they shite? That's right, in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

woejus wrote: »
    next time you're up in the industrial estate have a look at the pitched roof buildings across the road from the reservoir. See all those gulls sitting there? Where do you reckon they shite? That's right, in the water.

Back when I was a kid at Benildus school, you'd hear a huge noise at the resevoir at intervals to keep the birds away from the water. Not any more - either the local residents said enough or the birds just got used to it.

Would stillorgan not have filter beds for the water - or is it already filtered up at vartry and stillorgan is just a huge holding tank?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

woejus wrote: »
    See all those gulls sitting there? Where do you reckon they shite? That's right, in the water.

Funny that - when the seagulls look at us and look out over the sea, they have exactly the same thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

dogmatix wrote: »
    Back when I was a kid at Benildus school, you'd hear a huge noise at the resevoir at intervals to keep the birds away from the water. Not any more - either the local residents said enough or the birds just got used to it.

Would stillorgan not have filter beds for the water - or is it already filtered up at vartry and stillorgan is just a huge holding tank?

There is definitely chemical and UV treatment taking place at the reservoir. Not sure what the process will be once they drain it and build the new covered tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

It was probably discoloured by all the young lads pissing in it while swimming there during the summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement