Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a 8-15 hour Campaign

• 10-08-2016 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

No Man's Sky has just hit the shelves so what better time for some counter-programming!

I've played plenty of short games recently like Firewatch, Abzu and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. All are the perfect antidote to the 60+ hour titles that we've become used to.

However, this time around I'm specifically on the look-out for more conventional, genre-type fare. Soma was a cracking little 10 hour survival horror and of course Wolfenstein: The New Order was a welcome return to the no-nonsense, 15-hour first-person campaign.

All suggestions are welcome, but I'm personally interested in PS4 or late PS3 era third-person games. Also, I was away from gaming for a while so apart from Naughty Dog's output no recommendations are 'too obvious'.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Pickpocket wrote: »
    No Man's Sky has just hit the shelves so what better time for some counter-programming!

I've played plenty of short games recently like Firewatch, Abzu and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. All are the perfect antidote to the 60+ hour titles that we've become used to.

However, this time around I'm specifically on the look-out for more conventional, genre-type fare. Soma was a cracking little 10 hour survival horror and of course Wolfenstein: The New Order was a welcome return to the no-nonsense, 15-hour first-person campaign.

All suggestions are welcome, but I'm personally interested in PS4 or late PS3 era third-person games. Also, I was away from gaming for a while so apart from Naughty Dog's output no recommendations are 'too obvious'.

Many thanks.
    Brothers is a lovely little game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Charizard wrote: »
    Brothers is a lovely little game

I hadn't heard of it before. It looks fantastic!

I hadn't heard of it before. It looks fantastic!

Took me by surprise aswell, nows its the first game I tell people to try :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Infamous Second Son is very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I only have a PS3 at the moment but here's what I'd recommend:

Tomb Raider, Life is Strange, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Sleeping Dogs, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Metro Last Light and DmC are all on PS4 and their campaigns would be around the 15 hour mark.

Indie games like Steamworld Dig, Lone Survivor

Spec Ops: The Line, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Portal 2, Max Payne 3, any of the Batman games and Bioshock 1 & 2 are worth playing on the PS3

Slightly longer but worth checking out would be Alien Isolation clocking in at just over 20 hours or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Shadow Warrior
    Murdered Soul Suspect
    Shadow of Mordor
    Shadows of the Damned
    Catherine - if you have weird fetishes
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    Vanquish

Basically anything with the word 'shadow' in it!

Some great looking games in there. Thanks for all the recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I know you mentioned specifically third person games, but as you liked Wolfenstein, the new Doom is absolutely excellent too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doom is pretty much the best shooter in years. I'd highly recommend it. I don't really like FPS games but Doom is just amazing. Feels like what Platinum would make if they tried to do a FPS game.

I know you mentioned specifically third person games, but as you liked Wolfenstein, the new Doom is absolutely excellent too.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Doom is pretty much the best shooter in years. I'd highly recommend it. I don't really like FPS games but Doom is just amazing. Feels like what Platinum would make if they tried to do a FPS game.

I tried the beta and hated it. Then I tried the demo, loved it, but became bored of it very quickly. The gunplay felt very satisfying but the constant intensity turned me right off. It just never let up. However I'll definitely be returning to it at some stage as it's undoubtedly a very classy shooter.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I keep thinking of getting it, because Im not a shooter game guy I dont think id play it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I don't usually play story syle choice games but these are pretty good:

Until Dawn (Think every teen horror movie and yes there is a log cabin too)

Life Is Strange (A young photography student gets time travel powers the consequences of her choices are far reaching. Awesome Soundtrack! )

Beyond Two Souls ( If you have seen stranger things its basically the story of 11. If you haven't its the story of a little girl who has a supernatural friend who the goverment is very interested in.)

Heavy Rain ( Stories interconnect. The Origami killer is on the loose. A red balloon. So much rain!!!!)

These can all be got for PS4 and are pretty chill games with great stories.

I don't usually play story syle choice games but these are pretty good:

Until Dawn (Think every teen horror movie and yes there is a log cabin too)

Life Is Strange (A young photography student gets time travel powers the consequences of her choices are far reaching. Awesome Soundtrack! )

Beyond Two Souls ( If you have seen stranger things its basically the story of 11. If you haven't its the story of a little girl who has a supernatural friend who the goverment is very interested in.)

Heavy Rain ( Stories interconnect. The Origami killer is on the loose. A red balloon. So much rain!!!!)

These can all be got for PS4 and are pretty chill games with great stories.

I just bought Until Dawn today and Life is Strange is also on my list.

I played Heavy Rain at release but I never beat it. I remember it being fundamentally different to everything I'd ever played.

The Cane and Rinse podcast covered both that and Beyond: Two Souls in great detail. The contributors had huge problems with both games, and the man behind them, David Cage. Two very interesting pieces of game analysis for anyone that's interested.

I played Heavy Rain at release but I never beat it. I remember it being fundamentally different to everything I'd ever played.

The Cane and Rinse podcast covered both that and Beyond: Two Souls in great detail. The contributors had huge problems with both games, and the man behind them, David Cage. Two very interesting pieces of game analysis for anyone that's interested.

Heavy Rain is terrible. Just played it there recently. I wouldn't bother with it at all. Very little gameplay in Beyond as well. It's quite boring waiting for QTEs and the story is pure nonsense. Not as bad as Heavy Rain though. Did I mention how bad it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophesy is being rereleased soon so if you want to see where all the craziness of Heavy Rain started then I sincerely suggest you buy it
    Seriously it's bonkers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Heavy Rain is terrible. Just played it there recently. I wouldn't bother with it at all. Very little gameplay in Beyond as well. It's quite boring waiting for QTEs and the story is pure nonsense. Not as bad as Heavy Rain though. Did I mention how bad it is?

Harsh on Heavy Rain, maybe you weren't smart enough to get through it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

And fundamentally flawed unfortunately.

You know when you are watching a great thriller and the protagonist finds himself stuck in a quandary with seemingly no obvious solution or explanation?

You know when this situation is eventually solved or explained and the whole film is seamlessly woven together within a few minutes?

You know how much satisfaction that gives you?

Heavy Rain doesn't do this. :D

I think the general consensus of the Cane and Rinse panel is that they were failures, particularly in terms of plot, but they're important in what they tried to do. I just listened to their analysis of Cage's Fahrenheit and they came to the same conclusion.

I quite enjoy reading or watching 'noble failures' if they ultimately contributed something to the arts, so for that reason I'll probably tackle both games at some stage. But I've been forewarned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Spec ops the line was pretty decent. Much better than I was expecting.

Heavy Rain wasnt that bad, the QTE was fresh at the time.
    The police agent with the holo-goggles wasnt great but the rest was decent.

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »

I never completed it but listening to an analysis of the plot and themes leads me to believe there are some huge leaps in logic employed. In fact, it sounded like the 'smarter' or more critical the gamer, the more jarring the conceits.

Perhaps you're just the right amount of stupid to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Life is Strange is definitely worth a look. The other two I just enjoyed the fact that at the time they were trying to do something different. It doesn't always go that well.

I never completed it but listening to an analysis of the plot and themes leads me to believe there are some huge leaps in logic employed. In fact, it sounded like the 'smarter' or more critical the gamer, the more jarring the conceits.

Perhaps you're just the right amount of stupid to enjoy it.

Sounds about right :) , it was an early PS3 game so not sure how it would stack up for a replay.
    If a game has a good story mode thats all i need.
    The twists and turns were good, uniqueness maybe is overpowering me slightly.

eddhorse wrote: »

I finished it. It really doesn't need any intelligence to complete. It held my attention enough to want to know who the Origami killer but when it revealed who it was... what a pile of poo.

At least Beyond wore it's ridiculousness on its sleeve.

I finished it. It really doesn't need any intelligence to complete. It held my attention enough to want to know who the Origami killer but when it revealed who it was... what a pile of poo.

At least Beyond wore it's ridiculousness on its sleeve.

True on point 2.

Spec ops was a good campaign also.

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs, how long was that again?

Www.howlongtobeat.com

Advertisement