Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB, do they allow foreign addresses?

• 10-08-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have left Ireland but still need my PTSB account. Does anyone know if they allow you to have a foreign address to receive new cards and statements to?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Matt Murdock

Does no one know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

You could try contacting them and asking
    Call Us [URL="tel:1890500121"]1890 500 121[/URL] or [URL="tel:+35312124101"]+353 1 212 4101[/URL]

Open24 page

That could be dangerous as they could simply close my account. Then I would be totally screwed.

So if any PTSB employees or customers could give me an answer before calling them, it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭horse7

i think your meant to be resident in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,012 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ring them and ask what would the options be if you did leave Ireland.

(Surely you've got a family member or trusted friend who would forward mail for you???)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Even if you could get them to record an out of state address, you would have problems when your cash cards expire.
    PTSB require you to activate them in an PTSB ATM before they will work. That will be hard to do from the wilds of Nepal.

Any Irish ATM!

Or you can just ring and activate. Which can be done from a phone box in Nepal!

Or activate online.

Quite, But I think they still needed it to be inserted into an Irish ATM.

They don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I think that's an old thing. Got a new card earlier this year and they just said the first transaction had to be chip & pin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

You have to activate/validate your PTSB Card in an Irish ATM you cannot validate a new card online. You can authorize it online but you cannot use it until validated in an Irish ATM

You also have to use an Irish Mobile Number for your Security code for some transactions, but that should not be an issue just keep your Irish mobile and stick it in your phone abroad to receive your Security text Message

Keep an Irish Address with some family members use "your name" C/O "Parent Name", address etc

skippy2 wrote: »
    You have to activate/validate your PTSB Card in an Irish ATM you cannot validate a new card online. You can authorize it online but you cannot use it until validated in an Irish ATM

Here's the documentation that comes with the card. I just got a new one recently. It can be done over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You can activate your card online so that you can use it for all non contactless transactions, no need to see an ATM.

However if you want to use the contactless function than you need to see an ATM in Ireland.

I got a new card, I activated it online and used it for internet shopping and shopping in a store without a problem, only when wanting to activate the contactless option I had to see an ATM.

Thanks folks for the interesting answers.

If you phone activate, can you use the card overseas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

I have tried to use a new PTSB Debit card to lodge money to a Revolut card. This is declined as the card has not been activated in an ATM in Ireland. Contacted PTSB abd they have said this is correct I have to validate at an ATM in Ireland

Looking like I will have to close my PTSB account. Person on the phone was most aggressive in stating they would close my account. Then they wanted my details, like I came down in the last shower. :D

Are you moving to another EU/EEA country or is it outside that area?

If you are moving to another EU/EEA you have the right to keep you account, otherwise PTSB can do what ever they wish and it looks like they don't want foreign account holders.

I am still in the EU but outside of the CTA.

Do you have any rules I can throw at them?

Banks have the right to refuse accounts due to valid commercial arguments, but if you already have an account and move to another EU country than there should be no reason for them to discriminate against you, especially as you have the right to a basic bank account.

You could contact the European Consumer Centre (ECC) Ireland http://www.eccireland.ie/ and ask them for their opinion.

Nothing is guaranteed in this case and with Ireland having the weakest when it comes to enforce consumer rights, it might not result into anything, but at least you could try.

But you might be better off getting an account in the country you are now residing, why would you like to keep your PTSB account?

• Advertisement
Advertisement