Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd one for ya!!

Options
  • 10-08-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a custom cable which plugs into the 12v cigarette socket in the boot of my car. Somehow the tip of the socket got broken and not only that the broken piece was lost, see attached.

Any suggestions as to how I might get the plug part of the cable replaced or repaired? I tried several electronic/phone fix type places with no luck.

IMG201608101705071470859325.jpg

IMG201608101705181470859351.jpg

IMG201608101704431470859391.jpg

I tried but can't get a replacement, it's not manufactured any more so I somehow need to get it repaired. Can anyone link to where I can source a replacement "plug" which I could re-wire myself? I tried on eBay, Amazon etc without success.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Halfords I'd reckon would be a good bet. Failing that radionics or maplin should have them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭54and56

Stoner wrote: »

Thanks Stoner. So are you suggesting I buy something like http://cpc.farnell.com/carpoint/0523432/2-way-socket-with-usb/dp/CP05742 and then strip the plug from that and use it to replace my broken "plug"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What is it powering?

Bruthal wrote: »
    What is it powering?

The harness clips into a cradle which holds and charges a golf trolley battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks Stoner. So are you suggesting I buy something like http://cpc.farnell.com/carpoint/0523432/2-way-socket-with-usb/dp/CP05742 and then strip the plug from that and use it to replace my broken "plug"?
    No need to go that far, you can buy just the plug ...

http://cpc.farnell.com/carpoint/0523414/lighter-plug-12v-8a-fuse/dp/CP05737

You'd probably get one in somewhere like Maplins in Dublin too.

Alun wrote: »
    No need to go that far, you can buy just the plug ...

http://cpc.farnell.com/carpoint/0523414/lighter-plug-12v-8a-fuse/dp/CP05737

You'd probably get one in somewhere like Maplins in Dublin too.

Thanks Alun,

Inspired by the description in the link you sent I found these two on Amazon (easier for me to purchase from) and I'm wondering if they both do the same job or if one is better in terms of functionality or build quality than the other:-

1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amp-Lighter-Aux-Socket-Volt/dp/B004WCZEQ2/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RNPREQDXFZJFSSE5PRY2

2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Durite-Cigarette-Lighter-Plug/dp/B0051OC7UQ/ref=pd_cp_107_1

I'm not sure what the red "adapter" does but I recall my broken plug had a red tip. The description says "Fits most cigarette lighter sockets with red adaptor in place, or DIN socket with the red adaptor removed."

Any suggestions?

Those car lighter plugs are weapons with no independent certification. They can't handle 7 amps continuous. I've melted a fair few and I wouldn't rate them higher than 3amps.
    It's a hollow tin tip with a loose friction fit to a steel spring that's resting on an over-rated fuse. No thermal relief (in fact the steel spring is a heater), no CSA, held in a socket by friction that vibrates loose and starts arcing in no time. :mad: ....garbage!

The red bezel removed to fit hella din sockets which are more capable terminations.

Car-Charger-Power-Adapter-EU-Socket-Connector-Hella-DIN-Plug.jpg_640x640.jpg

Those car lighter plugs are weapons with no independent certification. They can't handle 7 amps continuous. I've melted a fair few and I wouldn't rate them higher than 3amps.
    It's a hollow tin tip with a loose friction fit to a steel spring that's resting on an over-rated fuse. No thermal relief (in fact the steel spring is a heater), no CSA, held in a socket by friction that vibrates loose and starts arcing in no time. :mad: ....garbage!

The red bezel removed to fit hella din sockets which are more capable terminations.

Thanks for the advice Sir Liamalot. I don't understand everything you said but it's clear the two I linked to are at best cr@p and at worst dangerous. As the battery charger is designed to be left plugged in full time I need to ensure I get the right plug.

Chet T16 linked to a range of plugs available from http://www.digikey.ie/product-search/en/battery-products/cigarette-lighter-assemblies/393792 Would you mind looking at it for me and perhaps recommending the best product for my situation?

This one looks the most functional to me - http://www.digikey.ie/product-detail/en/mpd-memory-protection-devices/APP-001-15AMP/APP-001-15AMP-ND/948776

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Yurp...don't get me started on 300W cigarette lighter inverters

SP13 13A

Hella DIN Plug
    Hella DIN Socket 16A

DIN 9680 Socket
    DIN 9680 Plug 25A

Anderson
    30A

Sir Liamalot,

You are forgetting that I'm a total imbecile with no knowledge of these things and now I'm totally confused.com :o

Would you mind linking to the product or products you recommend I purchase in order to get the broken plug re-wired?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what make is the cart, have u tried some of the repair places, I have a pal in Meath so if u give me the name of the cart will ask him

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I don't advocate using that plug for a power application..I'd only recommend a locking type with solid continuous conductors.Hence I'd take the opportunity to replace the socket as well as the plug for a new type that is more capable...or I'd hard wire the charger if it's a permanent install.

If you are happy with the cigarette style plug the 15A digikey one will serve.
    I've melted those with only 7amps though...got so hot the solder melted out of the fuse...I have a collection of daliesque cig. lighter plugs, I don't use them for more than 30watts these days.

Does leaving it permanently connected not discharge the car battery?

what make is the cart, have u tried some of the repair places, I have a pal in Meath so if u give me the name of the cart will ask him

Thanks Calahonda52, appreciate the offer but the charging cradle is an aftermarket product which isn't affiliated with any of the cart manufacturers. It's just a cradle with a wiring harness which has a cigarette charger at one end (now broken) and a standard golf battery plug at the other end.

I'd hard wire the charger if it's a permanent install.
    I could do that (have a permanent harness for it) but don't want to mess around with my car like that.
    Does leaving it permanently connected not discharge the car battery?
    No, it only charges whilst the 12v socket is live which is when the car ignition is on and (IIRC) for a short period of time afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks Stoner. So are you suggesting I buy something like

Sorry their site is down ATM I can't check

Here's an industry rated 15A mains plug above a 15A cigarette lighter plug and a 5A cigarette lighter plug.

394507.jpeg

Notice the significant difference in CSA of the conductor pins. The mains one mates into a barrel socket, the cig. lighter butts a ceramic housed plate; interference fit and spring loaded against the connection. The solid copper pins on the mains plug are also great heat sinks. The 12v one will eventually vibrate loose and arc in a vehicle.

The 15A cig. lighter plug here isn't as bad as I thought, at least they soldered the positive to the fuse holder instead off using the (steel) spring as a conductor.
    Still it melted the solder in the 10A fuse (which I had swapped for the stock 15A fuse).

The 5A plug uses the brass spring as a conductor.

Thanks very much Sir Liamalot, that's helpful info.

Advertisement