Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Canyon diary - are things any better?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Sorry - yes, getting a bike within a week is pretty ok. This isn't a thread to bash Canyon, or to moan about online shopping, it's just a diary to inform other prospective Canyon/Rose customers.

Some elements of the Canyon experience have been a bit off ('UPS don't have enough trucks', for example). If in fact both bikes appear this week, then this is a sample-of-one demonstration that both companies have their act pretty well together, at least for the 'Bike to go' Canyons (and any Rose, it appears), and it might reassure others who are considering benefiting from the amazing value for money that these brands offer.

If, in fact, either bike arrives broken, or not as ordered, or dead late, or... I'll report back, and people can choose (or not) to take my experience into account when making their own buying decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I would only add that you seemed to miss the fact that Canyon have markedly improved their delivery times in recent months. IMO, the 'diary' does read as someone looking to have a go at Canyon in wake of their previous failings last year.

My problem with Canyon isn't with their shipping times or communication with customers. Rather it's their insistence on using proprietary consumable parts on their bikes. But I suppose that's what we have to put up with when we get such good value bikes!

Good luck with what ever bike you choose.

2 weeks does seem an improvement on some of the bad experiences others have had - and over all isn't a bad time to get a bike in - an LBS will take that long if you order a bike. Let it be said that I haven't ordered from them before, so have no reason to have a go at them for last year's failings.

I guess that it's in the nature of a diary that you write how you feel. Maybe it was unrealistic to expect that a 600-person multi-million euro German company could actually put a bike in a box within a week...but I confess that does make me a bit impatient.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Bike actually en route now. Pretty decent updates, courtesy of the online parcel tracker. Probably here by Friday or Monday, I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Be interested to see which one you prefer. When I bought mine I was between Canyon and Rose and went with Canyon as it looked nicer in the pics! You are doing it the right way in ordering both, test driving and returning the one you don't want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

brownian wrote: »
    The fact that both shops send you the bike, and both allow you to return the bike FOC, is clear indication that the suppliers intend that you can return what you don't want.

It's also a legal requirement for you to able to return goods bought online without specific reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

buffalo wrote: »
    It's also a legal requirement for you to able to return goods bought online without specific reason.

As a matter of interest, is it acceptable to have used the goods? For example - actually ride a bike on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

C3PO wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is it acceptable to have used the goods? For example - actually ride a bike on the road?

Yes, at least with Canyon anyway. Once it just normal/minimal wear, which I guessing means no damage/scratches etc.

You see on their outlet store they resell bikes which have some scuffs etc from display models or bikes which have been returned.

I think they have 30 days in their terms but maybe wrong on that.

30 days right of return for distance selling is (IIRC) an EU regulation. Which, for me at least, greatly facilitates distance selling, and making a reality of the 'European Single Market'.

The fact that the return postage is paid by the supplier is (I am fairly sure) a goodwill gesture - they can ask you to pay that. But for big things like bikes, the free return certainly encourages people to take the plunge.

Some place in the small print of one of the companies, there is something like 'we will refund you the full cost, less any reduction in value caused by you'. Neither company says anything like Rapha's 'wear this for a month and return it if you don't love it' policy. Various online fora have concluded that you can ride around the car park, but not up the Sally gap (or equivalent). I am tempted to fit my own wheels, and get in 20k or so on each one, to get some idea of ride quality...but am aware this could be costly.

So, at nine this morning the doorbell rang and the Canyon was there.

Ten days, order to delivery.

I think it's fair to conclude that (at least for 'express bikes' that are also 'bike to go'), their delivery is pretty good.

The bike comes very professionally packed, as you'd expect. As a nice bonus, there's a sort of mini-torque wrench with all the hex heads you'll need, plus a separate hex key for the slightly (but not excessively) fiddly integrated saddle clamp, plus some carbon grip paste, and a manual about an inch thick (in many languages).

Given that it's a manky morning, I'm not going to test-drive it just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Take a few pics of the bike for us please and share them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    it's an interesting state of affairs - brick and mortar retailers are allowed refuse refund based simply on 'i changed my mind' (and obviously the policy on this varies from store to store), but i would feel too cheeky in ordering two bikes online with the express intention of returning at least one.
    that said, i really only ever buy online if i can't find what i want in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

So, at nine this morning the doorbell rang and the Canyon was there.

Ten days, order to delivery.

I think it's fair to conclude that (at least for 'express bikes' that are also 'bike to go'), their delivery is pretty good.

The bike comes very professionally packed, as you'd expect. As a nice bonus, there's a sort of mini-torque wrench with all the hex heads you'll need, plus a separate hex key for the slightly (but not excessively) fiddly integrated saddle clamp, plus some carbon grip paste, and a manual about an inch thick (in many languages).

Given that it's a manky morning, I'm not going to test-drive it just yet.

so what happens now? Are you going to cycle both a few times before deciding which to send back? Or will the one you reject have to be returned unused?

Ive a canyon on order and was in the middle of the sizes but in chat they said to me to order 1 size and once I get it try a spin around my house and not to dirty it and it could be returned for a full refund.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jamesd wrote: »
    Ive a canyon on order and was in the middle of the sizes
    i've heard a rule of thumb that if you're between sizes, measure your full arm span - if it's shorter than your height, go to the lower size, and the converse for the larger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i've heard a rule of thumb that if you're between sizes, measure your full arm span - if it's shorter than your height, go to the lower size, and the converse for the larger size.
    Another rule of thumb is that you can make a small bike larger (with set up) but you can't make a big bike smaller, so if in doubt size down.

I've proven this by successfully riding my son's tiny 24" racer across Dublin through traffic whilst totally failing to safely mount Raam's gigantic cyclocross bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Ordered mine July 29th, bike arrived on Monday 16th Aug

More good delivery results for Canyon (thanks, peneau) - I'm pretty well impressed with delivery in ten days.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

More good delivery results for Canyon (thanks, peneau) - I'm pretty well impressed with delivery in ten days.

Thanks. Yep to Merrion Square before Midday

1bryan wrote: »
    so what happens now? Are you going to cycle both a few times before deciding which to send back? Or will the one you reject have to be returned unused?

I'm treating it like being in a bike shop. I'm (carefully) assembling both so I can compare them face to face (when the Rose gets here). If I fall in love with either one, then that's it. Otherwise, I'll take both for a short spin (probably on my own wheels, to which I would plan to upgrade anyway) up and down a short sharp hill, on a dry day. At that point, I'll wipe down and send back the one I don't prefer.

If I manage to crash/scratch both of them, look out for one of them on adverts - but I'm reasonably sure I can keep them both pristine for long enough to get an idea of which I prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Can I ask canyon buyers if the scanning of their cf bike arts played a part in their decision to purchase. They seem to be the only mfger doing so

@luxman - no. The major factors were

- di2 availability (I have it on my curent bike, and would not go back)
    - value for money (the major driver to go Canyon/Rose)
    - weight of bike (to decide which model to buy - the cost per extra gram goes up exponentially in the 3000+ euro range)
    - online reviews of comfort/descending stability/climbing sprightliness (hard to get a negative review, hence the 'look at both bikes' approach I took)

How's the testing going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

Bought a canyon last year, was due to arrive first week in June but received it mid August.

Broke a nut in the bike above back in June this year and still waiting for the nut ten weeks later, the nut is specific to that bike so can't get it anywhere else.

Basically two summers without my canyon.

Been onto them constantly and while they seem like nice people to deal, I'm still without use of my bike. Fail to see why they can't just take one off a demo model as from what I see the communication between the uk office and German office is non existent.

The thing that annoys me most is that on a couple of occasions received a delivery notification with details of the dispatch date of the nut but never arrives. Then when I contact them they say they are still waiting for the part. Why send me the delivery notification without having the part.

Anyway if I could go back in time I definitely wouldn't buy a canyon again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

makker wrote: »
    Bought a canyon last year, was due to arrive first week in June but received it mid August.

Broke a nut in the bike above back in June this year and still waiting for the nut ten weeks later, the nut is specific to that bike so can't get it anywhere else.

Basically two summers without my canyon.

Been onto them constantly and while they seem like nice people to deal, I'm still without use of my bike. Fail to see why they can't just take one off a demo model as from what I see the communication between the uk office and German office is non existent.

The thing that annoys me most is that on a couple of occasions received a delivery notification with details of the dispatch date of the nut but never arrives. Then when I contact them they say they are still waiting for the part. Why send me the delivery notification without having the part.

Anyway if I could go back in time I definitely wouldn't buy a canyon again

If you were to have a little moan on the Canyon Facebook page (UK one?) they seem to be very responsive.

I am keeping that card up my sleeve as I am waiting on a seat clamp and a head set since march. At this stage I should nearly flag the Canyon emails as spam. Last time I was on Canyon "Chat" I was told I could put my feet up and relax, they would be dispatched the next week. I think that was in July.

I'm very patient tbh. Luckily I don't need that parts, I was just getting them as spares.

Advertisement