Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late buses to Dublin?

Options
  • 10-08-2016 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

Are there any late buses to Dublin from Galway? Google tells me there's a Citylink that leaves at 1 but I can't find it when I try to book it. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hi folks!

Are there any late buses to Dublin from Galway? Google tells me there's a Citylink that leaves at 1 but I can't find it when I try to book it. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance :)

Timetables available on citylinks website, same goes for gobus.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

When I was putting in Dublin City as the destinations, there were no late buses. But I changed it to Dublin airport and the timetable now shows them. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

When I was putting in Dublin City as the destinations, there were no late buses. But I changed it to Dublin airport and the timetable now shows them. Thanks!

You might double check that these "Dublin Airport" buses come into the City centre, unless you plan to go to the airport to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It seems to me that Gobus and Citylink do well out of these services whether it's late or very early buses to Dublin/Airport. Anytime I have been on them they seem well packed.

Is Bus Eireann ever going to join the ranks and enter the fray? There may be union difficulties in getting their drivers to get up and drive a bus at that time (as their colleagues in Go and Citylink do) but it would be a profitable service would it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Actually Bus Eireann fill a gap nicely with their 9.30 pm service (although I think it may go all around the country en route!). Bar the Fri/Sun exceptions, the Galway-Dublin routes have a much smaller late service with all the companies. It's almost as if we want to trap the tourists once they get here :p

AFAIK that Bus Eireann has the latest regular service (9.30) to the City (the later airport buses with others are direct and bypass city).

By and large BE service Galway-Dublin is lamentable. The first bus (as far as I am aware) from Galway is at 06:30 arriving in (according to the timetable) at 10:20 am. I would imagine that would be at least around twenty minutes later given traffic. That is shocking service. Almost four hours.

There is no reason anyone would take a BE bus from Busarus to Galway or the other way given the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bobbyss wrote: »
    By and large BE service Galway-Dublin is lamentable. The first bus (as far as I am aware) from Galway is at 06:30 arriving in (according to the timetable) at 10:20 am. I would imagine that would be at least around twenty minutes later given traffic. That is shocking service. Almost four hours.

There is no reason anyone would take a BE bus from Busarus to Galway or the other way given the competition.

Why do you see this as a problem?

Let the private sector do what the private sector does best and provide a level of service that paying customers are prepared to pay for.

And use the state-owned company to provide subsidised services with a good-enough level of service: if people want a higher level of service, they are free to put their money where their mouth is and pay to use the private operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's keep this on "are there late busses to Dublin".

Outside of Go, Citylink and BE are there any late night/early morning services plying that route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

bobbyss wrote: »
    Outside of Go, Citylink and BE are there any late night/early morning services plying that route?

There's some other 'tour' company that seems to arrive in around 6 or 7 and they possibly have a link to one of the Burren/Connemara tours, but I'm not even sure what they're called. White buses with blue writing. I think they leave from Suffolk st in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's some other 'tour' company that seems to arrive in around 6 or 7 and they possibly have a link to one of the Burren/Connemara tours, but I'm not even sure what they're called. White buses with blue writing. I think they leave from Suffolk st in Dublin.

Maybe these ?, but earliest Dublin city arrival is 0745
    http://www.eireagle.com/timetables

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

inisboffin wrote: »

Galway Tour Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway Tour Co.

Yup, this is what I found about them a few years ago:

Run a daily Dublin - Galway and return service, aimed at people doing day-tours in Galway, but open to anyone. Same journey time and price as other operators. 7am ex Discover Ireland in Sufolk St, Dublin, and 6:30pm ex Galway Coach Station.

http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/11/buses-coaches-east-from-galway-dublin-athlone-ballinasloe-loughrea-athenry-ballygar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Maybe these ?, but earliest Dublin city arrival is 0745
    http://www.eireagle.com/timetables

EirEagle is just CityLink

Advertisement